Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So just as I was wrapping my head around the Time travel concept along comes the Talking cat bargain and back to square one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The Remix & Arrange album should be out soon/is already out, so hopefully they announce some kind of digital release or something. As an FYI, the album art has some really big spoilers, so avoid it if you can!

Kingtheninja posted:

So just as I was wrapping my head around the Time travel concept along comes the Talking cat bargain and back to square one.

:getin:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Only a short one today. (Everything Spoilers)

What's going on with Tamao Kurabe in 1945? She's having dreams that we can infer are about the Deimos (she tells Chihiro about one of them, and Chihiro describes it as fighting an endless horde of ghosts). As I understand it Gouto started coming by at some point and giving her pills, presumably something similar to what Morimura N-2 v2 was trying with Izumi, Amiguchi and Fuyusaka, using Kurabe N-1's data and trying to restore the original personality. But then he starts giving her different pills that make her forget those dreams. What was the play there? Kurabe's Mystery File mentions Okino telling her that her parents aren't her real parents and that she was brought from the future, but a) I don't remember seeing that and b) is that even true? Kurabe's from 1945, right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PunkBoy posted:

The Remix & Arrange album should be out soon/is already out, so hopefully they announce some kind of digital release or something. As an FYI, the album art has some really big spoilers, so avoid it if you can!

The LP I'm doing has me looking up the tracks on YouTube, and the channel I've been using just uploaded the first track, so expect the rest shortly. It's a banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jsNBCcaNeI

e: lol, it's been up for literally eight minutes, YouTube really knew I would wanna see this

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 27, 2021

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kingtheninja posted:

Yes. Yessss

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I've only done the first parts for kurobe and fuyusaka since the prologue. It's insane how just doing a little five minute chunk of story makes me stop and try to rethink the secrets of the universe.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Tomi: HOLY poo poo A TERMINATOR
Ogata: Absolutely that kind of time travel. There’s a future Nenji somewhere out there in space, I suppose!
Amiguchi: HOLY poo poo TOMI’S A TERMINATOR also Erika/Tamao is a computer voice in 2100 while she was 120 years old in 2185...? hm.
Are sectors like... hard drive sectors? Is that what the universal control system is about?

Fuyusaka: A thing I noticed is her going back 16 years where the gates have been established to be set between forty years...
More Ogatas: Is everyone a terminator and full of nanomachines?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

goblin week posted:

- Yuka rules. Is the SIU guy the cat?? I have a hearing impairment which makes me very bad with voice recognition.

Not really relevant to anything but I played most of the game on remote play with no sound because that’s the setup I was working with at the time, just wanted to reassure you that not being able to hear things properly isn’t going to gently caress with you at all.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BTW, VN-related, after 13 Sentinels, I went through AI: The Somnium Files (great game after a slow start), a fan-translated Chaos;Head (okay, protagonist is really annoying and it gets pretty gross/gory at times), and now I'm playing through Steins;Gate Elite and really liking it. There are definitely some similar sci-fi plot points shared between SG and 13 Sentinels, too.

It does have a bit of a slow start and a lot of quantum mechanic technobabble, but about half-way through poo poo gets real and you begin to get some major reveals. The main character's a lot more likable than the one in Chaos;Head as well.

I'd definitely recommend it, although I have a lot more games to get through as I plan to play through all the main and spin-off games that are available in the Science Adventure series. Hopefully I don't get burned out with the non-canon entries.

EDIT: vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Jen X posted:

I'd also recommend the Zero Escape series, especially the first two games (999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, and Virtue's Last Reward) and especially VLR. Neither are VNs, but they have more than enough text to count as such, plus the escape-the-room puzzles are a bunch of fun.
Oh yeah, for sure, I really enjoyed that trilogy (and I might be the only person on the internet that liked Zero Time Dilemma???). Also loved all the Danganronpa games (and concluding animes), just haven't played V3.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 28, 2021

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

JazzFlight posted:

BTW, VN-related, after 13 Sentinels, I went through AI: The Somnium Files (great game after a slow start), a fan-translated Chaos;Head (okay, protagonist is really annoying and it gets pretty gross/gory at times), and now I'm playing through Steins;Gate Elite and really liking it. There are definitely some similar sci-fi plot points shared between SG and 13 Sentinels, too.

It does have a bit of a slow start and a lot of quantum mechanic technobabble, but about half-way through poo poo gets real and you begin to get some major reveals. The main character's a lot more likable than the one in Chaos;Head as well.

I'd definitely recommend it, although I have a lot more games to get through as I plan to play through all the main and spin-off games that are available in the Science Adventure series. Hopefully I don't get burned out with the non-canon entries.

Steins;Gate is legitimately incredible, and AI: The Somnium Files is pretty drat rad if you can stomach a slow start, some exceedingly dumb jokes, and perverted stuff. Chaos;Head, though, really sucks.

I'd also recommend the Zero Escape series, especially the first two games (999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, and Virtue's Last Reward) and especially VLR. Neither are VNs, but they have more than enough text to count as such, plus the escape-the-room puzzles are a bunch of fun.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I love Steins;Gate because its premise can be summed up as "what happens when a complete idiot accidentally discovers time travel"

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Regy Rusty posted:

I love Steins;Gate because its premise can be summed up as "what happens when a complete idiot accidentally discovers time travel"

They aren't idiots, just...way in over their heads.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jen X posted:

They aren't idiots, just...way in over their heads.

The mad scientist Hououin Kyouma is absolutely an idiot and I love him.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

The mad scientist Hououin Kyouma is absolutely an idiot and I love him.

He immediately gets a place in a prestigious international university research team in the spinoff/sequel, he’s a smart dude!

I suppose that doesn’t stop him being a tremendous moron, but, y’know.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Not really relevant to anything but I played most of the game on remote play with no sound because that’s the setup I was working with at the time, just wanted to reassure you that not being able to hear things properly isn’t going to gently caress with you at all.

Thanks! I appreciate that.

Natsuno: ...I keep forgetting about the non-numbered characters also having their own secrets and agendas, such as Tamao being multiple persons. This one’s been a loving doozy. I now know Shinonome wasn’t responsible for the bathroom thing but the rest just adds more questions.
Sekigahara: Man, everyone’s just injecting nanomachines at each other all the time. And then infecting them, which leads to re-Juro-ing and the sentinels going hosed up in 2064...
Ogata: I solved the train puzzle :woop: and got the confirmation that we’re the baddies, I suppose. Somehow. In the future. I feel like this would be prevented were we not constantly injecting our past selves with nanomachine death programs!
Hijiyama: 🤷🏼‍♀️

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

'confirmation' :v:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Yeah I don’t know what I was thinking

e: at least ithe world being fake is something i was right about... sorta

goblin week fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 28, 2021

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Another short one today (guess what, still full spoilers).

Where did Chihiro come from? Like, who was she born to? I guess 2099 biotech is up to the cloning part of the job but someone had to carry that baby. Did Morimura do it herself? The mystery files states Chihiro's date of birth as March 2nd 2100. 2100's the same year Izumi N-2 stole the Kisaragi android from Ida, and Ida had been interrogating him about his experiments into nanomachine memory downloading; it's not implausible Morimura overheard some of this and started doing her own experiments, but her whole plan was that this was all kept secret from everybody, and, well, I don't know how close-knit and/or continuously active Morimura, Ida, Gouto and Okino were in 2099-2100, but, well, it seems like an undertaking to her to have been pregnant for a whole bunch of time and nobody notice.

Also, there seems to be a discrepancy regarding when she got the idea to do this. Gouto comments that she seems to have based the experiment off of the news report about the Newman Inc mind-hacking scandal, but it was 2104 when Morimura et al discovered that log. Am I misunderstanding?

Also still curious about this one,

Fedule posted:

What's going on with Tamao Kurabe in 1945? She's having dreams that we can infer are about the Deimos (she tells Chihiro about one of them, and Chihiro describes it as fighting an endless horde of ghosts). As I understand it Gouto started coming by at some point and giving her pills, presumably something similar to what Morimura N-2 v2 was trying with Izumi, Amiguchi and Fuyusaka, using Kurabe N-1's data and trying to restore the original personality. But then he starts giving her different pills that make her forget those dreams. What was the play there? Kurabe's Mystery File mentions Okino telling her that her parents aren't her real parents and that she was brought from the future, but is that even true? Kurabe's from 1945, right?

