Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Can someone give me the tea on podcast apps for the Watch? I’m kind of tired of RadioPublic not having a Watch app. I’m willing to pay for a good one, no ads and being able to import my current subs and new RSS feeds. 2x speed is a must. Thank you 🙏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

I think Overcast and PocketCasts are generally considered the best that watch companion apps.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

im on the net me boys posted:

Can someone give me the tea on podcast apps for the Watch? I’m kind of tired of RadioPublic not having a Watch app. I’m willing to pay for a good one, no ads and being able to import my current subs and new RSS feeds. 2x speed is a must. Thank you 🙏

Both PocketCasts and Overcast do this but Overcast has the best speed, trim silence, etc options. I don't know how Marco pulled it off but he did.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Skeezy posted:

Both PocketCasts and Overcast do this but Overcast has the best speed, trim silence, etc options. I don't know how Marco pulled it off but he did.

PocketCasts got better. I normally listen at 1.5x and it doesn't do the robot voice either which I loving hate.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I’ve tried out Overcast and that seems to be exactly what I wanted. Thanks everyone!!!

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
My main gripe with Overcast is that the rewind/fast-forward buttons are pretty flaky. They’re usually slower to respond than the native Now Playing app at best, or sometimes don’t even do anything at worst. I think he’s basically re-writing the watch app so maybe it’ll improve. It could also be janky watchOS APIs for all I know but it’s still kind of a pain when trying to seek through an ad break or something.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I end up manually downloading podcasts I want to play on my watch before my run with Outcast. I've found that syncing podcasts from the phone to the watch is very unreliable in both Overcast and Castro.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Are there any good Watch face gallery sites? Like people submit their watch faces. I’m sure there’s good ideas about complications, layouts, etc that I haven’t thought of or might find useful.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

I end up manually downloading podcasts I want to play on my watch before my run with Outcast. I've found that syncing podcasts from the phone to the watch is very unreliable in both Overcast and Castro.

That's why I ended up going with PocketCasts on this. I don't want to download podcasts to my watch so PC now lets you stream via the watch if you have a cell model.

What I'm saying is, get a cell model.

Violator posted:

Are there any good Watch face gallery sites? Like people submit their watch faces. I’m sure there’s good ideas about complications, layouts, etc that I haven’t thought of or might find useful.

One day Apple will finally allow people to make and design custom watchfaces for a fee and I'll have no problem with that.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Overcast just released an update and redid their watch app. Now you can sync the first 20 podcasts of any playlist. I haven’t done that yet, but the fast forward and rewind seem to be much better now. Just as responsive as the phone app.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

cryptoclastic posted:

Overcast just released an update and redid their watch app. Now you can sync the first 20 podcasts of any playlist. I haven’t done that yet, but the fast forward and rewind seem to be much better now. Just as responsive as the phone app.

Pretty sure that update isn't out yet, unless you mean on the TestFlight. I saw Marco mention something about the watch app getting redone though.

https://twitter.com/marcoarment/status/1358541268469620741?s=20

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Skeezy posted:

Pretty sure that update isn't out yet, unless you mean on the TestFlight. I saw Marco mention something about the watch app getting redone though.

If I am on the TestFlight I somehow signed up without knowing. Maybe it releases on different app stores at different times? I'm in Korea and it is definitely out here.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

cryptoclastic posted:

If I am on the TestFlight I somehow signed up without knowing. Maybe it releases on different app stores at different times? I'm in Korea and it is definitely out here.

Looking forward to that then, I don’t have it showing up under the App Store yet. TestFlight doesn’t seem to have it either.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It's out now.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

It’s in my updates right now and I’m not in any TestFlight.

e: holy poo poo it’s 5.9 MB

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah, I just saw the update. If this thing allows streaming I'll come back to it, I don't think the new app does that.

Edit: Hmm, the app still prefers that I download to the watch. It's fine and honestly, I don't expect Marco to ever change it. It is a much nicer watch app though I'll give it credit.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 25, 2021

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Another random person marveling at contactless payments with the Apple Watch story. I was using it to grab a snack from the vending machine at work and someone spots me using and was surprised it was a thing. The thing that I got a kick out of was the person themselves had an Apple Watch.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Another random person marveling at contactless payments with the Apple Watch story. I was using it to grab a snack from the vending machine at work and someone spots me using and was surprised it was a thing. The thing that I got a kick out of was the person themselves had an Apple Watch.

I think people just kind of forget it's a feature.

I was talking to a coworker today about the new beta update that enables unlocking if you've got a mask. He said that's cool but the bummer is you can't unlock Apple Pay with it.

I reminded him you could just use Pay on the watch and he's like, "oh... right."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Got my first failure with mine yesterday, and I looked a fool. Luckily had my wallet with my cards in it at least, but kinda turned what should’ve been a quick and easy exit into a mess.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I love the Apple Pay support on the watch. I haven’t paid any other way at a POS since I got the watch.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

I think people just kind of forget it's a feature.

I was talking to a coworker today about the new beta update that enables unlocking if you've got a mask. He said that's cool but the bummer is you can't unlock Apple Pay with it.

I reminded him you could just use Pay on the watch and he's like, "oh... right."

