Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Probably wouldn't change much. I've seen a deck run a shockland as a fifth dual land, but I don't think most decks would. It would be a buff to field of the dead decks that sometimes run a few shocks to hit the 7th unique land.
That said printing identical lands violates the RL anyway, so there is no advantage in doing that vs just reprinting them. The other option that gets floated sometimes is just to print fetchable fast lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It would change legacy in the sense that more people could play it, there would be no downsides.

Edit: it could make wasteland less attractive?

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 26, 2021

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
UR Delver might be a real thing if you can run 6 Volcs and not get wasted off all your actual mana sources. But overall I don't think it changes much - the fact that Wasteland exists makes basics actually really good, and fetches are the premier land even in non-blue decks because they can be either basics or duals depending on what the situation calls for.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I don't think any archetypes really benefit tbh, there aren't many archetypes that are playing 4 duals outside of infect.

If there is some shockland type mechanic involved it probably replaces some number of useas in UB shadow.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Hypothetically if they reprinted a new set of duals that are identical to the original cycle but just with a different name, how much would legacy mana bases change? Are land bases basically perfect right now?
Technically they should all change to play around sowing salt or surgical extraction or whatever but honestly people are already shying away from 4 copies of a dual, let alone wanting a 5th.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

stumbled across this in the wild, lol'd heartily and thought of ya'll

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

stumbled across this in the wild, lol'd heartily and thought of ya'll

Thank you. I got at least 30 seconds of joy from this.

Into the Ocean
May 13, 2010

I miss my old friend Deathrite Shaman. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back in Legacy.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I thought the same thing after every banlist announcement that didn't include Oko or Astrolabe, especially since the biggest argument against Deathrite was the free mana fixing allowing 4-5 color decks to be strong.

I also think this constantly about Birthing Pod in Modern. I still think that ban was uncalled for, it wasn't so much the power level as "everyone just jumped on the bandwagon so there were too many copies showing up". But then you look at that compared to some of the other poo poo in the format now and I wonder....why can they unban JTMS and Stoneforge Mystic but not this thing? I don't even know that a pod deck would be playable right now.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I thought the same thing after every banlist announcement that didn't include Oko or Astrolabe, especially since the biggest argument against Deathrite was the free mana fixing allowing 4-5 color decks to be strong.

I also think this constantly about Birthing Pod in Modern. I still think that ban was uncalled for, it wasn't so much the power level as "everyone just jumped on the bandwagon so there were too many copies showing up". But then you look at that compared to some of the other poo poo in the format now and I wonder....why can they unban JTMS and Stoneforge Mystic but not this thing? I don't even know that a pod deck would be playable right now.

I think Pod would be very playable in Modern. Not sure about bannable, but it seems like it would fit really nicely into the Heliod Company decks with some redesigning.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Stoneforge Mystic without Jitte is less powerful than Pod.

Pod would still be good enough, Skyclave Apparition alone is such an enormous card for the deck that has been printed in the last 2 sets.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Into the Ocean posted:

I miss my old friend Deathrite Shaman. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back in Legacy.

OK but then the fetches get axed. You can't have both in the format.

Into the Ocean
May 13, 2010

I just miss playing any type of midrange with it.
It is a very fun card though - mini Planeswalker!

Into the Ocean fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 10, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm hemming and hawing on pulling the trigger on a year of Manatraders, right as Arena gets lit as gently caress with brainstorm and storm and other such fun.

The fact that WoTC is just jamming all that poo poo into Historic at once makes me realize I was wrong about what they want the format to be, power levelwise and mechanically. I will be a bit surprised if we don't get some of this stuff banned, because there's enough coming in that I expect we're going to have at least 1-2 tier 0 decks emerge. Time will tell. I'll be trying to force fetchland esper control, of course. After buying the Japanese alt art cosmetic for Brainstorm.

Meanwhile I'm just going to be a dick and point out that Reserve List Card Illusions Of Grandeur, despite having roughly doubled like everything else, is still below its all time high. Running a TCG buyout on this card would only cost $1800. I offered to split it with a friend, who declined. I made the same offer when we could have bought out Thawing Glaciers at $7 for about $3000; in that case we would have done real well. I'm not doing any of this on my own because I think it's dumb, counterproductive to my beliefs on the reserve list, and generally a waste of money. If I had a couple friends splitting and egging me on I would probably burn the cash and overcome the morality just so I could check "organized and attempted a magic card buyout over the internet" off my bucket list.

to be clear I was very sure that Thawing Glaciers was a very solid bet because the card is absolutely stupid in casual EDH. I am much less certain on this one; it's a unique effect, but it's not a killshot in EDH, and even though Legacy has dicked with it from time to time it's not much of a card.

I'm kinda headfucked by Legacy prices, honestly. If stuff goes up another 25-50% I am going to be in a situation where suddenly I am breaking my basic rule of "do not have more than 15% of net worth in collectables" and I might just sell half of it and pay my mortgage for six months? It hurts my balls to think about doing that, but, money is money and food is food and roofs that are fixed don't leak.

Fetches are never leaving legacy, and DRS isn't coming back unless something gets really FIREd up.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 31, 2021

Eikre
May 2, 2009
So, I had this Modern fascination a few years ago that I never got around to actually doing anything with.

You see where I'm going with this? Like, yeah, the only thing you're looking at there is a four-card win condition, but I think it would plug in pretty well to U/G acceleration infrastructure, and the areas that you get to research for antecedents are Amulet Bloom, Reliquary Knight, and I guess whatever Mill is supposed to have beyond mere style (you would almost certainly need Surgical Extraction, for example). I feel like there could be some pretty transformational sideboard action.

I've been away from the game since about 2016 so I'm gonna be perusing new card lists but I wanted to slap the idea on the table and see if it spoke to anybody. Is this already a thing? Seen it happen before? Any ideas that leap out at you?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Eikre posted:

I've been away from the game since about 2016 so I'm gonna be perusing new card lists but I wanted to slap the idea on the table and see if it spoke to anybody. Is this already a thing? Seen it happen before? Any ideas that leap out at you?

Oh no

You may want to be sitting for your card/deck refresher, a lot has happened in five years. As to your actual combo, what purpose does Amulet serve? AFAICT you don't actually need to tap Growth Chamber to go off with this setup. Is it just to be able to ramp?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 23, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Iirc Knight of the Reliquary was a combo with Retreat to Coralhelm for a while, you could generate a lot of mana going through your deck and give it trample with Kessig Wolf Run.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Eikre posted:

So, I had this Modern fascination a few years ago that I never got around to actually doing anything with.

You see where I'm going with this? Like, yeah, the only thing you're looking at there is a four-card win condition, but I think it would plug in pretty well to U/G acceleration infrastructure, and the areas that you get to research for antecedents are Amulet Bloom, Reliquary Knight, and I guess whatever Mill is supposed to have beyond mere style (you would almost certainly need Surgical Extraction, for example). I feel like there could be some pretty transformational sideboard action.

You can't play combos like this in modern anymore. It folds to every single commonly played 1 mana removal spell in the game. Modern is very, very fast and if your gameplan resolves around having 2 1 mana creatures stick around long enough for you to play your 3 mana do nothing enchantment you're gonna have a bad time

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Eikre posted:

Add knight of the Relequary, Dryad of the Elysean Grove, Valakut, and Primeval titan.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Paul Zuvella posted:

You can't play combos like this in modern anymore. It folds to every single commonly played 1 mana removal spell in the game. Modern is very, very fast and if your gameplan resolves around having 2 1 mana creatures stick around long enough for you to play your 3 mana do nothing enchantment you're gonna have a bad time

Agreed. I played Izzet Blitz recently and my round 1 opponent was playing some Luka Emrakul deck I guess. I don't really know because I killed him before he could so anything interesting in either game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
On MtgArena you can play a mill deck using crabs that is called CrabSong. It’s not good, but it can win games of Standard just fine, but it’s pretty much the only play you can mill people with crabs right now.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Oh no

You may want to be sitting for your card/deck refresher, a lot has happened in five years. As to your actual combo, what purpose does Amulet serve? AFAICT you don't actually need to tap Growth Chamber to go off with this setup. Is it just to be able to ramp?

