Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
One of the more interesting posts on reddit compared the market cap of some poo poo coins to real assets just to give perspective on how overpriced they are. Several alts for instance habe a market cap of a couple billion, more than your average professional sports franchise, despite your having never heard of them and them solving literally no problems. Btc itself is "worth" more than every franchise in the NFL combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Mr_Companie posted:

To be fair this forum has never been about creating value. Who wants Awful Coins

the value is inversely proportional to the quality of my posts

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure American sports franchises are the best comparison, to be honest.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Relatively small in the world of billions of stolen dollars that is Bitcoin but Cardano is supposedly having some light theft today. The official wallet for it is Daedalus.io which is only on desktop but the "Daedalus Wallet" on the google play store with great ratings isn't actually an official app.

Since the price hit an all time high people are moving coins around and a couple supposedly lost $30,000 - $50,000 today using that app.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Tether hasn't printed since the NYAG settlement was announced. It remains to be seen whether this is a temporary pause or whether the terms of the settlement effectively prevent them from being able to print any more. If the latter, this will be a very interesting time for BTC...

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Whelp, tried to transfer from Binance to another exchange and apparently it costs over $20 US dollars to send BTC.

Any suggestions? Other than just not using crypto.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

Whelp, tried to transfer from Binance to another exchange and apparently it costs over $20 US dollars to send BTC.

Your other option is to convert to another currency (cash?) and move it that way.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

Scam Currency of the future!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Bright Bart posted:

Why, did something bad happen when you tried that?

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Bright Bart posted:

Sell it and buy litecoin, transaction fees like $0.02 and pretty common across exchanges

And yeah BTC/ETH fees are ridiculous lol $20 each

EDIT this is you

salt shakeup fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 28, 2021

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

My local convenience store has a new banner that says "WE BUY AND SELL BITCOIN". It broke my brain a little. They have a kiosk in there to generate and fund a wallet. Can't wait until there's a second sign that says "BUY GAMESTOP SHARES HERE".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Andy Dufresne posted:

One of the more interesting posts on reddit compared the market cap of some poo poo coins to real assets just to give perspective on how overpriced they are. Several alts for instance habe a market cap of a couple billion, more than your average professional sports franchise, despite your having never heard of them and them solving literally no problems. Btc itself is "worth" more than every franchise in the NFL combined.
If someone started unloading a lot of butts, that price would go down faster than Bruce in a -- You know what, I'm gonna start this analogy over from the top.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Fame Douglas posted:

Not sure American sports franchises are the best comparison, to be honest.

i dunno, they're intellectual properties with very little in the way of property plant and equipment, and only of immense value because they were first movers and are the only ones the average person is aware of

sounds like a great comparison, at least along those lines

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Football teams are valuable because millions of people want to watch them. Just like how Bitcoin is valuable because millions of people want to own them. Hope that helps :cheers:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

salt shakeup posted:

Football teams are valuable because millions of people want to watch them. Just like how Bitcoin is valuable because millions of people want to own them. Hope that helps :cheers:

So not comparable at all?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

My local convenience store has a new banner that says "WE BUY AND SELL BITCOIN". It broke my brain a little. They have a kiosk in there to generate and fund a wallet. Can't wait until there's a second sign that says "BUY GAMESTOP SHARES HERE".

The one attached to my building did too. They set up all sorts of flashy little signs and such. But as far as I know there's no special kiosk or anything, I have no idea how it works. Do they keep the bitcoins behind the counter with the cigarettes?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Lost wallet passwords sound like a great thing for convenience store clerks to have to deal with.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

salt shakeup posted:

Bitcoin is an massive international enterprise that facilitates drug trade and money laundering on the order of several hundred billion USD per year. Why would you compare it some loving sports league? Millions of people rely on bitcoin every day for the safe and efficient trade of literally metric tons of cocaine, amphetamines and heroin. It's a huge business.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

I thought nobody used bitcoin for drugs in 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Andy Dufresne posted:

I thought nobody used bitcoin for drugs in 2021

Minor edit there.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah 2021 is the year drug dealers and drug users decided to stop buying drugs off the internet with the cryptocurrency whose only claim to fame is people pretending it’s untraceable

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Seriously though I thought all the darknet stuff moved to other crap like monero because even as a black market currency bitcoin absolutely sucks.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Andy Dufresne posted:

Seriously though I thought all the darknet stuff moved to other crap like monero because even as a black market currency bitcoin absolutely sucks.

You'd be wrong, because butters are idiots.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Andy Dufresne posted:

Yeah, apparently the darknets are all monero now. But that doesn't matter too much, since it's virtually impossible to exchange monero for USD. So everyone just buys bitcoin, exchanges it for monero, then pays monero to their dealers (who then change it back to bitcoin so they can get actual money).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, apparently the darknets are all monero now. But that doesn't matter too much, since it's virtually impossible to exchange monero for USD. So everyone just buys bitcoin, exchanges it for monero, then pays monero to their dealers (who then change it back to bitcoin so they can get actual money).

And every intel agency in the world has a bounty out for cracking the anonymity of monero etc because the same poo poo that makes it attractive for buying russian research chemicals makes it attractive for bad people to do bad things with.

Will they ever pull it off? Who knows or cares, because quantum computing is the end run around the whole thing, and once this actually become something that more than Google or IBM have cryptography as everyone knows it will be turned on its head.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 1, 2021

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

orange juche posted:

And every intel agency in the world has a bounty out for cracking the anonymity of monero etc because the same poo poo that makes it attractive for buying russian research chemicals makes it attractive for bad people to do bad things with.

Will they ever pull it off? Who knows or cares, because quantum computing is the end run around the whole thing, and once this actually become something that more than Google or IBM have cryptography as everyone knows it will be turned on its head.

I mean, they could crack monero, or they could just peek in to the exchanges that swap monero<->bitcoin, see who is doing the exchanging, then target them for investigation.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, they could crack monero, or they could just peek in to the exchanges that swap monero<->bitcoin, see who is doing the exchanging, then target them for investigation.

This is good for Bitcoin

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
bitter nocoin taste, with a hint of ethereum envy. buy my custom "u jelly?" bitcoin coffee that you can sip or spit depending on number go up or down. may contain traces of child slavery.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Big Mackson posted:

bitter nocoin taste, with a hint of ethereum envy. buy my custom "u jelly?" bitcoin coffee that you can sip or spit depending on number go up or down. may contain traces of child slavery.

Listen buddy, there is no moral consumption under capitalism *opens beer bottle with a child skull*

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

LanceHunter posted:

It's not a crime just to own Monero

Also, https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerhuang/2020/12/21/heres-why-quantum-computing-will-not-break-cryptocurrencies/

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This thread is so much better when seraph, hbag, ham and ghostty aren't flooding it with stupidity.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It's not a crime to carry around a lock-picking kit, either. But if a cop sees you with one they are gonna take a very long, hard look at you to see if there are any actually-illegal things they can bust you for.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

I suspect that using things like Monero or Tor will get at least a cursory glance from some 3 letter agencies in the US and maybe a few abroad. The line of reasoning would go something like "we have evidence of CP transactions/money laundering/evading sanctions using these tools" -> "we can't identify the parties to those transactions" -> "we need to monitor the network and investigate the users to find the bad ones". Given the disclosures from Snowden it's not even a stretch to suggest that the CIA is monitoring all traffic on those networks, it should be an expectation.

That's not to say that anyone actually cares about people buying weed, but I also wouldn't expect those tools to provide any amount of privacy on a home Internet connection.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I tried TOR once. Wasn't really sure what to do with it so just used it as a browser. It was incredibly slow. I guess if you are going to break laws, you can put up with dial-up speeds. But as a curiosity it is a complete waste of time.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Andy Dufresne posted:

I suspect that using things like Monero or Tor will get at least a cursory glance from some 3 letter agencies in the US and maybe a few abroad. The line of reasoning would go something like "we have evidence of CP transactions/money laundering/evading sanctions using these tools" -> "we can't identify the parties to those transactions" -> "we need to monitor the network and investigate the users to find the bad ones". Given the disclosures from Snowden it's not even a stretch to suggest that the CIA is monitoring all traffic on those networks, it should be an expectation.

That's not to say that anyone actually cares about people buying weed, but I also wouldn't expect those tools to provide any amount of privacy on a home Internet connection.

Those 3 letter agencies probably took a look when they... Invented, funded and maintained Tor.

https://surveillancevalley.com/blog/internet-privacy-funded-by-spies-cia

xtal fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 1, 2021

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Yeah, it seems like an obvious honeypot. Aside from who made it just think about who has the motivation to set up exit nodes. Governments are way more interested and way better funded than the general public.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

AFAIK tor hidden services don't use exit nodes, so they are not really susceptible to traffic correlation attacks. If the alphabet soups have a way to attack them, we don't know it yet. They weren't capable of it as of the Snowden leaks(which was 2013 IRC?)

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Of course agencies want to have all the cryptocurrency data but it's not necessary for them to take down markets and dealers.

On the other hand I am not sure buyers have all that much to worry about. Which is odd as it might make some strategic sense to charge a few just to scare others even if it would be thrown out of court for being arbitrarily targeting one out of tens of thousands of clients.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
How do coins actually start? Because it seems like if you can just invent any old alt coin now it will eventually be worth a few cents or even dollars which is worth more than the zero you start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

jeeves posted:

How do coins actually start? Because it seems like if you can just invent any old alt coin now it will eventually be worth a few cents or even dollars which is worth more than the zero you start with.

You bundle together some (mostly pre-written) code, then you try like hell to get somebody to start accepting exchanges of your coin.