Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

xzzy posted:

You can get decent cones if you're okay with the existing pieces overlapping a lot.

The bigger issue to me is snapping supports to the edges without stuff clipping through, it can be done but it's even more fussy than getting curves. (which I had not yet done in this screenshot)

That is a nice tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

How many smelters do you all like to run? I have 4, but I also haven't been able to make a layout that I like with them. Needing to access 3 of the sides puts a damper on my creative spirit.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

xzzy posted:

Embrace the outpost design pattern, instead of walking ore back to your base just smelt it and make poo poo on site. I know we all want to have that amazing home base with world class architecture and every possible convenience and upgrade, but everything about this game pushes you towards remaking bases constantly.

You CAN ferry stuff somewhat efficiently once you have the longboat but you're gonna spend a lot of your time fighting the winds.

i would object to making an outpost for iron smelting. Once you loot crypts, there's no reason to go back plus not to mention all the time wasted to set up that outpost. The best way to farm iron legitimately is to ferry back to you base. You basically should just load all the iron your loot into a cart and load it into your longboat and never come back. Should be like 3 crypts per cart and never move with the cart during the night if you arent fairly new to the swamp biome.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

you also CANNOT put it on a building (i.e. flooring) no matter how open it is. has to be placed on dirt far enough away from any structure (which is not much space at all). kind of annoying.

You can place the hives on the small beams if you want to suspend them off the ground.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

CheeseSpawn posted:

i would object to making an outpost for iron smelting. Once you loot crypts, there's no reason to go back plus not to mention all the time wasted to set up that outpost. The best way to farm iron legitimately is to ferry back to you base. You basically should just load all the iron your loot into a cart and load it into your longboat and never come back. Should be like 3 crypts per cart and never move with the cart during the night if you arent fairly new to the swamp biome.

You can place the hives on the small beams if you want to suspend them off the ground.

yeah turns out you can put beehives on nearly anything except stone flooring, I should probably report that (even placing the hives on top of stone walls is valid placement, it's only on/near stone floors that the bees need more space)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Guessing it means the bees actually need grass or dirt nearby, and that message is just a bit misleading

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as someone who used to do beekeeping my own feature request is that players have to actually build hives for the bees using a miniaturized version of the construction interface and give them something cozy to use

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I built a cylindrical tower of stone which was fairly easy. I ended up putting a square wooden main structure at the top that had 4 dormers because I couldnt make a hipped roof come to a point. I needed it to go 26 to steeper or at least have a hipped cap but that doesn’t exist.

I tried to do a rounded longhouse design (a true penis of course) but the roof wont snap right. Did you put down a 2m horizontal post to help it anchor a good snap? Mine wants to just continue snapping to the adjacent roof piece in all the ways but correct for what I want.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dialhforhero posted:

Did you put down a 2m horizontal post to help it anchor a good snap? Mine wants to just continue snapping to the adjacent roof piece in all the ways but correct for what I want.

If it's me you're asking, I built off a single vertical log pole. I attached four roof pieces at 90 degrees from each other, then filled the gaps with four more pieces turned 45 degrees from the two neighbors. I couldn't build by attaching a single piece, rotating one increment, then attaching the second because the snapping would go crazy. But if I did four a time it magically did the right thing with a little mouse wiggling.

For the second tier of roof pieces it was basically the same approach, just with a third tier of rotation.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
after a slow start I'm finally feeling the awesomeness of this game

built a little shack on the edge of meadows/black forest
was choppin' wood when a troll appeared and scared the gently caress out of me
he tore down half my house but I killed him and now I have rebuilt and am making fortifications!

what should I be going for/farming in the forest? I've found tin and a copper deposit

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Really needs a better way to build on water. Trying to make a dock is a pain.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

My skills have all halved from falling off the tall rear end buildings iron poles let you make.. It's pretty awesome to build in this like parkour all the time

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I want a map editor and a custom dungeon designer so I can make the sequel to Wind Waker nobody wants

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

xzzy posted:

If it's me you're asking, I built off a single vertical log pole. I attached four roof pieces at 90 degrees from each other, then filled the gaps with four more pieces turned 45 degrees from the two neighbors. I couldn't build by attaching a single piece, rotating one increment, then attaching the second because the snapping would go crazy. But if I did four a time it magically did the right thing with a little mouse wiggling.

For the second tier of roof pieces it was basically the same approach, just with a third tier of rotation.

Yeah you really have to be innovative with the snapping as it assumes too much or nothing at all sometimes and it can be maddening.

I ended up doing a little crosshatch design with the large 45 planks on the facade, so I will attempt the curved design again with this trick on the “back” end of my longhouse.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

isaboo posted:

after a slow start I'm finally feeling the awesomeness of this game

built a little shack on the edge of meadows/black forest
was choppin' wood when a troll appeared and scared the gently caress out of me
he tore down half my house but I killed him and now I have rebuilt and am making fortifications!

what should I be going for/farming in the forest? I've found tin and a copper deposit

everything

all the tin and copper you can carry, blueberries, pine trees, and i gather thistle is useful down the line

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah def grab a lot of thistle, it's very light and very useful.

Also just in case people don't know, you can hold shift to disable the snapping.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thistles glow for a reason.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005
Quick reference pic for new players in the black forest because it seems like the fir/pine thing wasn't limited to just me.

Firs in the foreground, pine in the back. Notice they have really tall trunks.

I spent way to long before realize (googling bronze pick axe because why don't I have it yet?) there was a second type of tree.

