Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

If you wanted to show off your new skeleton why did you put a bunch of records on it?

It was a selfie but I'm too shy to show my face

:yohoho:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Enos Cabell posted:

It was a selfie but I'm too shy to show my face

:yohoho:

I was looking for other skulls and didn't see one but I found a thing for caligulamprey. :shivdurf:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

I found a thing for caligulamprey. :shivdurf:
Me when I point out two more loving Residents vinyl releases just got announced yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD3PfgZFe80

Looks like mostly Bunny Boy stuff including a live show. :hellyeah:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I don't even know what to say about this other than I hope it's a joke.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/this-is-for-someone-who-is-weird

Y2KayBug
Feb 26, 2021

JAMOOOL posted:

vapor vinyl is cool but it's the sort of thing you have to pounce on immediately or it skyrockets to 4x the price which is super loving obnoxious

There as been some represses lately, but you can find some cheap ones on Facebook marketplace or ebay

Click here to visit Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe A Nostalgic Y2K Community Forum

Y2KayBug
Feb 26, 2021

sporklift posted:

I'll admit I don't quite "get" vaporwave. Is it just slowed down/glitched mall muzak? I dig some of what I have heard but, yeah, the price of entry is pretty steep. Wonder if the quick print runs are because the samples aren't cleared.

It heavily relies on nostalgia and the community is branching out of not just focusing on 90s nostalgia

Click here to visit Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe A Nostalgic Y2K Community Forum

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Buncha vapor waifs ITT

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
imma vapor chonk 🥴

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I do not understand the appeal of "vapor" but let me tell you about 500 different punk and metal subgenres

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

free code

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
finally bought some Tergikleen, holy poo poo this stuff works wonders. in fact its the only cleaning product I've bought that makes a notable difference. so many junked records are suddenly playable again. gets rid of 80-90% of the surface noise and makes the music seem so much more vibrant. to think of the money I could've saved had I found this earlier. no I am not an affiliate of this company.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

JAMOOOL posted:

finally bought some Tergikleen, holy poo poo this stuff works wonders. in fact its the only cleaning product I've bought that makes a notable difference. so many junked records are suddenly playable again. gets rid of 80-90% of the surface noise and makes the music seem so much more vibrant. to think of the money I could've saved had I found this earlier. no I am not an affiliate of this company.

Hrm maybe that would solve all the crackle on my copies of 1984 and Hi Infidelity. In other news I got a record today in the threads favorite genre:

It's good and excellent peak Konami etc, blah blah blah. Now it's time to go back to wishing and hoping and praying for the Cosmic Wars soundtrack.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

another free code i just found while playing stuff:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
https://twitter.com/cloudshillmusic/status/1364125648642580481?s=21

Can’t wait to get those Mars Volta albums at a (hopefully) good price.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

does that include TMV? Or just his solo stuff?

EDIT:

oh nevermind, just check the full tweet

https://twitter.com/cloudshillmusic/status/1364126251145912322?s=20

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Hot Diggity! posted:

I do not understand the appeal of "vapor" but let me tell you about 500 different punk and metal subgenres

:hellyeah:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just paid way too much for this

https://www.discogs.com/Lamb-Lamb/release/5473403

... but it’s literally one of two albums that I’ve wanted since I bought my LP120 so I’ll treat myself. At first I really wanted to hold out for the original pressing and not a re-release, but ultimately I decided I didn’t care, couldn’t find a seller of a VG copy that would ship to Canada, and figured a mint re-press would sound way better than anything original I can find, and this is one that I see doing heavy rotations on my turntable :swoon:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 28, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hot Diggity! posted:

Stanning for vaporware. You go, my man.

dorium posted:

free code
Only vinyl albums I've bought that had download codes in teh past few years have been gunship and a couple Grimes records. And the codes didn't work with the Grimes.

been reading all the posts about rising prices in vinyl and had a couple minor revelations. But first, there's a similar thing going on on ebay, not just with records either. But anyway, the people all suddenly selling at 2 or 3 times the prices everyone is accustomed to are, to use the gamer word, campers. They sit and wait for somebody to just happen on their item without searching for deals on it. Oh, and the second revelation is I bet I have a few things I could sell for money RN that don't have any real interest for me. Starting with this:

Apparently not extremely valuable but it's a relatively obscure release of a bunch of his faves? Haven't really listened to Springsteen since the 80s. Another little revelation: I remember before Springsteen.

JAMOOOL posted:

sounds great. Thx

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Oh, and here, you have to read some Kierkegaard before you are allowed to listen to this one:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

petit choux posted:

My friend, I am in no way stanning for a genre that I do not understand the appeal of

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hot Diggity! posted:

My friend, I am in no way stanning for a genre that I do not understand the appeal of

I'm down with the Simpsonwave myself

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

petit choux posted:

I'm down with the Simpsonwave myself

Does this count

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVYHAAy9CwY

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

petit choux posted:

Only vinyl albums I've bought that had download codes in teh past few years have been gunship and a couple Grimes records. And the codes didn't work with the Grimes.

