Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

oldskool posted:

High Scholar
I don't know about the rest of you but I see the same general pathway at the top right of the actual Golden Map that I see at the bottom left leading towards Nay on this dreck the cartographers have "interpreted".

Good call checking the tablet. I agree the trail as depicted in gold wends southwest, and does not button-hook like the Aye path shows. Do the scholars of Daucus recommend we skip the Mushy Pea(t) Bog and head Nay-wards towards Mount Scorpion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

It's flipped on its x-axis but I think you're right

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

scavy131 posted:

the Generous
:holymoley:

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

I stand by my judgement that the ruler who saw the knowledge and welfare of the people reach near the top of our metrics should be considered Generous. We could got with Queen Hypatia the Populist instead.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

scavy131 posted:

Sitting Councilmember

I think perhaps we shouldn't be too hard on a ruler who clearly had the people so closely in mind. Perhaps Queen Hypatia the Generous?

Honestly makes sense, she was so busy ensuring her people didn't starve she got blindsided by the palace intrigue.

Please don't mention we're the ones that betrayed our* own queen.

*We're not following that rule but technically the rulebook states that the House that comes in first place at the end of a reign gets to marry and install one of their own as next king/queen and that's why they get to name them.

My suggestion for Blythe the second still stands, but I also support other repeated names.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

scavy131 posted:

I stand by my judgement that the ruler who saw the knowledge and welfare of the people reach near the top of our metrics should be considered Generous.

In case this is still not part of :thejoke: 2/3 of the previous Rulers already have the monicker "The Generous" :D

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 25, 2021

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Royal Historian

Well, Hypatia's wildly popular welfare policies clearly made her such a darling of the people that she decided to embark on a career in community outreach. I say she be named Hypatia the Beloved.

Motto: Panem edant.

Proposed portrait:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Poor Queen Hypatia's rule came to an end after less than a decade, the shortest yet, so how about Queen Hypatia the Young?

e: For the new ruler, I suggest King Cleon. A classic.

megane fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 25, 2021

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

There was once Hypatia, a queen

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

megane posted:

e: For the new ruler, I suggest King Cleon. A classic.

I like this. It had a cameo as a a name in the Foundation novels for the last strong Emperor, too! Not the best omen, but certainly a classic.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

That's it, there's no more of the limerick this time, for you see the short-reign queen gets a short poem

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Sighence posted:

There was once Hypatia, a queen
:drat:

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
I support the crowning of King Cleon I, and can support either Hypatia the Beloved or the Young. Either one fits.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

TravelLog posted:

Royal Historian

Well, Hypatia's wildly popular welfare policies clearly made her such a darling of the people that she decided to embark on a career in community outreach. I say she be named Hypatia the Beloved.

Motto: Panem edant.

Proposed portrait:

This portrait rocks! Milquetoast, Generous, and Beloved all work for this monarch.

Psyched for King Cleon.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

C... posted:

Good call checking the tablet. I agree the trail as depicted in gold wends southwest, and does not button-hook like the Aye path shows. Do the scholars of Daucus recommend we skip the Mushy Pea(t) Bog and head Nay-wards towards Mount Scorpion?

Foreman

House Pinchay is also in favor of a Nayward expansion, based on an interpretation of the Golden Map's curvature. As for why someone scribbled a scorpion on there, my best guess is boredom and a lot of free time.

And for our dearly departed monarch, I have never been very skillful in coming up with names or titles, so I leave that in more capable hands.

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Now, let's count up your sins!

Senator

Yeah, I'm sorry about the whole Scorpion thing. The first draft of the map was from an archeology student who was just doing cartography for "easy credits" and... Well, the first draft had something much less mature than a scorpion.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

Nearly blind now, the monocled noble puts his face on the copy of the map given to him.

"I think they should towards the sun! What do you mean that's not on the map, its right there?"

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

eliasswift posted:

Senator

Yeah, I'm sorry about the whole Scorpion thing.

Scorpions. Why did it have to be scorpions?
(I do support Nay btw)

Also, may I suggest Queen Hypatia the Caring?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Interregnum
While Queen Hypatia I's reign has been the briefest in recent memory - just short of 10 years - it doesn't mean it was uneventful. Not only has Ankist broke the decades long silence with their neighbour to the North, Enkhal; but Hypatia's reing will be also remembered for the appearence of the so-called "Ashers" among the poorest people in the Kingdom. Hypatia's legacy is that of a ruler that put bread in everyone's mouth, be it regular or gray. And not everyone is happy with these developments.

