Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

pik_d posted:

At 1 minute 30 seconds it says "Salem, Massachusetts 1693"

That's what I get for watching without my glasses on.

Pththya-lyi posted:

And I argue that a witch like Agatha would've posed a legitimate threat to Salem Village. She's not interested in staying within limits or in caring about other people, only in increasing her own power at any cost. Look what she did to her coven! Look what she's doing to Wanda just to learn the secret of her magic! So even if the MCU Salemites only executed innocents, they were right about a threat to the community existing in the form of a witch, and right to want to do something about it. That would make the witch trials partially justified. :colbert:

Her coven attempted to police her for violating their strictures, and the entire time she was claiming that she didn't mean any harm. Her last words to her mother were "I can be good!" Sorry, I don't buy that the witches merely existing and that by dint of existing they might do bad things translates into a partial justification for the Witch Trials, which are indeed a byword for "completely unjustified persecution," in the American Zeitgeist not because we know that witches (in the sense of sorcerous agents of the devil on earth) aren't real, but because they were kangaroo courts that the community of Salem used to get revenge for petty grievances through mob rule.

Like, by this logic the Anti-Mutant Bigots are justified in making the Sentinels and causing a robot apocalypse because Magneto, a mutant, exists and does crimes. I don't really think a MARVEL property of all things can be accused of propping up a message of "They exist and could be dangerous therefore obviously evil poo poo idiots do because they're afraid of them are at least partially justified." For gently caress's sake, Captain America Winter Soldier's entire message was "No, fear does not justify evil poo poo idiots, stop doing it," so even the active MCU has clearly rejected that.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Sanguinia posted:

That's what I get for watching without my glasses on.

Her coven attempted to police her for violating their strictures, and the entire time she was claiming that she didn't mean any harm. Her last words to her mother were "I can be good!" Sorry, I don't buy that the witches merely existing and that by dint of existing they might do bad things translates into a partial justification for the Witch Trials, which are indeed a byword for "completely unjustified persecution," in the American Zeitgeist not because we know that witches (in the sense of sorcerous agents of the devil on earth) aren't real, but because they were kangaroo courts that the community of Salem used to get revenge for petty grievances through mob rule.

Like, by this logic the Anti-Mutant Bigots are justified in making the Sentinels and causing a robot apocalypse because Magneto, a mutant, exists and does crimes. I don't really think a MARVEL property of all things can be accused of propping up a message of "They exist and could be dangerous therefore obviously evil poo poo idiots do because they're afraid of them are at least partially justified." For gently caress's sake, Captain America Winter Soldier's entire message was "No, fear does not justify evil poo poo idiots, stop doing it," so even the active MCU has clearly rejected that.

Okay, I concede your central point - though I still don't believe that Agatha sincerely repented of her crimes against the coven. Look how she smiles when she admits that the rules of magic "bent to her will." She loves the power. It goes back to what other people have been saying ITT - only people who genuinely admit they've done wrong and try to atone for the harm they've caused deserve forgiveness in the MCU. Agatha never atoned and continues to seek power for power's sake.

And "Real witches at Salem" is still a hoary cliche that doesn't really add anything to this story, does it? All it does is establish that she's been alive for centuries at this point, and the writers could have done that some other way. All they would have had to do was leave that drat caption off and I wouldn't be complaining!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Pththya-lyi posted:

Okay, I concede your central point - though I still don't believe that Agatha sincerely repented of her crimes against the coven. Look how she smiles when she admits that the rules of magic "bent to her will." She loves the power. It goes back to what other people have been saying ITT - only people who genuinely admit they've done wrong and try to atone for the harm they've caused deserve forgiveness in the MCU. Agatha never atoned and continues to seek power for power's sake.

And "Real witches at Salem" is still a hoary cliche that doesn't really add anything to this story, does it? All it does is establish that she's been alive for centuries at this point, and the writers could have done that some other way. All they would have had to do was leave that drat caption off and I wouldn't be complaining!

