Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Italians looks Italians

“Roman” is a bit broad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Epicurius posted:

This just in: Ancient Roman looks Italian.

I joke, but this has actually been a real thing. There's been a certain contingent of people out there, especially in the past, who are big admirers of ancient Greece or ancient Rome, or ancient Egypt, who go out of their way to deny that they had any sort of relationship with their modern counterparts, or even that the moderns are descendants of the ancient.

Jesus was 6' tall, had blue eyes and light brown hair, and spoke English.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Epicurius posted:

This just in: Ancient Roman looks Italian.

I joke, but this has actually been a real thing. There's been a certain contingent of people out there, especially in the past, who are big admirers of ancient Greece or ancient Rome, or ancient Egypt, who go out of their way to deny that they had any sort of relationship with their modern counterparts, or even that the moderns are descendants of the ancient.

Oh yeah. Some interesting discussion of this phenomenon with regard to Greece in this article by Mary Beard: https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v27/n16/mary-beard/don-t-forget-your-pith-helmet

Mary Beard posted:

The level to which this controversy has occasionally descended can be seen from a marginal comment scrawled by a racist reader in a copy of the first (1966) edition of Patrick Leigh Fermor’s Roumeli: Travels in Northern Greece held by the Cambridge University Library. Where Leigh Fermor refers to the modern Greek language as being the ‘undisputed heir of ancient Greek’, the anonymous scribbler has added: ‘Nonsense. It is the barbarous pidgin of the Albano-Slavs who defile the land of their occupation with the deformity of their “dago” bodies and the squalor of their politics.’

See also this blog post: https://talesoftimesforgotten.com/2020/02/08/are-modern-greeks-descended-from-the-ancient-greeks/

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 25, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
if you qualify the legacy of the ancient greeks to their habit of loving children then yes the two cultures who have inherited that legacy are the aristocratic class of england and the hill tribes of afghanistan

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.dissentmagazine.org/online_articles/future-monetary-theory?fbclid=IwAR3_FOBSoFxoMQbuUWte2KqAtCgjDNLV2mZSmWBeywcz9V5twWWiMZVm8BE

Interesting article on the historical illiteracy of modern economics. (As it refers to ancient history.)

At first you think it's going to be an article boosting MMT but it's really just pointing out that no branch of orthodox economics makes a serious attempt to engage with modern knowledge about early economies.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

https://www.dissentmagazine.org/online_articles/future-monetary-theory?fbclid=IwAR3_FOBSoFxoMQbuUWte2KqAtCgjDNLV2mZSmWBeywcz9V5twWWiMZVm8BE

Interesting article on the historical illiteracy of modern economics. (As it refers to ancient history.)

At first you think it's going to be an article boosting MMT but it's really just pointing out that no branch of orthodox economics makes a serious attempt to engage with modern knowledge about early economies.

Interesting stuff, I've been reading a lot more about economics and it's history and it's sort of amazing how much even supposed academic sources get wrong on a basic level.

As for MMT, I've never heard the actual term before but was familiar with the concept, in all honesty there's nothing surprising to me that they use bad history to support their claims, the whole thing seems to be theory tying itself into knots to justify their obviously false claims.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Silver2195 posted:

Oh yeah. Some interesting discussion of this phenomenon with regard to Greece in this article by Mary Beard: https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v27/n16/mary-beard/don-t-forget-your-pith-helmet

See also this blog post: https://talesoftimesforgotten.com/2020/02/08/are-modern-greeks-descended-from-the-ancient-greeks/

"It is easy to forget that the Greeks are not, and could not possibly be, on any objective calibration, more hospitable than any other people in the world."

Mary Beard: the Greeks are no more hospitable than the inhabitants of Sentinel Island.

The blog post I mostly agree with but the author seems to be reaching when the claim "There has even been a continuous national identity of some kind that has existed for Greek people since antiquity." and suggest this took the form of "(Rhōmaîoi), or “Romans"" for the Byzantines. Surely this included decidedly non-Greek peoples who spoke Greek.

Weka fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 27, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Economics hasn't been a science for over a century.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

As for MMT, I've never heard the actual term before but was familiar with the concept, in all honesty there's nothing surprising to me that they use bad history to support their claims, the whole thing seems to be theory tying itself into knots to justify their obviously false claims.

That seems like an odd thing to say about an article that says "their claims are correct, even though their conclusions are off."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fuschia tude posted:

That seems like an odd thing to say about an article that says "their claims are correct, even though their conclusions are off."

Surprisingly I can agree that they're using bad history while also disagreeing with the core conceit of the article.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

mmt reflects an underlying truth about money, which is very simple: it isn't wealth. the wealth of a nation can be commanded by the state well, or poorly. directly through centralization, or indirectly through monetary policy, money is an instrument of the state that can accomplish anything the state wishes, within the restrictions presented by the available real wealth of goods and labor. this is something that you pick up on if you learn enough history across different times and places, especially looking at the same places during the various stages of monetization, but it can be hard to articulate.

their specific conclusions can be argued about endlessly but it cuts to the heart of something that modern mainstream economic thinking barely even seems to recognize, that is, that the economy is subordinate to society rather than the other way around.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 27, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd agree that economics is a social science, but I don't think anything it says in regards to how to utilize this fact are particularly useful. States may be overwhelmingly more powerful than the average person, but it pales to the power of the billions of irrational actors all making horrible decisions every day.

Is there a sort of easy overview of mmt out there. It seems interesting but I find it difficult to believe it's particularly useful

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Economics is the least social of the social sciences, because it has access to all these relatively easy to quantify things that it can pull a bunch of numbers out of to run through charts and graphs and statistical analysis. This often leads to overlooking more qualitative analyses like you'd get in the other social sciences. Less charitably, a lot of economists are weird and antisocial and don't really understand people on a fundamental level.

From the perspective of the "harder" sciences that use lots more math, like physics, Economics is sort of built on a foundation of sand. There aren't the same kind of easily provable, constantly reproducible rules. Despite their pretenses towards objectivity, economists can also be prone to getting caught up in subjective notions that they will end up interpreting the data to support. I think the less math-focused European branches are especially prone to that, but there are plenty of mathematical models based off of bad, misinterpreted, or purely theoretical data that get trundled around just to prove a point.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

economics is one of the humanities

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Economics is occultism.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I was listening to the latest In our Time and it was about Marcus Auerlius.They were going through some of his letters and I couldn't shake the feeling that his stoicism made him either incredibly passive or capable of doing awful poo poo. Also he came across as super awkward in general but I guess we will never know.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Economics is extremely well funded pseudo science. Music and poetry are both harder and truer sciences than economics. There isn't a single axiom of economics that isn't entirely hokum and bullshit from top to toe.

Most of what economists say is mostly true though.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

I was listening to the latest In our Time and it was about Marcus Aurelius. They were going through some of his letters and I couldn't shake the feeling that his stoicism made him either incredibly passive or capable of doing awful poo poo. Also he came across as super awkward in general but I guess we will never know.

The question of Stoicism being passive has come up several times in classical social justice circles in the past year. In general, that depiction is a reflection of public consciousness and not of the actions that Stoic emperors took.

From Donald Robertson, who has done some research on this subject:

quote:

The rights of slaves were generally improved throughout Marcus’ reign. Indeed, it was Antoninus Pius, with Marcus serving as his right-hand man, who first decreed that owners should stand trial for the murder of slaves, granting them protection under the law in that regard for the first time.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Gaius Marius posted:

I'd agree that economics is a social science, but I don't think anything it says in regards to how to utilize this fact are particularly useful. States may be overwhelmingly more powerful than the average person, but it pales to the power of the billions of irrational actors all making horrible decisions every day.

Is there a sort of easy overview of mmt out there. It seems interesting but I find it difficult to believe it's particularly useful

There isn't a easy overview because it's all inside baseball, but this might help.

MMT are basically cranck keynesians, which in itself is a non dominant tradition of economics, but the main takeaway is that they are only mildly wrong since 2008, while orthodox economics, especially macro, have been staggeringly wrong.

Also I'm gonna put the most fun and usefull paper on macroeconomics here. Paul Romer is a big deal in economics and more people should listen to him.

Then for further fun just Google "austerity spreadsheet error" and live in perpetual rage.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pompeii: Archaeologists unveil ceremonial chariot discovery

quote:

Archaeologists in Italy have unveiled a ceremonial chariot they discovered near the ancient Roman city of Pompeii.

The four-wheeled carriage was found near a stable where three horses were uncovered back in 2018.

Experts believe it was likely used in festivities and parades, with the find described as "exceptional" and "in an excellent state of preservation".

Pompeii, engulfed by a volcanic eruption from Mount Vesuvius in AD79, is an archaeological treasure trove.

The volcanic eruption buried the city in a thick layer of ash, preserving many of its residents and buildings.

The chariot was found in a double-level portico connected to stables at an ancient villa at Civita Giuliana, north of the walls of the ancient city.

A statement by the park described the ceremonial chariot as having "iron components, beautiful bronze and tin decorations" as well as ropes and floral decoration discovered "almost intact".

Archaeologists say efforts to safely free the chariot took weeks after it first emerged during an excavation effort on 7 January.

They said the fragility of the materials involved made their effort particularly complex, with special techniques, including plaster moulding, used to uncover it without damage.

The operation was carried out in collaboration with a local prosecutor's office amid criminal efforts to loot items of cultural heritage from the site using means such as illegal tunnels.

Officials described the carriage as without parallel among other finds in Italy.

"This is an extraordinary discovery that advances our understanding of the ancient world," Massimo Osanna, the director of the site, said in a press release.

He said some of the ornate decorations on the chariot allude to it being used for community festivities, possibly including wedding ceremonies.

"Considering that the ancient sources allude to the use of the Piletum by priestesses and ladies, one cannot exclude the possibility that this could have been a chariot used for rituals relating to marriage, for leading the bride to her new household," he said.

Dario Franceschini, Italy's Culture Minister, said Pompeii "continues to amaze us with its discoveries and it will do so for many years, with 20 hectares still to be dug up".

The ancient city, which lies around 23km (14 miles) to the south-east of Naples, is a Unesco world heritage site.

It is usually one of Italy's most popular tourist spots but is currently closed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Pompeii closed? I thought they've been open with limited capacity since last summer?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fell Fire posted:

The question of Stoicism being passive has come up several times in classical social justice circles in the past year. In general, that depiction is a reflection of public consciousness and not of the actions that Stoic emperors took.

From Donald Robertson, who has done some research on this subject:

Interesting.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I remember some anecdote from Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire and was trying to remember which emperor this was so I can figure out what happened.

I recall the given emperor being pretty good but having a crisis planning for succession. His family were fuckups but there was a successful upstart he really liked. So he sent out a summons to get this guy so he could try to adopt him, only to find out this guy's patriarch beat him to death when he had come back home. The patriarch just hated the guy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

Despite their pretenses towards objectivity, economists can also be prone to getting caught up in subjective notions that they will end up interpreting the data to support.

This is not limited to soft sciences

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

cheetah7071 posted:

As far as I can tell though, Economics is exclusivity used for political power and using it as a political weapon (to keep the rich and powerful, more rich and powerful),

In Roman/Ancient times: Soothsayers and Priests. Asking Jupiter would be more useful and less harmful than relying on an Economist for anything. Cheaper too - I think Jupiter would be happy with a goat or some chicken.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

I was listening to the latest In our Time and it was about Marcus Auerlius.They were going through some of his letters and I couldn't shake the feeling that his stoicism made him either incredibly passive or capable of doing awful poo poo. Also he came across as super awkward in general but I guess we will never know.

Didn’t he do a genocide at one point during Marcomannic wars?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

It's worth noting the man had 13 children and only 5 of them survived, and the only male was Commodus. And he spent an incredible amount of time on the front, you should read his meditations he was definitely turning towards stoicism to deal with what must've been crushing amounts of stress.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I’m remembering the first time I read meditations.

