Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
This thread is the only thing on the internet that even remembers this game. It was probably in a better state when Brad had the two super christians writing fan fiction about it in his garage while forum warrioring.

Every CohCarnage stream of it, I just wonder why continue at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Givin posted:

This thread is the only thing on the internet that even remembers this game. It was probably in a better state when Brad had the two super christians writing fan fiction about it in his garage while forum warrioring.

I agree. I can’t way to play!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Givin posted:

honestly a heaven vs hell theme would've been cool. not enough games do that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

EQ definitely had the best/most interesting classes in MMO land which is funny considering how old it is - though maybe that's why. I do feel bad for the people that picked close to useless classes in the early days or mostly useless (like myself with paladin). Though I guess back then none of us knew how bad it was unless we were poopsockers before the early expansions fixed some of the issues for say rogues. But stuff like bard and enchanter and shaman were/are so cool.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Vanguard really made all the classes more interesting. And the two additional classes, the Disciple and Blood Mage, were very creative and fun as hell to play.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Vanguard also had separate offensive and defensive target, which I wish more mmos stole, it made classes like disciple and blood mage actually playable. The disciple straight up had spells that keyed of both the offense target and defensive target, where you could life tap the enemy and give it to the tank in one button press.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Node posted:

Vanguard really made all the classes more interesting. And the two additional classes, the Disciple and Blood Mage, were very creative and fun as hell to play.

I never got too far into Vanguard but my brother and his buddy played it a ton and it also seemed to have that "out of the way zone/dungeon nobody goes to" thing EQ had going on according to him. And this was at the game's early days so it wasn't when there was literally no one else playing.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I never got too far into Vanguard but my brother and his buddy played it a ton and it also seemed to have that "out of the way zone/dungeon nobody goes to" thing EQ had going on according to him. And this was at the game's early days so it wasn't when there was literally no one else playing.

It recreated some of the EQ1 magic by virtue of being completely rudderless and unfinished. It felt like they just turned a team loose to make some cool looking poo poo in the world, and maybe someone got around to adding any kind of gameplay element to it or maybe not.

You could run in a random direction and find some ornate palace miles away from civilization that looked really neat. And you never knew whether it was empty, or just had some mobs to grind, or had some ridiculously long quest series that you'd need to find a group for multiple days and probably outlevel the reward before you finished it. And no one had it documented in a database because no one played Vanguard and also odds were that the place had absolutely no purpose in the context of gameplay. That is the kind of jank I live for tbh

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Node posted:

I remember there was an attempt at fans bringing Vanguard back, but I think last I checked it's still in super early alpha and most stuff was broken, which granted Vanguard was still a broken game when it shut down too.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Rift had chloromancer which remains the coolest class I’ve ever played in an MMO. Heal your group by doing as much damage as possible.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

DeathSandwich posted:

Vanguard also had separate offensive and defensive target, which I wish more mmos stole, it made classes like disciple and blood mage actually playable. The disciple straight up had spells that keyed of both the offense target and defensive target, where you could life tap the enemy and give it to the tank in one button press.

I still dont understand why this hasnt become a standard part of every MMO design. It opened up a lot of different options for class design. I dont think interesting classes like discipline and blood mage would have been possible without it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chomposaur posted:

You could run in a random direction and find some ornate palace miles away from civilization that looked really neat. And you never knew whether it was empty, or just had some mobs to grind, or had some ridiculously long quest series that you'd need to find a group for multiple days and probably outlevel the reward before you finished it. And no one had it documented in a database because no one played Vanguard and also odds were that the place had absolutely no purpose in the context of gameplay. That is the kind of jank I live for tbh

I was busy with school/work and lived with him so I was sad I missed out because it's absolutely what I wanted. He showed me one area and it was like when I stumbled upon the Gorge of King Xorbb with one of my high school friends.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was busy with school/work and lived with him so I was sad I missed out because it's absolutely what I wanted. He showed me one area and it was like when I stumbled upon the Gorge of King Xorbb with one of my high school friends.