Fair enough. Like I said I didn't even see the caption and just kind of assumed Generic 16th-18th Century Times rather than Salem specifically, so I can't disagree with you on that much. :)

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Re: Wanda the Nexus

Not spoiling because we seem to have moved beyond it, but we’re not talking about Man-Thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sabrina had an interesting take on the Salem thing; that there were real witches hanged at Salem (or wherever they are, anyway) but they had been basically sacrificed/abandoned to the mob by the wider witch community as scapegoats. And it comes back to (literally) haunt them.

Seems like the big theme is that Agatha's probably projecting onto Wanda.

Funny thing I also got some vibes from reboot She-Ra's Shadow Weaver, particularly in the backstory having her basically becoming a magical parasite that turns other mages' powers against them and devours them.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 27, 2021

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Sanguinia posted:

2) Most of us noticed that Agatha's house is surrounded by purple flowers, the same color as her magic. Wanda's house happens to be surrounded exclusively by red and pink flowers. And there is one other character who's been associated with flowers: Dottie Jones. This episode revealed that Dottie's flowers around her house are all Yellow. And it just so happens that in Marvel there is a blonde-haired female magic user with yellow-colored magic powers who's last name is Jones AND WHO'S HUSBAND'S NAME IS PHIL. That magic use is Arcana, member of the Squadron Supreme. Which by the by is a name that Marvel trademarked several months back on the sly and never made any announcements about
Regarding this spoiler:

0) In the 1970s establishing shot, Wanda and Vision's house has small beds of white, blue, and pink flowers out front. In the 1980s shot, it's just one bed of white flowers and a lot of shrubs. The Malcolm in the Middle version has no flowers, and yes, in the seventh episode there are red and pink (and pots of purple and white) flowers in front of the house. Based on the brief colorized version where Agatha touches down before everything turns black and white, the 1950s version of the Wanda household has a mixture of red, orange, and yellow flowers. Agatha's storm cellar has some purple flowers by it, but also white and yellow ones. This seems like a weird thing to start drawing patterns out of.

1) The trademark as best as I can tell doesn't exist. Someone filed a trademark for Arcanna in summer 2020, but it's a company in California registering it specifically as a strain of marijuana, which wouldn't apply to comics or television characters and would also need to involve Disney setting up shell companies that run dispensaries or something? There's no "Arcanna" trademark from Marvel, or an "Arcana" trademark, even though they published a [no relation, except it involved Scarlet Witch] "Mystic Arcana" mini-series in 2007 and didn't bother registering the trademark for the title.

2) As for the character traits, Arcanna is one of those characters who no one really seems interested in keeping consistent. She was a late addition to the Squadron Supreme (their version of Zatanna) and first appeared in a four issue arc in the Defenders, was introduced as a lady in a green costume who either had shiny black hair or white hair with black streaks depending on who was doing the inking issue to issue. She barely appears outside of crowd shots, and the one bit of dialogue/magic she has is to do a backwards-words incantation like Zatanna to try to bind Scarlet Witch before getting knocked out. She next appears in the 1985 Squadron Supreme maxi-series, where she's fleshed out as someone who has a secret husband (Philip) and kids living in a secret house. She has more generic magic powers that alternately manifest as white or yellow blasts, or just her waving her hands and guns flying out of terrorists' hands. Because it's the Squadron Supreme, there are multiple versions of Arcanna/Moonglow, half of them are single and/or don't have the last name Jones. The 'main' Arcanna hasn't appeared in any comics since 2007, aside from dying off-panel in a comic from about five years ago. The two most recent Squadrons Supreme (including the one currently appearing in the Avengers comic book series and about to be featuring in the mini-event Heroes Reborn) does not have an Arcanna/Moonglow. Her family/husband Philip appeared across about ten pages total of comics from 1985-1989.

I guess there's nothing preventing this reveal, but there's also nothing preventing Dottie from being Karla Sofen, or Jennifer Kale, or Clea, or Minn-Erva, or Emma Frost either.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Another friend made the No! More Mutants joke to me and I spent ten minutes chuckling while making this dumb thing

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I loved the nod to Malcolm in the Middle. I thought late 90s/early 2000s themed Halloween episode seemed to draw from it a lot, but putting it next to the Dick Van Dyke show as decade defining sitcoms was not something I expected.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Blind Pineapple posted:

I loved the nod to Malcolm in the Middle. I thought late 90s/early 2000s themed Halloween episode seemed to draw from it a lot, but putting it next to the Dick Van Dyke show as decade defining sitcoms was not something I expected.

I don't know if I'd classify Malcom as a Mount Rushmoore of Sitcoms worthy entry like Dick Van Dyke personally, it didn't really become a major touchstone for the genre and it wasn't as big a hit as a lot of its contemporaries. In fact I would say its whole era of Sitcoms was kind of outshone the the early 90s and late 00s era in terms of overall cultural importance.

That said, its a pretty unique artifact. No other shows did quite what it was doing in terms of style OR substance, so it was high quality AND unique. The old Hit With Audience And With Critics that isn't quite as successful as the mass market kings and thus never quite reaches the point of bending the industry around it.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

I thought we might of finally got past people with similiar powers but different colored costumes fighting each other as the ending in marvel projects. But looks like Hex Vison will fight White Vision and the Scarlet Witch will fight the Purple Witch for 30 mins next week. Dissapointing after the show took a few chances earlier in the season.

Oh well I'm sure watching Falcon take on the mantle of Cap will be interesting, as long as he isn't fighting U.S agent or something *is handed note* For god's sake....

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

I don't know if I'd classify Malcom as a Mount Rushmoore of Sitcoms worthy entry like Dick Van Dyke personally, it didn't really become a major touchstone for the genre and it wasn't as big a hit as a lot of its contemporaries. In fact I would say its whole era of Sitcoms was kind of outshone the the early 90s and late 00s era in terms of overall cultural importance.

That said, its a pretty unique artifact. No other shows did quite what it was doing in terms of style OR substance, so it was high quality AND unique. The old Hit With Audience And With Critics that isn't quite as successful as the mass market kings and thus never quite reaches the point of bending the industry around it.

MOTM was kind of more the culmination of a particular 90s sitcom style then the originator of it. As others have noticed there's a bit of that nickelodeon sitcom vibe to it, just done smarter.

Modern Family owes itself to The Office as being the influential OG mockumentary of that era.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 27, 2021

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

So I figured that Anti-Vision would show up at some point in this Phase, but I thought it would be an alternate universe version instead of this, since that's the original comics origin, and jibes with the whole multiverse schtick coming up. It would be interesting to somehow still have both going forward, but I fear it won't end that way.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I'm not super hardcore into MCU so this may be old news as far as speculation, but I assume that some of fansites or whatever have kicked around the possibility that this all has something to do with Baron Mordo? He was explicitly focused on taking out sorcerers in that Dr Strange post-credits scene, and the fact that he's been 100% absent from the main storyline since then is curious. Maybe he's been multiversing up some crazy scheme during all the Infinity War stuff. I guess he's definitely involved w Dr Strange 2, so Wandavision would be a neat way to drop him back into the mix, though gently caress if I know how that would work. Like everyone else I'm scratching my head as to how they're going to resolve everything with one episode remaining. At any rate Chiwetel Ejiafor would fit the bill as a super-dope cameo basically out of nowhere imo.

Re: the Hayward speculation, I really like how they've handled the ambiguity about his role. I want so badly to pencil him in as the nefarious puppetmaster in all this, but I just can't bring myself to do it. The three scenarios - a. he's Mephisto or some other supervillain in disguise, b. he's just a power-hungry dickhead blatantly bending rules and abusing his authority to get control of Vision, like a more competent Justin Hammer, c. he's just a misguided garden-variety military brass guy who genuinely thinks he's doing the right thing, like a General Ross type. He's gotta fall into one of those boxes and I have no idea which one. It's a credit both to the writers and the performances, not just Hayward but the other characters outside the hex; they seem as puzzled as I am.

As the show heads into the finale, I can't help but be really impressed by the job they've done overall. I keep wanting to be irritated that we're one episode away from the end and still have So Many Questions about what the gently caress is really going on, but then I remind myself how much less engaged I'd be if everything was laid out and we all had a pretty clear sketch of how things were going to resolve via Boss Fight #2398™. I think that uncertainty is difficult to achieve when a) are telling a story in an episodic format b) with a lot of established stuff already in place c) with legions of nerds busting rear end to be the first to get one step ahead of you.

With every MCU release it becomes more clear to me that audience expectations are front of mind when they create this content, which I imagine is really difficult when your fans span the range from mildly interested GenXer to rabid Youtuber and everyone in between and you're expected to keep everyone on board and make a bazillion dollars with each installment. The fact that a franchise this big and making this much money is still able to deliver legit surprises and mysteries like Wandavision is kind of astonishing. I just keep waiting for them to crank out some utter dogshit and it just hasn't happened (I don't dare revisit some of the Phase One stuff, please let me keep my delusions). I dunno, when you've got twenty-three loving movies in the bag and probably 3/4 of them range from base hit to home run, that's mildly amazing to me. Compare that to James Bond or Star Wars. A lot of that credit goes to the source material, but still.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

rivetz posted:

I just keep waiting for them to crank out some utter dogshit and it just hasn't happened (I don't dare revisit some of the Phase One stuff, please let me keep my delusions).

Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron are both solid and rudely underrated.

Thor 2 is the worst of the franchise (unless you count Iron Fist or certain seasons of Agents of SHIELD), and even its not THAT bad.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
What happened with Thor 2? You have solid, charismatic leads and a well respected actor in the role of main bad guy. And you end up with *that*.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Sloth Life posted:

What happened with Thor 2? You have solid, charismatic leads and a well respected actor in the role of main bad guy. And you end up with *that*.

Making the main bad guy into more-or-less window dressing with makeup so elaborate that well-respected actor can barely be seen through it and also he only speaks Alien Language.

Which is sad because Thor 2 is really where they began Phase 3's exploration of imperialist ideology, the culpability of individuals for the crimes of nations even across generations, and the duty of children to atone for and grow beyond the sins of their parents. The seeds planted in that movie grew into Civil War, Homecoming, Guardians 2, Black Panther, Ragnarok, Infinity War Captain Marvel and Far From Home.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 27, 2021

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Maybe Vision is just the prototype, and Heyward's real goal is to bring his cousin Grant Ward back?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

massive spider posted:

MOTM was kind of more the culmination of a particular 90s sitcom style then the originator of it. As others have noticed there's a bit of that nickelodeon sitcom vibe to it, just done smarter.

Modern Family owes itself to The Office as being the influential OG mockumentary of that era.

Were there many single cam sitcoms before Malcolm in the Middle? You usually hear about Arrested Development ushering in single-cam comedies, but Malcolm in the Middle has it beat by a few years. I can see how it's definitely a product of the 90's, but I do think it brought something genuinely new to the format, and single-cam was obviously a sea change in how comedy was made.

I agree it's not quite to the stratospheric levels of Dick Van Dyke, but it's at least as influential as the Brady Bunch (the main 70's influence).

enki42 fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 27, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
MitM feels very much like a precursor to Arrested Development, complete with exploring the intricacies of a dysfunctional, unhealthy family and the effects it has on everyone in it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Pththya-lyi posted:

Ugh, I hate that whole "There were real witches at Salem!" trope. Not only is it a tired cliché, it often implies that Salem Village really was threatened by dangerous magic users and so the witch trials were at least partially justified. (The VVitch is one of the few justified uses of the trope because that story is specifically about the Puritans' isolation, religious paranoia, and possible ergot poisoning making them turn on each other. Another one is Hocus Pocus, because how can you not like Hocus Pocus?)
I don't love it either usually, but the underlying conceit of DC and Marvel Comics is that EVERYTHING is true. All mythologies, all sci/fi concepts, as many public domain characters as you can reasonably fit in there, and for the most part our own reality are real.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
A lot of the witch trials were also just an excuse to kill people to steal their land. Nathan Hathorne found out one his ancestors was a judge who did that and was so disgusted he changed his last name to Hawthorne in shame.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think inner atonement is fine for Wanda, the problem is that we're basically at the end of the story and she's still barely conceded an inch that what she is doing is wrong.

