Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jay Rust posted:

That pic is clearly just the 1444 start, they just loaded up the game for the first time and took the photo, theyre not real gamers

Those absolute bastards.

Snivelling prudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Real men play from American Dream

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jay Rust posted:

That pic is clearly just the 1444 start, they just loaded up the game for the first time and took the photo, theyre not real gamers

I mean the 1444 start setup is by far the most historically accurate

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

Then again, it would be funny to see them load up a screen where Ryukyu has blanketed western Europe

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You play Europa Universalis?

Name every country

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Poil posted:

And how do they sometimes get access through third party nations and I don't?

This is usually due to the difference between Military Access and Conditional Military Access. Proper Military Access (MA) comes from sending a diplomat to get permission to march your armies through that country. Conditional Military Access (CMA) is automatically granted as long as certain conditions are fulfilled. Liege and Vassal will always have CMA through each other and in a war all war participants will have CMA in every war participant. They will also have CMA through any country that grants MA to any of the participants. You will however not get CMA through a country just because another war participant have CMA through that country.

Example: If you are at war with Bohemia and they are in a separate war with Riga and Riga get's MA through Poland, Bohemia will have CMA though Poland but you won't.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

TMMadman posted:

Yeah I've definitely learned more history because of Paradox games than I ever did in school just because i'll see something happen and then i'll go look it up to see what actually happened.

Same. I only knew about the Thirty Years' War by name before playing EU4. When I encountered it in the game I started reading up on it a little, and oh boy did that explain a lot of things about Europe that they didn't teach in school when I was a kid. I wouldn't say the game itself teaches history or anything, but it's definitely had me looking up historical events that are incredibly fascinating that I'd probably never learn about if I weren't playing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

skasion posted:

...is she playing as Athens

im p sure it's Florence

pushing from Champagne and collecting in Genoa, improving relations with lucca and fabricating on siena, italian army ("Armata di something"), republic ??

e:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The military access map mode is mvp

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do you get anything out of returning unlawful HRE territory? I've been seeing dummy princes wage bloody years-long wars for a province and then return it two weeks later

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

You play Europa Universalis?

Name every country

There's Ulm and then there are places that are about to be Ulm.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jay Rust posted:

Do you get anything out of returning unlawful HRE territory? I've been seeing dummy princes wage bloody years-long wars for a province and then return it two weeks later

everyone gets very mad at you if you don't and the province gets big penalties. but i'll keep annexing that garbage

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PittTheElder posted:

Bring back 1399 in 5 :colbert:

Although removing the start at any date feature means there will be no more pro Byz strat of starting right after Ottomans get rolled by Timur in 1403

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Jay Rust posted:

You get a pretty nasty malice for refusing. You can prevent it by starting a new war while coreing the land.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah but why does the AI fight and annex if its just gonna return it

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah but why does the AI fight and annex if it’s just gonna return it

I'd assume the idea is try and hold it but then they start to get some bad relations and decide to give it up to improve them or face getting destroyed.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Also if the AI annexes two HRE provinces they'll probably only return one.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Also if the AI annexes two HRE provinces they'll probably only return one.

I think its certainty rather than probability. As the emperor you get an insurmountable penalty to requesting anyone to return a second province within a few years of the first, even if they were annexed in different wars or whatever.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

TorakFade posted:

Can you form Jerusalem then eat and reform France? I don't think either is an end game tag

I believe so, yes.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Alright, won a grueling religious league war against Emperor France, Spain, Commonwealth, Russia, and others, now I'm Protestant Emperor Bohemia, time to pass some refor-

Welp

At least I got God Tier without using client state cheese

e: actually now that I think about it, this should be pretty easy to deal with. Just need to capture Paris to force France to move their capital into the HRE.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 26, 2021

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fritz the Horse posted:

I believe so, yes.

Well now the ruler of austria croaked and I inherited them, and instantly became emperor. Had to fight france for the pu but I had already backstabbed them by using them as an attack dog vs england then stealing all of normandy, so whatever. I think I could still form Jerusalem but that would mean leaving the HRE which I can't do as emperor, maybe when the electors inevitably tell me to gently caress off? Or maybe it is automatic when you form Jerusalem? Not sure it is worth it except for the achievement now though

It's not even 1500 and I am emperor of the HRE and overlord of Austria, Hungary (who also inherited croatia), Aragon, Naples, Navarra and Lorraine, no more diplo slots for alliances but who needs them now :getin: let's just hope I can manage to keep liberty desire down until I can finish grabbing southern France because aragon and hungary are almost as strong as me and they don't like it one bit (I am 3rd great power with like 200 dev myself lol)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 26, 2021

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Alright, won a grueling religious league war against Emperor France, Spain, Commonwealth, Russia, and others, now I'm Protestant Emperor Bohemia, time to pass some refor-

Im failing horribly at preventing the spread of Protestants and Reformation so Im waiting desperately for the league war to fire as I believe winning that will give me some religious conversion bonuses.

