Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What’s with the dumb marine “honor” guard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1365559594173489153

Bill's now in the Senate, likely to be modified and passed next week, then final passage the week after.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Saw that and now I can't sleep. The Deficit :(

Golden is a pretty left leaning dude so it's not impossible he wanted more dollars and said gently caress it and voted no for whatever reason

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Looks like Cawthorn isn't going over that well with the base.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1365539786413535232?s=20

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Germany is currently experiencing the first proper punch of the British variant, and I'm absolutely dreading the fact that it could undo all our efforts to keep the new-infection graph on a downward trend.
We're only up to administering around 150k doses per day (partially due to the government's fuckup in the initial negotiations with vaccine suppliers/the EU, partially to the US and UK loving with the supply chain because nationalism), so while the upside is that we've now vaccinated 2 million of of our most-likely-to-die and most-likely-to-come-in-contact-while-caring-for-the-former folks, it still only seems like a drop in the bucket since it's almost March.

This from a day or two ago but I need to say here and now that although I utterly detest Johnson and the Tories with every fibre of my being and I am 100% a Remainer, the person they put in place as head of vaccination has done a brilliant job, admittedly by mainly doing nothing but getting the right people in our NHS and armed forces to sort it out for her. The sorry state of EU vaccinations is just utterly down to the EU and no one else, they were way too late in ordering vaccines and had no plan on how to organise it when they did get some.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Burt posted:

This from a day or two ago but I need to say here and now that although I utterly detest Johnson and the Tories with every fibre of my being and I am 100% a Remainer, the person they put in place as head of vaccination has done a brilliant job, admittedly by mainly doing nothing but getting the right people in our NHS and armed forces to sort it out for her. The sorry state of EU vaccinations is just utterly down to the EU and no one else, they were way too late in ordering vaccines and had no plan on how to organise it when they did get some.

This is true to a point. The NHS really has done a great job with the vaccinations, and the EU bungled it's rollout. The vast majority of problems in the European Union are caused by EU and national government incompetence. That said, when you order a certain amount of vaccines from a manufacturer, they agree to terms to deliver X doses in Y timeframe, and they then announce they have problems meeting their targets and will not deliver as many doses to the EU as agreed upon, but they will deliver the agreed upon number of doses to the UK, then something rotten is going on here. Either deliver what you promised, or cut each order down proportionally.

So the "partially EU fault/partially UK and US loving with the supply chain" is correct, it's just that the ratio is more like 95% EU fault/5% US & UK fuckery, if even that much.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
https://www.politico.eu/article/the-key-differences-between-the-eu-and-uk-astrazeneca-contracts/

This Politico article explains differences in how the AstraZeneca contract was written for the UK vice the EU. To paraphrase the article, the UK contract communicates, "you will deliver and if you take action that compromises delivery, we will hurt you", while the EU contract leans towards, "if you don't try hard, we won't pay you".

Now what else happened? Were the EU lawyers amateurs? Were the EU willing to pay the margins necessary for more strict language, or did they worse at negotiating or in a worse negotiating position? Was some greater leverage used to negotiate the contract since AZ's HQ is in Cambridge? Are you guys even talking about AZ or a different vaccine?

It's all hard to say.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Nessus posted:

Looks like Cawthorn isn't going over that well with the base.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1365539786413535232?s=20

For as big of Nazi fan boy as Cawthorn is he can't seem to remember what they did to the disabled.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

piL posted:

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-key-differences-between-the-eu-and-uk-astrazeneca-contracts/

This Politico article explains differences in how the AstraZeneca contract was written for the UK vice the EU. To paraphrase the article, the UK contract communicates, "you will deliver and if you take action that compromises delivery, we will hurt you", while the EU contract leans towards, "if you don't try hard, we won't pay you".

