Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Cardiovorax posted:

Isn't there a Skip Tutorial setting in the options somewhere?
I think that ends up skipping all gameplay tutorials, and there are plenty of those outside the demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I skipped ahead a thousand posts to ask a single question. I found Subnautica to be too terrifying to play, like I literally can't leave visual range of the pod without panicking. I have similar feeling when I tried to play Outer Wilds, just something about the idea of going into the vast void of nothingness to get brutally killed was just insanely unsettling.

My question is, am I physically capable of playing Breathedge?

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

From the store page:

Breathedge posted:

Space isn’t a joke (despite us trying to prove otherwise) and not dying is a challenge. Lose your progress in spectacular ways, including but not limited to suffocation, freezing, incineration, electrocution, depression, blunt trauma, and more

I'm guessing not?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I sort-of like the look of Breathedge. Specifically exploring a space wreck.

However, I'm normally not a fan of Survival games where you need to do the same tedious grindy nonsense over and over again, and the negative reviews I read all seem to indicate that it's pretty grindy and the humor doesn't work. I'm pretty sure I won't like the gameplay, but has anyone played it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there anyway to turn off the nonsense bandwidth saving thing Steam started last year? All my auto updates happen at off peak times like 3am anyway. It’s just annoying since I don’t get to play video games basically at all during my work week, so even games I play fairly often fall into that last played range where the updates get put off forever, so instead of being able to just boot them up when I get home for the weekend I’m waiting on updates.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You can't turn it off but you have the option to run an update at any time. Just open up the downloads page and press the button to the right.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

You can't turn it off but you have the option to run an update at any time. Just open up the downloads page and press the button to the right.

Yeah, I know about that but I’m also nowhere near my desktop during the week (I have to stay in a hotel for work). Is there a reliable way to update via the mobile app?

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
As mentioned earlier, I'm definitely interested in CrossCode myself with the whole cool demo and 50% currently. Was curious about what the core game is like, however. From what I understand, I'm definitely getting a Zelda/Secret of Mana vibe, but it sounds like it might be a much more heavy focus on really long and complex puzzles and dungeons than you'd ever see in those? Is the combat very cool and challenging as well, or is it just kind of token or sparse in comparison to the puzzles? Was also curious about the story and whether it goes to some deep and unique places or if it's just another very anime story about a virtual world with quirky characters we've seen so many times before. Is there a comparison to another game that would be apt? I'm kinda of getting an Alundra vibe from general impressions in terms of puzzle dungeons and Zelda feel: does that sound right? At 10 bux, I'll admit that I feel silly not just picking it up immediately, but I'm trying to be cautious with my backlog pile, haha.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Trickyblackjack posted:

I'm guessing not?

Oh yikes. Yeah. Yeah...

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

However, I'm normally not a fan of Survival games where you need to do the same tedious grindy nonsense over and over again, and the negative reviews I read all seem to indicate that it's pretty grindy and the humor doesn't work. I'm pretty sure I won't like the gameplay, but has anyone played it?

I played it a few months ago back when it was still in early access and it was pretty heavy on the tedium, from the reviews it sounds like after the first few hours there is some improvement but I never got that sense of progression you get from like Subnautica or other survival games. I played it for a few hours or so got sick of the humor, the fairly short oxygen length, and tools having tiny durability so I dropped it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've heard the jokes get really comfortable and skeevy midway through, but nobody went into any specific, so take that as the hearsay it is.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I can't recommend this game then. I'm only three hours in, so still relatively early, and there is a lot of running back and forth to mine stuff and craft stuff and gather more stuff. And you need tools to do any of these tasks and those tools have an abysmally low durability and then they break, so you have to go back and craft another or keep multiples on you as backups. Keep in mind that the whole time you're limited on oxygen, so at least for a while until you get some upgrades you're also running back to breathe.

If you're still not entirely put off by the sound of this, I will say that I'm generally having a pretty good time with it so far. Humor is mostly miss but I have laughed at a few gags. I was attracted to the Subnautica comparison because I liked that game, and this feels similar but I get the impression that it's fairly more linear than Subnautica and there's really no incentive to build a nice base or hang out to craft without the intention of progressing the story. PiCroft made a good post about it in the Survival games thread along with some more discussion about it around there if you want to read more.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

FutureCop posted:

As mentioned earlier, I'm definitely interested in CrossCode myself with the whole cool demo and 50% currently. Was curious about what the core game is like, however. From what I understand, I'm definitely getting a Zelda/Secret of Mana vibe, but it sounds like it might be a much more heavy focus on really long and complex puzzles and dungeons than you'd ever see in those? Is the combat very cool and challenging as well, or is it just kind of token or sparse in comparison to the puzzles? Was also curious about the story and whether it goes to some deep and unique places or if it's just another very anime story about a virtual world with quirky characters we've seen so many times before. Is there a comparison to another game that would be apt? I'm kinda of getting an Alundra vibe from general impressions in terms of puzzle dungeons and Zelda feel: does that sound right? At 10 bux, I'll admit that I feel silly not just picking it up immediately, but I'm trying to be cautious with my backlog pile, haha.

