Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:shrug: yup. and i'm perfectly willing to acknowledge that my brain is hosed, too.
Nah, it's just something that everyone experiences differently. To me, it's simply that the whole interconnectedness makes the game world of DS1 feel larger than the sum of its parts, while the more self-contained levels of Dark Souls 3 feels smaller because they don't... blend into each other in quite the same way, for lack of a better way to describe it. Like, I know Darkroot isn't actually that big, but the weird three-tiered construction of it and the way you can approach it from like three different directions just makes it feel titanic every time I pass through it. Farron Keep is probably objectively bigger, in terms of sheer size, but I can't help but remember it as the smaller area because it's just a lot simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To me DS1 has the most interesting world in the meta sense, but I prefer the minutia of 3. In the first game the whole world comes together as this big puzzle that has the pieces slowly come together to form this interconnected, more easily traversable area. Everything is built on top of each other in an almost hive-like structure. 3 doesn't really have that, but as far as exploration is concerned it my favorite for stumbling on a new area and seeing 5 new things to do in my vision cone. "Ok, there's a room up there and a ladder over here. But how do I get there? And I can see a cave down in that pit. I need to get down there too" I think DS3 does the best job of giving you a mental checklist of things to do right in front of you.

I think part of the problem with continuing with the world design of DS1 is that it was probably a lot of work to get it all working like that, but it wasn't really needed, since From had already decided to lighten up on fast travel and you aren't running around the whole map anymore. Therefore shortcuts within individual levels become a lot more important than linking the whole map. It's really a return to Demon's Souls after DS1.

I will always appreciate the design of Dark Souls 1, and it will probably always remain the most memorable game for a lot of people because of it. At the same time I think that style of design would just be redundant now and more for show than anything, unless they decided to remove fast travel. Which I don't think most people would like.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 28, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah I don't blame them for being like "That was a ton of work, we probably can't do that again and BETTER, so lets do something different with DS2 and try to have more variety"

Which is cool. But its a shame that nobody else in the industry is making anything like DS1. Its just, so epic.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

There was a good video about how DS3 does the interconnected world thing. It’s still more linear and not as ‘built upon’ as DS1, but areas you see from one spot are the areas you visit later. Or approximated close enough. With some skyline dramatised.

The way it was measured was so meticulous too. The guy placed those glowing orbs and then glitched teleported to a different vantage point and looked for the glow.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

considering the problems people have had trying to buy psnow games or ps+ games during lapsed subscriptions i am very skeptical this will go that smoothly

While it’s certainly possible PSN could gently caress something up initially, given how many people will likely be chomping at the bit to play the PS5-exclusive Yuffie DLC I imagine they’ll sort it out if needed.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I wish I had had the sega channel

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Poop! I am steamed! I was following an NPC guide for DS3 but the flags for these quests are such bullshit. My thief died because I walked into a room I wasn’t supposed to walk into :(

Oh well I know it’s only a couple items and I can just do it on NG+, but trying to balance these quests without spoiling the whole game is annoying :p

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bust Rodd posted:

Poop! I am steamed! I was following an NPC guide for DS3 but the flags for these quests are such bullshit. My thief died because I walked into a room I wasn’t supposed to walk into :(

Oh well I know it’s only a couple items and I can just do it on NG+, but trying to balance these quests without spoiling the whole game is annoying :p

You're meant to miss out on all the quests your first run, that's why its that way. Don't sweat it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't sweat it.

I mean or sweat it if you want; you feel how you feel and even if every dingus here thinks it's dumb they're still your feelings to feel so it's valid as heckfire.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah i mean that character is apparently destined to die anyway no matter what I do, it's just more frustrating to have the experience of "ok finally thank goodness I made it to the next bonfire... *consults my guide* "whatever you do, don't go into that bonfire or your friend dies and his quest is cancelled and youre a LOSER, you IDIOT HA HA" like... ok Dark Souls thats cool.

Pontiff was a cool fight! i really like the gameplay of 3v1 and I must have burned like 10 embers so i could go in with a full crew lol but it was very satisfying to take him down.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

considering the problems people have had trying to buy psnow games or ps+ games during lapsed subscriptions i am very skeptical this will go that smoothly

Someone posted a link in either this thread of the PS5 thread but this is something they fixed recently.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

welp no E3 this year. rip to christmas in summer. rip to a real one, the institution is dead :911:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

We are in a new era defined by Keighleys Summer of Games

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Game Awards is the new game christmas, rip

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah i mean that character is apparently destined to die anyway no matter what I do, it's just more frustrating to have the experience of "ok finally thank goodness I made it to the next bonfire... *consults my guide* "whatever you do, don't go into that bonfire or your friend dies and his quest is cancelled and youre a LOSER, you IDIOT HA HA" like... ok Dark Souls thats cool.

Pontiff was a cool fight! i really like the gameplay of 3v1 and I must have burned like 10 embers so i could go in with a full crew lol but it was very satisfying to take him down.

Sulyvahn is one of my favorites in DS3! :)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I do like that From is willing to put a ton of effort into an area that a lot of players might miss. Archdragon Peak needs you to do a bunch of stuff in order to get to it, and how are you supposed to know to do the Dragon pose at that one location in the Irihthyll Dungeon to travel there? And even before that you need to know to fight Oceris and then hit a hidden wall behind him, going to an alternative Firelink. I only knew about it because i had watched every single VaadiVidya video before playing it. Even then there are things i miss, like i never met Leroy Jenkins in DS1.

I know Souls players are crazy obessive but not everyone is going to hit every wall in the game.