Separately Ive been pursuing a administrative/influence ideas group strategy to get the 20% annexation discount policy which I believe stacks with the idea group discount.

Is this actually a monarch points efficient way of gaining territory or would I be better of just taking it directly?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

annexing vassals is very good because you're spending diplo points on something that normally requires admin.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Welp

At least I got God Tier without using client state cheese

e: actually now that I think about it, this should be pretty easy to deal with. Just need to capture Paris to force France to move their capital into the HRE.

You should have the Imperial Ban CB right? Start grabbing provinces and spinning off new Protestant princes.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Jazerus posted:

annexing vassals is very good because you're spending diplo points on something that normally requires admin.

Also you can save heaps of AE.

...take a single province that has a core of a dead tag, which has more cores nearby. Release as vassal. Later, do a reconquest war and get those cores returned. Then diploannex. Rinse and repeat.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

PittTheElder posted:

You should have the Imperial Ban CB right? Start grabbing provinces and spinning off new Protestant princes.

That would still have taken several wars to bring all of France into the HRE. I just no-CBed them and did it in one

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm outside Europe and somehow Brittany is an HRE elector despite the border not being pushed westward anywhere else. How did they manage that?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kurland, mega Prussia, mega Austria who has reached the gates of Constantinople Istanbul. Oh and please check out my minimap to see how the weird the fog has been lifted since I didn't feel like getting exploration ideas and haven't done any map buying/stealing either. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 27, 2021

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm outside Europe and somehow Brittany is an HRE elector despite the border not being pushed westward anywhere else. How did they manage that?

Religion fuckery?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Welp, Charles the Bold finally croaked at age 74 and I got Burgundy under PU. The event to inherit them will fire any day now, it's a MTTH of 180 months (15 years) after you get Burgundy under PU. Unfortunately I'm stuck at Duchy rank in the HRE so I'm not going to have the governing capacity to state much of it. Oh well!

I've got Burgundy, Naples, and Aragon PU'd and grabbed Ferrara and Cyprus as vassals just because. Cyprus will be handy for going after the Mamluks.

I'm going to wait on forming Jerusalem until I eat Savoy and some more of the HRE. Apparently forming Jerusalem removes you from the HRE so I want to bite off some more of it while I'm still a member. Gobbling France will be slow going, they'll probably end up allying the Ottomans at some point and I'll have some fun wars.

Hungary isn't under PU to Austria so at some point I'll grab Hungary too.

After the initial war with England I spent most of my manpower and money helping Burgundy fight dumb wars against Austria and company. I put all my effort into propping up Burgundy hoping the Inheritance would fire for me (I looked at the event and it was better than 80% odds with the way things unfolded). I had to restart maybe a dozen times to get a setup where Burgundy would ally me day one and wasn't friendly with Austria.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Seeing screenshots always makes me sad about how badly the AI Ottomans underperform.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Confirmation bias since they tend to run rampant in 95% of my games.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

PittTheElder posted:

Seeing screenshots always makes me sad about how badly the AI Ottomans underperform.

There's really no good mechanic in the game right now to represent how the Ottomans historically conquered basically the entirety of the Mamluks in a year and a half.

Most of the games I've played recently the Ottoman-Mamluk borders stay pretty static and sometimes the Mamluks beat them and take parts of Anatolia.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

In my last Naples > Italy game they actually did pretty well, beating up the Mamluks, Hungarians, weak balkan nations and Russia by themselves before I had to stop them for my mission tree

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Jerusalem (and other Crusader States) have a fun mission tree, looks like.

edit: in retrospect maybe I should've taken Admin ideas. Not too late, only bought three into Economic.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 27, 2021

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

These get X% trade power in some node missions are pretty tough! Is there a trick to them besides spam light ships

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Jay Rust posted:

These get X% trade power in some node missions are pretty tough! Is there a trick to them besides spam light ships

Conquer their CoTs :v: Which missions in particular are the problem? Even a single CoT with decent mercantilism and trade buildings will usually dominate a node.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Conquer their CoTs :v: Which missions in particular are the problem? Even a single CoT with decent mercantilism and trade buildings will usually dominate a node.

I suppose conquest would work, I wish the mission gave a CB or something

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PittTheElder posted:

Same but the iberians steamrolling the maghreb

Also I wouldnt mind some events/missions for certain annexations: ottomans/mamluks, one sheep absorbing the other, Muscovy/Novgorod, the HYW being able to end in one war instead of two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Same but the iberians steamrolling the maghreb

Also I wouldnt mind some events/missions for certain annexations: ottomans/mamluks, one sheep absorbing the other, Muscovy/Novgorod, the HYW being able to end in one war instead of two

A spectre is haunting Europe, the spectre of Europa Universalis 2