CrossCode is a very well-written game. The story isn't anything groundbreaking, but it's told very well, and the characters are fleshed out. It's much more puzzle-oriented than you'd expect from a Zelda-like, though. The tutorial dungeon will give you some idea of what the puzzles are like, and you'll have no problem hitting that within the refund window.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm gonna be that guy and say that the Crosscode story and gameplay bored me so much that by the time I hit the point where it apparently was supposed to "get interesting", I was so burned out I just kinda stopped playing and never picked it back up.
Some of the dungeons also way overstayed their welcome.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Broken Cog posted:

I'm gonna be that guy and say that the Crosscode story and gameplay bored me so much that by the time I hit the point where it apparently was supposed to "get interesting", I was so burned out I just kinda stopped playing and never picked it back up.
Some of the dungeons also way overstayed their welcome.

I bounced off it too. It had this vibe of being incredibly impressed with itself that I found off putting on top of the gameplay just not working for me.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I found the central premise of CrossCode a decent enough hook, but then after 5 hours of MMO-inspired padding to make the MMO theme park setting more authentic I was loving done.

Breathedge I watched someone else play for a couple hours and I was getting second-hand irritation at the jokes, pacing, and flimsiness of all the tools. It's like Subnautica, if Subnautica had a Claptrap AI in your head that never loving shuts up, your tools all run out of batteries or break after about 1 solid minute of use, and you can't surface for air and have to keep coming back to the pod... but you can build little air refill buoys... which all have a limited charge and are good for ~5 full refills before depleting. It's infuriating.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is there anyway to turn off the nonsense bandwidth saving thing Steam started last year? All my auto updates happen at off peak times like 3am anyway. It’s just annoying since I don’t get to play video games basically at all during my work week, so even games I play fairly often fall into that last played range where the updates get put off forever, so instead of being able to just boot them up when I get home for the weekend I’m waiting on updates.
If you go into the game properties under Updates you can change them to High Priority which (in my experience) bypasses Steam scheduling updates.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

FutureCop posted:

The combat is good, it's pretty much everything you'd hope a modernized Secret of Mana would be. However, the dungeons are very puzzle-heavy and also 2-3 times longer than they should have been IMO. Zelda or Lufia would be the nearest comparisons I think. Unless you're really into those kinds of puzzles, I'd recommend playing with assist mode on the entire game (there's no penalty for using it).

The main story is also pretty good but very back-loaded. Obviously there's something big going on behind the scenes and the PC is special in some way, but the first third/half of the game is pretty much just "playin' an MMO with your buds".

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I found the central premise of CrossCode a decent enough hook, but then after 5 hours of MMO-inspired padding to make the MMO theme park setting more authentic I was loving done.

Ceyton posted:

The combat is good, it's pretty much everything you'd hope a modernized Secret of Mana would be. However, the dungeons are very puzzle-heavy and also 2-3 times longer than they should have been IMO. Zelda or Lufia would be the nearest comparisons I think. Unless you're really into those kinds of puzzles, I'd recommend playing with assist mode on the entire game (there's no penalty for using it).

The main story is also pretty good but very back-loaded. Obviously there's something big going on behind the scenes and the PC is special in some way, but the first third/half of the game is pretty much just "playin' an MMO with your buds".

Argh, that's kind of what I was worried about : even more so than the dungeons and puzzles being a bit too overbearing, I was worried that the story would lean way too heavily on the MMO setting, wasting time with dumb quirky MMO jokes instead of focusing on a potentially unique conspiracy story and such. Basically, it sounds like it is suffering from terminal lampshading, aka ye olde "haha aren't MMOs so silly with all the boring kill/fetch quests? anyway, here's a bunch of boring kill/fetch quests". Hrmm, I guess I'll think about it: usually I try to avoid games I have to power through to get to the good stuff, but then again, I might have more patience than I think, what with playing games like Death Stranding and such.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Pathologic 2: It's an extremely niche game, and if that is your niche, probably 11/10 one of the best games you'll ever play. The niche is people who when playing games for the first time select max difficulty, hardcore modes, permadeath modes, survival games with 0 margin for error. If its not for you, if you find the whole struggle to be pointless tedium because you just want to experience the story, it's probably a 6-7 at most.