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014

Fedule posted:

What's going on with Tamao Kurabe in 1945? She's having dreams that we can infer are about the Deimos (she tells Chihiro about one of them, and Chihiro describes it as fighting an endless horde of ghosts). As I understand it Gouto started coming by at some point and giving her pills, presumably something similar to what Morimura N-2 v2 was trying with Izumi, Amiguchi and Fuyusaka, using Kurabe N-1's data and trying to restore the original personality. But then he starts giving her different pills that make her forget those dreams. What was the play there? Kurabe's Mystery File mentions Okino telling her that her parents aren't her real parents and that she was brought from the future, but a) I don't remember seeing that and b) is that even true? Kurabe's from 1945, right?

I'm pretty sure Morimura decides to abandon her plans to reprogram current loop kids with prior loop memories at some point, possibly after discovering that she's just a data projection. She stops giving Iori more treatments, allows Robo-Kurabe to take over Juro's treatment, and Shu only ever even got 1 dosage of memory implant pills. So I think she just made some pills to undo the effects and told Gouto to give them to Kurabe. And yes, Kurabe is native to Sector 5 (1945).

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Yeah, to close the loop I joined in on earlier in the thread, I also finished up AI: The Somnium Files hot on the heels of this game. I went back and forth a lot with AI between enjoying it and rolling my eyes, but after doing the complete ending I walked away enjoying it. I do think they were trying to punch above their weight with the moment-to-moment writing, but the overall plot was very good and engaging. They also left a few things purposefully unexplained/mysterious and doing that just really worked for the kind of story it was. I did end up using a guide for a few of the last puzzles, though, because I got bored doing trial and error with them after a while. It's not really a big deal either way, but I think the game would be better if it just removed the time limits of the Somnium puzzles and leaned into the randomness and absurdity.

Gonna take a break from VNs and then pick up Gnosia when it comes out!

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 1, 2021

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Sekigahara: the idea of a self-driving motorcycle is terrifying with how Teslas are right now. Anyway, the memory extraction seems to be hitting the usual beats any story about brain uploading does, huh? „you’re not the REAL person” „actually i am it’s fine don’t worry about it”
Gouto: he came in and stated things I mostly knew and then locked me from progressing his story until the literal endgame lol. Dude sucks.
Megumi: Y’know, she feels really naive for a highschooler. And Juro is the one with brain damage? :haw:

Also Miwako rules

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Aliens are real and it’s us 😩

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

arteliad posted:

I'm pretty sure Morimura decides to abandon her plans to reprogram current loop kids with prior loop memories at some point, possibly after discovering that she's just a data projection. She stops giving Iori more treatments, allows Robo-Kurabe to take over Juro's treatment, and Shu only ever even got 1 dosage of memory implant pills. So I think she just made some pills to undo the effects and told Gouto to give them to Kurabe. And yes, Kurabe is native to Sector 5 (1945).

This gets back to a thing I was asking about before and still haven't resolved to my satisfaction: who knew what and when about the context of the simulation? I feel like Morimura N-2 and Izumi N-2 must've figured a good deal of it out during Loop N-1 (hell, they were onto it even during N-2, since they figured out that the kaiju invasions weren't in line with causality as they'd expect). I don't know what exactly the theory was with them bombing Shikishima - I guess they figured out that the kaiju were repurposed terraforming machines and figured they could stop them from ever being designed? - but later in N-1 when Izumi N-2 goes on his killing spree he very explicitly says he's doing it "to escape from this eternal cage", and then later in Loop N he tells Morimura N-2 v2 (who of course hasn't experienced Loop N-1) that "we did discover the truth". Izumi N-2 is also the one who figures out that everything's happening because of a video game and spends the rest of Loop N setting up the endgame, but he never comes right out and tells anyone because he's just Like That. All of Morimura N-2 v2's knowledge comes from Ida N-1 and is filtered through his lies, so who knows what the deal is there, but Ida N-1 clearly understands enough about what's going on to care about putting Kisaragi N-1's data into a current loop's Kisaragi's body, and Morimura N-2 v2 is clearly missing enough knowledge that she has to do the compatibility experiment with her clone to figure stuff out. Eventually she does figure stuff out though; she's the one who eventually explains to Sekigahara and Fuyusaka exactly what surviving a loop in Sector 0 entails, and she eventually learns about the deteriorating state of the surface facilities meaning there won't be another loop, which is why she goes all in on Aegis (and why her clone then murders her). It's not massively hard (or particularly important) to hash out that certain people held different pieces of the puzzle at the end, but I'm interested in figuring out at what point in the timeline they learned (or forgot) all of these things. I absolutely am writing all of this down.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm at 100% with about half the characters and 80% with the rest who aren't gated - I'll probably finish this week and be able to discuss the game in earnest

