Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Kuros posted:

Of course, mama ignored the birdhouse hanging on the patio closet door.

Too convenient, obviously a trap :birdbrain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Hey, it's me again. Why do my budgies absolutely hate their cage? They won't even go in to eat unless they're starving, or I entice them in by bringing the food bowl to them, then slowly placing it in the cage with them on it. Their cage is plenty spacious and is wider rather than taller, it's pretty drat big. There's enough toys in there without being cramped. I've kept a solid bed routine for a few weeks now, lights down at 6pm, in cage at 8:30 and covered three sides. I leave the back against the wall uncovered so they have a tiny bit of light. Chickadoodle sleeps on the highest perch, I dunno where Wasabi goes. I then wake up every morning at 8:30 and uncover them and open the curtains, then go back to sleep until 11am. I've started wearing earplugs as they won't stop attempting to break out. It's really wearing me down. I hoped by now they'd have gotten used to it, or at least started viewing their cage as a safe space. When they're out all day, they mainly perch high up and just nap, or they'll come down and play on my shoulders, so it's not as if they're utilizing the whole space of my room. They're only really active right after being let out and will aggressively swoop around the room for 15 mins. I'm just feeling real upset with the whole routine, and I hate having to grab them and put them in quickly, because as soon as I open the door, whichever one got put in first will immediately try to break out. It's just pointless stress and frustrates everyone involved. Getting Wasabi hasn't really helped, so it's not a loneliness issue.

I've spent more money than is wise on toys, treats, you name it. All to try and make the cage a place they associate with positive stuff. Chickadoodle will immediately run up my arm if I slowly move her inside whilst perched on my finger, even if it's the middle of the day, and even with treats in plain view in the cage. Only time she doesn't is if she is hungry enough, in which case she hops onto the bowl, eats, then beelines right for the exit. She's slightly better at night though, once she's in, she'll relatively quickly settle down by going to her top perch. Wasabi is a month younger than her and will aimlessly squawk and sad meep whilst chewing the bars, digging the food bowl and pushing his head at the bars. Takes him ages to get the memo and sleep.

In the morning, they'll spend the entire time stressing out trying to break free. I've never once woken up to them calmly sitting on their perches. They're always pacing or chewing at the bars. It's driving me nuts and I almost bought a flight cage today, but sanity prevailed and I decided not to as I don't fancy being utterly broke until the middle of next month. Is this an adolescence thing? Will they grow out of it? I don't know how to fix it. I'm so close to just spending a few days with them primarily locked in the cage, in the hopes they realise it's not too bad. But then the thought of them not being able to fly whenever they want makes me not do it, and seeing them continuously try and bust out ain't fun. Sorry for the wall of text, someone who's a bird whisperer please tell me how to fix this. Is it a pipe dream where one day they happily flit in and out of their cage, but mainly enjoy being in their cage / on the roof, and only come out to fly or sit on my shoulders? The budgies I had as a kid were like that, they only came out to fly.

PS: I've taken a hands-off approach with Wasabi. He likes me well enough, but I barely handfed him, Chickadoodle took the reins on that front and he's been okay with seeds from the get-go. He tolerates me due to Chickadoodle, but I didn't imprint on him. He won't cuddle or nuzzle against me, he just chills on my shoulder or preens me. So we can categorically rule out the 'they just want to be with you' line of thought.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 24, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
My conure's bottom beak has become 'long' and he isn't fully closing his beak because of it. It's not too bad yet but it's noticeable. I have a vet appt already and I know it's a thing that can happen so I'm not stressed out. I know they'll just trim it.

However, I'm more wondering about the why it happened. He has wooden toys and other things to chew on. He is on a pellet diet along with some nuts and human fruits and veggies as well. I would think that would all keep his beak trimmed. And related to that, what can I do to prevent it. I'm sure the vet will have some ideas but I'll ask here too. I made a few more toys and I'm going to pick up some more chew things for him this weekend. Any other suggestions or observations would be appreciated.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I am really mentally sluggish today so I do not have anything helpful to say but I do have a video of one of the wild conures that was crawling around the tree I was sitting under this morning. e: the video of which I will fix shortly, sorry, that brain thing double e: hooray

https://i.imgur.com/xMnaSya.mp4

If you would like to hear cherry headed conure squeaks at the end turn the sound on

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 25, 2021

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Those the San Francisco cherry-heads?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm sure they are distantly related, but there are a few flocks in SoCal too!

Everyone loves great weather.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I don't even need the sound on to hear that gif, thanks to the occasional wayward flock flying over my house.

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm sure they are distantly related, but there are a few flocks in SoCal too!

Everyone loves great weather.

Sounds like home! Hi neighbor!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra is now 119g, putting her officially below her stretch weight goal.

She is still so very round.

I'm going to see where her weight levels off at, then the vet and I are going to come up with a plan to make her diet healthier. Per her avian certified advice, you don't change diet during a diet due to the gorging issue cockatiels can exhibit. Right not, her diet isn't bad, but it isn't great either. She doesn't eat any fresh fruit or veg, because it apparently looks like a snake in her extremely strange little head.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
It's delightful that she gets to both hit her weight go and remain wonderfully round.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Qubee posted:

Hey, it's me again. Why do my budgies absolutely hate their cage? They won't even go in to eat unless they're starving, or I entice them in by bringing the food bowl to them, then slowly placing it in the cage with them on it. Their cage is plenty spacious and is wider rather than taller, it's pretty drat big. There's enough toys in there without being cramped. I've kept a solid bed routine for a few weeks now, lights down at 6pm, in cage at 8:30 and covered three sides. I leave the back against the wall uncovered so they have a tiny bit of light. Chickadoodle sleeps on the highest perch, I dunno where Wasabi goes. I then wake up every morning at 8:30 and uncover them and open the curtains, then go back to sleep until 11am. I've started wearing earplugs as they won't stop attempting to break out. It's really wearing me down. I hoped by now they'd have gotten used to it, or at least started viewing their cage as a safe space. When they're out all day, they mainly perch high up and just nap, or they'll come down and play on my shoulders, so it's not as if they're utilizing the whole space of my room. They're only really active right after being let out and will aggressively swoop around the room for 15 mins. I'm just feeling real upset with the whole routine, and I hate having to grab them and put them in quickly, because as soon as I open the door, whichever one got put in first will immediately try to break out. It's just pointless stress and frustrates everyone involved. Getting Wasabi hasn't really helped, so it's not a loneliness issue.

I've spent more money than is wise on toys, treats, you name it. All to try and make the cage a place they associate with positive stuff. Chickadoodle will immediately run up my arm if I slowly move her inside whilst perched on my finger, even if it's the middle of the day, and even with treats in plain view in the cage. Only time she doesn't is if she is hungry enough, in which case she hops onto the bowl, eats, then beelines right for the exit. She's slightly better at night though, once she's in, she'll relatively quickly settle down by going to her top perch. Wasabi is a month younger than her and will aimlessly squawk and sad meep whilst chewing the bars, digging the food bowl and pushing his head at the bars. Takes him ages to get the memo and sleep.

In the morning, they'll spend the entire time stressing out trying to break free. I've never once woken up to them calmly sitting on their perches. They're always pacing or chewing at the bars. It's driving me nuts and I almost bought a flight cage today, but sanity prevailed and I decided not to as I don't fancy being utterly broke until the middle of next month. Is this an adolescence thing? Will they grow out of it? I don't know how to fix it. I'm so close to just spending a few days with them primarily locked in the cage, in the hopes they realise it's not too bad. But then the thought of them not being able to fly whenever they want makes me not do it, and seeing them continuously try and bust out ain't fun. Sorry for the wall of text, someone who's a bird whisperer please tell me how to fix this. Is it a pipe dream where one day they happily flit in and out of their cage, but mainly enjoy being in their cage / on the roof, and only come out to fly or sit on my shoulders? The budgies I had as a kid were like that, they only came out to fly.

PS: I've taken a hands-off approach with Wasabi. He likes me well enough, but I barely handfed him, Chickadoodle took the reins on that front and he's been okay with seeds from the get-go. He tolerates me due to Chickadoodle, but I didn't imprint on him. He won't cuddle or nuzzle against me, he just chills on my shoulder or preens me. So we can categorically rule out the 'they just want to be with you' line of thought.

chilling on your shoulder and preening you is pretty social, tbh. like, that's great.

i feel bad that you and maybe your birbs are stressed but i think that some of these might just be growing pains, honestly.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mediaphage posted:

growing pains

I gotta agree with this. It sucks to see your birb being stressed, but they have to grow up and learn to sleep alone.

Otherwise you end up like me, lugging Serra's cage to your nightstand every night - with a standby battery lantern and power bank for the noise machine.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Knew it would happen, broke again til next month as I bought them a new cage. It's taller than I'd like, but I spent ages searching around and nowhere had wide cages that were affordable. The height is good though as they're quite happy chilling on the top looking out the window, and it's a good spot to scatter food for them to forage around in. Any time a pigeon flies past the window they'll scatter, it's why I've got the shirts on top, it stops them freaking out in the cage when something flies past outside. They both went to sleep instantly last night, they sat right on the very top perch.

This morning was the best morning yet. Wasabi occasionally tried to break out but nowhere near as much as he would in the old cage. Chickadoodle just relaxed on the perch all morning. They even played a bit with the toy near the top perch. It's total overkill but fingers crossed everyone's going to be happier with the new arrangement. I'm going to see how the next few days go but if there's any issues at all with regards to putting them to bed, I think I'm just going to have to toughen up and cage them for a few days until they understand the cage is actually pretty cool. It's funny because as soon as they realise that, I've got no issue letting them out 24/7, I just want to know I can quickly and consistently lock them up when I have to leave without the slapstick comedy routine of chasing them about the place.

On a more positive note, Chickadoodle has always had a fondness for squidging under my chin, and I'd sorta cuddle her that way. But yesterday was a level up in our friendship, she let me cup her with my hand and just go to town with head scratches. She even rested on her belly, and was a budgie burrito. I'm practically a Disney princess right now and it's great. This is a video towards the end of the session, was 10/10. Excuse the unemployed and dishevelled look I'm rocking. Thanks for the advice as well! I realise this is more a wholesome 'post your birbs' thread rather than a questions and answers thread, I can't help but verbal diarrhea anytime there's a tiny issue though.

https://i.imgur.com/XiUZWRR.mp4

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

https://i.imgur.com/xMnaSya.mp4

If you would like to hear cherry headed conure squeaks at the end turn the sound on

i wish we had wild conures in australia

we nearly had wild macaws as the acclimatization society wanted to release them to make the place "look nicer". it's probably for the best that they didn't.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

Knew it would happen, broke again til next month as I bought them a new cage. It's taller than I'd like, but I spent ages searching around and nowhere had wide cages that were affordable. The height is good though as they're quite happy chilling on the top looking out the window, and it's a good spot to scatter food for them to forage around in. Any time a pigeon flies past the window they'll scatter, it's why I've got the shirts on top, it stops them freaking out in the cage when something flies past outside. They both went to sleep instantly last night, they sat right on the very top perch.

This morning was the best morning yet. Wasabi occasionally tried to break out but nowhere near as much as he would in the old cage. Chickadoodle just relaxed on the perch all morning. They even played a bit with the toy near the top perch. It's total overkill but fingers crossed everyone's going to be happier with the new arrangement. I'm going to see how the next few days go but if there's any issues at all with regards to putting them to bed, I think I'm just going to have to toughen up and cage them for a few days until they understand the cage is actually pretty cool. It's funny because as soon as they realise that, I've got no issue letting them out 24/7, I just want to know I can quickly and consistently lock them up when I have to leave without the slapstick comedy routine of chasing them about the place.

On a more positive note, Chickadoodle has always had a fondness for squidging under my chin, and I'd sorta cuddle her that way. But yesterday was a level up in our friendship, she let me cup her with my hand and just go to town with head scratches. She even rested on her belly, and was a budgie burrito. I'm practically a Disney princess right now and it's great. This is a video towards the end of the session, was 10/10. Excuse the unemployed and dishevelled look I'm rocking. Thanks for the advice as well! I realise this is more a wholesome 'post your birbs' thread rather than a questions and answers thread, I can't help but verbal diarrhea anytime there's a tiny issue though.