The words: “I have given it back” struck me as a profound sadness. Now having kids I can’t imagine losing eight and being gone for so long.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Didn’t he do a genocide at one point during Marcomannic wars?

The Romans did them all the time, killing/enslaving the entire tribe of people was kind of their go-to.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The romans were very inclusive. Everyone could be a slave.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

LingcodKilla posted:

The romans were very inclusive. Everyone could be a slave.
Centuriones :clap: conduceret :clap: ultra :clap: feminam

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I honestly can’t imagine the amount of background stress that must have been common in the pre-modern world. So much randomness. I suppose if you go to dangerous parts of the world now you would find people shaped by the same kinds of forces but it’s still hard for me to imagine.

Contrast that with Ea-Nasir ripping people off with shoddy copper ingots, which is completely relatable and humanising, and you have in a nutshell why history is the most interesting subject for me. Familiar elements and then bugfuck crazy alien mindsets.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not the best analogy given for most people even in the 'modern' world they still face the anxiety of everything they have going up in smoke from the slightest mistake or misfortune.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Comstar posted:

As far as I can tell though, Economics is exclusivity used for political power and using it as a political weapon (to keep the rich and powerful, more rich and powerful),

In Roman/Ancient times: Soothsayers and Priests. Asking Jupiter would be more useful and less harmful than relying on an Economist for anything. Cheaper too - I think Jupiter would be happy with a goat or some chicken.

I mean, economics is a way to model economic behavior....to try to figure out how people make decisions to distribute limited resources. It can be used as a political weapon, but so can everything else,

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not the best analogy given for most people even in the 'modern' world they still face the anxiety of everything they have going up in smoke from the slightest mistake or misfortune.

We've also got bugfuck crazy in spades.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Romans did them all the time, killing/enslaving the entire tribe of people was kind of their go-to.

The interesting thing here to me isn't that they would wipe out whole tribes, since that happened plenty--pretty much any ancient empire you can think of did that, but that we have a fair number of surviving records of other Romans being ripshit about it and saying Romans were trash people for what they did to tribes they conquered. Caesar got a ton of criticism for his behavior in Gaul, Tacitus famously shits on Roman imperialism. I would like to think every empire had its anti-imperial citizens, but I've never read anything from say, a Chinese historian talking about how Chinese people are monsters for wiping out Steppe Tribe X.

If anybody has please do link or post names, I'd love to see it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cheetah7071 posted:

My current take on economics-as-a-science was basically shaped by watching the aftermath of the 2008 crash. Every right wing economist on the planet started demanding austerity and predicting that stimulus would destroy everything forever and never work, and were saying outright that if the stimulus package worked at all, it would discredit right-wing economists. Paul Krugman made a blog post saying "This stimulus package is inadequate, I expect anemic growth for the next two years and then we'll probably see GDP at around [y]" .

I said to myself "ok, real world experiment." Two years later GDP was within [y] to a couple decimal places. Krugman was proved at least roughly correct, experimentally.

So that shows 1) economics can have accurate predictive power and 2) it usually doesn't because political factors usually overwhelm the analysis for most economists.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

The problem is also that while micro econ is pretty useful and accurate for the limited scope where they can be reliably applied, macroeconomics, the thing that basically influences everything in our society is little better than reading chicken entrails.
Compounded by the fact that most politicians , if they have any economics training at all and helps them push their desired perspective, it's in macro.

If you want a example, just check nordhaus nobel prize winning work and how it was profoundly wrong and a disaster for climate change.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Epicurius posted:

I mean, economics is a way to model economic behavior....to try to figure out how people make decisions to distribute limited resources. It can be used as a political weapon, but so can everything else,

Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary but competition for limited resources remains a constant. Need as well as greed has followed us to the stars and the rewards of wealth still await those wise enough to recognize this deep thrumming of our common pulse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Part of the problem with macro is that there are entire schools of macro being funded to advance clearly incorrect ideas to justify political actions by people advancing hidden civic religions.

Edit : and this is done openly and in the case of the Koch’s they talk about it a lot.