Well. Yeah. I mean, hypothetically, if you drew Scout/Coral/Chamber/Amulet and weren't contested, you could have unlimited U/G mana on turn 3. Shoot, Scout and Coralheim on the field let you immediately drop all the land in your Blue'd-up hand. But although it's a cute little assembly- well, I don't need to say it, the consensus is immediate: this will not survive to make a victory without a vicious shell of a deck protecting and supporting it. Since you're already in U/G landfall, the most obvious place to go is to ramp mana into control and card draw into more ramp.

See, while the Coralheim/Scout play is, itself, a cheeky take on the Knight of the Reliquary combo (which has had a respectable presence in modern; I would believe that it's fallen behind, but you know it's not total bullshit), it's the Amulet that gives me confidence. Modern Amulet Bloom was a loving amazing deck, it was pushing turn 2 wins, it caught a targeted ban. The part of it that needs to be replaced is Summer Bloom, which was the land-drop enabler; Sakura-Tribe Scout is not as good, but it's the kind of thing that's available. One imagines that you'd have other support, too, but I'll need to research the post-ban talk about the archetype and get back to you on it. But, Coralheim distinguishes itself on the list of options by taking you infinite. And then you figure, hey, if this is covering half of what Knight of the Reliquary does, why not throw in the other half, too? The Crab is cheaper, it's in a color you already know you're using, it wins directly instead of just giving you a 20/20 creature, and milling an opponent out is fukkin rude. That's the thought process: remediate a fallen but formerly degenerate strategy in a direction that intersects with two other decks that you might be able to steal from or sideboard into- one which was historically good (Knight) and one which is terrible and isn't allowed to win (Mill), but since all the cards that are designed to support it are balanced against the fact that the strategy is terrible and isn't allowed to win, there's a slim chance it could push something good against the right target.

If the format has really moved on to the degree that this is plainly a suicidal venture, then I'll just silently tinker with it and maybe see about taking it out around Modern players who are still saving up to complete their decks.

Still, though... I see enough of a confluence of interesting behaviors that I think it could be a cut above the usual Timmy heartbreaker. That's how Amulet Bloom started, too. The pieces for it were around for years before somebody broke through with the right deck list. I'm not a guy who can do that a second time, but I wanna have the cards.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Amulet titan is very much still a deck. So if you were that in love with amulet bloom then there is a clear analogue for you still

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I am gradually gearing up towards paper; I figure it'll be Dec/Jan before I try to do any Legacy things (hopefully LaL), but I could see myself doing modern FNMs again as soon as the fall when our kid is in preschool and we're sort of assuming some level of risk, but also assuming case counts here are going to be lower than they are now because vaccine uptake here has been fantastic.

I'm down my Chains, but back up to 4 cradles for Legacy, and I will just need Dino Bois and a lot, a lot, a lot of relevant recent practice with that deck; I might sell some cardboard to actually buy it on MTGO.

I turned Manatraders back on to start messing with modern. I am just assuming I will end up playing some mix of UW control and some kind of Urza deck, once the meta settles over the next 6-8 weeks, but I also went ahead and ordered a foil borderless playset of Elvish Warmaster, because the card is fairly broken and I want to mess with Elves again in Modern, even if it's still pretty tier 2.5 and likely has some nearly unwinnable matchups. I haven't touched the deck since the early Shaman of the Pack era, but I've played with Warmaster enough in Historic to think it's fairly bonkers and am unsurprised to see it as a 4 of replacing 1-drop dorks in the current modern lists.

