Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/d/woodland-hills-roland-compurhythm-cr-68/7270330327.html dare I...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
lol no

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Is it not possible to sustain a note while recording a sequence on the Volca Keys? Do I need a midi keyboard?

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm looking for an affordable groovebox/drum machine. Something that has quite a few drum parts available and also room for a couple melodic lines. Something like the Novation Circuit, but with more than six tracks.

With sample flip the Circuit is pretty powerful. Sure, you can only play 4 samples at a time, but you can use all of your sounds on each track. That plus 2x 6 voice synth parts should be plenty to act as a scratchpad and then some.

If the main goal is to avoid distractions, Circuit is unbeatable IMO. There should be plenty of used ones around since many are upgrading to Tracks.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

a pale ghost posted:

Is it not possible to sustain a note while recording a sequence on the Volca Keys? Do I need a midi keyboard?

Turn on the Flux function before recording. This will turn off the step quantizing.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 26, 2021

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Judge Judy posted:

With sample flip the Circuit is pretty powerful. Sure, you can only play 4 samples at a time, but you can use all of your sounds on each track. That plus 2x 6 voice synth parts should be plenty to act as a scratchpad and then some.

If the main goal is to avoid distractions, Circuit is unbeatable IMO. There should be plenty of used ones around since many are upgrading to Tracks.

Ah ok, so although a track can only play one sound at a time I could have say a bunch of different snares to cycle through across that track?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Warning: dumb waffly question ahead.

I'm looking for an affordable groovebox/drum machine. Something that has quite a few drum parts available and also room for a couple melodic lines. Something like the Novation Circuit, but with more than six tracks. I currently have a Maschine Mikro mk3 and will I love that little bastard and what it offers, I get so side tracked by searching for sounds (between the smorgasbord offered from Komplete and the "vintage drums and keys" pack that can be found by googling that phrase + Reddit. It's amazing. I've used it for longer than I can remember, pretty sure I initially found it pre-reddit it's that old. Every drum machine you can think of and three dozen more you probably never heard of.) that I struggle to get beyond the building a kit stage.
Before it died, I found my boss DR202 was so good for getting ideas down despite (because of?) its limitations, and I'm looking for something that sorta fills that role, where I can use it as a scratchpad but has enough available voices that I can use it as is too. My audio interface has proper MIDI ins and outs so itd be nice to be able to hook it to Cubase like that, but it's not totally essential.
I'm currently on an 'industrial' kick (:grin:) , so sounds along the lines of the Alesis HR/SR16s, Boss dr660, kawaii R series, Yamaha RY50 etc are what I'm into right now.
My budget is in the "affordable but not Digitakt" range. What's important to me is being able to have a bunch of drums going but also a melodic element or two.

I'm umming and ahhhing over the Model:Samples as that seems like babby digitakt, but part of me is also thinking "you have Komplete 13, a bunch guitars and the suite of quality NI synths and a decent couple of controllers. Get an Sr16."

I love jam boxes. I’m going to tell you about two that you will probably love.

I highly recommend the Polyend Tracker; it is unique and endlessly inspiring. It’s all about tearing sound apart and experimenting it back into rad songs. Big screen, very flexible, also plays NES roms now, radio, fab buttons. 8 tracks, with endless bouncing and per trig instrument locks so each step on a single track can be different. Excellent metal build quality. No battery or speaker but easily powered over USB-C by literally anything. SD card, so literally endless storage.

The Teenage Engineering OP-Z is truly a wonder. It’s a magic wand. It can go anywhere; it’s smaller than anything and battery powered and has a speaker and Bluetooth and you can use it do do anything with anything. Sequence videos, lighting rigs, photos or Unity scenes, even music. Amazing sequencer, plus sampling, and expandable with some pretty cool lil karts. One of them gives you MIDI (it works for USB midi and BT but these give you jacks) and eurorack mini jacks. The other gives you a rumble pack. This is far less stupid than it sounds. It can work as a perfectly silent metronome, which is a superpower all to its own, or it can essentially become a subwoofer in your hands that make you feel bass that the tiny speaker or your headphones aren’t capable of doing. The endless encoders are amazing, the buttons are flexible and you can use your phone, tablet or Mac as a screen if you need it - you probably don’t though. The build quality is less than stellar though - it’s an experimental type of glass infused plastic that has shockingly sharp edges and has a tendency to bow over time which makes the encoders, held in with magnets, pop out. This is a small price to pay. Currently TE is doing a promotion where you get a free leather case, which I love.