I like the narrative experience enough to beat the game using its easy mode, took ~22 hours. It was more of a sunken cost/spite thing as I had seen the game praised so much by so many people that after hitting an impossible wall in day 4 I resolved to at least finish the game. I'm guessing I missed pretty much all the side quests and tons of content from not sprinting around talking to everyone I could. The game feels like you are punished for wasting a single minute of time so a huge amount of the game's brilliant content is never going to be seen since the overall experience strongly deters any kind of casual exploration or searching.

To use the idea from the game, they basically made several parts of perfection and then completely failed to connect the Lines together to make a tolerable game. It's very much a "pain for the sake of pain" game where the reward is because the RNG swings your way often enough. It's easier to game the system once you know where everything is, knowing where the children's caches alone give you a massive boost in resources from the very beginning, but that is basically min-maxing to hedge off a run of bad luck.

With easy mode on, it felt most like playing Outer Wilds to me. That game for me was 10/10 goty easy because for that game the insanely hard difficulty was skilled based, and you could learn and overcome. Pathologic 2 is much more luck based then anything if you really are trying to play it blind. When you fail in Pathologic 2, it doesn't feel like its because you as the player weren't good, it feels more getting bad dice rolls.

Best things about Pathologic 2
- a narrative experience unmatched by any game of its type.
- The writing does a great job of creating the sense of weirdness and confusion of the Town without needing to explain anything.
-The system as designed is truly brilliant to convey both with gameplay requirements and the visual decay of the town the effects of the plague.

Worst things
-The combat, my god the combat. Thankfully there are very few forced combat segments.
- Several in game mechanics that aren't clear, like the infection/survival roulette for each night. With a game that puts you on a razor's edge of survival there's really no excuse for that kind of ambiguity as to the player having an effect. I still don't know if the roulette can be controlled by the player because sometimes it does work and sometimes it doesn't.
- The RNG controls all. Needing to find infected organs and going through 3 scalpels only getting 2 organs is just grind bullshit for the sake of player frustration. Even the max level max durability scalpel could fail 4x in a row and wipe out its durability.
- The permanent death consequences. Not as bad as the rest, but extremely likely to discourage people from continuing a game they find already impossibly difficult.
- The overall map usage. I probably hit the map button every 5 seconds to make sure I wasn't wasting time going the wrong way. A mini-map would've been a massive boon to make that process less tedious. The inability to mark anything as well, like caches, where children are located etc. was extremely annoying.
- Finding herbs in daytime. Maybe its my graphics settings but they look completely identical to all the generic plants around them, and often are completely obscured by larger plants. You even have a "detective mode" for finding NPCs to talk to that does nothing to highlight the herbs

Overall, majorly flawed gameplay mechanics wise, brilliant narrative experience. Also, everything I read about the devs the less I like them and their little in game 4th wall comments were pretty arrogant as well.

Like, okay, you want everyone to go back to playing games the way they did when Ultima 1 came out, cool. That still makes for a extremely inaccessible game for 99% of your potential game audience. At some point suffering for the sake of suffering stops being a storytelling "tool" and just becomes bad design.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

FutureCop posted:

IMO CrossCode is one of those games where you've seen everything in it before, but its greatness comes from the fact that it takes those things and polishes them to a mirror shine. The combat is fun and challenging and there are a variety of different builds, the puzzle design is fantastic and avoids a lot of the "let's tutorialize you for three full rooms any time there's a new concept" poo poo that modern Zelda-likes pull, and the story is nothing to write home about but has some fun characters and interesting twists. I take issue with people who say that CrossCode's story is dumb because "lol anime" or "lol quirky characters"--it's got a lot of solid emotional beats and Lea's expressiveness really adds to the charm. And I say that as someone who despises most anime cliches in games.

If there is a criticism I can give, though, it's that CrossCode is a game you can never really shut your brain off for. That may or may not be an issue for you, but if you're expecting a game like Link to the Past or Secret of Mana that you could basically finish in your sleep, CrossCode ain't that. Combat will kill you if you're not paying attention (though the penalty for death is basically nil, you respawn at the room entrance), puzzles take actual brainpower and reflexes to complete, and exploring the overworld to reach chests requires you to pay attention to the terrain in a way that most games don't. CrossCode is a drat good game, but it's not something you can put on a podcast for.

