Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Spatulater bro! posted:

I just watched All These Women from the Bergman set. I didn't know he ever made a bad movie - let alone an atrocious one - but here we are.

Oh man, just wait until you get to his two English-language films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
You know, I didn't hate the Touch. I'm not going to say it was amazing or that I would recommend it as my first Bergman, but it's not that bad.

If I had to give it a grade, probably a C+ or B-. It has some pretty major flaws - mainly it could use a bit of tightening up all around. But I feel better for having seen it.

I haven't seen his other one, so I can't speak to that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up, we now have a Federico Fellini thread and an Agnes Varda thread.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay it's only on the channel for like one or two more days but Mad Love is a trip. I watched the silent Hands of Orlac and it was just okay, a little cornball, but this version- directed by Karl Freund and starring Peter Lorre- is just gloriously crazy, leaning into the melodrama and ultimately letting Lorre just cut loose. It's barely 65 minutes long and doesn't stop to try and make sense.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gonna second Mad Love, great stuff.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Nth-ing Mad Love. I watched it recently as well on the Criterion channel and loved it. I'd seen and enjoyed the Conrad Veidt version a long time ago, but this one tops it. There's so much pleasant weirdness going on, not least of all the indescribably watchable Peter Lorre (sporting a bald head, making him even more otherworldly than usual). It's a great time.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Watched Mad Love because of the comments. It slaps.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Peter Lorre (spoilers for an almost 90 year old film) in the neck brace, gloves and shades is a loving awesome look. Great flick.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Man, the Japanese Noir collection streaming on the channel now is so loving good. Got through Pigs and Battleships over the weekend and I’m almost through with Rusty Knife now

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

bradburypancakes posted:

Man, the Japanese Noir collection streaming on the channel now is so loving good. Got through Pigs and Battleships over the weekend
Am I weird for thinking the main guy in that has fashion sense straight from the turn of the 21st century?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Badlands is such a great movie. This is your reminder to watch Badlands.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

oh yeah?? well then why didn't they call it Goodlands, huh?!?!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kart Barfunkel posted:

It's one hell of a debut. The 70s loving ruled.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

bradburypancakes posted:

Man, the Japanese Noir collection streaming on the channel now is so loving good. Got through Pigs and Battleships over the weekend and I’m almost through with Rusty Knife now

Pale Flower is really good too.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The flash sale should be tomorrow. Put on your game faces.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Sweet

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Neat my sister got me a gift card for Christmas

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They sent me an email a few weeks ago containing a $10 credit because I’m a Criterion Channel Charter sub person or whatever you call it, so you may want to check your email for the same.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Uh wow, apparently I never redeemed any of the Criterion Channel gift codes they've sent, so I've got $60 in credit to use :eyepop:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Uh wow, apparently I never redeemed any of the Criterion Channel gift codes they've sent, so I've got $60 in credit to use :eyepop:

Lol I was once like you but I blew it all on shiny discs.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think I need to do this.

edit: wewt, I had $50 in codes.

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 23, 2021

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just searched through my Promotions inbox and found two of these! Sweet.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The sale's live.

I ordered Dekalog and Black Narcissus. With my extra $20 off the total was $56.30. It's like I got Dekalog half off and Black Narcissus for free. I'm happy.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Big Mean Jerk posted:

thanks for that reminder, I only had $10 but I'll take it!

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Had a $10 gift certificate back from 2012 so I ended up using that. Ended up getting:

Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits
Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai
Husbands
The Parallax View
Wanda

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Site is toast. Applied my gift code and the page timed out. Refreshed and gift code vanished and now says it's been used so I can't apply it again.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Picked up Days of Heaven, The New World, The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez, the post-war Kurosawa boxset and the Andre Gregory and Wallace Shawn boxset. Every past flash sale Gregorio Cortez has been out of print, so this time I had to catch it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just redeemed 3 $10 gift certificates and paid $11 for Samurai Trilogy.

Also I finally wanna buy Heaven's Gate and it's not available. :(

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

The sale's live.

I ordered Dekalog and Black Narcissus. With my extra $20 off the total was $56.30. It's like I got Dekalog half off and Black Narcissus for free. I'm happy.

Black narcissus rules

I got the snowblood two-pack for 13 bucks all in. I only have a handful of criterion discs and usually only buy stuff that isnt likely to show up on CC bc of licensing but I've been watching meiko kaji flicks all winter

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Cashed in 3 codes to get One Eyed Jacks for $8 CAD total. Cheap!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
God drat the Godzilla set is gorgeous

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My haul just got delivered -- Tampopo, Tokyo Olympiad, Yojimbo/Sanjuro, Godzilla, and Dr. Strangelove

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I got the Elephant Man, Salo, the Nikkatsu Noir boxset, the complete Lady Snowblood, and the Monsters and Madmen boxset (with two Boris Karloff films I'd never even heard of :prepop:)

A friend also got me the complete Agnes Varda boxset, which was so cool it almost made me forget to even make this post about what I got in the sale. Gonna need to dedicate a whole month at some point just to watching everything on there

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

I got the Elephant Man, Salo, the Nikkatsu Noir boxset, the complete Lady Snowblood, and the Monsters and Madmen boxset (with two Boris Karloff films I'd never even heard of :prepop:)

A friend also got me the complete Agnes Varda boxset, which was so cool it almost made me forget to even make this post about what I got in the sale. Gonna need to dedicate a whole month at some point just to watching everything on there

CineD's got an Agnes Varda thread just for that purpose

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is there a good entry film for Guy Maddin’s work? The premise of The Green Fog intrigues me, but I hear his work can be difficult due to the experimentation.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Got Parasite and The Hidden Fortress because I am very basic. The Picture quality on both is amazing and the commentary track for Parasite is top notch. Whats the next Kurosawa to watch after Hidden Fortess, Seven Samurai and Rashomon?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

LionYeti posted:

Whats the next Kurosawa to watch after Hidden Fortess, Seven Samurai and Rashomon?

High and Low. And Yojimbo I guess, but definitely High and Low.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

If you wanna stick to samurai stuff: Yojimbo or Throne of Blood.

If you want to try something different, but still one of his best: High and Low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Came to post High and Low as well, it's so good.