The Tracker is an incredible laboratory for sound and music that will have you pushing weirder and wilder. The OP-Z is the instrument/notebook that will always be with you, that will have you finishing songs, egging you on, giving you just enough structure that you always know what to do next to make a track you could play someone.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Ah ok, so although a track can only play one sound at a time I could have say a bunch of different snares to cycle through across that track?

Yeah exactly

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Ideal, will check out some YouTube vids on the Circuit. The polyend sorta interests me, I have dabbled with Renoise on and off so have some familiarity with trackers, but I feel like a tracker is something I would put on my (underused) laptop as a way to encourage me to use it, and also keep that separate from my usual workflow.

Lockdowns aside, I live in a small city in South West England so being able to try stuff that isn't a guitar is borderline impossible, I only ever see electronic instruments in pawn shops and the Polyend seems like something I'd need to spend a few mins with and would know if it's for me or not.

(crosspost from vst thread but I'm sure there's only about 20 people in this subforum anyway)
May have already been said but Plugin Boutique are doing a 'birthday sale' til the end of the month and there are some obnoxiously good deals on there right now. Izotope Trash 2 for a tenner, for example.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 26, 2021

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

On my Volca Keys, when I'm recording a sequence the first note I play never has any sustain. Am I doing something wrong or is this just how it works?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I er...
Ordered an Alesis SR16. Those are the sounds I constantly return to and I like bad 90s industrial so I think I made the right choice for me.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

NonzeroCircle posted:

I er...
Ordered an Alesis SR16. Those are the sounds I constantly return to and I like bad 90s industrial so I think I made the right choice for me.

Hmm ok. I was going to say, I have an SR16. It was the reason I got a maschine mk3. Nothing to complain about the sounds, it was the interface that drove me mad. The mk3 is positively beautiful to use by comparison. And if I want the SR16 sounds I have the samples and can just throw them into Kontakt some time and make my own ensemble of them. No doubt someone's already done this and I can save some time.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Ah well it wasn't expensive and they hold their value OK second hand. I have the samples of it from that Vintage Drums And Keys pack that's been around forever.
For various reasons that aren't appropriate to go into here, I have found my creativity evaporating recently and I have a bizarre amount of tolerance for bad interfaces. Plus if worst comes to worst, I have midi cables and my interface does midi in/out.
I'm still mourning my DR202 that died a few years ago, plastic obtuse bastard it was I found the battles with it lead me to places I can't get to when I can go anywhere.
I love my Maschine MK3 Mikro/M32 controller combo to death but right now Im finding the sheer volume of samples/synths/sounds/farts that come with Komplete overwhelming, let alone all my additional crap from the past 14 years (even after a huge cull) and I feel like a limited, stubborn rear end drum machine is whats right for me at the minute.
If I won a grand I'd buy a maschine + in a heartbeat, and I'm still looking at the things recommended to me in this thread for further down the line which I'm grateful for the recommendations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'd like to preface this with an apology if I'm kramering in here like the overenthusiastic rookie that I am, but this synthesis bug has me very excited. It was sparked by my wife buying me a midi keyboard for xmas. I have next to zero training, knowledge, practice, or history with making music. But, I'm very curious, and have been watching many a youtubery in an effort to learn, and expand my musical tastes. The Bad Gear episode on the Korg DS-10 pinged a lightbulb in my head, and I realised I have a copy of it on an old flash cart kicking around. I made this with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEqn-Tx8YwU I'm not really interested in critique, because it brings me joy, and was great fun to make. I hope it brings you joy too.

I used to be strictly a metalhead, now I'm walking along, bobbing my head to Suzanne Ciani, and have a clutch of pocket operators on the way. At least the sticker price of anything above them made me balk, and think, "I'd buy a new laptop for that money first." Do I need an early intervention?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I had an SR16 that I never learned how to properly program and then sold. I wish I still had it, but only because I don't have any hardware drum machine/groovebox at all. I have a DFAM but that's obviously something else entirely.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

B33rChiller posted:

I'd like to preface this with an apology if I'm kramering in here like the overenthusiastic rookie that I am, but this synthesis bug has me very excited. It was sparked by my wife buying me a midi keyboard for xmas. I have next to zero training, knowledge, practice, or history with making music. But, I'm very curious, and have been watching many a youtubery in an effort to learn, and expand my musical tastes. The Bad Gear episode on the Korg DS-10 pinged a lightbulb in my head, and I realised I have a copy of it on an old flash cart kicking around. I made this with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEqn-Tx8YwU I'm not really interested in critique, because it brings me joy, and was great fun to make. I hope it brings you joy too.

I used to be strictly a metalhead, now I'm walking along, bobbing my head to Suzanne Ciani, and have a clutch of pocket operators on the way. At least the sticker price of anything above them made me balk, and think, "I'd buy a new laptop for that money first." Do I need an early intervention?

nah. get yourself a copy of Arturia V Collection when it goes on deep discount. Maybe some iPad or iPhone apps if you do that sort of thing.

Watch Hainbach’s channel if you don’t already. He’s probably my favorite of the synthtubers at this point, if only because he actually releases music and doesn’t do advertising “review” videos

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

nah. get yourself a copy of Arturia V Collection when it goes on deep discount. Maybe some iPad or iPhone apps if you do that sort of thing.

Watch Hainbach’s channel if you don’t already. He’s probably my favorite of the synthtubers at this point, if only because he actually releases music and doesn’t do advertising “review” videos

I've recently gotten into Hainbach as well. Even though I don't really use a lot of the stuff he does, his explainations are great and yeah his music is really cool as well.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

Maybe some iPad or iPhone apps if you do that sort of thing.
I just bought an iPod Touch. What are some good apps? I already have Korg Gadget on the Switch, so I'm not quite ready to buy it again (unless it goes on sale for 50%+ off).

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

Hainbach, audiopilz, alex ball, true cuckoo, look mum no computer, andrew huang, red means recording, bobeats, dawless jammin, anthony seeha, and aquarium co-op have been the rotation of late.

I'm already a ways down the android path, so I'd be looking at actual hardware synth money to do anything ios. beepbox.co has been pretty great for me so far.

eta: I really enjoyed this documentary called "Bright Sparks" about the history of synths: Side A Side B. It introduced me to what Alessandro Cortini has to say, and I appreciate his style.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 27, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I like the bad gear guy he cracks me up

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NonzeroCircle posted:

I er...

Let me know what you think of it when it arrives, I’ve been curious about those too. I honestly really love the sound for quite a few genres.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Is this the thread to talk about music software like Ableton?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
this or the vst thread but I don't know if anyone posts there anymore

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

pretty sure there's a thread for ableton specifically. Yep, thought so, here it is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148880

Please don't take this as any kind of discouragement. I'm super new here, so I don't have an opinion about what conversations should happen where, it's just meant as a helpful link.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

I er...

I love 90s bad industrial drum machines, Yamaha ry30 is the one for me. Sold the hardware ~15 years ago but still using the snare samples when doing layered snares.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Mad Dragon posted:

I just bought an iPod Touch. What are some good apps? I already have Korg Gadget on the Switch, so I'm not quite ready to buy it again (unless it goes on sale for 50%+ off).

Synthone and the moog model d one are fantastic sounding and free

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mad Dragon posted:

nah, probably don’t rebuy it. The Switch version is a total joke compared to iOS/Android but it’s not really a useful enough app to me where I’d be clamoring to get it again. It is neither the strongest group of instruments available on the platform nor the strongest DAW.

Off the top of my head:

Animoog
moog model D
Moog model 15
Patterning 2 (iPad only)
Samplr (iPad)
Fugue Machine
Figure is a fun little sketchpad with rails
Any Korg app aside from Gadget 2 unless it’s on sale
AUM/Audiobus 3
Many more (it’s hard to recommend apps that aren’t exclusive to iPad)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

B33rChiller posted:

Hainbach, audiopilz, alex ball, true cuckoo, look mum no computer, andrew huang, red means recording, bobeats, dawless jammin, anthony seeha, and aquarium co-op have been the rotation of late.