EDIT:

FutureCop posted:

Argh, that's kind of what I was worried about : even more so than the dungeons and puzzles being a bit too overbearing, I was worried that the story would lean way too heavily on the MMO setting, wasting time with dumb quirky MMO jokes instead of focusing on a potentially unique conspiracy story and such. Basically, it sounds like it is suffering from terminal lampshading, aka ye olde "haha aren't MMOs so silly with all the boring kill/fetch quests? anyway, here's a bunch of boring kill/fetch quests". Hrmm, I guess I'll think about it: usually I try to avoid games I have to power through to get to the good stuff, but then again, I might have more patience than I think, what with playing games like Death Stranding and such.
CrossCode doesn't really pull that sort of lampshading. It makes references, sure, but it never draws attention to them and they're usually pretty clever IMO. And Lea's story basically has nothing to do with the MMO aspect of the setting.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 28, 2021

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Something I put down a long time ago but decided to give another try was Outlast 2. Man, it's a tiring game. I loved wandering around the really creepy places and finding little bits and pieces of info, but getting chased all the time and getting lost for a while or having to redo the same section 4 or 5 times because I've no idea where to go or what to do got to me a bit. I almost uninstalled it 2 or 3 times but pushed through.

Very weird, but if survival horror is your thing it's definitely one of those. You can't fight anything at all, which is vaguely frustrating given the pitchforks and stuff you see around the place, but that's the point. Not everyone's cup of tea due to the subject matter, perhaps ( Religious cults, lots of murder that includes children, sex offences).

Jumps scares, darkness, lots of being chased down claustrophobic corridors and tunnels - it checks a lot of boxes on the fear bingo card.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghostlight posted:

If you go into the game properties under Updates you can change them to High Priority which (in my experience) bypasses Steam scheduling updates.

Thanks for the heads up! I had no idea that was even a thing.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

If there is a criticism I can give, though, it's that CrossCode is a game you can never really shut your brain off for. That may or may not be an issue for you, but if you're expecting a game like Link to the Past or Secret of Mana that you could basically finish in your sleep, CrossCode ain't that. Combat will kill you if you're not paying attention (though the penalty for death is basically nil, you respawn at the room entrance), puzzles take actual brainpower and reflexes to complete, and exploring the overworld to reach chests requires you to pay attention to the terrain in a way that most games don't. CrossCode is a drat good game, but it's not something you can put on a podcast for.

CrossCode doesn't really pull that sort of lampshading. It makes references, sure, but it never draws attention to them and they're usually pretty clever IMO. And Lea's story basically has nothing to do with the MMO aspect of the setting.

Ok, well that's good to hear, I definitely do like a game to be very challenging, so hearing that it goes against traditional Zelda dungeons and bosses that never go beyond very simple puzzles/patterns utilizing whatever item you just got in the dungeon is a huge plus in my book. From what I understand, it sounds like the dungeons are just way more involved than usual in both a good way (they have way more complex and interesting puzzles) and a bad way (they end up overstaying their welcome if you try to beat them in one sitting, which is something a person might expect from other games). I mean, I loved playing Doom Eternal on Nightmare for how it practically fried my brain on how much brainpower it demanded to stay alive. For 10 bux, I think it's worth the risk to see if I like it so I'll pick this up.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

FutureCop posted:

Ok, well that's good to hear, I definitely do like a game to be very challenging, so hearing that it goes against traditional Zelda dungeons and bosses that never go beyond very simple patterns of whatever item you just got in the dungeon is a huge plus in my book. From what I understand, it sounds like the dungeons are just way more involved than usual in both a good way (they have way more complex and interesting puzzles) and a bad way (they end up overstaying their welcome if you try to beat them in one sitting, which is something you might expect from other games). I mean, I loved playing Doom Eternal on Nightmare for how it practically fried my brain on how much brainpower it demanded to stay alive. For 10 bux, I think it's worth the risk to see if I like it so I'll pick this up.

A previous update to Crosscode had additional settings where you could do up to 50% overall damage (so you don't have to be so dependant on gear and survival) and have puzzle projectiles up to 50% slower, because there are puzzles that involve moving items at the right time so it could reflect and hit the correct marker and stuff.

There's a youtuber named Zalguam that has an entire playthrough with timestamps of the puzzles incase you really can't figure it out. I had to go there a couple of times, some felt like a point n click stumper. But yeah CrossCode is really great and written very well

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 28, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

It has a character called "Mr. Libtard" if you're curious about the humor it has.

