Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I figured Blink 182 was sort of a sideways reference to the 80's movie Turk 182, but after some Googling it turns out I entirely made that connection up in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Fors Yard posted:

1000 Maniacs conjures some sort of idea or image.

Yeah: not enough maniacs.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

central dogma posted:

^^Throwing a number in you band name was pretty 90s.
Blink182
Eve6
Finger Eleven
Ben folds five
Matchbox 20
10000 maniacs

Etc.

I thought Ben Folds Five was a throwback to the way bands/musicians used to include the number of members in their name, like the Dave Clark Five or the Dave Brubeck Quartet...with a bit of wink since there was only 3 people in Ben Folds Five.

e: though the general trend of "noun" + "random number" did seem to be a thing in band names in the 90s.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

That game was brutally hard with its puzzles.

That and the Douglas Adams games seemed like you were supposed to play with guide in hand and laugh at the wacky puzzle solutions rather than actually try to solve them yourself.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Porfiriato posted:

I thought Ben Folds Five was a throwback to the way bands/musicians used to include the number of members in their name, like the Dave Clark Five or the Dave Brubeck Quartet...with a bit of wink since there was only 3 people in Ben Folds Five.

e: though the general trend of "noun" + "random number" did seem to be a thing in band names in the 90s.

Yeah there are some questionable ones on that list, but it was definitely a thing. The numbers were varying degrees of arbitrary, but getting a number in your name was trendy regardless.

A few others:

Sum 41
SR-71
Apartment 26
98 Degrees
Powerman 5000

As usual, Christian music also hopped on the trend with names like Pax 217, Building 429, and Project 86, with the added benefit that they may or may not also be covert Bible verse references.

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 01:47 on Feb 25, 2021

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Maybe it was a regional thing or whatever, but I remember hearing that the 182 in Blink 182 was the number of times Al Pacino said gently caress in Scarface.

20 plus years later I guess I could look it up.
Apparently gently caress is used 207 times in Scarface, and the 182 was just made up. That was anticlimactic.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Moon Monster posted:

That and the Douglas Adams games seemed like you were supposed to play with guide in hand and laugh at the wacky puzzle solutions rather than actually try to solve them yourself.

I mean if you ever played a Roberta Williams King Quest or something you'll realize that the solutions to that era of "adventure" games has nothing to do with logic or "fun".

In jokes for the ones based on British joke books. Absolute bonkers nonsense for Sierra On-Line.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Sierra On-Line sold something like 2 or 3 times as many copies of the hintbook for Leisure Suit Larry 1 as they did copies of the game, and that really influenced the design of all their subsequent games.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Flight Bisque posted:

Maybe it was a regional thing or whatever, but I remember hearing that the 182 in Blink 182 was the number of times Al Pacino said gently caress in Scarface.

20 plus years later I guess I could look it up.
Apparently gently caress is used 207 times in Scarface, and the 182 was just made up. That was anticlimactic.

I renege a few of the urban legends about what the numbers meant, like 311 being popular with white supremacists because K was the 11th letter of the alphabet and they thought it was code.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I was really disappointed to learn that 311’s name didn’t come from it being 69 minutes to 4:20.

Throwing in 1000 Clowns as a number+noun ‘90s group.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I renege a few of the urban legends about what the numbers meant, like 311 being popular with white supremacists because K was the 11th letter of the alphabet and they thought it was code.

It really is the LA police code for public nudity. I had a list of them since there was a website that put up audio of large city's police scanners ca. 2000. Which is technically the nineties.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Jurassic 5.

Bran Van 3000.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The Moon Monster posted:

I'd love to give the games that level of credit, but 80s/90s adventure games were just Like That.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

TBF poo poo like 14 and 88 ARE Nazi signifiers for those or similarly stupid reasons. I always just assumed it was a joke on N11 codes in the US phone system.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I thought it was an area code like where they were from.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Moon Monster posted:

I think if you had memorized Hitchhikers you could finish the game as well.

I will never miss an oppertunity to post PushingUpRoses, her video about Moon Logic puzzles is really good and talks about how insane puzzles got in games at the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpiAFd9OkHY
and her video on more specific puzzles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RoZU8jIqUo

Sum 41 is named that because when they formed it was the sum of all their ages. The band Finger 11 was origonally called Rainbow Butt Monkeys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0lVjky2roU
because being named after a ding dong is less dirty.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

twistedmentat posted:

Sum 41 is named that because when they formed it was the sum of all their ages. The band Finger 11 was origonally called Rainbow Butt Monkeys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0lVjky2roU
because being named after a ding dong is less dirty.

not 90s at all, but now I’m reminded of the time Finger 11 became like dance rock stars with Paralyzer and how inescapable that song was for a while

let’s never do another 2000s

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Neito posted:

I'd love to give the games that level of credit, but 80s/90s adventure games were just Like That.

They felt more self-parodic than the typical adventure game to me, but I guess that could just be because they were adapting "wacky" IPs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e: oops

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ok Comboomer posted:

not 90s at all, but now I’m reminded of the time Finger 11 became like dance rock stars with Paralyzer and how inescapable that song was for a while

let’s never do another 2000s

Yea, I'm glad that we haven't gotten full on early 2000s nostalgia yet, but there's still a few years left before we reach the 30 year cycle. Though I don't think anyone wants to remember 9/11 and all the bullshit that caused. Its better to remember the end of history 90s where everything was fun and cool and the worst thing we had to worry about was Backstreet Boys vs NSync, Britney Vs Christina.

Please ignore that mainstream believes about the innate dangers of inner city black people and welfare queens dictated some really horrible policies.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I saw some teen the other day in full on Greenday American Idiot apparel does that count? I feel like there's a lot of nostalgia going for that sort of emo/punk stuff?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Images you can hear.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Judging by the vomitous shade of day-glo pink, the haircuts, and the glasses... I want to say.... 1997?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I'd guess a little earlier that still looks like the 80s hangover neon. By 1997 most family pictures had entered the Teal Age.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Nah, that looks earlier, like 92-93.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

I just discovered this song from 97 and it feels like the universe has been conspiring to hide it from me the entire time. Apparently it was a huge hit? Like it was used in Gap commercials and stuff but some how this is the first time I've ever heard this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LBnMRWeV-E

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Debunk This! posted:

I just discovered this song from 97 and it feels like the universe has been conspiring to hide it from me the entire time. Apparently it was a huge hit? Like it was used in Gap commercials and stuff but some how this is the first time I've ever heard this.

I will always associate this song with M2, and Mtv essentially giving up on playing music videos.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Debunk This! posted:

I don't know if it was a huge hit but I did remember seeing it on Much Music a lot. I prefer the non-remix over the remix.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
The Fatboy Slim remix went number 1 in the UK. Pretty sure that’s the definition of a hit song.

It wasn’t so big in Australia but it was played enough on Triple J to convince me to buy the single. If you could wear out CDs from overplaying I definitely would have. Absolute banger.

It’s played just about every day on MTV 90s, when they’re not playing another Madonna clip or that one by Take That featuring Lulu.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Creature posted:

The Fatboy Slim remix went number 1 in the UK. Pretty sure that’s the definition of a hit song.

It wasn’t so big in Australia but it was played enough on Triple J to convince me to buy the single. If you could wear out CDs from overplaying I definitely would have. Absolute banger.

It’s played just about every day on MTV 90s, when they’re not playing another Madonna clip or that one by Take That featuring Lulu.

Hit song in one country, minor hit in another.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ookiimarukochan posted:

Sierra On-Line sold something like 2 or 3 times as many copies of the hintbook for Leisure Suit Larry 1 as they did copies of the game, and that really influenced the design of all their subsequent games.

I think someone at work gave my dad a copy, and he turned around and gave it to, 10 year old me.

I managed to brute force my way through the entire game in only the way children can. I probably got Larry killed 5,000 times through trial and error.

Edit:
There was a new LSL game that came out last year :psyduck:

Iron Crowned has a new favorite as of 09:43 on Feb 28, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Debunk This! posted:

drat, I’d completely forgotten about that song, loved it back in the day.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Iron Crowned posted:

Edit:
There was a new LSL game that came out last year :psyduck:

Yea but it lacked anything sexual. You might as well buy Hunniepop 2.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

fartknocker posted:

Nah, that looks earlier, like 92-93.

As I had that exact outfit only in pine green in 3rd grade, I agree.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I have legit played that Cornershop song on the air when it was released, I wish I had my old aircheck tapes from then to amuse and horrify y'all.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I dunno if this is just a false memory or one of those things where something happens as a child being blown out of proportion, but does anyone remember a lot of news stories and weird pushback when McDonald's, et al started doing combo meals? Like, people were kinda indignant when they'd order like a big mac coke and fries and get told it was a number 1 or whatever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
not really, but it may have been before my time.

was it worse than the backlash they got when they started shifting to healthier happy meals?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't remember that but I have absolutely no trouble believing that it happened.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Not sure about people getting upset/indignant, but I am pretty sure I heard more than one bad take from a poo poo comedian or an uncle or two (the same sort of uncle who would tell racist joke once Obama was elected...assuming he wasn't telling them before,) along the lines of:

"Those teenagers at the McDonald's are getting dumber every year...now they only know how press a button for your order! They don't know how to type in prices or items or what they are, just have to hit 1, 2, 3, or 4! "

Har-de-loving-har.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not sure about people getting upset/indignant, but I am pretty sure I heard more than one bad take from a poo poo comedian or an uncle or two (the same sort of uncle who would tell racist joke once Obama was elected...assuming he wasn't telling them before,) along the lines of:

"Those teenagers at the McDonald's are getting dumber every year...now they only know how press a button for your order! They don't know how to type in prices or items or what they are, just have to hit 1, 2, 3, or 4! "

Har-de-loving-har.

yet they’d be the first people to whine that their order was half a second later than they wanted