I'm already a ways down the android path, so I'd be looking at actual hardware synth money to do anything ios. beepbox.co has been pretty great for me so far.

eta: I really enjoyed this documentary called "Bright Sparks" about the history of synths: Side A Side B. It introduced me to what Alessandro Cortini has to say, and I appreciate his style.

You may want to check out Loopop on YouTube as well. He does similar no non-sense not played up reviews and stuff.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Ok Comboomer posted:

nah, probably don’t rebuy it. The Switch version is a total joke compared to iOS/Android but it’s not really a useful enough app to me where I’d be clamoring to get it again. It is neither the strongest group of instruments available on the platform nor the strongest DAW.

Off the top of my head:

Animoog
moog model D
Moog model 15
Patterning 2 (iPad only)
Samplr (iPad)
Fugue Machine
Figure is a fun little sketchpad with rails
Any Korg app aside from Gadget 2 unless it’s on sale
AUM/Audiobus 3
Many more (it’s hard to recommend apps that aren’t exclusive to iPad)

The best thing with ipad apps is that they are all so cheap. This is a great list. Note that the old version of patterning works on iphone and is free.

If you want totally stand alone, Fugue Machine is lots of fun. There's also a free version of Auxy Pro that you can make full songs with using the few built in sounds.

If you want to go beyond free, get AUM. It's a big hub / patch bay thing to connect everything together. You can then use Fugue Machine or something else (xynthesizr, etc) to be your sequencer, load up animoog or any old free auv3 to make the noises, drop in patterning for some drums, etc. and then you're off and running.

Here's an easy intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d12SNIcO32Q

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Fugue machine is one of my favorite, favorite sequencers for driving other apps/external gear.

I would check out Jakob Haq’s YouTube channel- it focuses pretty much exclusively on iOS music and it’s better than a lot of channels that review hardware. You can get exponentially more recs to suit your taste there than I could give, because there are literally thousands of apps out there, some doing really esoteric poo poo.

Apropos of which: TC-11, TC-perform, and I think there’s one more, are old (like from 2012, but still being updated) apps made by a goon that are a real trip. But they’re pretty arcane.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Also, have people decided if AUM or Audiobus 3 is better?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does Ableton Link actually let me playl iPad synths from another device or is it only for MIDI clock sync? I am trying to control an iPad synth from my MPC One but I think I'm missing something super obvious.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Martytoof posted:

Does Ableton Link actually let me playl iPad synths from another device or is it only for MIDI clock sync? I am trying to control an iPad synth from my MPC One but I think I'm missing something super obvious.

Link is just timing and start stop. You should definitely be able to play your ipad from another device, though. Depending on how you have the ipad and mpc one connected it should just work. I find AUM really helpful for this stuff even though it's not required in some situations because in the MIDI routing menu stuff lights up when it's sending / receiving and it's easy to make connections.

At the very least check which channel your MPC One is sending on and make sure your ipad synth is listening on that one. Some ipad synths make you explicitly enable MIDI, too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
yeah, my iPad works with my Keystep and my TD-3 and my 12 channel mixer/interface no sweat

you might need a camera connection kit/lightning USB dongle, and a (ideally powered) USB hub won’t hurt if you wanna run a lot of stuff but iPads and iPhones are plenty powerful these days

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah that gives me enough to go off. I was hoping that Link would let me play over the network, even if I had to physically route the audio back in through a connector, but it sounds like I just need to get a proper MIDI adapter if I want to trigger the iPad from my MPC or Tracker.

Thanks!

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Martytoof posted:

Yeah that gives me enough to go off. I was hoping that Link would let me play over the network, even if I had to physically route the audio back in through a connector, but it sounds like I just need to get a proper MIDI adapter if I want to trigger the iPad from my MPC or Tracker.

Thanks!

If you have a mac and somehow the mpc or tracker can get midi to the mac I think you can do some magic mac->ipad midi network thing.

If your mpc or tracker have midi over usb then you just need the camera kit and a powered hub and you're off to the races.

If they only do 5 pin midi, then you need an interface in addition to the camera kit and hub.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Here's something I'm noticing, and not enjoying, while attempting to get a view of pricing and availability: It's tough to filter things down, at least by categories, to find synths that don't have keyboards. It's like, I'm interested in just seeing what's available without a keyboard, at what price. But, all the instrument retailer websites I've been to lump everything in under "keyboards".