I saw the guy's screen after I showed him how to use it. He literally had no cards loaded. Possible he never set it up his Apple Wallet at all.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Got my first failure with mine yesterday, and I looked a fool. Luckily had my wallet with my cards in it at least, but kinda turned what should’ve been a quick and easy exit into a mess.

That does happen to me every once in a while, but it's been usually a network issue. Doing it again usually worked for me.

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, I hate that. It's usually me doing at the wrong time or place and looking like an idiot. More of the machines need to mark where to put your wrist.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Today’s Apple Watch complaint: the always on display doesn’t show the timer. Just the useless overlay with the current time and the blurred background.

Actually, does watchOS even support apps doing anything with the always on display?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

im on the net me boys posted:

I love the Apple Pay support on the watch. I haven’t paid any other way at a POS since I got the watch.

:same:

smackfu posted:

Today’s Apple Watch complaint: the always on display doesn’t show the timer. Just the useless overlay with the current time and the blurred background.

Actually, does watchOS even support apps doing anything with the always on display?

Probably not. The whole point of it was so you could glance down to check the time without having to raise/move your arm. Allowing active updates of the display beyond just moving the minute and hour hands (the second hand is not displayed in AoD) would probably have a massive impact on battery life.

Plus, there's the whole privacy aspect regarding some of the data you can display on the face. When you had to actively lift it up to display it was not much an issue, but if it just hung out on the AoD watch face everyone and god could look at it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I didn't really use my Watch for Apple Pay until the pandemic. Now I use it all the time. (I just used my phone, but now that requires punching in a passcode.)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah apple pay on the watch is fantastic. I had some cash recently so used it for some shopping and it felt like stepping back three centuries.

And it's almost unimaginable having to actually get correct change for the bus rather than just waving your arm. Not that I've been on a bus for a year.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

smackfu posted:

I use the timer complication that displays it when you tap screen, it’s not ideal but I don’t mind

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wish I could use Apple Pay, but practically all banks over here in Belgium insist on Bancontact, which is a decades old but perfectly working solution, that also supports nowadays NFC and works fine on Android. Except the iPhone, because Apple apparently doesn't allow third party app to fiddle with the NFC transceiver nilly-willy. :|

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Proteus Jones posted:

Probably not. The whole point of it was so you could glance down to check the time without having to raise/move your arm. Allowing active updates of the display beyond just moving the minute and hour hands (the second hand is not displayed in AoD) would probably have a massive impact on battery life.

I use the Infograph Modular face on my S6 with AoD and I'm pretty sure the time never updates from when the active display turns to AoD. On all occasions I can recall if several minutes have passed I will see the time jump to the current time when raising or tapping the watch face. Is this not normal behavior?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wish I could use Apple Pay, but practically all banks over here in Belgium insist on Bancontact, which is a decades old but perfectly working solution, that also supports nowadays NFC and works fine on Android. Except the iPhone, because Apple apparently doesn't allow third party app to fiddle with the NFC transceiver nilly-willy. :|
I could be way wrong but I'm under the impression from an American perspective that basically anything NFC-capable should be able to use Apple Pay very very easily, almost to the point where not accepting Apple Pay can be more effort than accepting it depending on your POS.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

smackfu posted:

Did you listen to that ATP episode?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

fourwood posted:

I could be way wrong but I'm under the impression from an American perspective that basically anything NFC-capable should be able to use Apple Pay very very easily, almost to the point where not accepting Apple Pay can be more effort than accepting it depending on your POS.
It's more the enabling Apple Pay thing that's a hindrance. Debit and credit cards need to be enabled for use with Apple Pay over here in my country, and they're typically not, except for one or two banks.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's more the enabling Apple Pay thing that's a hindrance. Debit and credit cards need to be enabled for use with Apple Pay over here in my country, and they're typically not, except for one or two banks.

That’s pretty much it. The banks need to do some work to enable Apple Pay, but once that’s done the watch behaves like an ordinary contactless card so would work in the same way wherever tap to pay is supported. A foreigner with a valid card in their Apple Pay wallet would be able to use their watch in a country where none of the local banks support it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

Same in Italy, thankfully one of the biggest system integrator for that market(Nexi, formerly CartaSI) does support apple/google/Samsung/Garmin pay natively and is migrating most of their customers from BancoMat to MasterCard (activating mobile payments during the switch off)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Skeezy posted:

Did you listen to that ATP episode?

Heh, did they discuss it recently? I’m a few episodes behind.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

smackfu posted:

Heh, did they discuss it recently? I’m a few episodes behind.

Marco had a whole thing about the AW timers, it’s on episode 417.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Ok today is the day I have to burn 3,094 calories to get my feb challenge.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

sonatinas posted:

Ok today is the day I have to burn 3,094 calories to get my feb challenge.

171 minutes of exercise remaining for me. I guess that's technically doable but gently caress that, it's Sunday and almost 6pm and I have work tomorrow.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Got the Beats Flex so I could easily swap the buds between my phone and watch unlike my last pair and I gotta say, being able to leave my phone behind and start a podcast on my watch with no pairing fuss is everything I wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I need 7 more minutes, which I can probably get just walking around the house.

Which is good, since it's raining.