Quirion ranger and yavimaya make it a little tempting to tinker with Growing rites; I've been blown out by the card in Historic, and Yavimaya lets you do some dumb stuff. But, maybe just untapping Elvish Archdruid is good enough and Growing Rites is still a trap.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Modern Affinity is a pretty loving funny budget deck

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Hammer is a pretty good deck too

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Picked up the cards for uw hammer in modern and I’m gonna run it with two misers invisible stalker, let’s go.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I just kind of don't feel legacy anymore, which sucks because it was the last magic format I really enjoyed. All the new poo poo they put in just isn't fun, I hate all the random 2 card perfect combo type poo poo they plug in with the MH sets, I hate how everything has to be a must answer game winning card, I just want value to matter.

Like the only card they've printed recently I think legacy really benefited from in a fun way is Expressive Iteration. Everything else since MH1 could get axed and I'd be happier with the format.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

I just want value to matter.

have you tried limited

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Skyl3lazer posted:

I just kind of don't feel legacy anymore, which sucks because it was the last magic format I really enjoyed. All the new poo poo they put in just isn't fun, I hate all the random 2 card perfect combo type poo poo they plug in with the MH sets, I hate how everything has to be a must answer game winning card, I just want value to matter.

Like the only card they've printed recently I think legacy really benefited from in a fun way is Expressive Iteration. Everything else since MH1 could get axed and I'd be happier with the format.

Might I suggest pauper?

kalel posted:

have you tried limited

I used to play pre-releases, and draft. But now the companion app makes cross pod play mandatory at drafts and I am now retired from limited.

Pauper still rocks.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

But now the companion app makes cross pod play mandatory at drafts

What the gently caress is this? Hate-drafting and knowing what's in your opponents deck are 2 key features of draft I thought?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

L0cke17 posted:

What the gently caress is this? Hate-drafting and knowing what's in your opponents deck are 2 key features of draft I thought?

Have you ever been in a 6 person pod and played against someone from an 8 person pod whose deck is the same archetype but better in every possible way because they saw 6 extra packs worth of cards?

Because I have, and it’s the reason I don’t play flgs drafts anymore.

Maybe I’ll come out of limited retirement at a face to face open if i scrub out of a main event

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

Have you ever been in a 6 person pod and played against someone from an 8 person pod whose deck is the same archetype but better in every possible way because they saw 6 extra packs worth of cards?

Maybe I’ll come out of limited retirement at a face to face open if i scrub out of a main event

I've unfortunately avoided all in-person events since the plague hit. I've got a baby who still cant get his shots yet.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

L0cke17 posted:

I've unfortunately avoided all in-person events since the plague hit. I've got a baby who still cant get his shots yet.

All the Canadian paper events (that I’ve been to) are mandatory masks which is good. Also my partner and I are fine with that DINK life. But keeping your child safe is more important than wizard poker.

I hope to have some reviews for invisible stalker hammer soon. Also bant humans (and more spirits talk when possible)

Edit: does anyone know what’s up with the pioneer meta right now?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

Isn't the format dominated by UR aggro

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mezzanon posted:

No, we just did a 13 person draft. It was a nightmare and I'll never draft at that store again.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

YggdrasilTM posted:

Isn't the format dominated by UR aggro

Yeah but the wrong kind, meaning the deck I played 7 years ago isn't good anymore

edit: I mean I get this as well, and when I ever get to play modern in paper again (fat chance with a new baby) I will try to jam 4 Bobs in my deck even if they are bad now

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Delver very good, doomsday very good at the moment. Apparently lands as well

On the plus side I'm 4-1-1 with cloudpost over the past 2 weeks and get to play a bigger tournament today

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 16, 2022

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

Delver very good, doomsday very good at the moment. Apparently lands as well

On the plus side I'm 4-1-1 with cloudpost over the past 2 weeks and get to play a bigger tournament today

Want that full tournament report when you finish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I know there was a big legacy (106 players) and modern (even more) tourney in Birmingham last week. Autumn went undefeated in both on 8 cast in legacy and not sure for modern.

I think it'll be like 30ish people today so not super big. I don't have pen or paper so I'll remember as best I can lol