If it was art angels you'd be better off ripping from your record or buying the cd, the coupon mp3s were awful, really compressed and the volume would be way off between tracks, I forget if there was a track missing on the album or for dload due to a rights issue. If you really want them you can try and email a photo of the coupon to the label, I've done this with a few records (bought new) and I've been given a link and password for a download, Mr.Bongo Records have done this for me a couple of times.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
The other day I remembered that I really like Soul Coughing and went to look up their records. Now I'm obsessed with the fact that I will likely never find a vinyl copy of any of them without spending hundreds. I swore going into this I wouldn't be a collector...

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

z0331 posted:

The other day I remembered that I really like Soul Coughing and went to look up their records. Now I'm obsessed with the fact that I will likely never find a vinyl copy of any of them without spending hundreds. I swore going into this I wouldn't be a collector...

the 2015 reissues on Slash records are pretty reasonable IF you live in the Netherlands. unfortunately Ruby Vroom is still like $100+ which sucks cuz that's the one everyone wants.

I remember them announcing the reissue campaign in 2014, I was pretty close to buying them but didn't have my stuff setup where I lived so I figured why bother. vinyl collecting is just one giant world of regret really.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Mystery Steve posted:

If it was art angels you'd be better off ripping from your record or buying the cd, the coupon mp3s were awful, really compressed and the volume would be way off between tracks, I forget if there was a track missing on the album or for dload due to a rights issue. If you really want them you can try and email a photo of the coupon to the label, I've done this with a few records (bought new) and I've been given a link and password for a download, Mr.Bongo Records have done this for me a couple of times.

I bought an album released in 2019 which came with a download code for a bunch of untagged 128kbps quality mp3s. Who knew that was still an option?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

z0331 posted:

That sucks. I remember getting a couple of their albums for my wife for super cheap on one of those label run sites (insound?) a couple years back. Nowadays when I see poo poo I want on clearance I try to snag it, because all too often a year later it skyrockets in price.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Creature posted:

I bought an album released in 2019 which came with a download code for a bunch of untagged 128kbps quality mp3s. Who knew that was still an option?

I'll have to double check the files on my computer, since I didn't notice until I loaded them onto my mp3 player, but I recently redeemed one from 2017 reissue and it was in .wav.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
WAV makes sense. It's CD quality, gives you the flexibility to do what you want, and really only the lack of metadata makes it useless.

On the other hand, I got Claud's new album, and it comes with 160 kbps MP3s.

Like seriously?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
It's just odd since I dont really see wav or zip files with both mac and pc formats these days. And yeah the lack of metadata is annoying since it got shoved in "unknown album" with similarly hosed up files. My management of such data is piss terrible.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

z0331 posted:

The only way to really stay sane with this hobby is to realize that there's certain things that you can't have (well, unless you want to spend lots) and accept it. Try and keep your ear to the ground about reissues but otherwise you'll save yourself a lot of headaches and handwringing by not having to have everything. Definitely not a good hobby for completionists without deep pockets.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Barry posted:

The only way to really stay sane with this hobby is to realize that there's certain things that you can't have (well, unless you want to spend lots) and accept it. Try and keep your ear to the ground about reissues but otherwise you'll save yourself a lot of headaches and handwringing by not having to have everything. Definitely not a good hobby for completionists without deep pockets.

I think I've generally been good about not getting things just to get them. I've mostly aimed for stuff that a) I like, and b) I want to play on vinyl/think would sound good on vinyl. This just happens to land in the middle of that Venn diagram. :negative:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
That's definitely the right attitude, but there are absolutely a lot of things that end up in the middle of that venn diagram that will taunt you.

My current (and forever, most likely) white whale is Pearl Jam's Benaroya Hall. They don't seem to have any plans to ever reissue it and it's supposed to sound fantastic. It also typically sells for north of $2k which is, well, not exactly in my budget.

I can listen to it on CD and streaming whenever I want (which is often) so it's not the end of the world but I would love to have that one on vinyl.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I didn't get into vinyl until well after the Katamari Damacy release by Mondo and now it's $120-180 minimum so that's in the oh well category. In the I got it on CD but can't justify the vinyl price is High Country/Low Country by The Sword. They've risen to be the top two albums I like of theirs so naturally the vinyl releases are the ones in short supply compared to the rest of their discography. I think I've learned to get over color variants though.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

the Katamari soundtrack will probably be repressed some day. there's a huge market for that kind of thing

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Mystery Steve posted:

Heh I did

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Was there a fairly recent pressing of the Katamari soundtrack because I feel like I saw that at Newbury Comics about a month ago.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

1 OP, 3 Represses all from Mondo.

Dunno how limited each repress was but that doesn’t feel that rare 🤷🏽‍♂️ They’ll definitely do another.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

for those of you who hang your LPs on the wall, but still want to have them filed so you can play them, here is your solution:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

for those of you who hang your LPs on the wall, but still want to have them filed so you can play them, here is your solution:

I love this. It's kind of adorable.