It's funny, that was like exactly the EQ1 zone I was thinking about. I loved poking around weird corners of the world where most people didn't really have a compelling reason to spend time. Now that I'm talking about it I'm wanting to boot up EQ1 but man I can't handle the UI or combat in 2021 lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chomposaur posted:

It's funny, that was like exactly the EQ1 zone I was thinking about. I loved poking around weird corners of the world where most people didn't really have a compelling reason to spend time. Now that I'm talking about it I'm wanting to boot up EQ1 but man I can't handle the UI or combat in 2021 lol

I watched a video that was the top 5 most obscure zones in EQ and I didn't know 3-4 of them because they were post-Velious and I quit then but I was pumped the gorge was their number 1.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

All this Vanguard talk got me to open a Roth IRA and to also download Vanguard EMU. The game is just how I remember it. The population is the same also. I'm probably going to play for awhile and be all nostalgic.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jabro posted:

All this Vanguard talk got me to open a Roth IRA and to also download Vanguard EMU. The game is just how I remember it. The population is the same also. I'm probably going to play for awhile and be all nostalgic.

How is the state of the game now? Is a lot of skills and quests still not working?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I said come in! posted:

How is the state of the game now? Is a lot of skills and quests still not working?

The adventuring beginning questline seems to be fully implemented. I'm killing things and getting the rewards I remember. Combat is the same as retail. I'm only level 5 but all the skills so far work. One thing I might be misremembering is the hobgoblins in the marshes. I remember them all being red for attack-on-sight but they are yellow so won't attack unless I attack them. But the named enemies are red. Same for the crocodiles. I thought they were red but they aren't.

It looks like the crafting questlines aren't fully implemented yet. When I click on one it has a dev note stating you can do the questline but won't have the final reward but everything up to that point you can get. I do not know if that is for that one particular line or all or some. I'm on the start isle and killing things. I'm not a crafter so it really doesn't bother me but I might try woodworking or something to how it is. When I get back to town I'll copy/paste the text.

Haven't touched diplo but the quests seem to be there.

All-in-all it is Vanguard so far.

Edit: Also something to note is I'm playing it on my ultrawidescreen in 3440x1440 and everything works great with 150 FPS.

Edit2: ** Content Designer's Note ** We are releasing the crafting quests for IOD for testing purposes. HOWEVER, only T1 non-quest recipes are working. There is no way for us to tell the client not to let you learn these recipes. The Client will let you go through the recipes until the very end. If it is not yet scripted, then it will say there is no result for this recipe. DO NOT BUG REPORT THIS. We are aware of the recipes that need scripting. This has to be done manually and is a very time consuming, painful process.

Quest related recipes SHOULD be working. If you find any issues with them, please bug report.

jabro fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 27, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I said come in! posted:

It comes in waves. Combat more or less works and the skills are in as they were mined. Content is sparse and largely relegated to the lower level stuff that had a lot more traffic as they bring in the higher level stuff. I think a big problem is that Vanguard wasn't as succinctly datamined like WoW / EQ / Et Al were so especially as they get into the higher level stuff, there are dungeons and quests that they are probably going to have to make up wholecloth. I kind of wish when they shut it down that they could of got one of the developers to grab the quest and item databases because IIRC most of it is being rebuilt from the ground up, in some places by memory, which is why it's taking so long.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvA4o3tNLEQ

Just mute it, I think

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 5, 2021

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol the guy playing Rogue completely ruins this

big "I'M IN CHARGE LISTEN TO MY CALLOUTS" energy

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I’ll just say I really am shocked there is an actual game people are playing in these videos. I didn’t think it would get this far.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

"pantheon definitely will not launch and hit 20million subscribers in its first year and kill wow" says increasingly nervous man