https://i.imgur.com/XiUZWRR.mp4

that’s great!! i’m so pleased. everything about your video is adorable as well. i don’t think you look disheveled but that might just be because i look the same right now for similar reasons lol.

fwiw we also cover the top of the cages with towels. having a mildly enclosed feel really makes the birbs feel more secure in that nothing is likely to get to them. at night, obviously, the whole top half of the cage is covered.

sorry that you felt the need to get a new cage, but hopefully it’s all working out now. maybe you can sell the old one to recoup? if not, it might be nice to keep in case you need to go to the vet and you haven’t bought a smaller travel cage yet.

incidentally don’t apologize for asking questions, the thread is here for help and coping too and it’s hard not to feel anguish when the little friends are so clearly unhappy.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Aww, I wish my birds were so cuddly.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Can confirm, everyone in that video looks cute as hell :3:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
More magpie friends!

This couple are on my regular walking route. The female on the right occasionally imitates a dog bark or says "come on!", and happily takes food from my hand. The male is much more nervous, and as a result pecks hastily and occasionally misses and hits my fingers instead.

The adolescent on the left is also an eager eater, but the younger bird on the right tends not to be willing to go for my hand until it's watched another magpie do it (it also tends to do things like gently grab my thumb instead of the seeds I'm holding):

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Hmm, so Pesto is looking a little disheveled today and I think he’s been throwing up a bit as I’m finding little piles of clumps of seeds on the bathtub’s rim... however the seeds aren’t scattered as they would from a real barf session, I’m thinking they might have been intended for Mayo.

He was fine early in the morning, but around 9 am is when I noticed some seeds stuck to his chest and his feathers look sticky in places. He’s still acting pretty normal.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

You can see a seed stuck to his chest here, this was

This is around 3:00pm, I stopped by home quickly to see how he was doing. He was pretty nappy but that’s normal for that time of day. He did start singing and preening but if you look at his feathers they look sticky.

and he's all back to normal now. Feathers look all fixed and clean. He's being noisy and trying to be as impressive a bird as possible or Mayo. Oh, Pesto, little do you know if you'd try less hard, you'd probably succeed.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 28, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not directly related, but this thread inspired me to make my players in a tabletop RPG very mad at me. They're now trapped on a jungle continent after a giant parrot, eight feet long with a twenty foot wingspan, went to town on their ship, ripping apart the rigging and masts and just being a happy, giant parrot. :v:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Not directly related, but this thread inspired me to make my players in a tabletop RPG very mad at me. They're now trapped on a jungle continent after a giant parrot, eight feet long with a twenty foot wingspan, went to town on their ship, ripping apart the rigging and masts and just being a happy, giant parrot. :v:

Perfect.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Cythereal posted:

:hmmyes:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

And the locals ride them into battle as mounts.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Now have inspiration for my next D&D session.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

My next dnd campaign is 8 ft birbpersons fighting 50 ft vacuum cleaners

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If anyone tries to kill a Griffin Parrot, their character should get transported back a million years to have to fight dinosaurs.

You know, spells and poo poo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/Mwj3d3x.mp4

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I've got a wounded woodpecker in a cat carrier, hopefully be able to find some kind of wildlife rescue tomorrow. Got to be someone know what's to do about this.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Hummingbirb update:

We have egg!

The nest is so precarious, I hope it all goes well.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

I'm dead

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

linnies are great! typically they like to bathe upside down so if you start spraying them they'll hang like a bat and spread their wings out and shake them in the "rain" as you spritz. that's why it's acting like that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Having had three lady tiels over the years, I cannot comprehend such a relaxed borb.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
https://i.imgur.com/HDY3eNs.mp4

ploink

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
today the little woodpecker was very alert but otherwise not moving around a lot unless somebody tried to touch him. It was very hard for me in this part of the state but I managed to get it to a wildlife rescue. Beautiful animal, so delicate

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Agrinja posted:

today the little woodpecker was very alert but otherwise not moving around a lot unless somebody tried to touch him. It was very hard for me in this part of the state but I managed to get it to a wildlife rescue. Beautiful animal, so delicate

:five:

Good work. Pics to share?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/OzKitsch/status/1366144099967897602

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/s8OvqiC.mp4

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I'll take ten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock