Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

you know, for my first painting project, i probably should have picked a primer other than the exact same color as the plastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

StashAugustine posted:

you know, for my first painting project, i probably should have picked a primer other than the exact same color as the plastic

They make black plastic models?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

No, I just decided to get grey primer without really thinking it through. I gave one sprue a coat of primer and got impatient once it was mostly dry and went ahead with some of the basing

I think the primer wasn't evenly applied, seems like the helmets in particular are patchy? Not sure if it needs a second coat before trying details.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I personally would highly recommend a tank - I find it extremely hard to believe they found a way to make it actually work "just as well" or else everyone would be switching to tankless designs. Unless your hobby space is at an extreme premium, you're gonna get more consistent pressure / less time spent hoovering up air with a tank.

I'm of the same opinion, get the one with the tank. But if you have a partner/roommates, do a better job than I do of turning it OFF between painting sessions, the drat thing will come on to top up tank pressure at 3am.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

mllaneza posted:

I'm of the same opinion, get the one with the tank. But if you have a partner/roommates, do a better job than I do of turning it OFF between painting sessions, the drat thing will come on to top up tank pressure at 3am.

Maybe I slept through it but I've never had this happen and I've definitely accidentally left it on for days at a time

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Working on this big boi. Knocked over my pot of Wyldwood in the process tho T_T

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Painted a tiny gnome buddy with a fancy bazooka.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

first batch done for now, pretty happy for a first try. coloring is a little off from what i'd like but the wash worked out super well

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Phi230 posted:

Though I am tempted, once I get better as a painter, to get those fancy Artis Opus brushes. Anyone have experience with those?

Save your money.

I was using 8404s, decide to get some Artis Opus to try. They’re totally fine, ok brushes. Absurdly small belly in the brushes, but no finer tips or better quality than the 8404.

I still have them, I use them extremely rarely when i need to do line work where the 8404 is physically too large to go without hitting something else (extremely rare)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i bought a couple bags of those little glass beads to use as weights in my paints. put a few in some pots, put the bags away, can't find them again. minor inconvenience. but now i've got the fear, because eventually i'm gonna open a box or knock something over, and 200 tiny glass balls are gonna go loving everywhere and ruin my life

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

jesus WEP posted:

i bought a couple bags of those little glass beads to use as weights in my paints. put a few in some pots, put the bags away, can't find them again. minor inconvenience. but now i've got the fear, because eventually i'm gonna open a box or knock something over, and 200 tiny glass balls are gonna go loving everywhere and ruin my life

It's gonna be like looney tunes and you're going to slip and slide all over the place.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Where can you order the little chunks of slate or similar for basing?

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

PRADA SLUT posted:

Those come out of the ground. You don't need to buy them.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

PRADA SLUT posted:

If you're looking for basing options that look like rock, I would suggest heading down to your local Michaels or similar crafts store and look for a pack of cork sheeting. You can break off pieces to create flat-topped with irregular edges pieces sized to your base. Then just prime it and paint it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The French Army posted:

Those come out of the ground. You don't need to buy them.

If you live in the right places, they can have teeny tiny fossils too.

I once found what was either a fossilized seashell or a rock impression from a seashell fossil that was the size of a mini's hand and made for a great addition to a beach base.

Alternatively, Woodland Scenics maybe or just break up some cork sheets and paint them like slate.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Cork is great for filling out bases but it doesn't really look like sheets of rock in the same way that slate does.

You can buy little bags of slate from I think Gale Force 9? Should be a few different brands on Amazon / ebay. It's a bit overpriced but the size is about right and it's enough to do quite a few bases and it's the easiest method if you don't want to put extra work into it.

Alternatively, go to a home improvement store, find some slate tiles, and whack it with a hammer. Downside is the pieces are going to be pretty uniform in thickness and flat on both sides, so it doesn't always look right depending on what you're going for.

The other good option for fake rock is using bark chips, which are cheap and look like slate when you paint them. Plus side is the are light and easy to drill / break apart. Downside is finding the right kind of chips can be a challenge - most places only have the really shredded pet-bedding type.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I live in the city so I can’t just go out and pick up rocks and poo poo for basing. I bought a bag of slate chunks on Amazon for like ten bucks, they had different sizes available and I’ve made dozens of bases with them.I especially like that they’re fairly uniform in appearance so they give may bases a consistent look.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cthulu Carl posted:

If you live in the right places, they can have teeny tiny fossils too.

I once found what was either a fossilized seashell or a rock impression from a seashell fossil that was the size of a mini's hand and made for a great addition to a beach base.

Alternatively, Woodland Scenics maybe or just break up some cork sheets and paint them like slate.

Since I know you live in my general area, Trammel Fossil Park is a great place to find tiny fossils. I actually bought a gold panning sifter set so I could get appropriate sizes.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Pet stores also often have slate (and a bunch of other types stones in various sizes) available. It’s used for both aquariums and terrariums. It’s a lot cheaper than model companies.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Winklebottom posted:

Looks good! I did my Ironskull's Boyz with grimy dark armor. It's pretty fun going all out on dirtying them up.

Thank you!

I tried to do one up kinda like yours but I both misremembered how yours look and am missing some options when it comes to metallic paints.

Also did another one in another scheme. Have been trying something different for each so don't mind the mismatched bases. I don't play, so they're not really meant to be a unit.

Verisimilidude posted:

Finished the herald(?) from the Dark Souls board game. Trying to not use contrast paints and stick strictly to layering for these guys.
Love the shield and cloak on this guy. Pant legs and sleeves too.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Barf Wight posted:

Thank you!

I tried to do one up kinda like yours but I both misremembered how yours look and am missing some options when it comes to metallic paints.

This guy looks awesome, what are you using for rust on the axe?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Been working on more options for my Helbrute.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Barf Wight posted:

Also did another one in another scheme. Have been trying something different for each so don't mind the mismatched bases. I don't play, so they're not really meant to be a unit.

The red and white is a neat scheme for orcs. Might give it a whirl once I get to one of the other orc warbands.

I finally got started on Garrek's Reavers.

I bought these guys secondhand and they were already assembled and primed. During painting I noticed they were absolutely rife with moldlines and sprue marks but I can't be bothered to remove them at this point :v:

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

This guy looks awesome, what are you using for rust on the axe?

Thanks. The rust is an effect paint from vallejo. Really simple shortcut to some extra gunk on a model.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

i went into my front garden and picked up pieces of mulch from the ground. i bought many things from the army painter like paintbrushes and tufts and also bought a box of about a million tiny pieces of jagged cork bark. when you paint them they look good enough

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bucnasti posted:

I live in the city so I can’t just go out and pick up rocks and poo poo for basing. I bought a bag of slate chunks on Amazon for like ten bucks, they had different sizes available and I’ve made dozens of bases with them.I especially like that they’re fairly uniform in appearance so they give may bases a consistent look.

Same, I might just grab a pack on Amazon. I'm unsure about wood chips because I'm pinning some larger models and don't want things to slip / tear through.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

WIP on this Artel W ork warboss. Doing a study on oil paints and the "grimdark" style

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

WIP on this Artel W ork warboss. Doing a study on oil paints and the "grimdark" style

Hell yes dude, this is what I picture when I think of orks. Big green dude with beat up metal and checkered patterns, love it!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I have been painting a lot of terrain scatter and stuff for d&d and I have a question for you all, that I can't seem to find a consistent answer on.
Do you drybrush then wash? Or wash then drybrush?

I've seen tutorials done both ways, and I'm not really sure if it's ...like do you drybrush again after you do the wash? Tell me your secrets.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

drybrushing shouldn’t be the last thing you do on a surface imo, it doesn’t have a particularly nice finish. putting a wash or a contrast paint preserves some of the contrast the drybrush gave you, while hiding some of its chalky dusty finish

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

thoughts on doing drybrush as a "final" step if you plan to seal the model with gloss/matte varnish as an actual final step?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

jesus WEP posted:

drybrushing shouldn’t be the last thing you do on a surface imo, it doesn’t have a particularly nice finish. putting a wash or a contrast paint preserves some of the contrast the drybrush gave you, while hiding some of its chalky dusty finish

See for me it depends on what surface you’re drybrushing and to what extent. Drybrushing a near-white onto my textured is literally the last step I do (other than painting the base rim) on most of my models. And that’s a VERY light drybrush that just catches the edges and gives the base texture more pop. But there are other surfaces on figures, like scales, where I might wash after if it feels like the drybrush hasn’t unified well enough with the color layers under it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I also think it kind of depends on what paint you're dry brushing with. Whites and tans definitely work better if you wash afterward while metallics look fine as a last step.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Another way to think about it is that a wash brings highlights down a little and dry brushing (usually) is about making highlights and edges/things stand out. So, depending on what you’re trying to accomplish, either one might go on before/after the other.

I think broadly, I’ve seen people use a wash after dry brushing a little more, because it sorta pulls models together. You can also use a quite aggressive dry brush (as in dry brush with a much lighter colour) if you plan to bright it down with a wash at the end.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Some more Malifaux figures from the last wee while

Some Wind Gamin (Wind Elementals basically)

Howard Langston/Steamborg Executioner (1e Metal figure)

2 Saboteurs.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Finished the ArtelW Iron Boss. It was a ton of fun to paint! Wanted to try a different style (blanchitsu-esque/grim dark) than what I'm used to and using a lot of oil paints. The base is kinda meh so I'll probably come back to it later with something more interesting.

Overall it took about 5 hours to paint, but it was very easy and satisfying to work on.

edit: Here he is next to the official Ghaz model.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 1, 2021

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

For something a little different, painted this Reaper viking mouse to try some NMM for the first time ever

and just messing with the settings on my iphone camera

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 1, 2021

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Verisimilidude posted:

For something a little different, painted this Reaper viking mouse to try some NMM for the first time ever

and just messing with the settings on my iphone camera

Man, that green cloak is terrific. It almost glows.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

"Big alien gorilla wolf motherfuckers. I swear."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

Finished the ArtelW Iron Boss. It was a ton of fun to paint! Wanted to try a different style (blanchitsu-esque/grim dark) than what I'm used to and using a lot of oil paints. The base is kinda meh so I'll probably come back to it later with something more interesting.

Overall it took about 5 hours to paint, but it was very easy and satisfying to work on.

edit: Here he is next to the official Ghaz model.

Those dudes own