Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/26/01

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 12/23/45

Smokey Stover 8/27/39

I'm not really sure whether this is supposed to be a blackface joke or just "lol they've got paint all over them," but let's play it safe.

Richard's Poor Almanac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Where's my loving money

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PetraCore posted:

See, I interpreted it differently, which is that Gordon is a kid who loves his parents which is a position that makes it so much harder to really accept when they're hurting you and to try to get away. Obviously Lynn has her own complicated history, but part of that is I thought she was physically abused growing up, and she had a really hard time cutting her parents out of her life because the idea that 'family trumps all' had been so ingrained in her by her parents. So, uh, I don't think she's writing Gordon as 'everyone should just forgive me no matter what because I'm sad', but 'this is how I felt growing up about my parents'.

To add to this, abusive parents feeling remorse after the fact is a thing that can happen, and Gordon's reaction to that is not at all atypical.

Lynn isn't trying to make us feel bad for an abuser. Lynn is just depicting abuse.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Schwarzwald posted:

To add to this, abusive parents feeling remorse after the fact is a thing that can happen, and Gordon's reaction to that is not at all atypical.

Lynn isn't trying to make us feel bad for an abuser. Lynn is just depicting abuse.
Right, exactly. Rather than it being notable that he cried, I thought it was notable that he didn't even apologize. It's not portraying him well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Selachian posted:

I'm not really sure whether this is supposed to be a blackface joke or just "lol they've got paint all over them," but let's play it safe.

The dialogue in the last panel 100% indicates that it's a blackface joke

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm just impressed that they have, in Bernice, created a character more instantly hateful than the most artfully constructed villain, and entirely by mistake.

goatface posted:

She is a more complete villain than Chatu (The Python!).

I'm sure she'd give the Phantom ebola, too.

B Kliban

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set doesn't like to admit they do product placement.

Working Daze is making an implication I'm not really comfortable with.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is a little gamey.

Cul De Sac is thinking long-term.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

ikanreed posted:

Where's my loving money

:lol:

F Minus

BikBok

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Kotzky getting artsy with the panels in this one.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Don't forget to yell "WORLDSTAR!", Rusty.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

In this installment of The Timid Soul (June 6, 1932), Caspar would probably rather I tag this as NWS.

Apparently nudism and naturism were a major fad in the late 1920s / early 1930s.

Look at the detail on those trees.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm just impressed that they have, in Bernice, created a character more instantly hateful than the most artfully constructed villain, and entirely by mistake.
You know, the whole thing about Bernice here is that as bad as this is, it's made so much worse by the fact that she's one of the most consistently horrible people ever to show up in these threads. She is never sympathetic; at every turn she's condescending, dismissive, and sticking her nose into other people's drat business...and yet this is never presented as a bad thing and her friends just shrug and accept it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Club Life in Moominvalley

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Jul 10-11, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 12-15, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

(May 6, 2019)

(May 8, 2019)

(May 10, 2019)

(May 13, 2019)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Pastry of the Year posted:

Missed a day.

Arlo and Janis

Any given A&J strip could be preceded and/or followed by the 'and then they all hosed' bird and it'd be accurate.

2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I perenially appreciate the fact that it's not just that Arlo and Janice gently caress, it's that it's good and they both enjoy it and are still playful and friendly. It's healthy and I love it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

You know, the whole thing about Bernice here is that as bad as this is, it's made so much worse by the fact that she's one of the most consistently horrible people ever to show up in these threads. She is never sympathetic; at every turn she's condescending, dismissive, and sticking her nose into other people's drat business...and yet this is never presented as a bad thing and her friends just shrug and accept it.

Yeah, speaking of how comics sometimes portray bad behavior like it plays out in real life (a toxic friend in this case, rather than child abuse). Future therapist Bernice might be interested to know that she is a missing stair. (I do not for an instant think that the Evanses were going for this on purpose, but she is anyway.)

Thankfully, they're all going to get murdered in a minute and Bernice's reign of terror will end.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Thankfully, they're all going to get murdered in a minute and Bernice's reign of terror will end.

At last.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh boy another two-strip nailbiter from Luann buckle up

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

The butt dial Dustin sounds like another "Skelley just learned a new word and wanted to put it in a comic but couldn't actually think of a joke"

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Look at the detail on those trees.

As long as we're thinking about technique, it's worth mentioning that every mail order art course designed with newspaper cartooning in mind started you off with linework, because not just anything will reproduce well when it's shoved through a turn-of-the-century high speed newspaper press. Webster definitely didn't take one of those (his only formal art education was twenty days with the Frank Holmes School of Illustration before it went out of business), but he locked on to what those courses taught all the same.

For instance, they all encourage you to cultivate an eyeball for getting the line spacing on your shading an equal distance apart for an even tone. But the point was to go for that effect, not necessarily make it look machine-tooled.

