Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Thanks, folks!

Looking at PCParts picker doesn't seem to lead me anywhere useful, but newegg has:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4 65W 100-100000065BOX Desktop Processor - 384.99
  • Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BL2K8G36C16U4B (BLACK) - 86.99
  • ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard - 114.99
It's closer to $600 than $500, but I think I can stomach this if these are a good path. Does that look ok? What's the go-to CPU cooler? I know the 212 Evo was The poo poo when I originally built this thing (and ironically, I have another one ... woops), but assume it's not going to transfer over :D

If you’re low on budget and don’t care about noise too much, the 5600x stock cooler is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I care much more about noise. :v:

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Krakkles posted:

Thanks, folks!

Looking at PCParts picker doesn't seem to lead me anywhere useful, but newegg has:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4 65W 100-100000065BOX Desktop Processor - 384.99
  • Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BL2K8G36C16U4B (BLACK) - 86.99
  • ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard - 114.99
It's closer to $600 than $500, but I think I can stomach this if these are a good path. Does that look ok? What's the go-to CPU cooler? I know the 212 Evo was The poo poo when I originally built this thing (and ironically, I have another one ... woops), but assume it's not going to transfer over :D

If you happen to be near a Microcenter, you can certanly get that processor there at $300 and if you bundle with a mobo, you get $20 off. A longshot though. The 5600x comes into stock online at $300 rather frequently if not. You just have to watch the stock discords nowadays.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015
Keep an eye on r/buildapcsales for restocks of the 5600X at its $300 msrp. That's how I bagged mine.

Edit: Hyper 212 Evo is still good but I know people are really hyped on the ID Cooling SE-224-XT these days. The Arctic Freezer P34 is also a beloved one

feedback loop fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 28, 2021

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Afterburner as stated below.

Also keep in mind, ramping fans means the GPU is working harder.

Basically, your GPU works harder than it did when you got it. Which is expected, as each year the things you use it for demand more performance. So the fans will have to run louder and harder each year.

What you’re trying to rule out here is if there is a problem with the fan or other cooling parts of the GPU. If there’s no problem, and you buy the same class of GPU, the fans will ramp to a similar speed/noise.

Cheers. The fans are ramping up even when the GPU isn't being used much, like just web browsing.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
A little while back I recall some discussion on what prebuilt sites offered something worthwhile. I have a friend who's looking to actually get a desktop for some gaming for the first time in quite a while, with a budget in the $1000-$1500 USD range. Are there any particularly standout sites for prebuilt systems? I don't think he's comfortable doing the build himself and finding parts right now seems to be something of a disaster anyways. I would appreciate any suggestions you guys have.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'm replacing my motherboard with one the exact same model in my new build, from googling it looks like Windows 10 should automatically detect that hardware change but if it doesn't, does anyone know if Lodge North's keys count as OEM or retail? Apparently retail keys can be transferred over after hardware changes no problem but OEM ones are tied to the original hardware.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm replacing my motherboard with one the exact same model in my new build, from googling it looks like Windows 10 should automatically detect that hardware change but if it doesn't, does anyone know if Lodge North's keys count as OEM or retail? Apparently retail keys can be transferred over after hardware changes no problem but OEM ones are tied to the original hardware.

You can check what kind of key you have using the command line:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-determine-if-license-oem-retail-volume-windows-10?amp

I'm pretty sure people have changed their entire PC before and had the OEM key transfer no problem so I wouldn't worry about needing a new key unless and until Windows actually objects. At that point head over to SA Mart for a cheap key.

GreatPhoenix
Nov 9, 2004

Woah, you just wrinkled my brain!
So what's the consensus on building your own vs just buying prebuilt amid the GPU situation? I'm weighing my options here, and prebuilt is looking nice right now.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

GreatPhoenix posted:

So what's the consensus on building your own vs just buying prebuilt amid the GPU situation? I'm weighing my options here, and prebuilt is looking nice right now.
If the prebuilt has the GPU that you want, isn’t a complete rip-off (bearing in mind that the prebuilt premium is less than the combined scalper cost of a GPU and retail cost of all other components) and you don’t want to wait until you win the stock drop lottery, buy it if the other components are good. There is no end in sight to the retail GPU shortage.

The stock drop lottery can be won but it’s a lot more tolerable if you’re looking for an upgrade to a functional PC instead of completing a build. The rest of the parts could be waiting in boxes for months.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Tons of RGB and a teeny little disco ball on the inside.

gently caress, now I know what I’m doing the next time I feel like cracking my case open.

At least having a disco ball inside the case sounds fairly original.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GreatPhoenix posted:

If you can get a prebuilt that uses all regular parts instead of OEM stuff, that would be an absolute no-brainer to me.