Something non-spoilery I was thinking about though, this game more than any other I've played really asks a lot of the player, specifically when it comes to placing your faith in the game's ability to deliver on its story hooks. When I first started I have to admit the structure made me kind of anxious - you'd have a new plotline dropped in your lap every 5 minutes and I knew the game would revisit it later, but there was always the nagging in the back of my mind like "what if they don't? What if the story's just bad any never gets a satisfying conclusion?". About a quarter of the way through though, I realized the game's real strength was its ability to leave breadcrumbs such that you were always kept in the dark but you learned a little more every time you played. Eventually I just learned to go with the flow and be okay with telling my GF (who's watching me play) "I have no clue!" any time she asks wtf is going on.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I just beat this last night. Great game, but I was a little confused about one basic thing: What was the point of having the five different sectors, and having some of the kids be from different sectors in the simulation? Was it just to teach them more about human history?

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

Mons Hubris posted:

I just beat this last night. Great game, but I was a little confused about one basic thing: What was the point of having the five different sectors, and having some of the kids be from different sectors in the simulation? Was it just to teach them more about human history?

My takeaway was that having people who grew up in different time periods would have different sets of skills and ways of thinking, so that you wouldn't have a society dominated by people who all have the same mindset.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Mons Hubris posted:

hamburgers in pockets posted:

My takeaway was that having people who grew up in different time periods would have different sets of skills and ways of thinking, so that you wouldn't have a society dominated by people who all have the same mindset.

They say somewhere in the 2188 logs that they wanted humanity to re-develop from an earlier era, but couldn't agree on where to start from so they made 5 separate zones. But also, Miura is a god drat nerd, so it's a little of both I think.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
meta-chips :psyboom:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

:allears:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

:sickos:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

That's my favorite twist in the game. It's super dumb but somehow makes complete sense in context.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

source (similar goofs, many of which are Spoilers, in the twitter thread): https://twitter.com/grraveryl/status/1325102599037734912

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Instant Grat posted:

source (similar goofs, many of which are Spoilers, in the twitter thread): https://twitter.com/grraveryl/status/1325102599037734912

This is perfect

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
i finished the game

man

i need to sit down and think about things

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

goblin week posted:

i finished the game

man

Yeah man, I had to sit and think about Hemborger vs Yakisoba-pan too when I finished it up.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Agrias120 posted:

Yeah man, I had to sit and think about Hemborger vs Yakisoba-pan too when I finished it up.

Hemborger.

goblin week posted:

i finished the game

man

This was my reaction too (and everyone else's from the look of it). I don't think I've consumed a piece of media in a very long time that left me so in my thoughts like Aegis Rim.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Man it's been months and I'm still obsessing over trying to fit it all together.

(There seems to be a huge writeup with diagrams in the artbook, and I've never needed an artbook translated so badly, when I've finished my notes it's probably just going to be that except with mistakes)

(There's also a second book that seems to be just, the entire script, of every scene)

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Levantine posted:

Hemborger.

This was my reaction too (and everyone else's from the look of it). I don't think I've consumed a piece of media in a very long time that left me so in my thoughts like Aegis Rim.

It’s honestly mostly thoughts because the game wrap itself so nicely. Like at any point I expected all the spinning plates to come crashing down and yet they never did except I’d be happy with more focus on 2188 Ryoko and like, more than a sentence from Kengo Ogata.

I didn’t end up liking Megumi or Ryoko much as characters and the fact that the latter is #1 in the japanese popularity poll is the only thing that vexes me. Nobody likes me when I stumble around confused with a headache :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Ryoko is Rei and they’re both popular despite literally not having personalities.