Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine three triangles at the edge of reality. Timeline works the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just wait til you get into the theories that Lorule, the Twilight Realm, Sacred Realm/Dark World and Termina are all the same place

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Man Minish Cap is seriously underrated. I'm near the end and it's maybe my favourite 2D Zelda. The aesthetic is so lovely and I'm really loving the way Kinstone system that constantly makes the map more interesting.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Though honestly I know that "the Triforce splits if someone's heart is imbalanced" is just something they came up with to explain why Ganondorf didn't immediately conquer Hyrule in OoT. This wasn't necessary in LttP since he was stuck in the Sacred Realm/Dark World and couldn't figure out a way to escape, which gave Link time to get the Master Sword and become the hero to stop him.

Pretty much, they're just changing the cosmology to fit the story of the latest game. It's like how the goddess Hylia wasn't a thing before Skyward Sword, or the three goddesses before OoT (LttP just mentioned gods without any details).

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just wait til you get into the theories that Lorule, the Twilight Realm, Sacred Realm/Dark World and Termina are all the same place

I’ve heard all these except without Termina. Maybe the place where you go to meet the giants, but not the overworld.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
why do some dots on the map of OoT flash and some dont?

also why wont marlon teach me the song? she says "lets sing together" i whip out the ocarina but she doesnt do anything. then again i should be loving around death mountain so...

been so long since i played, almost like a new game again , a half remembered dream

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/caoki8/status/1365984633377054727?s=20

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Pretty sure it's showing places you should go next.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Vikar Jerome posted:

also why wont marlon teach me the song? she says "lets sing together" i whip out the ocarina but she doesnt do anything. then again i should be loving around death mountain so...

been so long since i played, almost like a new game again , a half remembered dream

I think it flashes your next objective.

As to Malon, try leaving the Ranch and coming back? Or coming back the next day? I recall it was slightly fiddly to get her to teach the song to you.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

chaosapiant posted:

So I’m trying to collect all the Zelda games between my Wii-U and 3DS. I think I have every single game except for Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures. Is there currently a way to obtain these games through official means with the systems I have? Or am I relegated to emulation if I really want to play them?

Quoting this in hopes of a reply, as I would also like to know.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Four Swords Anniversary was a time limited thing on 3DS. It was free, but you can't get it any more.
Four Swords Adventures has never been rereleased and is only available on Gamecube.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The original Four Swords game was also bundled with the GBA version of A Link to the Past.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

I think for Malon you have to talk to her without the Ocarina first? She'll say something about Epona, then Epona will run from you, then you can bring out the Ocarina and she'll teach you the song.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Necrothatcher posted:

Man Minish Cap is seriously underrated. I'm near the end and it's maybe my favourite 2D Zelda. The aesthetic is so lovely and I'm really loving the way Kinstone system that constantly makes the map more interesting.

Funnily enough, I was looking at an article the other day about “top 10 handheld Zelda games” and Minish Cap was #1. Link Between Worlds was right behind it at #2. So it’s underrated but definitely adored folks.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

No there is no way to play those two games with only a Wii U, 3DS, and Switch. Four Swords Adventures is the good one but it's still trapped on Gamecube. Four Swords was temporarily rereleased on 3DS but if you didn't buy it then your only other option is the original GBA release, which also has no solo play. However this is really no great loss as the original Four Swords just isn't that good. FSA is good both solo and multiplayer and it's messed up they never rereleased it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you need to talk to malon three times at the ranch before she'll teach you the song. there's no other requirement, but yes it's dumb and way too easy to miss. i guess epona is technically optional?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Regy Rusty posted:

No there is no way to play those two games with only a Wii U, 3DS, and Switch. Four Swords Adventures is the good one but it's still trapped on Gamecube. Four Swords was temporarily rereleased on 3DS but if you didn't buy it then your only other option is the original GBA release, which also has no solo play. However this is really no great loss as the original Four Swords just isn't that good. FSA is good both solo and multiplayer and it's messed up they never rereleased it.

I was asking this same question recently. The two four-swords games are the only Zelda games I do not own. I have the rest of the catalog on Wii-U and 3DS. I’m thinking about buying some copies and just emulating them on Dolphin or something.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Amppelix posted:

you need to talk to malon three times at the ranch before she'll teach you the song. there's no other requirement, but yes it's dumb and way too easy to miss. i guess epona is technically optional?

You can longshot across the gerudo valley bridge so yeah it's optional.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

Funnily enough, I was looking at an article the other day about “top 10 handheld Zelda games” and Minish Cap was #1. Link Between Worlds was right behind it at #2. So it’s underrated but definitely adored folks.

This is kind of a weird thing to make a top 10 list for, since you need to start dipping into remakes and spinoffs to even get to 10 handheld games in the first place

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cattail Prophet posted:

This is kind of a weird thing to make a top 10 list for, since you need to start dipping into remakes and spinoffs to even get to 10 handheld games in the first place

Another hard day in the click mines

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Well, Four Swords Anniversary is available online if you have a softmodded 3DS. It was free to download so I don't think there's much stopping you ethically.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kassad posted:

Pretty much, they're just changing the cosmology to fit the story of the latest game. It's like how the goddess Hylia wasn't a thing before Skyward Sword, or the three goddesses before OoT (LttP just mentioned gods without any details).

Nah the LttP manual told the same creation myth story that the Deku tree detailed in OoT. The chief difference being that OoT gave them names while the LttP manual just called them the "Goddess of Power" and so on.

And honestly it wouldn't surprise me if there was some other mostly Japanese only extra source that kind of hinted at Hiyla.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Link to the Past mentioned the Knights of Hylia (which Link was descended from) but Hylia probably wasn't meant to be a goddess at that point, probably more of a place.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Oh right, the name Hylia was in that game too. I also had the idea that it was an ancient country/civilization predating the kingdom in LttP.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Magic the Gathering has a plane where it was the primordial home world of gigantic Cthulhu demons who were locked away by wizards, and over time the three cthullu aliens temples and ruins were discovered by the species of the realm and almost comically misinterpreted not at evil aliens but as elder gods, so much that they name the lands and countryside and ocean after the made up names for the imaginary gods they accidentally invented...

So Hylia/Hyrule might be like that, it used to be a place so long ago that knights of Hylia existed and then the Knights of Hylia are discovered and people assume that Hylia was a goddess they worshipped and not a place they lived.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/SWTwoDelta/status/1366871429883527168

The Engineer Link timeline

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ganondorf didn't get rid of the Master Sword in Wind Waker, it was used to freeze time in Hyrule to seal him. When you get it he even thanks you because he's like "You set me free by pulling it out."

He also didn't get rid of the Triforce, it split up without him doing anything. In fact Ganondorf wanted to find the Triforce, that's why he was so desperate to find Tetra since she had half of the Triforce of Wisdom. That's why his minions were kidnapping girls and taking them to the Forsaken Fortress.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm never trusting twitter again

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Like half the links are just some kid

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I gotta say, I do enjoy how most Links - at least in the 3D games - are just some lazy punkass kid, like toon link waking up at noon on the tower and being like “oh yeah, I guess it is my own birthday today, I forgot”

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

*yawns and stretches* I don't even care what Ganon's up to

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Like half the links are just some kid

I think the only Links that were actually chosen by the gods were LttP Link, OoT Link and BotW Link. Minish Cap, LBW and Twilight Princess Link weren't. I don't remember if Skyward Sword Link was.

e: Though I guess Minish Cap and Skyward Sword Link didn't fight Ganon, even if SS Link did fight Ganon's predecessor.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Skyward Sword Link just happened to be dating the girl who by chance was the mortal reincarnation of a goddess. Then the other Links are implied to be reincarnations of him because Demise cursed Link and Zelda to be hounded by Ganon in a cycle of rebirth. Except in Wind Waker where Jabun and the King explicitly discuss that he's a totally unrelated kid of no specific importance, because the previous hero was ejected from the timeline. Minish Cap Link could just be a coincidental kid too.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i think more people will be able to experience skyward sword now that it's coming out for switch which means now more people can experience groose which will then lead to his inclusion in whatever new zelda warrior game they make in the future

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Honestly Wind Waker Link is a loving chump compared to Zelda 1/2 Link.

Zelda 1/2 Link was just some wandering kid who happened to meet Impa by chance and decided to save Zelda, despite not knowing her. Wind Waker Link didn't even want to be a hero and only really got involved because his sister was kidnapped, if Aryll hadn't been taken WW Link probably would've lived his whole life on Outset. Zelda 1/2 Link also permanently defeated Ganon, except he did it without the Master Sword. He also rebuilt the Triforce of Wisdom from being shattered, and claimed the Triforce of Courage by facing his own darkness. He saved two Zeldas, and on top of that, Wind Waker Link got to live his life in peace and comfort after he defeated Ganon, whereas Zelda 1/2 Link had to deal with hordes of monsters out for his blood (literally) to resurrect Ganon.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I was just gonna post that Link 1 was a loving lad, just says gently caress this, nuts up, and kicks ganons rear end.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Twelve by Pies posted:

Zelda 1/2 Link was just some wandering kid who happened to meet Impa by chance and decided to save Zelda, despite not knowing her.

The lengths people will go through for some rear end is remarkable.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think the only Links that were actually chosen by the gods were LttP Link, OoT Link and BotW Link. Minish Cap, LBW and Twilight Princess Link weren't. I don't remember if Skyward Sword Link was.

e: Though I guess Minish Cap and Skyward Sword Link didn't fight Ganon, even if SS Link did fight Ganon's predecessor.

Twilight Princess Link did get his triforce just like OoT Link did (which is likely what protected him from the Twilight Realm and gave him the divine beast form), so I'm pretty sure they're both chosen ones. Though in Twilight Princess they have a bunch of random references to a Heavenly Messenger or Hero that come from both the Twili and Hylians, so it's not entirely clear if there was something more to him being something special.

Minish Cap though definitely was just a guy, he only happened to work for the Blacksmith but any good hearted kid could deal with the Minish stuff.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy 4th Anniversary, Breath Of The Wild :toot:

https://twitter.com/tristanacooper/status/1367125069143638023?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

bullshit because RITO and BOTW and BOTW 2 and timeline convergence.