Now what else happened? Were the EU lawyers amateurs? Were the EU willing to pay the margins necessary for more strict language, or did they worse at negotiating or in a worse negotiating position? Was some greater leverage used to negotiate the contract since AZ's HQ is in Cambridge? Are you guys even talking about AZ or a different vaccine?

It's all hard to say.

It also didn't help that the fact that a lot of EU states said the the AZ vaccine was no good for people over 65, which, TBH, is a massive handicap. In the UK, it was "old? infirm? got an arm? Here have this jab". Who knows if it's the best but it is at least doing something.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

He also skipped out on the vote and lied by saying it was for "health reasons."

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1365729100510486532

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

help my brain is pinging off the walls of my skull after watching that

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
:chloe:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Crack, ping indeed

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MA-Horus posted:

help my brain is pinging off the walls of my skull after watching that

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1365721692350332935?s=21

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Gab is leaking

https://twitter.com/NatSecGeek/status/1365416337493868544?s=20

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Maybe consider salting them too. I mean don't for all of our sake, but...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
High earners furious because no one willing to acknowledge that they aren’t gently caress You Rich.

https://twitter.com/danriffle/status/1365884652414771201?s=21

People have been making posts like these and getting furious replies for a day or two. Maybe because of the covid relief check phaseout? But even with the phaseout, would be more accurate to post the pre-AGI income.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mlmp08 posted:

High earners furious because no one willing to acknowledge that they aren’t gently caress You Rich.

https://twitter.com/danriffle/status/1365884652414771201?s=21

People have been making posts like these and getting furious replies for a day or two. Maybe because of the covid relief check phaseout? But even with the phaseout, would be more accurate to post the pre-AGI income.

I think people are taking issue with the parent tweet.

https://twitter.com/DanRiffle/status/1365869852079095809?s=20

I know I can't take my 80k job anywhere and basically had the choice to live where I do and take it or take a similar pay job in an area where housing costs 2x more than what I already have.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

That Works posted:

I know I can't take my 80k job anywhere and basically had the choice to live where I do and take it or take a similar pay job in an area where housing costs 2x more than what I already have.

why are some people against paying people more money?? everyone should be getting paid more

GB3Pwood
Sep 13, 2004
Insult Swordfighter

Hot Karl Marx posted:

why are some people against paying people more money?? everyone should be getting paid more

Folks buy into the lovely line they're fed that an increase in minimum wage will have a direct and equal increase in the price of consumer goods. Enjoy your 18 dollar Burger King, or whatever.

EVEN IF MaccyD, BK, etc. did something like that, then they deserve to lose customers. They pay livable wages in some other first world countries that resulted in only tiny increases to the cost of a burger.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I think big macs went up by like 20 cents when Ontario/Canada went to $15/h

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

There may be a point past which the minimum wage would cause more economic friction than its benefits create, but that point is clearly well north of $15.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hot Karl Marx posted:

People are lovely I guess. I was dirt poor through pretty much all points of life till 4 yrs ago. I don't wish that constant stress and worry on anyone.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nessus posted:

There may be a point past which the minimum wage would cause more economic friction than its benefits create, but that point is clearly well north of $15.

Ding ding ding ding ding!

The reason they don't want the minimum wage to go to $15 is that if the sky doesn't fall as they've been predicting it would - and have been lying about - there'd be precedent for raising it even higher. They want to cripple and/or *kill* the middle class, not let more working-class people/families just barely claw and scratch their way into it!

See, the American Dream is only for those ~to the Manor born~, college graduates, and lottery winners. Because the burger flipper at McDonald's doesn't *deserve* a decent life unless they're working three jobs which ensures they'll never actually be able to *live* any kind of life outside their jobs.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
But the ruling class should be smart enough to provide enough to keep bread riots from happening, so they're going to have to lift it a little.

Since every dollar left in the pockets of a worker is a dollar that doesn't make it to the flush pockets of an owner, they need to do real careful math on it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

stealie72 posted:

But the ruling class should be smart enough to provide enough to keep bread riots from happening, so they're going to have to lift it a little.

Since every dollar left in the pockets of a worker is a dollar that doesn't make it to the flush pockets of an owner, they need to do real careful math on it.

"If we give them what they've been asking for, they'll be emboldened and just end up asking for more. Then their bosses, bosses' bosses, and bosses' bosses' bosses won't have as much money to bribe us with to pass legislation loving over their workers. They're so *greedy*!" :colbert:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

stealie72 posted:

Inherited wealth and power tends to end up with a ruling class that is no more intelligent or forward thinking than the average or even worse.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I think big macs went up by like 20 cents when Ontario/Canada went to $15/h

If you’re a smart CEO you’ll turn that 20 cents into “billions in costs for the consumer”

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I wonder what the 15$ minimum would do to the DoD pay scale.

https://www.dfas.mil/MilitaryMembers/payentitlements/Pay-Tables/Basic-Pay/EM/

You'd basically have to be E-4 over 4 or E-5 to clear 31,200. I just looked at my last couple of tax returns while I was in and I definitely didn't clear that bar unless you considered BAH. Let alone trying to do some sort of lol comparison to a 40-hour work week.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You'd basically have to be E-4 over 4 or E-5 to clear 31,200. I just looked at my last couple of tax returns while I was in and I definitely didn't clear that bar unless you considered BAH. Let alone trying to do some sort of lol comparison to a 40-hour work week.

I think you need to put a lot of weight into the healthcare costs since healthcare is expensive enough to uproot someone’s entire livelihood.

I don’t see the troops getting a raise if minimum wage goes up. I did the math once and I was making like $3/hr when I was deployed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'm guessing military is, or would be, considered exempt.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

I think you need to put a lot of weight into the healthcare costs since healthcare is expensive enough to uproot someone’s entire livelihood.

I don’t see the troops getting a raise if minimum wage goes up. I did the math once and I was making like $3/hr when I was deployed.

That's a good point. I often discount it due to my personally overwhelmingly negative experiences with the Military Healthcare Industrial Complex.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Also speaking of minimum wage what they should do is figure out a way to do minimum wage post-tax. $7.25 is more like $5 after taxes, and even though we all know about taxes, nobody actually knows what the gently caress they make per hour bottom line going into a job.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm guessing military is, or would be, considered exempt.

I guess my question would be more geared towards what it would do to recruitment/retention.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

If the military were any other organization, the lodging, food, etc would all be considered taxable income.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Yeah we were talking about this at work. I mean, BAH, health insurance, and the GI Bill are still things to consider, but I wonder if recruitment numbers drop since most people will just say they can make $15 on the outside.

-military pay won’t be affected I don’t think-that would mean all pay scales would need to scale appropriately.

nwin fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 28, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm just glad my VA poo poo isn't taxable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

That Works posted:

I’m feeling annoyed by his tweet, and maybe one reason is because he lives in the Trinidad neighborhood of DC, which is a hood that has become increasingly gentrified and displaced its older, poorer Black residents into Maryland as predominantly White people bought low-cost real estate and have ridden the home equity wave since. I also don’t know what his family situation is, but I can tell you that if you aren’t lucky enough to have childcare subsidized by your employer, you’re talking about costs approaching the level of a second mortgage payment for two kids. A lot of my friends and I make over $150k in household income but a bill like that would push a lot of us dangerously close to that “can’t afford a sudden $1,000 expense” level, and no one’s buying a $6 latte to go with their $11 avocado toast at that point.

There’s a hectoring tone in this guy’s tweet. Not all industries and cities are created equal when it comes to careers, and just because someone lives in a place like NYC or DC or LA doesn’t mean that everyone there is living in the lap of luxury. Hell, in my neighborhood, if I go a half mile in one direction, it’s ambassador’s residences and old money mansions, but a half mile in the opposite direction results in public housing and visible indicators of urban poverty.