Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XOnKFE9g-c

This video about the United Wa State is loving me up what the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Top City Homo posted:

no one actually does incrementalism

on the whole, the entire world except china, has gotten poorer

Are we talking about Human Development Index or some other dick waving matrix?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

One term of six years.

Huh, so like Mexico, or the Confederacy. wonder where that tradition started

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd say we have one chance in three of getting a liberal president (Leni Robredo) again after next year's elections. There is a back-and-forth nature to politics, but the liberal party is especially weak - think Biden if Trump didn't gently caress up COVID.

Other potential presidential winners besides Duterte the Younger and Robredo include Ferdinand Marcos Junior, and Manny Pacquiao.

why 1/3, who among the other candidates have equal chances with Robredo and Duterte?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

What do China apologists say about 996 culture? These are happening at China's national champion tech companies, the ones building China's future and independence from American big tech. Has the government actually tried to crack down on this practice? This involution article is from one of the Chinese government's own periodicals, sort of one of their NPR outlets perhaps.

https://twitter.com/tommy_cleary/status/1328628420108926976

https://twitter.com/chenchenzh/status/1346445565199077376

And no, this isn't a "China bad U.S. good" issue because these Shenzhen and other big city corporations are literally taking the Silicon Valley all-nighter burnout model and adapting it for their own. It's bad all around.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

stephenthinkpad posted:

Are we talking about Human Development Index or some other dick waving matrix?

the amount of people who are in poverty today is about 6% higher than 50 years ago

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You get mindmelting takes when talking about China. China was brought up in the POS and people started talking about how Chinese people are very racist and how Chinese imperialism is a threat.

:laugh:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

east asian working culture is pretty nuts - it's not unusual to see Chinese/South Korean/Japanese employees of multinationals (across industries including tech) work 50% more hours than Western employees.
it's depressing because you can see their productivity is worse because of all the bullshit around facetime in the office etc. it has knock-on effects on people marrying, settling down, having kids etc.

posters itt like to poo poo on Japan/South Korea as US client states but my sense is that China is going to speedrun their economic and demographic arc. the irony is the US with its open immigration policy has less to worry about east asian demographic bomb

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The US fertility rate has been steadily dropping even with immigration. Now, it is roughly comparable to the PRC with the PRC’s population controls. We would at have to rely on raw net immigration while steadily making life ever more miserable for both documented and undocumented immigrants.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

guess what, the US still has the luxury of people wanting to immigrate here
like i said, China's going to follow the same demographic arc of ethnic monocultures like Japan and Korea

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Maximo Roboto posted:

Huh, so like Mexico, or the Confederacy. wonder where that tradition started

why 1/3, who among the other candidates have equal chances with Robredo and Duterte?

Our Constitution used to have a Presidencies with a four year term, and limited to two terms.

Ferdinand Marcos went full dictator as his second term was about to end and he wouldn't be able to run again.

So when we ousted him in 1986 (the anniversary of People Power was just this 25th) and rewrote the Constitution, it was changed to one term of six years as a compromise.

I'm saying one in three because Robredo's popularity is very limited, and they're not likely to run on anything meaningfully significant besides "am not Duterte".

Besides Sara Duterte, I think Pacquiao and Marcos Jr have a shot at winning. They're all drawing from the same right-wing voter base, but that base forms a majority as far as current polling reflects.

It's possible that Robredo edges out a win if all the conservatives split the vote between them so hard that she takes a plurality with something like 30% of the vote.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah the west doesn't really need to worry about lack of people trying to get in when draughts and famine start making it impossible to survive in some countries.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

shrike82 posted:

like i said, China's going to follow the same demographic arc of ethnic monocultures like Japan and Korea

It is still largely by design and we don’t know when the natural inflection point is.

That said, even with net immigration, rising inequality in the US will greatly stifle future economic growth and may even an even more influential factor. People may want to move to the US but if the economy itself is completely dysfunctional, raw population growth it isn’t going to be enough.

Also, the PRC is only a couple years off from overshooting the US anyway but it’s growth rates will likely to slowly drop over time.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 05:39 on Feb 28, 2021

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FREEDUMB

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

shrike82 posted:

east asian working culture is pretty nuts - it's not unusual to see Chinese/South Korean/Japanese employees of multinationals (across industries including tech) work 50% more hours than Western employees.
it's depressing because you can see their productivity is worse because of all the bullshit around facetime in the office etc. it has knock-on effects on people marrying, settling down, having kids etc.

posters itt like to poo poo on Japan/South Korea as US client states but my sense is that China is going to speedrun their economic and demographic arc. the irony is the US with its open immigration policy has less to worry about east asian demographic bomb

China currently educate 4x more engineers than the US every year, not to mention a lot of US educated Chinese students go back to China thanks to the US ridiculous tough visa policy and wait time. The US current immigration policy give not nearly enough slots to smart educated students from India and China and give wayyy tooo much quota to the political asylum seekers.

So even if China get to SK and Japan's birth rate tomorrow, China still will produce way more engineers to the market than the US year after year. US literally have to steal all of the smart people from India to catch up to China.

I also don't agree with that Chinese workers are less efficient argument. But it's purely subjective, there is nothing to argue.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

stephenthinkpad posted:

I also don't agree with that Chinese workers are less efficient argument. But it's purely subjective, there is nothing to argue.

I work with a lot of northern european vs american vendors for the same jobs back to back and man as far as the companies we use americans are like laughably inefficient by every metric

they have good workers but the organizations are always just not even trying

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

my personal anecdote working in a STEMlord field (AI) is that the US still gets the best stem graduates. the fact that top graduates still brave all the immigration bullshit highlights that the US still offers better opportunities, pay, and quality of life. more importantly, an american university education is still better than a chinese or indian university education; not to mention, offers better research opportunities

tsinghua is going to suffer the same issue as tokyo university or the national university of singapore which is they don't get the best (international) faculty, researchers, or students.

stephenthinkpad posted:

i'm arguing that the culture around facetime and hours at the office impacts their productivity, not ranking them against other countries' workers

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah how productive you are tanks pretty significantly once you go past like, 30-35 hours in a week iirc, anything after that you're completely shot

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah how productive you are tanks pretty significantly once you go past like, 30-35 hours in a week iirc, anything after that you're completely shot

For a 24/7 operation that's 5-6 shifts vs two shifts working 12 on 12 off.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

SchnorkIes posted:

For a 24/7 operation that's 5-6 shifts vs two shifts working 12 on 12 off.

ok?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i assumed burnt out office drones were the main audience for nostalgic rural life videos like this in China
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR4DiU8wcVk

considering actual rural life is not like cosplaying Stardew Valley

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah the west doesn't really need to worry about lack of people trying to get in when draughts and famine start making it impossible to survive in some countries.

Though the same might be even more true for China if they actually have their poo poo together and the pandemic wasn't a fluke.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

shrike82 posted:

US with its open immigration policy

fukken lmao forever

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

shrike82 posted:

my personal anecdote working in a STEMlord field (AI) is that the US still gets the best stem graduates. the fact that top graduates still brave all the immigration bullshit highlights that the US still offers better opportunities, pay, and quality of life. more importantly, an american university education is still better than a chinese or indian university education; not to mention, offers better research opportunities

tsinghua is going to suffer the same issue as tokyo university or the national university of singapore which is they don't get the best (international) faculty, researchers, or students.

i'm arguing that the culture around facetime and hours at the office impacts their productivity, not ranking them against other countries' workers

"we in the west are far superior to them orientals and their foreign ways. the oriental is neither capable nor willing to embrace our superior western values and way of life"

there i shortened your post for you

Agrajag has issued a correction as of 16:12 on Feb 28, 2021

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

shrike82 posted:

how long do you think that's gonna last when we let every pandemic sweep through the nation

oh and uh china's economy is going to be bigger than ours, so where do you think the world's top talent will want to go when that happens?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

shrike82 posted:

quality of life

lol

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Yeah there is definitely a nice little “war with China” consent manufacturing operation going on in the background the past several years. It’s not even about what stories are true and which aren’t, but what stories are presented at all and which ones aren’t.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

how long do you think that's gonna last when we let every pandemic sweep through the nation

oh and uh china's economy is going to be bigger than ours, so where do you think the world's top talent will want to go when that happens?

Now this is something I'd bet against.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pulcinella posted:

Yeah there is definitely a nice little “war with China” consent manufacturing operation going on in the background the past several years. It’s not even about what stories are true and which aren’t, but what stories are presented at all and which ones aren’t.

is this guy a CIA operative? he seems like it, but youtube doesn't have that little "state media" warning label so i cant tell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr13Ja8sUw4

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

China Uncensored is a Falun Gong outlet

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol yeah it's Epoch Times for the YouTube set

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol yeah it's Epoch Times for the YouTube set

my mom recently expanded her news sources from FOX and Newsmax to OAN and New Tang Dynasty, the latter definitely being the most incongruent of the bunch. but who better to learn about Uighur "genocide" and "CCP virus" than other Chinese people :thunkher:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

The US is a nation of literal pirates.

our Carcosa just so happens to be in western Texas instead, where a judge rules on all manners patent and copyright oriented

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Rutibex posted:

... that little "state media" warning label...

This prompted me to look up why the China Daily Twitter account has that “China state-affiliated media” label on it but the BBC’s accounts do not.

“help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/state-affiliated-china” posted:

How state-affiliated media accounts are defined
State-affiliated media is defined as outlets where the state exercises control over editorial content through financial resources, direct or indirect political pressures, and/or control over production and distribution. Accounts belonging to state-affiliated media entities, their editors-in-chief, and/or their senior staff may be labeled.

State-financed media organizations with editorial independence, like the BBC in the UK or NPR in the US for example, are not defined as state-affiliated media for the purposes of this policy.
:crossarms:

Also the Voice of America (come on Twitter it’s literally called Voice of America) and Radio Free accounts carry no such label.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Pulcinella posted:

This prompted me to look up why the China Daily Twitter account has that “China state-affiliated media” label on it but the BBC’s accounts do not.

Also the Voice of America (come on Twitter it’s literally called Voice of America) and Radio Free accounts carry no such label.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9tzoGFszog

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Why did they go with a reference to the Tang dynasty for their TV channel anyway.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Atrocious Joe posted:

Why did they go with a reference to the Tang dynasty for their TV channel anyway.

from their "about us" page

NTD dot com posted:

The name is inspired by the noble legacy of the Tang Dynasty (618-907 C.E.), which is considered the golden age of Chinese spirituality and civilization. It was a time of peace, freedom, and openness. Admired the world over, the Tang Dynasty was known for its high moral standards and unparalleled cultural achievements.

really leaning into the "5000 years of civilization reborn" bit, you see they're the cool cosmopolitan Chinese (cough expats) as opposed to the godless brainwashed pretenders who actually live in China

Protagorean has issued a correction as of 20:22 on Feb 28, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

we're gonna find out they just really love the Judge Dee stories

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
from their reporting you'd think it was all being scripted by Sax Rohmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Pulcinella posted:

lol that passage you quoted is just 100% ideology.txt