Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
After the sequel trilogy I can't imagine letting jj near anything but as long as he's only producing and not actually directing it might have a shot of not being garbage. TNC tho, I like his cap so hopefully the script will be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It'll be fine if Abrams stays at producer, but otherwise hell yeah.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That's a big swing yes please.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

THR seems pretty convinced.

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1365356663453011969?s=19

This will be exciting. And it's always a plus when you can piss off the worst parts of society by doing something like this.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Oh hell yes!!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

This will be exciting. And it's always a plus when you can piss off the worst parts of society by doing something like this.

Cast ray fisher

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

site posted:

Cast ray fisher

God I wish.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

X-O posted:

Even better when it’s someone as iconic as Superman. I really hope they don’t play it safe and make him the Superman of Earth-36 or something like that. Just have some balls and make him literal Superman of Earth-1 or whatever and really piss off all the lovely people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DC doesn't really do that because all of their movies are canon alternate universes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Aphrodite posted:

DC doesn't really do that because all of their movies are canon alternate universes.

How does that fit with DC only having 52 universes in the multiverse? Or have they changed that?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They undid that in Convergence. Unless they redid it in some of the Metal stuff I never read.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think the latest is that there's a 52 multiverse cluster, but that's just the equivalent of a solar system in the entire multiverse.

There's more "outside" the 52 than they thought.

Also every other past erased/destroyed/rewritten/whatever version of the multiverse also exists now, so everything is canon. Again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm guessing they just don't care too much since the ending of crisis was "hey all these shows and all the movies besides the snyder dceu are real alt u's"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

X-O posted:

They undid that in Convergence. Unless they redid it in some of the Metal stuff I never read.
Death Metal made it so that All Stories Are Valid and everything that's happened is remembered by mainline characters.

So yeah Batman somehow remembers that he people, strangled a thug with his copter, had whacky adventures, did Year One, etc. There's even even special dimension/planet where all the continuity gets squooshed together.

It's basically "just tell the stories".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But didn't the Snyder flash literally appear in that special?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also multiverse is just the second stage.

A universe belongs to a multiverse belongs to the omniverse. So even if there's only 52 right now, that's just one multiverse.

I never read the stuff that does all this crap so it's hard to keep track.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Honestly I think they called it the Metaverse

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

John Wick of Dogs posted:

But didn't the Snyder flash literally appear in that special?

yeah, but iirc none of the dceu films appear in the final montage

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

yeah, but iirc none of the dceu films appear in the final montage

Yeah, but Miller's Flash appears after all the other universes had been purged, so it's implied that the Snyder movies exist in a universe separate from the Arroverse's multiverse.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I remember a little while back that Michael B Jordan was rumoured to be the new Superman, it was all just talk but that would be a good choice.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, but Miller's Flash appears after all the other universes had been purged, so it's implied that the Snyder movies exist in a universe separate from the Arroverse's multiverse.

oh that's a good point, i didn't remember that that scene occurs after

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

site posted:

After the sequel trilogy I can't imagine letting jj near anything but as long as he's only producing and not actually directing it might have a shot of not being garbage. TNC tho, I like his cap so hopefully the script will be good
I have a hard time blaming anyone for Rise of Skywalker. Trevorrow showing his whole rear end on Fallen Kingdom and Book of Henry screwed up the timetable and Leia was supposed to have a much bigger story focus except Carrie Fisher loving died. Of course the whole thing was a mess, I feel like you've got to grade it on a curve. Apart from actually sitting down before they began the trilogy and plotting out the broad strokes rather than Exquisite Corpsing it up and playing a giant billion dollar game of "here's some clues lol idk you figure it out" -- which they absolutely should have done, don't get me wrong -- I don't know what else they could've done to salvage it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, the basic resolution of Crisis was that the entire Arrowverse Multiverse merged into one Earth but that there's still an existing multi/omni/whatever verse with all the existing properties.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CapnAndy posted:

I have a hard time blaming anyone for Rise of Skywalker. Trevorrow showing his whole rear end on Fallen Kingdom and Book of Henry screwed up the timetable and Leia was supposed to have a much bigger story focus except Carrie Fisher loving died. Of course the whole thing was a mess, I feel like you've got to grade it on a curve. Apart from actually sitting down before they began the trilogy and plotting out the broad strokes rather than Exquisite Corpsing it up and playing a giant billion dollar game of "here's some clues lol idk you figure it out" -- which they absolutely should have done, don't get me wrong -- I don't know what else they could've done to salvage it.

well not throwing out everything from tlj and bringing in clone palpatine and making rey his granddaughter probably would've been a good start

site fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 26, 2021

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah. ROS isn't just rushed and messy, it's actually poisonously awful in a way that no other Star Wars film comes close to. Even considering the uphill climb there were so many better things they could have done. A rushed schedule didn't force them to reduce a supporting character from the previous film to a cameo, it was the desire to placate racists that did that.

That said, not every JJ film is bad, but none really transcend moderately amusing and functional and I hope they get someone else for directing duties. I don't think someone who is frankly a fairly uninspiring filmmaker should get a go at Star Trek, Star Wars AND Superman. Let someone else take a turn.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

As someone who half-joked that Rise of Skywalker felt like it wanted me specifically to know that it hated me, I'm fine with this, mainly because there's no signs Abrams is actually going to direct it. He's produced a lot of things, that's not automatically a sign this will be bad.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

CapnAndy posted:

I have a hard time blaming anyone for Rise of Skywalker. Trevorrow showing his whole rear end on Fallen Kingdom and Book of Henry screwed up the timetable and Leia was supposed to have a much bigger story focus except Carrie Fisher loving died. Of course the whole thing was a mess, I feel like you've got to grade it on a curve.

I ain't grading "SOMEHOW PALPATINE RETURNED and also nothing from the last movie mattered lol" on any curve.

Karloff posted:

That said, not every JJ film is bad, but none really transcend moderately amusing and functional and I hope they get someone else for directing duties. I don't think someone who is frankly a fairly uninspiring filmmaker should get a go at Star Trek, Star Wars AND Superman. Let someone else take a turn.

JJ is fine if you're rebooting a dormant franchise; I liked TFA and his Star Trek. But RoS and Into Darkness prove that he can't do poo poo with them afterword aside from remix poo poo that was already done much better.

EDIT: Also I typoed "Tsar Trek" first so insert your own Chekhov joke here

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 26, 2021

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

site posted:

well not throwing out everything from tlj and bringing in clone palpatine and making rey his granddaughter probably would've been a good start
I feel like the latter half of that is a symptom, not the disease, though. "Hey JJ y'know that Star Wars movie you weren't going to make?" "Yeah what about it" "You're making it now and you have no prep time, start shooting." "Wait gently caress what, what's even the plot?" "We dunno, the other guy was gonna make it up but he has dumb ideas, figure it out as you shoot, clock's ticking go go go" "Oh poo poo okay um gently caress Palpatine, let's go with Palpatine aaaaaaaaaaaah"

But yes they should have told the angry internet Nazis to get hosed, I'd forgotten they did that but it's definitely a bad thing they did that could've also been prevented.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 26, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi
The Rise of Skywalker

Superman Returns
Man of Steel
--Insert JJ Abrams Movie Here--

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's like a tremendous weight has been lifted off my chest.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The United States posted:

The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi
The Rise of Skywalker

Superman Returns
Man of Steel
--Insert JJ Abrams Movie Here--

Abrams is a fine producer. It's just writing and directing he's bad at.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Give me Black Superman!

MK Khat: I'm loving how when Sindel makes her appearence doing the sonic scream everyone is getting blown around and hurt by it, but Nightwolf is standing there all 99 problems.

I always liked Nightwolf, so it was cool seeing Raiden bugger off and say "Hey, you're leader now."

Gavok is Nighhtwolf good? Dose he ever rise above standard indigenous spirit man?

Edit: Is sindel's voice actor also Shadowweaver?

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 27, 2021

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vince MechMahon posted:

Abrams is a fine producer. It's just writing and directing he's bad at.

I think he’s a fine director. Say what you will about the sequels, they were all beautiful to look at.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phylodox posted:

I think he’s a fine director. Say what you will about the sequels, they were all beautiful to look at.
There isn't a single thing from Rise that's visually arresting.

Save maybe the clone tanks. And Adam Driver smirking a dumb "oh yall FUCKT now" when he Force Appears a lightsaber out of his rear end.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Save maybe the clone tanks. And Adam Driver smirking a dumb "oh yall FUCKT now" when he Force Appears a lightsaber out of his rear end.

As dumb as that scene is, Driver's Harrison Ford impression is really good, and I kinda wish we got to see more of it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

Strong disagree, especially everything on the Sith planet with Palpatine up until Rey shows up. They really nailed the creepy, oppressive atmosphere. And the crazy festival planet where they meet Lando was great up until the end of the chase scene.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phylodox posted:

Strong disagree, especially everything on the Sith planet with Palpatine up until Rey shows up. They really nailed the creepy, oppressive atmosphere. And the crazy festival planet where they meet Lando was great up until the end of the chase scene.
An empty grey rock with spooky lighting and space Coachella does not match the red salt planet or hyperspace kamikaze run from TLJ. :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, Crait's Hoth except the disturbed snow turns red.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

John Boyega
Ray Fischer
Justice Smith
Russell Curry

These are some picks of mine for Superman who are black. I realize most of these are on the young side. I think they should have a young Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Please do not start Star Wars chat again.