It's real loving bad.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I won't say CrossCode was disingenuous about the whole MMO thing, going wink wink nudge nudge the whole time, it's more that: yes, you need to grind levels in the combat to have fodder enemies not destroy you. Yes, you have to grind or get stupid lucky for preposterously rare item drops to make better equipment. Most of the characters in-universe taking part in this are doing it to unwind, but there are also people who live in the area and have to deal with half the natural landscape being repurposed into a theme park for thousands of people. It commits to the idea hard, and I kind of admire that, but there's just a certain element of drudgery in the MMO framework that is still present in CC which I absolutely cannot deal with in a singleplayer setting.

I had a similar problem with Valheim; exploration, building, and combat is cool. Resource gathering is fine in moderation. But then you tell me to spend 10+ hours farming bog iron in a series of cramped identical underground corridors to make like, three piece of iron equipment and I tell you to go gently caress yourself.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You don't need any of the equipment that's locked behind rare drops. Yes, it makes things easier and if you can get some of that stuff you should, but you'll be fine without it.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I was mostly looking at grinding for better equipment because I was so sick of grinding the combat, but turns out I hate both :v:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Crosscode and Pathologic 2 are two games I love, so let me add my two cents to this page's discussions.

Crosscode is a game that was clearly made with a lot of passion. I think someone in the thread summed it as a game that the devs really want you to love, so there is a lot of everything, be it combat, exploration and puzzles and they have added a lot of accessibility functions to give the players who have difficulty with those elements a way to advance in the game. You don't even need to engage with the pseudo-MMO quests, they are there if you want to spend more time with the game and to master its systems, but they are just optional content. I will say that yes, some of those puzzle-dungeons are very long, which can hurt the pacing. TheOneAndOnlyT is right in saying that it is a game that does require you to be aware and learn how to play it, it is very much not a casual title even with all the accessibility functions involved.

Pathologic 2 is a game that was clearly made with a lot of passion. I wouldn't say it is unfair, but it is a game that plays by its own rules and requires a lot of learning from the player. It is practically impossible for an unguided player on the default difficulty to save everyone and that is the intended experience and it is fine, it means your own experience with the Town is more unique, as you prioritized certain people and activities that other people didn't, arriving at your own conclusion of the Play. I will say the main dev had a very specific vision of a ludonarrative consonance and that the game was terribly marketed, a lot of people expected more a mystery-thriller or walking simulator and while you do walk a lot, it is primarily a survival game with a strong narrative and influence from theater, so I don't blame people for bouncing off it. I do think the game should have come out with the difficulty options that were later patched in and that the default difficulty should have been lower. Combat sucks, stealth is eh and my personal pet peeve is how quickly items degrade from use in the default settings. Nonetheless, there is nothing like Pathologic 2 and there is nothing like Icepick Lodge's Oeuvre, it is not even their most punishing game (I'd call The Void that, as it is the only game that put me in a deadman walking state like 14 hours in and was still fascinating enough to get me to restart and finish it). I do hope the routes for the Bachelor and Changeling are more accessible, as IPL deserves commercial success.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/octocityblues/status/1365767572063412226

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I was mostly looking at grinding for better equipment because I was so sick of grinding the combat, but turns out I hate both :v:

For what it's worth, when I played through the game (well, most of it) I never stopped to grind except after like the second dungeon, and that was quest cleanup rather than grinding for the sake of it

I also feel it doesn't lean hard on MMO tropes; though it does lean, the MMO thing is mostly scaffolding for the real story of Lea (which is OK, with good characterization) with minor npc jokes all around the place

The dungeons... well. There's an LP on the forums that's at least past the first dungeon so you can peek in and see what some of it looks like. But yeah, there is a goddamn lot of dungeon - and it's exhausting, there's no other word for it I can think of

quote:

CrossCode is one of my all time favourite games. This is absolutely going to be one of those LPs where I'm constantly trying to get you to buy the game. I enthusiastically recommend it to anyone (not least because it's on everything), BUT I caveat that recommendation thusly; your mileage is going to hinge 200% on your tolerance for top-down platforming. CrossCode has lovely modern sensibilities, and can tone down both its combat and puzzle timers all the way to zero if you want, but if the jumping is too much for you, then, well.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 28, 2021

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I've played like 8 hours now, and I really like Breathedge. It does start off a bit slow and the constant back and forth for oxygen is annoying, but once you get some upgrades everything gets much easier and faster. Some hints:

- Down and behind the asteroid next to your ship is a mail shuttle. Destroy the mail cargo to get the suitcase blueprint, which you can use as extra storage in your base
- You can get rubber from black plastic mats that are stuck on walls. They aren't very well signposted, so they are easy to miss. Same with fabric from the airlock walls, though that's much easier to notice
- Drop down air balloons along your path. The item that refills the balloons seem to be the best bang for the buck when it comes resources per oxygen unit
- To get a little bit extra O2 from the balloons, first exhaust the balloon completely. Then, when recharging the balloon, you can fill up your suit O2, and it will still filll up to 500
- There are heat lamps in the ice field that will defrost you. You need to go into the ice field pretty early, because that's the only place I've found glass so far. But on the other hand, ice doesn't seem to actually kill you, it just obscures your vision, and disappears instantly once you're outside the ice field
- Radiation does not build up, you can go a lot further into the radiation warning area than you think
- A bit later, when you're building your own base, the research station is on the same prefab as the crafting station. I missed it and didn't understand that I could research for a while

It is also much less frightening for me because it's set in space and that means I can see everything around me, in contrast with the deeper areas of Subnautica

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Okay, Breathedge definitely is not the sort of thing I enjoy, thanks for confirming that.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Tell me, goons, is Arma 3 good for singleplayer stuff?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There are a few unique things you can do with it, but in general I'd say miserably bad. Arma is a platform for large-scale multiplayer gaming.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah arma 3 is not a single player thing IMO

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Det_no posted:

Tell me, goons, is Arma 3 good for singleplayer stuff?

As long as you’re saving every few minutes it’s okay until the inevitable point where the game wants you to command the AI and then it becomes even more tedious. Somehow not a single aspect of that system has been improved at all since Operation Flashpoint.

Some of the short standalone missions are fun (again, as long as you’re saving every few minutes).

The Contact campaign is about as good as an Arma campaign could be. Not only are you not ever commanding the AI soldiers the main gimmick of the campaign is a tool that let you manipulate the enemy AI in interesting ways.

If you’re expecting a rollicking good action game though you aren’t going to get one. It is deliberately slow, ponderous, and punishing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Pathologic 2 is a game that was clearly made with a lot of passion.

It's very clear they had a vision for the game and did not compromise it for the sake of sales. The stuff they reluctantly added in like quest markers was because their playtesters, people who played Pathologic 1 extensively, told them it was way too hard as planned. Just adding in the difficulty modifiers later on caused their review score to go from an average of 80% to 92% and a huge jump in the number of people who even played the first few days (based on achievements).

Like I said, there's just a few things so fundamental to the game experience like combat, durability, and certain RNGs, that having been even a little bit better would've probably launched the game into the stratosphere. It's such a brilliant yet tragically flawed game it's not something I would recommend to people without a major caveat of "it's deliberately not fun, but it a core part of the narrative"

Also, it seems basically impossible to beat the game with everyone surviving because the failure/success rates are baked into the save file so you can't save scum if someone dies. That's just pure RNG you can only do so much to prevent. You have to basically break the game over your knee to manage it, by which you'll need to have mastered the entire bartering, trade, combat, looting, herb gathering mechanics etc. to even have a chance.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I skipped ahead a thousand posts to ask a single question. I found Subnautica to be too terrifying to play, like I literally can't leave visual range of the pod without panicking. I have similar feeling when I tried to play Outer Wilds, just something about the idea of going into the vast void of nothingness to get brutally killed was just insanely unsettling.

Breathedge isn't scary at all. There is one sequence way near the end that is a play on Aliens and has a brief scare, but that's literally it. A lot of dead bodies around and hints of bad poo poo about to go down but it's not really tense or actually dangerous like Subnautica. There is barely any actual combat in the game and it's all very expected and not very surprising (except one little point where you can first die from a NPC like thing which is only surprising because it's so unexpected that such a thing exists in the game at that point). You will die to oxygen or environment effects though, but it's a static world for the most part.

Edit:
I do recommend anyone actually playing it turn off the survival stuff and play on story mode. You still have to deal with tool durability which is easily the worst thing to deal with, but at least you don't have to deal with oxygen which really feels more like it increases the grind than actually locks you out or keeps you contained, especially after the first chapter.

Edit #2:
And the humor is definitely juvenile and annoying in spots, plus the suit talks constantly as you're actually progressing, but it's nowhere near as bad as most are making it out to be. It cracks a few jokes at sensitive topics but it's not a theme or regular thing.

nessin fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 28, 2021