I don't have the first clue how to play a keyboard. I'm interested in synthesis, and what might be possible without a keyboard. I think I might be one of those weirdos that is just into strange sounds, the experimental stuff, and maybe down the road, become a musician after learning how to control a synthesizer. I'd like to see if there's something on the more affordable side of things, compact, battery or USB power if possible, that I can make strange sounds on the go with, but I have to scroll past a bunch of keyboard equipped stuff that cost more than my car. Is there anywhere out there that focusses on what I might be looking at?

net work error posted:

You may want to check out Loopop on YouTube as well. He does similar no non-sense not played up reviews and stuff.
Nice one. Thanks!

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 28, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

Here's something I'm noticing, and not enjoying, while attempting to get a view of pricing and availability: It's tough to filter things down, at least by categories, to find synths that don't have keyboards. It's like, I'm interested in just seeing what's available without a keyboard, at what price. But, all the instrument retailer websites I've been to lump everything in under "keyboards".

I don't have the first clue how to play a keyboard. I'm interested in synthesis, and what might be possible without a keyboard. I think I might be one of those weirdos that is just into strange sounds, the experimental stuff, and maybe down the road, become a musician after learning how to control a synthesizer. I'd like to see if there's something on the more affordable side of things, compact, battery or USB power if possible, that I can make strange sounds on the go with, but I have to scroll past a bunch of keyboard equipped stuff that cost more than my car. Is there anywhere out there that focusses on what I might be looking at?

your car costs $300?

there’s keyboard stuff, standalone modules, and there’s modular synth stuff like eurorack, etc that’s meant to go into a rack.

what’s your budget and what kind of music are you interested in making? Ambient? Drone? Robot farts and bleep-bloops? Generative? Sample-based stuff? Looping? Random?

That’s going to guide what sorts of modules you should be looking at. IMO a small keyboard helps just for being able to punch in sequences/play notes and chords and you don’t need to know very much to do that, but there’s a ton of stuff under $1k—under $500 even (under $350 even)—that’s totally keyboard free. And stuff in that price range with keyboards too. In fact, some of the most interesting and compelling synths to me under $500 have keyboards (Arturia Microfreak, Minibrute 2)

look at stuff by Behringer, Roland, Korg, Novation, Moog (Mother32 family), Dreadbox, and Arturia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

your car costs $300?

there’s keyboard stuff, standalone modules, and there’s modular synth stuff like eurorack, etc that’s meant to go into a rack.

what’s your budget and what kind of music are you interested in making? Ambient? Drone? Robot farts and bleep-bloops? Generative? Sample-based stuff? Looping? Random?

That’s going to guide what sorts of modules you should be looking at. IMO a small keyboard helps just for being able to punch in sequences/play notes and chords and you don’t need to know very much to do that, but there’s a ton of stuff under $1k—under $500 even (under $350 even)—that’s totally keyboard free. And stuff in that price range with keyboards too. In fact, some of the most interesting and compelling synths to me under $500 have keyboards (Arturia Microfreak, Minibrute 2)

look at stuff by Behringer, Roland, Korg, Novation, Moog (Mother32 family), Dreadbox, and Arturia

I hear what you're saying, but I'm not really expressing what my actual frustration is. I apologize for my poor communication.
The thing that is frustrating me, is not being able to narrow down my search with local retailers' websites to specifically target the kinds of products you mentioned. I'm having to scroll past many things that will likely never be in my range of use cases. A prophet certainly goes for more than a '97 mercury sable.

I don't really have any clearly defined goals, apart from being able to pack most everything into a bag, and bring it with me to the park, or a friend's place whenever that's something I can do again. The idea of not wanting a keyboard attached is also coming from the fact that I already have a launchkey mini.

What I was trying to accomplish was to get an idea of what might be available locally, and for what price. It's one thing to read a price on here, then have to add x% for the fact it's being sold in Canada, then do a currency conversion. It's another to look at the local retailer's website and get a real idea of what it might cost me.

I was just sharing my minor frustrations. The korg nts-1 kit looked appealing, and I was interested in seeing if there was one near me, and if there was anything else similar on the market.

eta, I re-read your post, and thank you very much for giving me some lines to research. That should help narrow down the search.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 28, 2021