Unlike birch in the meadows they grow in clumps, so you might have to explore a bit to find a pine grove.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

and i gather thistle is useful down the line

I can not stress this enough for new players, hoard thistle early, thank me later.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just hoard everything, if the game lets you pick it up it's gonna be useful for something. Especially anything that's plant or animal.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well, there's some stuff you'll want to ignore eventually. Now that's a feature I want in the game, a way to get rid of all these loving Greydwarf eyes automatically.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

raw meat is probably the most evergreen material to farm, I kill every boar I see

Here's 20 wolves vs a goblin camp, if anyone is wondering how they stack up

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Well, there's some stuff you'll want to ignore eventually. Now that's a feature I want in the game, a way to get rid of all these loving Greydwarf eyes automatically.

I have a "head pit" that I throw all greydwarf eyes and trophies that don't serve a purpose.

But yeah, the game should have a delete item option. Stuff like burned out torches and flint axes also don't need to be immortal.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
We've run into a bit of a bottleneck with silver and dragon eggs. We got a ton from the first one, but for the next two mountains, we had zero luck getting wishbone pings. Now we're just kinda sailing around randomly trying to find another and ended up just kind of wandering the plains. Getting kind of salty about it, with how long it takes to sail anywhere.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Floppychop posted:

I have a "head pit" that I throw all greydwarf eyes and trophies that don't serve a purpose.

But yeah, the game should have a delete item option. Stuff like burned out torches and flint axes also don't need to be immortal.

Same actually, but when idiot greydorfs wander into your base and die and leave their bullshit behind every few minutes, the trash tends to build up for no good purpose. Auto-delete or specific item pickup bans sounds good.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

A per item toggle for auto pickup would be my number one QoL feature request right now for exactly that. And bone fragments.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The resin is at least useful for fueling torches, and I guess wood is always useful in some degree.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Floppychop posted:

Chuck unwanted items outside of the radius of any workbench and they will eventually despawn.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Here's a question: Are raids and events tied to character or world?

I was considering that I don't really like raids, but if it's tied to a world, I could use a map with close bosses to kill the bosses, and then go back to my main world and keep playing peacefully in my base.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

My first boat load of Iron ore got sunk in the middle of the ocean between my home and outpost by a big nasty thing. Have i lost all my ore and inventory items/will the big nasty thing still be there if i have to go back? Seeing the faint outline of land and suddenly having the wind turn and your ship sinking was exciting but drat does it hurt, definitely gonna take a break since that just hurt so much.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 27, 2021

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Do you ever get a use for the piles and piles of creature trophies you inevitably build up? Would be cool if there was a mercenary merchant or something that would trade some resource or currency for them.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

sinburger posted:

Chuck unwanted items outside of the radius of any workbench and they will eventually despawn.

People keep saying this, but I feel like the distance needed is longer than this, or the system is more complex. We had a trash pit in my co-op group's first base, which was a few meters outside of any workbench radius, and stuff in there just wouldn't despawn.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I built a little outpost near the swamps as base, and every night its goddamn fight club outside the walls as druegar get into fights with grey dwarfs, boars and necks. Occasionally a slime joins in. Also a Grim Reaper was watching, wasn't aware I was putting on a show.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

causticBeet posted:

Do you ever get a use for the piles and piles of creature trophies you inevitably build up? Would be cool if there was a mercenary merchant or something that would trade some resource or currency for them.

Make vertical item holders and decorate your various outposts. Greydwarf shamans make great exit signs for doors because of the glowing eyes.

Use deer heads to upgrade stagbreaker and summon dozens of Eithyrki.

Toss the rest.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nordick posted:

People keep saying this, but I feel like the distance needed is longer than this, or the system is more complex. We had a trash pit in my co-op group's first base, which was a few meters outside of any workbench radius, and stuff in there just wouldn't despawn.

I bury everything at sea

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

CitizenKain posted:

I built a little outpost near the swamps as base, and every night its goddamn fight club outside the walls as druegar get into fights with grey dwarfs, boars and necks. Occasionally a slime joins in. Also a Grim Reaper was watching, wasn't aware I was putting on a show.

Is there actually a Grim Reaper in this or is it just people seeing Odin?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I have a nearly perfect three-corners biome in my seed where Blackforest, Swap, and Plains meet. It's just a perpetual charnal house of Draugr, goblins, and Blackdwarfs

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Odin cosplaying as the Grim Reaper

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

i love this janky little viking game. I made a big ol' storage building.

Odin gave up an eye to see the future and the 'reaper' has one glowing eye. The reaper that shows up is a common depiction of Odin.

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 27, 2021

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Ambaire posted:

Greydwarfs are pretty bad.

I was out boating when I saw a Greydwarf standing on a solitary island, looking contemplatively into the distance. It then just slowly walked into the water, away from me, never to be seen again. It was in that moment that I grew to doubt everything I had ever been told.

Don't believe Odin's lies.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

The only "Reaper" in Norse mythology would be Hel, but the figure in game is male and doesn't look like her. Most likely it's just the All-father checking your progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Has anyone else had a really bad boss location? The given map location for our 3rd was attached to a very small swamp island, but actually in the water. We had to build up the ground to even have an area to fight without swimming and put a "base" in very hostile territory in range of the boss. Luckily we could kind of drag the boss around our man made island, kill all spawns, and died dozens of times to get a victory.

This island is pixelated because of how zoomed it in is and my corpse is at the boss location.