IIRC, places like IBuyPower and cyber power are all stock parts. Dell and HP have OEM motherboards and GPUs.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

If you can get a prebuilt that uses all regular parts instead of OEM stuff, that would be an absolute no-brainer to me.

IIRC, places like IBuyPower and cyber power are all stock parts. Dell and HP have OEM motherboards and GPUs.
I'd go with iBuyPower or Cyberpower as you have better customization.

I was going to buy a Dell Aurora R11, but this reviewer stated the 140mm liquid cooling wasn't enough to keep the system stable at overclocked settings, at least for the high-end Aurora with an intel CPU and an RTX 3090. And due to the case design you would not easily be able to install a 280mm solution yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgd5s6GWMnQ&t=228s

At least with iBuyPower and Cyberpower you would not have any cooling limitations in your custom configuration.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GreatPhoenix posted:

Prebuilds used to be a point of ridicule, but only to ultra dorks like us that buy parts individually. Nowadays, the ones I see seem totally decent, if not slightly overpriced for the convenience of not having to source and assemble the parts yourself. As long as you have a general idea of the value of the parts, they seem like a fine choice. The few I've looked at don't seem to try and trick you with cost-cutting parts (e.g. sneaking in slow old RAM or something.) I've even seen full blown water cooled prebuilds at Best Buy of all places. The worst thing I've seen lately is simply the branding; iBuyPower tends to go a little overboard.

enojy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 28, 2021

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Prebuilds are going more and more for water cooling because it's much easier to ship everything built without a gigantic air cooler ripping the motherboard apart.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

GreatPhoenix posted:

If you find a prebuilt post it here.

Well poo poo on it or recommend it, as is tradition.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

feedback loop posted:

Keep an eye on r/buildapcsales for restocks of the 5600X at its $300 msrp. That's how I bagged mine.

I don't know exactly how gameable this is, but I bought my 5600x from Best Buy during my birthday month for 269.10. I had a bestbuy account previously for buying something, so I don't know if it works for brand new accounts but it was a nice percent chunk off the top.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Systems/CORSAIR-VENGEANCE-i7200-Series-Gaming-PC/p/CS-9050011-NA#tab-overview

Warranty Two years
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
DRAM 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200
Liquid Cooling Liquid CPU, Air GPU
Storage 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD

$2,099.99USD

If anyone out there is looking to avoid the headachs of Alienware custom hard to upgrade poo poo.

240 rad and ton of RGB

Im such a fanboy :allears:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

spunkshui posted:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Systems/CORSAIR-VENGEANCE-i7200-Series-Gaming-PC/p/CS-9050011-NA#tab-overview

Warranty Two years
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Storage 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD

$2,099.99USD

If anyone out there is looking to avoid the headachs of Alienware custom hard to upgrade poo poo.

240 rad and ton of RGB

I'm tempted to jump on this since it's along the lines of what I'm looking for and if I have to spend a bit more for a good video card I'd rather it not go to scalpers. Any red flags with this set-up? I don't mind changing out a subpar part or two if needed.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

spunkshui posted:

Warranty Two years
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Storage 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD

$2,099.99USD

240 rad and ton of RGB

It's also like, $500+ over "retail" building it yourself. (obviously, gotta find the parts, mainly that 3070)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It's also like, $500+ over "retail" building it yourself. (obviously, gotta find the parts, mainly that 3070)

I mean, that’s the thing that’s making prebuilts a more attractive proposition now, since building it yourself could easily be 500+ over retail too.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Mega64 posted:

I'm tempted to jump on this since it's along the lines of what I'm looking for and if I have to spend a bit more for a good video card I'd rather it not go to scalpers. Any red flags with this set-up? I don't mind changing out a subpar part or two if needed.

The only red flag is under normal times you could absolutely save 500 and make that exact thing yourself.

The fans are their cheeper rgb ones that have less lights then the LL120s or QL120s. Also a AIOs aren’t always the most quiet CPU coolers.

People seem to forget that two fans plus a pump is more noise than two fans.

If your computer is on the floor it doesn’t matter but if it’s right next to your head an AIO can actually be annoying if you’re doing office work.

Id never do it because I love the process of building adult legos too much.

Also Id have to swap out all the fans for noctuas.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Lmao.

How the gently caress did you manage to make this build even worse?

You went from 3200 CL14 to 3600 CL18.

You have a 400 god drat dollar power supply.

A $350 AIO.

An $800 4TB SSD (why exactly?)

You could spend $2000 less and get exactly 5% less performance.

If your intent is to set money on fire your build should be

- 5950x (or 5900x, whichever you can get)
- 3090 (3080Ti is indefinitely canceled as of now and you shouldn’t expect it for about a year) EVGA FTW3 or Asus Strix
- 3600Mhz CL16 or CL14 ram
- 2TB NVME that’s not a samsung cause that’s a waste.
- 1000w Gold+ PSU that’s about $250.
- pay someone to build you a custom loop water cooling system.
- take above persons recommendation on motherboard and case so they have the headers they need.

Your build is loving stupid for a lot of reasons. Mostly because you’re actually intent on spending thousands of dollars just to swing your dick around at 5% gains. You will not future proof your machine by doing this.

He’s a quick example. The 2080Ti came out in fall 2018. The cheapest version MSRP’d at $1199.

Last year, nvidia launched the 3080 at $699 with nearly equal speed. That’s 2 years and a nearly 50% cost drop.

For comparison, the current big dick card, the 3090, only performs at about a 20% increase over the 3080 for actually double the price.

In 2022, a new card will come out that’ll make the 3090 look like poo poo. That’s how this works.

Spend 2-3k now, and build a new machine every 2-3 years. That’s the only way to future proof. Limit your costs now to get near max performance so you can do it every few years.

Lmao.

You must be a troll.

But in case you’re not, your grasp of computer hardware is so limited, and your budget is so high, that you shouldn’t be building one yourself. Your failure to understand that your 1440p 100hz monitor means you won’t get any extra performance out of a build better than about $1000 proves it. So does the fact that you don’t know that temps will literally always be a problem for a 3090/5900x build.

You’ve indicated your hobby is gaming. Not building computers. For 90% of us frequent posters, the build itself is the hobby, and the gaming aspect (or whatever else) is secondary. Which is why we hang out here and help people instead of “spending money on sailing and mountain climbing.” We get it, your hobby budget is more than most of our yearly salaries. loving get over yourself.

Pay someone who actually knows what they are doing to build you a custom, functional system for your needs, with your tastes, and in your budget. They can also source you a monitor.

This way the thread can get back to helping people who need help, instead of laughing at someone who need to tell a group of 50 internet strangers they have a lot of money.

Please take it down a notch.

You don't have to respond to every request for advice in the thread. If you don't want to engage with someone asking for help because you think they're trolling, then just let it be. They were perfectly nice in their request for help and "has a lot of money to blow" and "doesn't know the everything there is to know about building computers" aren't exactly impossibilities.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

I mean, that’s the thing that’s making prebuilts a more attractive proposition now, since building it yourself could easily be 500+ over retail too.

Building it yourself wouldn't be $500+ over retail if you just waited for retail. I know there seems to be a ton of people that still haven't gotten their GPU's after like months of looking, and I have no idea if I'm lucky, but my group of friends ALL got 3070's and 3080's (5 of us) in late November, and I snagged a 5600x and a 3070 for a friend last month after searching for ~2 weeks.

I know it's a really dumb process waiting for them to come into stock and beating out bots and stuff but it's definitely feasible. Or maybe I'm just super lucky? I was pretty diligent in the process though.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

November has no bearing on now but I'm pretty sure the 3070 is obtainable, I guess, sort of. The 5600x and 5800x are definitely obtainable.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Building it yourself wouldn't be $500+ over retail if you just waited for retail. I know there seems to be a ton of people that still haven't gotten their GPU's after like months of looking, and I have no idea if I'm lucky, but my group of friends ALL got 3070's and 3080's (5 of us) in late November, and I snagged a 5600x and a 3070 for a friend last month after searching for ~2 weeks.

I know it's a really dumb process waiting for them to come into stock and beating out bots and stuff but it's definitely feasible. Or maybe I'm just super lucky? I was pretty diligent in the process though.

Its worse GPU shopping now vs then, prices are all significantly higher.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

I find the fact they posted not even half an hour after I discussed the PC builder with more money than sense quite serendipitous.

Me? :)

Your post was super helpful. I shaved down in the areas you suggested and am quite pleased with my estimated price right now given the current supply conditions. Currently waiting for March 1st to see if there are any new deals before pulling the trigger.

This guy though, yeah, doesn't seem to be getting the point. I think even I pointed out that I had a Reverb G2 headset I wanted to power with my rig.

Speaking of, what's the minimum monitor you'd suggest for a 5900+3080? I've got the VR and then a 1440p ultrawide gsync. Is that sufficient?

GreatPhoenix
Nov 9, 2004

Woah, you just wrinkled my brain!

If you find a prebuilt post it here.

Well poo poo on it or recommend it, as is tradition.

Sounds good to me. I was thinking of getting this one.
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer-Infinity-8800-Pro

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

GreatPhoenix posted:

The Corsair posted above is a better deal.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

GreatPhoenix posted:

*System pictures shown with optional accessories

Its not coming with this glowing fans, if you care.

also: Est. ship date Thursday, 4/15/2021

The corsair PC says "Please allow 1 week for delivery of this item" I tried to see if it would give me a shipping date but I didn't want to hit "complete order."

If anyone gets one let the thread know if that "1 week" stuff looks real.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Ajaxify posted:

Speaking of, what's the minimum monitor you'd suggest for a 5900+3080? I've got the VR and then a 1440p ultrawide gsync. Is that sufficient?

Yeah high refresh rate 1440p monitors are the sweet spot at the moment and the 3080 will drive it exceptionally well for a long time, its a good match.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Where's a good place to order parts from these days? I don't have a Microcenter remotely near me, the nearest one is a three hour drive so welp :banjo: Are Amazon and Newegg still fine, or can we do better?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

The components are probably good or good enough, the extra expense is unfortunate but acceptable in these days. The worst thing about this I'd say is the 2 year warranty. If you built yourself you could mostly get components with 2, 5 or even 10 year warranties. RMA process is a question. With self built it would be good if you manage to diagnose the problem and RMA the correct component, not sure if you would have to return the whole computer with the Corsair.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I found and EVGA 3080 for $1100 on FB. Guy is selling it via app pay(cash app, venmo, PayPal maybe too) which I have very mixed feelings about, but this reminded me, what even IS the MSRP for these things right now? The scalper price has effectively erased any knowledge on what would be the regular price on these.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

doomrider7 posted:

I found and EVGA 3080 for $1100 on FB. Guy is selling it via app pay(cash app, venmo, PayPal maybe too) which I have very mixed feelings about, but this reminded me, what even IS the MSRP for these things right now? The scalper price has effectively erased any knowledge on what would be the regular price on these.

like 800-1000 depending on the card.

Is he claiming its new in box? seems too low if he is.

Scalped 3080s are pushing 2000 if new in box.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

Capn Beeb posted:

Where's a good place to order parts from these days? I don't have a Microcenter remotely near me, the nearest one is a three hour drive so welp :banjo: Are Amazon and Newegg still fine, or can we do better?

I just buy my stuff from wherever has the best bundles on the item I'm looking for or has the lowest listed price on pcpartpicker. Newegg and Amazon are still just fine, but B&H Photo and Video, Staples, and Walmart are among the retailers that have been some of the best options recently in my experience.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

spunkshui posted:

like 800-1000 depending on the card.

Is he claiming its new in box? seems too low if he is.

Scalped 3080s are pushing 2000 if new in box.

Looks like it was sold and the remaining listing was for the 3060. I did find another guy selling an ASUS 3090 for $2100 which is...not horrid and seems open to negotiations. It's still a fuckload of money, but still for an ASUS STRIX 3090...Hmmm...

This again begs the question of what the regular MSRP for these was since ShopBLT where I got most of this info doesn't even list them anymore so I have nothing to go by.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

doomrider7 posted:

Looks like it was sold and the remaining listing was for the 3060. I did find another guy selling an ASUS 3090 for $2100 which is...not horrid and seems open to negotiations. It's still a fuckload of money, but still for an ASUS STRIX 3090...Hmmm...

This again begs the question of what the regular MSRP for these was since ShopBLT where I got most of this info doesn't even list them anymore so I have nothing to go by.

3090 strix is a retail $2000 card and strix cards go for more then the other cards when scalped.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-geforce-rtx-3090-24gb-gddr6x-pci-express-4-0-strix-graphics-card-black/6432447.p?skuId=6432447

Im sus, if I was scamming Id claim to have a strix.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

spunkshui posted:

3090 strix is a retail $2000 card and strix cards go for more then the other cards when scalped.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-geforce-rtx-3090-24gb-gddr6x-pci-express-4-0-strix-graphics-card-black/6432447.p?skuId=6432447

Im sus, if I was scamming Id claim to have a strix.

Definetly feel that. There are some protections in place though like the buyer protection that FB seems to offer and he also seems to do PayPal which also has strict buyer protections in place. The PayPal aspects are nice since I'd prefer to buy via credit card since it allows me time to actually get some finances in order. A 3080 would be preferable due to it's lower cost, but the scalp market on those is just hosed up right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

doomrider7 posted:

Definetly feel that. There are some protections in place though like the buyer protection that FB seems to offer and he also seems to do PayPal which also has strict buyer protections in place. The PayPal aspects are nice since I'd prefer to buy via credit card since it allows me time to actually get some finances in order. A 3080 would be preferable due to it's lower cost, but the scalp market on those is just hosed up right now.

If you need to shuffle finances my advice is to not do it. Find games that run well on your current gpu and just play those.

A vaccinated America is probably going to change spending patterns, and it might even effect crypto.

If the 3080 retail $800-900 is the price you are comfortable with then dont pay more then 2x more.