After getting a bunch of late game trophies for GoT, I realized that a majority of people who own that game actually got that far. That's impressive as a lot of games I notice that maybe only a 3rd of people with the game have gotten far in it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I can't believe I'm saying this but the 3 million yen from doing a management session is pretty low returns... Is this metal slime thing people keep talking about a better moneymaker

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

(That is in reference to Yakuza LAD)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but the 3 million yen from doing a management session is pretty low returns... Is this metal slime thing people keep talking about a better moneymaker

No, it's great experience (the Kamurocho version anyway) but for money the shareholder meeting is gonna be fastest. Just do something else while you mash through it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Board meetings make money. Metal slimes make XP.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The only faster way to grind money than the management game is selling drops from the extra version of the final dungeon, which only unlocks after you beat the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hmm OK, I guess the only major expense I'm looking towards is upgrading the crafting place and I honestly Do Not Want To Deal With Crafting so I think I might be ok, I am here for the story and sub-stories

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
heavy breathing

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1365844188458287105

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it has pages alright...

pAGES before it gets released!!!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The fist post-game final dungeon in Like A Dragon contains five bosses, each dropping 5-6 million as a base. If you equip nouveau riche crowns on all seven characters and down a sengoku coffee during each boss fight, a single run that takes about 20-30 minutes will net you around 75 million yen, along with a small selection of endgame crafting materials.

For beating the base game, you can do this without significant difficulty using just the level 3 Romance Workshop, or even skipping it entirely (the battle arena items are definitely strong enough).

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I should probably finish Yak 7

I played it for like 30 hours but I'm sure I only got like 15% into the real story

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
ps5 version is out next week, might as well wait.

edit: oh thought this was the ps5 thread, uhhh anyway, unrelated but im gonna be starting again in y7 next week, only got up to chapter 5 when it came out. excited. 60fps, magic haptics

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I think I'm on chapter 5 or 7 myself?

I have a really hard time going back to games after a few weeks, even if they're as good as Yakuza

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

i think theres 12-13 chapters but the later half last a while when the new side stuff unlocks. too many games came out at the same time when y7 dropped and when the new year hit i just decided to wait lol

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I hope there is some way to transfer the save data in Yakuza 7 from the PS4 version to PS5. The trailer for the PS5 version of FFVII remake specifically mentions this feature so it must be possible. I don’t care about trophies so it doesn’t matter to me if they have separate trophy lists.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

That loving Sned posted:

I hope there is some way to transfer the save data in Yakuza 7 from the PS4 version to PS5. The trailer for the PS5 version of FFVII remake specifically mentions this feature so it must be possible. I don’t care about trophies so it doesn’t matter to me if they have separate trophy lists.
There is not, it's only possible if the developer puts in the extra time and money to run a server to receive and hand out the save data, and in Y7's case Sega didn't want to do that.

Probably because the Xbox ecosystem does it for them for free so it would only be for the Sony side. Edit: actually is it even a smart delivery game? I forget.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 28, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

welp no E3 this year. rip to christmas in summer. rip to a real one, the institution is dead :911:

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if E3 just dies after this or shifts dramatically.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

There's a few ps4/5 games that just read the existing save. AsscreedV and Watch_Underscore_Dogs_Underscore_Legion do.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Would you ever go to a crowded convention center full of greased up showerless nerds ever again after the last 2 years? I mean, I really don't see anything besides sports coming back to US. If there is a big industry gaming show happening ever again, i really doubt it'll be in the US. The way vaccines are going here, COVID is probably gonna be a part of our ecosystem forever.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It probably really will. The Spanish Flu burned itself out after two years, but travel back then wasn't nearly what it is today and the world population was a quarter of what it is now. There's no way we're ever going to get all of it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Travel just took longer but tourism and free movement were super easy and common.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Sorry this one's a pet peeve of mine. People been wandering basically the entirety of the earth since before there was an oral history, and the myth of never leaving your one horse town is a fuckin' myth. Leibniz traveled all over Europe, during the black plague. Prior to that a King's most prized possessions might be his folding chairs, because he were almost constantly on the move and a light portable place to keep your rear end out of the dirt was a godsend. Even before that there was a robust trade across the Pacific between South America and the Pacific Rim and even to the Middle East.

Mostly I think covid ain't going away is because the only person who cares whether or not you are alive is all too frequently you, and the only way to have a big gathering of smelly nerds crashing an industry convention again is to give a flying gently caress about anyone, everyone, else.

Cough, cough. Also games are awfulbad and I shot six over on a nine hole pitch and putt in 2K21 this morning.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cardiovorax posted:

It probably really will. The Spanish Flu burned itself out after two years, but travel back then wasn't nearly what it is today and the world population was a quarter of what it is now. There's no way we're ever going to get all of it.

Also America never shut down and never mandated masks and never forced businesses to close and didn't freeze rent or provide financial support or had clear guidelines about how we would ever get through this oh and also when the Post Office was like "Hey actually we can just mail everyone in the country like 5 masks and that would at least curb the spread somewhat" our president said no and then fired the guy that suggested that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Casnorf posted:

Sorry this one's a pet peeve of mine. People been wandering basically the entirety of the earth since before there was an oral history, and the myth of never leaving your one horse town is a fuckin' myth. Leibniz traveled all over Europe, during the black plague. Prior to that a King's most prized possessions might be his folding chairs, because he were almost constantly on the move and a light portable place to keep your rear end out of the dirt was a godsend. Even before that there was a robust trade across the Pacific between South America and the Pacific Rim and even to the Middle East.
I was talking about ease and speed of travel, which made it less likely that a disease popping up in Shanghai today might have spread to Paris by tomorrow, not that it wasn't happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Fair, but in this case you'd think disease would spread in waves rather than instantly all over the globe. It really does have to do with a sort of governmental nihilism that's overtaken the whole fuckin' world since oh poo poo this is another bad rant to go on