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Ehud posted:

lol the guy playing Rogue completely ruins this

big "I'M IN CHARGE LISTEN TO MY CALLOUTS" energy

Why are the video makers for this game so especially awful

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
its because the "community" around this game are about on the same level as star citizen or shroud of the avatar

everything about this is terribly mediocre and should have died long ago

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Sachant posted:

Why are the video makers for this game so especially awful

Minus is actually the worst- I flick through his videos occasionally and he's regularly talking about how WoW is the greatest MMO and argues that fundamentals from the game should be brought to other MMOs- Which I find ironic because to be here in the first place (interested in Pantheon MMO) you have to at some level be tired of the current MMO gamestate. Super opinionated and never lets anyone else have a say without just talking louder and louder over them until they stop. He's a huge manchild.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

hobocrunch posted:

Minus is actually the worst- I flick through his videos occasionally and he's regularly talking about how WoW is the greatest MMO and argues that fundamentals from the game should be brought to other MMOs- Which I find ironic because to be here in the first place (interested in Pantheon MMO) you have to at some level be tired of the current MMO gamestate. Super opinionated and never lets anyone else have a say without just talking louder and louder over them until they stop. He's a huge manchild.

I wonder if devs ever look at their stable of content creators and regret what they've brought into the world. The worst part for them is they need to placate and support them on the surface.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

wow, It's like the last 20 years never happened.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was surprised watching what little I did because I thought it'd look more WIP in the UI department. But it's not what I want from a modern EQ even if they by some miracle finished it.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

I was bored one day and somewhat watched the gameplay in that crystal dungeon thing. Either those guys seriously suck at the game or the pacing is deliberately drawn out to a glacial pace. Not even that. A pangeal pace.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

the pacing is intentional, every enemy is a raid boss.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

I said come in! posted:

the pacing is intentional, every enemy is a raid boss.

i can't wait for some toxic first-to-engage poopsocking literal figurative batphone on 'a brown myotis bat' in the newbie yard.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

Have to quote this because Vanguard's classes were the best.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

Have to quote this because Vanguard's classes were the best.

This is now a Vanguard nostalgia thread.

What made Vanguard's classes so much better/different than EQ? I've heard offensive/defensive target as one thing. What else?

Asking seriously because all I remember of the game is trying to get it to run on my jank rear end video card at the time and generally watching a slideshow as I tried to explore and grind. Also I remember parlay.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Vanguard also had a unique mechanic where some of your attacks would cause status effects that could only be exploited by the abilities of some other classes, encouraging teamwork.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Some of the spell effects are cool but all of the casters having the same "raise two hands and shrug" animation is kind of a shame. Guess that could change eventually. Anyway wow isn't even casual enough for me anymore so I don't think I'll be playing this.

whenimmashoo
Jun 12, 2013

Wrong thread

whenimmashoo fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 15, 2021

Themoor
May 15, 2020
They should release the character creator or something like that since alpha is a bit away still.

Themoor fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 15, 2021

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

sharknado slashfic posted:

Some of the spell effects are cool but all of the casters having the same "raise two hands and shrug" animation is kind of a shame. Guess that could change eventually. Anyway wow isn't even casual enough for me anymore so I don't think I'll be playing this.

I believe the only finished character models are Dark Myr, Skar, Gnome and Archai. I think Humans, Dwarves, Elves and Ogres are due for a remodel. Not 100% sure about Halfling. But like they keep doing this poo poo anyhow, I mean go back like 2 years and "Ogres" got remodeled and now they look old also. I would assume they would do the animations after that though.

The real truth is just that they're working far to slow to keep up with the quality they want to put into the game.

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 15, 2021

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I don’t think speed of implementation has any bearing on the quality of the pantheon product. Purely imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Vanguard suffered greatly in my opinion when they instituted the newbie island. I understand that they had to because of the low population but having separate and distinct racial starting areas was so good. I remember starting a half giant shaman and getting really immersed in the lore via the quests and diplomacy.