Robot Hobo posted:

What I really want is for episode 9 of Wandavision to open with an extended "Previously, on Wandavision" segment that explains the entire story in detail up to that point.

Done by Ant-Man's buddy, Luis.

This show has already had two episodes in one season that entirely consist of 'going back and explaining previous events'. I'm really enjoying the show on a week-by-week basis, but I have a strong suspicion that it won't stand up to re-watches at all. There's been a huge amount of treading water to get us to this reveal close to the end.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sloth Life posted:

Thor 2 took place in Phase 2 when Marvel still hadn't quite figured out how to do a good bad guy. So they'd do something like take Christopher Eccleston, an actor known for his highly expressive face and voice, then slather him in stiff latex and tell him to speak in a dull monotone.

Hugo Weaving was much scarier looking like Hugo Weaving than when he was wearing the goofy Red Skull makeup.

One thing that Man of Steel recognized was that Michael Shannon can be loving terrifying looking like Michael Shannon. So, you don't need to stick some kind of horned skull-helmet over his face.

Marvel finally figured it out with Kurt Russel/Ego in GotG 2 and showed that they'd finally figured it out in Black Panther, Thor: Ragnorak, etc.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Sanguinia posted:

Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron are both solid and rudely underrated.

Thor 2 is the worst of the franchise (unless you count Iron Fist or certain seasons of Agents of SHIELD), and even its not THAT bad.
I actually liked Thor 2 more than Thor - they gave Loki more to do, and it seemed more comfortable leaning into the silliness of the whole thing. I was thinking more of The Incredible Hulk, which did not impress me when it came out and has aged poorly imo

Masonity posted:

Maybe Vision is just the prototype, and Heyward's real goal is to bring his cousin Dick van Dyke back?
I mean I just don't think anything should be taken off the table

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I guess where I come in on the whole Wanda culpability thing is when she she envelopes the town in her grief after getting the deed from Vision, I interpreted it as her not knowing what's she is doing, getting consumed by her grief. I am not saying its right but it is relatable. Anyone whose experienced trauma emotional or otherwise connects to that because the whole world moves around you and stuck and sometimes you can't see what you are doing to other people.

The added wrinkle with Wanda is a bit of the Spider-Man curse or burden with her powers. she is super powerful but even with all those powers, people around her die and she can't keep anyone safe. Her life is literally a traumatic conga line or trying to fix her life only to be kicked in the teeth and she might think she is owed one by the universe.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

That being said I didn't really get that that was supposed to be Salem in the intro anyway. It was literally just "spooky woods and old-timey clothes," it could have been any witches coven anywhere and any pre-industrial post-medieval time.

May I be the first to introduce to you, a little TV show called Salem.

(It's bad, but every so often a grown arse naked man crawls out of a ten year old's bleeding neck hole, or something like that.)

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Mooseontheloose posted:

I guess where I come in on the whole Wanda culpability thing is when she she envelopes the town in her grief after getting the deed from Vision, I interpreted it as her not knowing what's she is doing, getting consumed by her grief. I am not saying its right but it is relatable. Anyone whose experienced trauma emotional or otherwise connects to that because the whole world moves around you and stuck and sometimes you can't see what you are doing to other people.

The added wrinkle with Wanda is a bit of the Spider-Man curse or burden with her powers. she is super powerful but even with all those powers, people around her die and she can't keep anyone safe. Her life is literally a traumatic conga line or trying to fix her life only to be kicked in the teeth and she might think she is owed one by the universe.

I think with Wanda we’re getting into “your mental illness is not your fault but it is your responsibility” territory. It’s not Wanda fault that her life has been a poo poo show of loss and grief, but it is her responsibility to shut down the Hex Dome once she comes to her senses even a little bit.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Again, the show has been very clear from the point at which Wanda left the hex to confront Sword that she's fully conscious of what's going on and what she's doing. She's grief stricken but she is absolutely not insane. She's torturing these people and she just doesn't care about them.

e: I suppose the implication from the latest espisode is that she genuinely couldn't remember how it all started, but the confrontation outside of the hex and the decision to expand the hex make it pretty clear that all the time we have been watching her she is lucid, in control, and could choose to end things immediately if she so wanted

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 27, 2021

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It's like Fietro said. She is intentionally trying her best to keep people together and improve their lifestyles as justification for not being evil for this. She knows what she is doing, and by doing it in a way that everybody has good jobs and their families are together she feels good about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if magic prison with a forced apprenticeship to Dr. Strange was the end game of this. She did bad that initially started with her not being able to control her powers. Forcing her to do magical community service in the form of risking her life with the sorcerer supreme seems like the most punishment she will get. And it's an excuse for her to learn to control her powers more.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah she's basically made a 'perfect' town where no one gets hurt if you don't think about it too much.

Also she can't be 100% consciously in control of it or else she would have realized something was off the moment she met Agnes and Agnes wasn't being puppeted by her.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

massive spider posted:

Yeah she's basically made a 'perfect' town where no one gets hurt if you don't think about it too much.

Also she can't be 100% consciously in control of it or else she would have realized something was off the moment she met Agnes and Agnes wasn't being puppeted by her.

I think comparing it to lucid dreaming makes sense. You let the dream occur automatically and control small elements. As long as Agnes appeared to match everything else, no need to try and control her.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

KittyEmpress posted:

It's like Fietro said. She is intentionally trying her best to keep people together and improve their lifestyles as justification for not being evil for this. She knows what she is doing, and by doing it in a way that everybody has good jobs and their families are together she feels good about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if magic prison with a forced apprenticeship to Dr. Strange was the end game of this. She did bad that initially started with her not being able to control her powers. Forcing her to do magical community service in the form of risking her life with the sorcerer supreme seems like the most punishment she will get. And it's an excuse for her to learn to control her powers more.

Sure but the point of "Fietro" saying that was to hammer home that what she was doing was still horribly wrong. Like, "Sure, you're subjecting these people to horrific mind control tortures, sis, but you're doing it in the most ethical way possible, so it's cool, right?"

I think a magical apprenticeship with Strange is in the offing (though I don't think anyone will be able to "force" Wanda to do anything).

Though I kind of wonder if the apprenticeship will actually begin with Agatha. Agatha would have grounds to tell Wanda "I've been where you are. I've hurt and killed people I loved with my own magic because I didn't know how to control it. Given what you are, the Scarlet Witch, I don't want you to make even more of my mistakes."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That episode was extremely bad. It may have killed my interest in this show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

JoylessJester posted:

I thought we might of finally got past people with similiar powers but different colored costumes fighting each other as the ending in marvel projects. But looks like Hex Vison will fight White Vision and the Scarlet Witch will fight the Purple Witch for 30 mins next week. Dissapointing after the show took a few chances earlier in the season.

Oh well I'm sure watching Falcon take on the mantle of Cap will be interesting, as long as he isn't fighting U.S agent or something *is handed note* For god's sake....

Falcon & The Winter Soldier will have multiple villains between Baron Zemo, Sin and apparently US Agent, but US Agent may not even have a major role in the story given that I don't think he's even appeared in any of the trailers or spots yet. Then again, between Falcon, Winter Soldier and Sharon Carter, you kind of have a roughly analogous set of good and bad characters (at least superficially), so they may just hold off on introducing US Agent until a few episodes in when Sam is more comfortable with taking on Cap's role and suddenly he has someone pushing back against him for it, with the finale being 3 similarly grouped people taking each other on.

That said, the villain being a darker reflection of the hero has been a consistent trope of fiction that far predates Marvel comics (or comics full stop really), and can be found in lots of genre stuff outside Marvel projects too. It's popular for a reason (i.e. lots of people enjoy those kinds of characters and conflicts, even if you don't), so while some projects won't do it, others pretty much always will. Maybe the first film in a saga will have it, but if it does, then the second or third probably won't, while they move on to explore other conflicts and villains.

Alchenar posted:

I think inner atonement is fine for Wanda, the problem is that we're basically at the end of the story and she's still barely conceded an inch that what she is doing is wrong.

While Wanda herself has never consciously admitted it, other characters have consistently confronted her with the fact what she's doing is pretty awful. Vision, Monica and "Pietro" have all said it to her in some capacity, and even Hayward and Agatha have edged around saying it. I can't imagine the show is going to suddenly drop confronting her with the morality of her actions at the end, when every major character in the show has said it to her at this point.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I don't think you can really say that the entire thing is grief related anymore, because she's been told several times that her actions are harming others and just ignored that and continued to maintain her own perfect world despite those objections. It certainly started due to something she couldn't control, but she's worked to maintain that control after the fact so she still has moral culpability and the show has said as much multiple times.

Everyone posted:

I think a magical apprenticeship with Strange is in the offing (though I don't think anyone will be able to "force" Wanda to do anything).

Though I kind of wonder if the apprenticeship will actually begin with Agatha. Agatha would have grounds to tell Wanda "I've been where you are. I've hurt and killed people I loved with my own magic because I didn't know how to control it. Given what you are, the Scarlet Witch, I don't want you to make even more of my mistakes."

I think Wanda might be a bit outside Agatha's wheelhouse, given the fact she can't understand what Wanda is and walks Wanda through her memories to find out, and then reacts with what seems like a mix of fear and disbelief at the end when she realizes that Wanda is some mythical thing. I think Strange might be the option just because Wanda's magic is so wild and capable of so much. Agatha at the start of the episode implies that what Wanda is doing, basically magic on auto-pilot, is some new thing that she can't fathom, so it's hard to imagine Agatha training her when Wanda seems so far out of her realm. I wonder is there a difference between witches and sorcerers in the MCU beyond the gender, since the Ancient One was female and a sorcerer rather than a witch, and sorcerer's use gestures (that create magical circles) more than incantations and runes from what I recall of Dr. Strange. Maybe Strange is just more suitable because his magic feels more akin to what Wanda is doing, and the greater scope he's familiar with from confronting beings like Dormammu and Thanos gives him more perspective on her powers?

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 27, 2021

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Masonity posted:

Maybe Vision is just the prototype, and Heyward's real goal is to bring his cousin Grant Ward back?

There's certainly NO WAY Ward could ever come back. Again. Again?

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

feedmyleg posted:

That episode was extremely bad. It may have killed my interest in this show.

Were you enjoying the show before? If so, what did you like about it?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Alchenar posted:

This show has already had two episodes in one season that entirely consist of 'going back and explaining previous events'. I'm really enjoying the show on a week-by-week basis, but I have a strong suspicion that it won't stand up to re-watches at all. There's been a huge amount of treading water to get us to this reveal close to the end.

They seem to have that Netflix Marvel problem where they had their episode order and then had to justify it.

Like would we have lost much with:
Episodes 1-2 are sitcoms ending with Monica getting found out and punted
Episode 3 is Monica Flashback with "Fietro" reveal
Episode 4 Halloween while Vision explores and goes outside the Hex and finding out it was Agatha All Along
Episode 5 Agatha Explains it All

Maybe they'd need 40 minute episodes to make that work. It just seems silly since it's one of those shows where the viewer already knows the mystery and we have to watch the characters slowly unravel everything.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
In regards to the mind stone actually unlocking Wanda’s powers rather than giving her new abilities it makes me wonder whether there was really some sort of Ultron AI source code in there or if it actually just let Tony see what he wanted to see and juice up his technology powers.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I really enjoyed the scene with young Wanda and Pietro and her family. The contrast of a young girl whose one fun thing in a horrid life was 'hanging out with family watching smuggled american sitcoms' with suddenly the bomb we have heard so much about crashing in and tearing up her life owned.

It really did perfectly sum up why her dream world made up of her fantasies was a sitcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
The television and electrical source surviving that really killed that scene for me at the time, but after thinking on it maybe she unconsciously magically kept it going?