Now take another look at those trees. You'll see it for sure.

(Pages from lessons 1 and 2 of the W.L. Evans School of Cartooning course. Pick up your fountain pen and try your luck.)

Sally Forth knows when she's on the losing end.

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (August 7, 1933)

And yeah, I'm still assuming this is Crosby's The Clancy Kids (August 22, 1916)

Peanuts (March 1-2, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

The premise is too smug for words. It does have a few words, but it's too smug for all of them.

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which Olive gives as good as she gets. (September 28-29, 1937)

Out Our Way (March 9-11, 1936; another Ick joke behind the spoiler)

Toonerville Folks (April 9-11, 1917)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 28, 2021

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Evil Mastermind posted:

to be UNDESERVEDLY GENEROUS to the strip, in some light she's a great example of the kind of friend you have in high school/college because they live in the same neighborhood/dorm whatever, and no one in the friend group really likes them but you inexplicably keep including the person in your social activities, and then after graduation you never see them again and you wonder why the hell you ever were friends in the first place

edit:

Julet Esqu posted:

Yeah, speaking of how comics sometimes portray bad behavior like it plays out in real life (a toxic friend in this case, rather than child abuse). Future therapist Bernice might be interested to know that she is a missing stair. (I do not for an instant think that the Evanses were going for this on purpose, but she is anyway.)

i had never heard of this expresison before and i really like it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The octopus lady is coping remarkably well for gaining 8 sub brains and a beak where her cooch used to be.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

goatface posted:

The octopus lady is coping remarkably well for gaining 8 sub brains and a beak where her cooch used to be.

With the DNA magic they have her cooch probably dispenses soft serve ice cream

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

I want you to imagine how different a wolf and rabbit are when it comes to reproduction. Oh, yes the males both have penises, but they are rather different. So since you put that image of a beak-cooch in my head, I will put the image of Kevin and Kell making their hellspawn. Or wolves and sheep. Or the loving bat and the hedgehog and there was even the loving joke about her quills making holes in the condom.

I mean if nothing else mermaids should spawn like sharks or clownfish.

NOW for crossovers, if the crazy DNA wizards were shown like Bernice, it would be clear they are insane villain control freaks. But they are the main characters and can do no wrong.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I want you to imagine how different a wolf and rabbit are when it comes to reproduction. Oh, yes the males both have penises, but they are rather different. So since you put that image of a beak-cooch in my head, I will put the image of Kevin and Kell making their hellspawn. Or wolves and sheep. Or the loving bat and the hedgehog and there was even the loving joke about her quills making holes in the condom.

Please refrain from erotic speculation about our characters.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

goatface posted:

Living the dream.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

goatface posted:

\

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

goatface posted:

There's a vagina dentata joke to be made here.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (March 16, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (April 24, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (December 10, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (April 4, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (September 4, 1935)

Dark Laughter (January 22, 1942)

Mopsy Sunday (October 12, 1947)

Those Were the Days (November 8, 1951)

Dinky Fellas (May 26, 1965)

Wee Pals (May 26, 1965)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Homebodies - 1951-54

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Rabbits' feet in the rearview mirror?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

EBB posted:

Rabbits' feet in the rearview mirror?

Three baby shoes instead of the usual pair.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
okay now what’s being painted on the barn/house that has fester so delighted

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

PainterofCrap posted:

Homebodies - 1951-54

This is one I've never got. I guessing there is some meaning behind the symbol being drawn on the barn? That or Fester is planing to come back later with his blunderbuss and use it as a bullseye.

Edit: A quick search suggests that what's being drawn is called a Hex Sign. Some sources say they were intended to ward off evil. Maybe Fester is looking forward to the challenge?

The_Other fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 28, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Decorations like that are moderately commonly on barns in Pennsylvania and southern tier New York.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

This has been bothering me all week. There's a city called 'Reno' and maybe you should choose a different term as a shorter way to refer to 'renovation' because every loving time I see 'Reno' I read it as the city.

Does anyone even say 'reno' (which I assume is pronounced 'wren-oh' instead of 'ree-no') for talking about renovations? 'Redo' is the only term I can think of I've heard.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

When it's used to refer to renovations, I generally see/hear definite particles. "How's the reno" But I'm mostly from SoCal, and we use "the" in front of a lot of things that drive people with other accents nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
"Reno" has been bugging me for a different reason that ties into my vault digs, because in the '20s and 30s Nevada was one of the few places where you could get a no-fault divorce. Reno became a magnet for a certain type of breakup tourism, especially when the state loosened up the residency requirements.

At the time, Variety called celebrity divorces a "Reno-vation". It's the type of semi-useless knowledge I can't unlearn. :shrug: