Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Hm, okay, maybe I’ll give it a try with an FAQ. Is Ogre Battle 64 as impenetrable? And also worth playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Ogre Battle 64 smooths some things out, but adds a few new rough edges. The alignment system is streamlined greatly. The day/night cycle is far more important, and added to a fatigue/stamina system, bad timing can mess you up. It adds side attacks and back attacks, which drastically effect how your units fight. There's a phalanx formation system that's completely useless.

You spend a bit more effort on your individual troops too, as they all need individual equipment. Especially the first time you upgrade to a new class, where you'll need all the equipment. Afterwards you can buy them at class change.

It's another good game though.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Okay, that sounds fun. I’ll check them out. Thanks! The storyline / depth of systems is one of my favorite things about Tactics Ogre so it sounds like at least the system depth might also be present in Ogre Battle. Cool!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I played Ogre Battle 64 as a kid and it was basically 100% impenetrable to very stupid young kid me who couldn't make progress on purpose but dang I loved it.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but those of you who have played Warcraft 2, and have a hankering for more, might be interested in this Doom Mod for Stratagus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratagus)

https://twitter.com/SarkSweet/status/1218906178467586050

And similarly, one of the Stratagus projects - Wyrmsun - actually released on Steam as a commercial project and is still being updated. I have it and it really does feel like Warcraft 2 in terms of how it plays.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The Donut posted:

And similarly, one of the Stratagus projects - Wyrmsun - actually released on Steam as a commercial project and is still being updated. I have it and it really does feel like Warcraft 2 in terms of how it plays.

That's not a good thing though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DatonKallandor posted:

That's not a good thing though.

You come to the wrong place, pardner.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
I do have a bit of a soft spot for Warcraft 2 as it was the first game I ever played multiplayer when I was younger, so yeah the nostalgia is strong for me. Some kind of modern update to it, adding 'attack move', more than 9 units selectable, bigger maps, and maybe some other quality of life improvements (but leave the visuals alone!) would be great but that's just wishful thinking.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

The Donut posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but those of you who have played Warcraft 2, and have a hankering for more, might be interested in this Doom Mod for Stratagus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratagus)

https://twitter.com/SarkSweet/status/1218906178467586050

This is loving crazy. Wow. Thank you for linking this - somehow mixing Doom and Warcraft 2 is something I had never considered.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Are those the map sequence buildings they are using for in game buildings? That rules!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Warcraft II question, I liked it a lot but knew zero about the larger community or multiplayer. Did bloodlust mean orcs were better than humans in top tier play? Or did humans have anything that balanced that out?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Mages in some cases were better than Deathknights. Invisibility, and polymorph were unique tools at least. I've seen polymorph as an anti dragon weapon but its uses were too expensive otherwise.

Still think orc was overall better though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ogre Magi owned and Orc were better overall if I remember right.

Is there a better video game sound than wc2 bloodlust.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
War2 bloodlust was the best sound. Far better than any warcraft bloodlust sound since.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Orcs where regarded as 100% the stronger choice due to bloodlust, with the primary lategame counterplay being mage bombs, eg mages using blizzard on packs of idle Ogres, optionally using invis to get into position. The burden was definitely on the Human player to pull that off, however.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

That noise enemies make in hexen when you hit them with gas bombs, running over and picking up a big pile of shotguns in doom or the half-life sound font/ healing station sound are some other good ones.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Groovelord Neato posted:

I literally heard it in my head instantly when I read the first post about it and I haven't played Wc2 since I was like 11 Lol

Flannelette posted:

That noise enemies make in hexen when you hit them with gas bombs, running over and picking up a big pile of shotguns in doom or the half-life sound font/ healing station sound are some other good ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjn99oKfR50

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Do we have a TBS thread? I was futzing about with Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games (never quite grasped it, probably need to read the manual or something) and it struck me that I'm not sure we have a spot for those games. Not sure I'd be the one to make it, I'm not super familiar with the classics beyond X-Com, but it would be nice to have a goon repository for TBS information.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

There's a jagged alliance and X-com thread in the main games but nothing for the countless other TBS games that are slowly being forgotten.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Yeah, other than XCom and JA it feels like most turn based games are generally forgotten. Even my favorite TBS game, Silent Storm (at least the first 75% of it)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tbs games are still popular it’s just that all your units now are anime babes that can date each other and you

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
sounds cool actually

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
they're also trapped in real money loot boxes

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
sounds less cool

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I got an ultra rare shiny Dr Q

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
OK I don't know if any of you have played or heard of Fragile Allegiance but I'm going to tell you about it because it is a cool and good game that still holds up today* and I started recently replaying it.

It's an RTS where you run an asteroid mining operation on behalf of your corporate overlords. You build up your colony, mine resources, sell them, buy new tech, scout the sector and colonise other asteroids, fight alien races with (customisable) ships & also why not rain some nukes down on them too.

This is my current base in a new game I've just started
https://imgur.com/YhuO6Gv

You can customise your ships with different loadouts (to be better at ship vs ship combat for instance, or better at striking buildings)

Heck you can even buy tech for asteroid engines, build this on a poorly resourced asteroid, and set it on course for an enemy asteroid to destroy it.

You can buy other trade goods and sell them to independent traders for some profit, or not.
You can buy viruses to infect an enemy colony.

And if that hasn't convinced you then what about this box art that was absolutely terrifying to a younger me:

Look at how much fun that person is having!

Anyway it's on sale at the moment at GOG - https://www.gog.com/game/fragile_allegiance

Just a warning though, games can be pretty long and it can take a bit of trial and error in getting used to what the buttons do.

Someone is also working on a remake, although it looks like it's early days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pMz-CK5gko

* minor UI annoyances aside

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I have never even heard of this game! What a cool idea. Does it have a single player story component, or mostly just skirmish scenarios?

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
There's no single player campaign as such but there are preset scenarios. I tend to just play custom games, which give you a few options to play around with (e.g. sector size, other races). It's a very replayable game imo, although don't be surprised if you die your first couple of games.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far was a favorite. Set during WWII's Operation Market Garden, the game pits Axis against Allies in Holland during a massive airborne attempt to seize nine bridges that would allow for a northern invasion route into Germany in 1944, potentially shortening the war. In real life despite heroic efforts the operation fell short as the objectives demanded things go near perfectly and that every bridge be taken, and a bridge over the Rhine couldn't be seized and was therefore "a bridge too far."

The game had excellent attention to detail and the two opposing sides had fascinating differences that changed drastically during the campaign. The Allies had the element of surprise and their infantry units are elite and excellent at storming objectives but as they are being supplied by parachute they have almost no armor and casualties are hard to replace. The Axis had mostly second rate units in the area but unfortunately for the Allies several SS Panzer divisions were refitting in the area, giving the Axis access to tough armor but not large numbers.

The campaign was incredibly fun and stressful as none of your units can be treated as cannon fodder if you have hopes of success. The Allies need to use their initial momentum to take as many bridges and maps as possible before the Axis can get organized, and after taking the objectives you have to hold on until British armored reinforcements arrive. The Axis needs to defend the bridges but can't just detonate them all immediately as they are supposed to stay intact unless capture is imminent. It's top tier gaming to be the Allies and have your last remaining units rush a bridge and see a notification the explosives failed and need to be reset, and frantically try to make it across to seize the objective and hope no defenders get a lucky grenade throw.

For a 1997 game there were a lot of real videos from WWII in cutscenes, which in a pre-YouTube era were fascinating. Units weren't robots and morale and ammo mattered. Units would ignore terrible orders like charging a machine gun but if they had armor support or smoke suppression they'd go along with it. I was frustrated when it seemed nearly every Axis unit had rocket launchers and that Allied armor didn't survive long, while the Allies had to rely on specialized anti-tank units and hit tanks from the side or rear. Then later learned that was what really happened. Rewarding to take out a dangerous German super-tank and to know now it won't show up in later missions.

Tons of neat attention to detail like the Allies being split between US, British, and Polish units with distinct voice acting and weapons.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far was a favorite.

Nice... you convinced me to go back and check it out. I remember playing the demo when I was younger and not really knowing what I was doing very well, but even at that point enjoyed what I experienced.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Kashwashwa posted:

Nice... you convinced me to go back and check it out. I remember playing the demo when I was younger and not really knowing what I was doing very well, but even at that point enjoyed what I experienced.

Oh yeah I bought it for the family iMac after trying the demo. I couldn’t find it in a store so I think it was my first online purchase. I think it came the next day which was amazing for the 90s.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I don't know how they hold up but they re made them in the newer game engine too. CC3 is good too.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
IIRC, the opinion from the Grog thread around the time the latest game was released was that the remakes in the newer engines were okay but not great. The original games are on GOG for like $5 and go on sale pretty often.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it looks like there's a big gog.com sale on them right now actually. i had a demo of close combat 1 on some windows 95 promo disc that i always thought seemed really cool but i was too young to figure out how to do anything but watch my guys get fragged (also how i played command & conquer most of the time). it looks like all the classic ones are $3 and they all come with a free copy of cc1, so what's the best one out of 2-5?

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

Weedle posted:

it looks like there's a big gog.com sale on them right now actually. i had a demo of close combat 1 on some windows 95 promo disc that i always thought seemed really cool but i was too young to figure out how to do anything but watch my guys get fragged (also how i played command & conquer most of the time). it looks like all the classic ones are $3 and they all come with a free copy of cc1, so what's the best one out of 2-5?

I only played 1 - 3 and out of those I was big fan of CC2 A Bridge Too Far, not sure how 4 & 5 are

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The original A Bridge Too Far is usually said to be the best, what with the awesome grand campaign and whatnot. It can also be the hardest at times too, as Allied tanks get popped by German AT easily and Allied units have very limited AT, but drat if the challenge isn’t fun.

I haven’t played the others in years since they originally came out, I actually just picked up 3 and 4 from the sale and I’ll probably dive back into them after work, but IIRC 3 being in Russia became more focused on tanks than 2, and I don’t remember 4 much.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

thanks guys. i just bought all four of them anyway. oops

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

2 had the best art too I think, not quite the mspaint of 1 but not quite the super clean less colorful art of 3. Just bright green everywhere.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

fartknocker posted:

The original A Bridge Too Far is usually said to be the best, what with the awesome grand campaign and whatnot. It can also be the hardest at times too, as Allied tanks get popped by German AT easily and Allied units have very limited AT, but drat if the challenge isn’t fun.

I haven’t played the others in years since they originally came out, I actually just picked up 3 and 4 from the sale and I’ll probably dive back into them after work, but IIRC 3 being in Russia became more focused on tanks than 2, and I don’t remember 4 much.

Yeah agreed losing your Allied tanks as the German scout team carries rockets, while you have to use British teams with spring loaded bombs that don't work half the drat time was frustrating but dang if it didn't up the intensity, especially if it's near the end of a 15 minute battle with 75% of the map dead or wounded and a tank is coming down the street and it all comes down to if your team can make the shot. It was interesting placing anti-tank guns as they couldn't be moved once the battle started. Park it in the open and it can hit tanks but infantry will shoot everyone. Hide it behind too many buildings and they'll be safe but it won't have a shot. Park it at the end of a street with orders to hold fire until tanks arrive, boom there you go.

I did appreciate the commitment to historical realism that at this stage of the war quality anti-tank rockets were dispensed across German units while the Allies had no equivalent. Counterbalanced on a larger scale of near total air superiority and there being a heck of a lot of Allied tanks, but at Market Garden air support was limited and one or two German tanks could wreck a town if the paratroopers simply didn't have anti-tank weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

When the pandemic began, I bought Starcraft Remastered and Forged Alliance Forever and have been playing them for the past year. Starcraft is old hat for me (Remastered looks great though) but I had never played Supreme Commander/Forged Alliance. It's the real successor to Total Annihilation and other than some AI/pathfinding and performance issues, is really really great. I'd recommend any TA fans to try Forged Alliance Forever.

I love gigantic, continent-spanning battles, which only Chris Taylor's games have ever been able really capture. Sometimes Starcraft comes close on 256 x 256 maps with eight players, and since the game isn't burdened by 3D graphics, I was hoping Remastered would expand this to more players and bigger maps.

Still waiting for the day that technology catches up with my dreams for a massive-scale RTS game.