King Cleon I seems to have a commanding lead, may his name bring glory to the Empire the Kingdom of Ankist!

:siren::siren::siren:
You have 24h to vote for the map Dilemma and to submit your tiered Hidden Agenda preferences!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reign of King Cleon I, Dilemma 1, Resolution

Vote Results posted:

Votes Nay, spends 2 Power (current: 7), gains 0 Coins (current: 10).
Invests 0 Coins in the Coin Bank (current investment: 0). Remaining Coins: 10

Votes Nay, spends 9 Power (current: 0), gains 0 Coins (current: 10).

Votes Pass and gather Power, gains 3 Power (current: 11), gains 1 Coins (current: 11).
Invests 3 Coins in the Coin Bank (current investment: 3). Remaining Coins: 8

Votes Nay, spends 4 Power (current: 4), gains 0 Coins (current: 10).

Votes Nay, spends 5 Power (current: 3), gains 0 Coins (current: 10).

Vote Outcome posted:

Envelope opened: 45

I said I won't spoil alternative outcomes, but in this case I'll make an exception. If we had picked Aye, the expedition would have got lost in a swamp. The signing "bonus" in that case: -3 Power for the infamy and -3 Coins for the expenses to mount an expedition to recover our lost explorers. So well done! You are officially able to read a map better than the royal cartographers.

Resources and Stability change:

There currently are 16 cards in the Dilemma deck.

Chronicle stickers: -

No changes.
Reign of King Cleon I, Dilemma 2

History of the Kingdom of Ankist posted:

Hall of Rulers

Storyline:

Storyline:

Storyline:

Storyline:

- Foreman/Sitting Councilmember: Phelddagrif (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: LPFinale
- Treasurer/Navigator: Omobono

- Sitting Councilmember: Sighence (also Treasurer)

- High Scholar/Sitting Councilmember: TravelLog (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: Bellmaker
- Treasurer/Negotiator: SporkChan

Dilemma2 posted:

Stakes:

Active Event(s)

A 48h voting window is now open!
- Sitting Councilmembers can send me a PM/Email with their final decision. Please consult the OP if you need a refresher on the rules!
- Treasurers can now start bribing. Please consult the OP if you need a refresher on the rules!
- Senators are free to discuss the Dilemma and provide their feedback. Don't forget that every choice could have consequences that are not spelled out outright on the front of the card! Also, please remember that the thread is the main discussion platform for your vote intention - the Sheet is only to be used when discussing high level strategy, bargaining strategies and items on the sheet itself.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 27, 2021

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Sitting Councilmember

This is not a difficult dilemma, have him send a female colleague to find what he needs instead. I see no reason to bend the rules for one man.

If he has no female colleagues, well, then he's a failure of a historian anyways and this is a message from The Great Mother that he should work on that.

Blessed be The Mother.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

High Scholar

I agree with my colleague that this seems a straightforward enough dilemma - Haret must of course be allowed to do his research unmolested. He is eminently respected and his work is of great value.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Treasurer

We can't help with power but House Gambol can still support an AYE motion through other means if needed.

E: in other words, Houses Cyfoeth or Pinchay, do you want some more cold hard cash in your coffers?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 27, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

TravelLog posted:

High Scholar

I agree with my colleague that this seems a straightforward enough dilemma - Haret must of course be allowed to do his research unmolested. He is eminently respected and his work is of great value.

Treasurer

Are you up for some asymmetrical matching when discussing matters with the other houses? You have the power, we put in more coins. 2(us) to 1(you) matching sounds good? Maybe to a cap of 3?

Only if we pay people for an AYE vote of course, gotta be careful of the fine print.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Omobono posted:

Treasurer

Are you up for some asymmetrical matching when discussing matters with the other houses? You have the power, we put in more coins. 2(us) to 1(you) matching sounds good? Maybe to a cap of 3?

Only if we pay people for an AYE vote of course, gotta be careful of the fine print.

High Scholar

To make sure I understand, the idea is that you will pay some amount of coins (2x) in exchange for us to spend a certain amount of power (x)? So with your cap the options are 2/4/6 coins for 1/2/3 power being spent?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

No, I meant when paying other houses for an AYE vote we both pitch in some gold, us more because we can't help you with power. It would allow for more enticing deals.

No offense but you've got the knowledge agenda, we aren't paying Daucus for a positive knowledge vote.

E: example, if we strike a deal with Pinchay of 2 gold for 1 power on aye you also give Pinchay 1 gold.
E2: and the fine print is mostly to avoid sneaky poo poo from us, while all bargains should be made in good faith if I spot some edge case I think closing it off from the start is just good manners.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 27, 2021

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

Treasurer

That all sounds way to complicated, lets make things simple.

House Lethe will give 4 coins to any house that commits to putting at least 2 power to a NAY vote.

Additionally, because Gambol is right about one thing, fine print is important:

If any house takes the above deal, House Lethe will commit to putting at least 1 power to a NAY vote as well. This offer null and void if no one takes the above deal.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Gambol treasurer

House Gambol offers 5 gold for at least 2 power on AYE, open to the first taker between Houses Pinchay and Cyfoeth

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Omobono posted:

No offense but you've got the knowledge agenda, we aren't paying Daucus for a positive knowledge vote.

You should pay us to vote, though, for leaving all that power on the table.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 27, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Quackles posted:

We also need to pay Pinchay or Cyfoeth though.
Since it's the only way we can get more support for the aye.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Quackles posted:

Senator

Gambol believes that Daucus also wants Aye here, is that not so?

SporkChan posted:

Treasurer

That all sounds way to complicated, lets make things simple.

House Lethe will give 4 coins to any house that commits to putting at least 2 power to a NAY vote.

Additionally, because Gambol is right about one thing, fine print is important:

If any house takes the above deal, House Lethe will commit to putting at least 1 power to a NAY vote as well. This offer null and void if no one takes the above deal.

Recommend not jumping on this too hastily, as I'm confident we can find a more attractive deal if Pinchay/Cyfoeth don't have a personal stance on this issue. E: we already did, 5 Coin for 2 Power.

C... fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 27, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Also, an interesting thought to House G:

What if, instead of teaming up to trade off majority signing bonuses (your 'coins' idea), we tried to collude to make it so that we both jointly siezed the majority signing bonus on each storyline we run into? All we'd need to do is have 2-2 on each story card. House Daucus can predict when story cards are arriving, and you're good at making deals and the like.

We could still use the coins to coordinate, and also spend on dilemmas involving abdication, deciding who would arrange to push signing on a dilemma, etc.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Quackles posted:

Also, an interesting thought to House G:

What if, instead of teaming up to trade off majority signing bonuses (your 'coins' idea), we tried to collude to make it so that we both jointly siezed the majority signing bonus on each storyline we run into? All we'd need to do is have 2-2 on each story card. House Daucus can predict when story cards are arriving, and you're good at making deals and the like.

We could still use the coins to coordinate, and also spend on dilemmas involving abdication, deciding who would arrange to push signing on a dilemma, etc.

Senator

Almost interested, until you said that it's for each storyline. I'm sure the other three Houses would object (and therefore, collaborate to resist) if we're in cahoots with such frequency.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Agreed.

We could probably collude on one storyline but more than that I think it would start warping the gameplay too much.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Omobono posted:

Agreed.

We could probably collude on one storyline but more than that I think it would start warping the gameplay too much.

And the give-and-take being built into the system would make it not sting s'much to not have this agreement.
"Gambol, you're getting all the bull signatures!"
Well, yes, but we've been spending Power to give away bikini signatures, so it all balances out

Haven't heard from Pinchay or Cyfoeth on notions of signature swaps - or Lethe, though I doubt you'd consider any system that committed you to Dilemmas.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Senator

I think for me personally, it's better to respect the ancient traditions. As Bellmaker said:

Bellmaker posted:

Sitting Councilmember

This is not a difficult dilemma, have him send a female colleague to find what he needs instead. I see no reason to bend the rules for one man.

If he has no female colleagues, well, then he's a failure of a historian anyways and this is a message from The Great Mother that he should work on that.

There should be no issues with finding someone to investigate this ancient site that isn't him, and if it's him or nothing...well, that's just rather stupid.

It is my opinion that House Pinchay should take House Lethe's deal on a Nay vote for this issue.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Blastinus posted:

Senator

I think for me personally, it's better to respect the ancient traditions. As Bellmaker said:

There should be no issues with finding someone to investigate this ancient site that isn't him, and if it's him or nothing...well, that's just rather stupid.

It is my opinion that House Pinchay should take House Lethe's deal on a Nay vote for this issue.

Would Pinchay consider taking a payment to Pass?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

C... posted:

:emptyquote:

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

C... posted:

Foreman

We are happy to hear any and all offers from the other houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Omobono posted:

Gambol treasurer

House Gambol offers 5 gold for at least 2 power on AYE, open to the first taker between Houses Pinchay and Cyfoeth

Sitting Council Member

House Cyfoeth will accept this offer.