Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

immortals phoenix rising is way better than i expected it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's very much a knock-off BotW but the humor is great and the gameplay is pretty solid.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

If every open world game could either stop doing herb gathering or steal IFR's while mounted auto-hoover up everything in 10 meters that'd be great.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Orv posted:

It's very much a knock-off BotW but the humor is great and the gameplay is pretty solid.
please note: the humor is appallingly unfunny and absolutely incessant. i gave up on the game after a couple of hours, despite enjoying the gameplay, because even muted the number of """""jokes"""""" i had to skip through was just intolerable. every single line was either a setup or a punchline, and for me about one in fifty of them landed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the latter half of BPM's character roster all have gimmicks on a variation of "never get hit, ever" so i think i'll be hanging it up

still 13 hours very well-spent

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
RE ARMA3, that's a shame. A big scale but single player shootmans sounded pretty good right now.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Det_no posted:

RE ARMA3, that's a shame. A big scale but single player shootmans sounded pretty good right now.

There is always the Arma 3 version of Dayz that is for singleplayer.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1693197718

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pipski posted:

It seems to be locked to 1080x724 with no way to change it, so I immediately uninstalled. I'd rather just wait for the full thing, I think, than experience it at the original game's resolution. It doesn't have the intro movie or menus yet, either. (The original SS is my favourite game ever.)

no? you can click on it and change it to whatever resolution you want afaict.

it does have a pixellated sort of aesthetic which I like but can see putting some people off.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 28, 2021

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I quite liked the System Shock demo. It certainly has some rough edges and can't compete with the budget of a Prey but I'm gonna pick up the full version unless reviews point out some major issues.

I also stumbled upon the Gloomwood demo, a thing I didn't know existed. It's a retro immersive sim with strong Thief influences (i.e. Thief with guns). Quite cool but the max "running" speed being so slow is killing me.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

pentyne posted:

Also, it seems basically impossible to beat the game with everyone surviving because the failure/success rates are baked into the save file so you can't save scum if someone dies. That's just pure RNG you can only do so much to prevent. You have to basically break the game over your knee to manage it, by which you'll need to have mastered the entire bartering, trade, combat, looting, herb gathering mechanics etc. to even have a chance.

It is not impossible, you are almost guaranteed to succeed at an everyone lives playthrough if you have mastered the game's mechanics and I don't begrudge the game for locking a semi-perfect¹ ending behind knowing its ins and outs. Once you understand the hobo economy (which at its core involves buying every needle and nut you find to trade them with children for more valuable stuff) and have identified the herb hotspots (knowing how to loot plague houses is also worth a lot if you're lacking for anything, but I don't think it is as essential as the rest.) the only resource that's truly scarce are Panaceas and Powders. While Pathologic does do its things to be immersive, it also reminds you constantly that it is a work of fiction through the theater motif and that it is a game through its mechanics, Nikolay - the lead dev - is on record as wanting players to save scum (that's the whole point of the permanent penalties for dying) and you can play the death rolls. First, they are seeded at the last midnight (which is very inconvenient to get back to, but is a possibility if you're desperate), but most importantly, you don't want to use Panaceas or Powders on people who are not going to die, so just make a save at a central spot in relation to the infected at around 2200 or 2300 in the evening, see who's scheduled to die despite whatever treatment you provided and then go back in time to save them.

That's all stuff that an unguided player won't be capable of doing on a first playthrough, but it is meant to be a tough game

¹perfect ending is actually everyone but Anna Angel survives

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

awesmoe posted:

please note: the humor is appallingly unfunny and absolutely incessant. i gave up on the game after a couple of hours, despite enjoying the gameplay, because even muted the number of """""jokes"""""" i had to skip through was just intolerable. every single line was either a setup or a punchline, and for me about one in fifty of them landed
drat that's some curmudgeonly poo poo

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Don't know anything about the game but I definitely lold at the idea of a character named "Mr. Libtard" so it's 1 for 1 for me right now

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Volte posted:

Having so many children and being so horny means Zeus has transcended dad jokes!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Orv posted:

Does it have BOTWs Weapon Durability thing?

Hot Take but I did not enjoy BOTW for many reasons but that was by far one of the biggest. Gave up on the game after defeating the "first" dungeon boss water elephant thing.

I think a BOTW-like that I can play with mouse and keyboard might be up my alley though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

awesmoe posted:

I think it's pretty okay and the constant dunking on Zeus is very funny to me. The biggest weakness of the game is that it is 100% derivative. I've literally not found a mechanic yet that I wasn't able to identify as coming from a specific other game. It might be the most outright derivative game I have ever played, in fact. It does nothing original, as far as I can tell. It's overall pretty fun, but I think I would enjoy it more if I hadn't seen everything it does in another game that I've already played before.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

I think it's pretty okay and the constant dunking on Zeus is very funny to me. The biggest weakness of the game is that it is 100% derivative. I've literally not found a mechanic yet that I wasn't able to identify as coming from a specific other game. It might be the most outright derivative game I have ever played, in fact. It does nothing original, as far as I can tell. It's overall pretty fun, but I think I would enjoy it more if I hadn't seen everything it does in another game that I've already played before.

Darksiders did the same thing and I think it works pretty well in both games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Darksiders did the same thing and I think it works pretty well in both games.
Sure, just saying how I feel about it personally. If I had played that game without coming in contact with all the sources it draws on first, I think I would've called it amazing. It's a really, really dense game, in terms of mechanics and things to do. It steals from the absolute best and joins it all into a mostly seamless whole.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
A game being derivative is not something that I really care about as long as it does what it does well. I think the open-world puzzle playground aspect of Fenyx is something I haven't really seen before other than in pure puzzle games like The Witness. Rifts are obviously inspired by BOTW's shrines (although much more cohesively designed IMO), but the overworld gameplay being a gigantic free-form puzzle zone with no real "quests" per se beyond the main story beats, which are still basically just more elaborate set-piece puzzles, is a big departure from most open-world icon spam games, especially Ubisoft ones, and probably the main reason I don't find myself feeling bored or directionless while playing it. There's never any doubt as to what you should be doing: whatever you want.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

And there's nothing wrong with that, really. To me it's only an issue because I tend to get bored with games as soon as I feel like there's nothing really new to discover in terms of what the game lets you do, which is why I rarely finish games. A game as instantly familiar as Fenyx Rising is basically starting from the worst possible place to keep my interest in the long term. It's an entirely subjective thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Det_no posted:

It is certainly still both those things just also the kind of game where a single bullet can kill you and also the kind of game where it is almost impossible to see the guy who shot you because they’re a couple hundred meters away prone in the grass. And the AI stuff mentioned before. They work great when you’re not the one telling them what to do.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Does it have BOTWs Weapon Durability thing?

Hot Take but I did not enjoy BOTW for many reasons but that was by far one of the biggest. Gave up on the game after defeating the "first" dungeon boss water elephant thing.

I think a BOTW-like that I can play with mouse and keyboard might be up my alley though.

It has no weapon durability. As much as I liked BotW it removes basically every complaint I had with that game. Adds a few of its own, mind you.

awesmoe posted:

Alright Koalemos calm down.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 28, 2021

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i'm lovin boomer shooters atm and i'm replaying quake for the first time since i was 6 years old. i also played ion fury, dusk, amid evil, project warlock, the old doom games and liked or loved them all. other than quake 2 does anyone have suggestions for more? due to severe personality issues i don't want to play anything on early access, i've got like six of them wishlisted for when they come out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Foul Fowl posted:

i'm lovin boomer shooters atm and i'm replaying quake for the first time since i was 6 years old. i also played ion fury, dusk, amid evil, project warlock, the old doom games and liked or loved them all. other than quake 2 does anyone have suggestions for more? due to severe personality issues i don't want to play anything on early access, i've got like six of them wishlisted for when they come out.

play Unreal Gold and Strife: Veteran Edition if you've never played those
also play Overload

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Volte posted:

I was ok with the humor but some of the characters' forced accents were extremely annoying

I've got what you might call a Thing for bad VO though - the game itself seemed real good. (Aside, I'd argue it felt more like a N64-era Rare collectathon than a BotW clone, but eh, semantics)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 28, 2021

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Foul Fowl posted:

Kind of old, but since you're playing Q1&2, Serious Sam and Painkiller Black kind of fit there, though I wouldn't say they are as good as the revival or the classic games, but for a while they were what we had. Unreal 1 is kind of in the liminal area between Quake 2 and Half-Life, but it is definitely closer to the former than the latter.

Edit: Oh yeah, Overload owns

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Hwurmp posted:

play Unreal Gold and Strife: Veteran Edition if you've never played those
also play Overload

will do, thanks.

ZearothK posted:

Kind of old, but since you're playing Q1&2, Serious Sam and Painkiller Black kind of fit there, though I wouldn't say they are as good as the revival or the classic games, but for a while they were what we had. Unreal 1 is kind of in the liminal area between Quake 2 and Half-Life, but it is definitely closer to the former than the latter.

i played painkiller when the zero punctuation review for it came out so i must have it on steam somewhere. i can barely remember it. i'm gonna give the serious sam games a look too, they've been on my radar for a while. thank you.

e: overload looks very cool, that's a solid rec.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Foul Fowl posted:

will do, thanks.

i played painkiller when the zero punctuation review for it came out so i must have it on steam somewhere. i can barely remember it. i'm gonna give the serious sam games a look too, they've been on my radar for a while. thank you.

e: overload looks very cool, that's a solid rec.

Oh yeah, when people remember the Serious Sam games fondly they mean Serious Sam First and Second Encounter. 2 is so so, 3 is better but has some military shooter elements. Haven't played 4, but it looks alright at 84% positive reviews.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Foul Fowl posted:

Blood, then the Death Wish mod for Blood

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Det_no posted:

Arma really is more fun in multiplayer when someone can pick you back up when you get hit. You die very, very easily even to small calibers. There's also a goon group that practices dying to small calibers.

It can be utterly terrifying in coop though and there is no game like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE9NYsqSdpA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xGzAdZF_zo&t=3040s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oif1BI8tmYs

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Oh yeah, when people remember the Serious Sam games fondly they mean Serious Sam First and Second Encounter. 2 is so so, 3 is better but has some military shooter elements. Haven't played 4, but it looks alright at 84% positive reviews.

serious sam 4 is a solid game but it's dragged down by confusingly bad performance in some levels and a couple of lame levels. Overall the pacing is good and while YMMV, for me the game's exceedingly dumb dialogue hit more than it missed. worth a play if the gameplay of backpedaling while pouring rockets into a stampede of kleer still isn't old to you.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Foul Fowl posted:

As someone who only really got into that particular style of shooter a few years ago and has no real nostalgia for that subgenre (my blind spot is towards more linear experiences like Half Life), Blood really is among the best of them. Just don't be afraid to customize the difficulty to your liking and know that it's got a pretty tough start.

Otherwise there are a few early access ones that will probably be out fairly soon, the most notable being Wrath and Prodeus, so you might wanna keep your eye on them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Volte posted:

A game being derivative is not something that I really care about as long as it does what it does well. I think the open-world puzzle playground aspect of Fenyx is something I haven't really seen before other than in pure puzzle games like The Witness. Rifts are obviously inspired by BOTW's shrines (although much more cohesively designed IMO), but the overworld gameplay being a gigantic free-form puzzle zone with no real "quests" per se beyond the main story beats, which are still basically just more elaborate set-piece puzzles, is a big departure from most open-world icon spam games, especially Ubisoft ones, and probably the main reason I don't find myself feeling bored or directionless while playing it. There's never any doubt as to what you should be doing: whatever you want.
Genshin Impact also has unmarked puzzles in the world to solve, but I don't know how it compares density-wise to Fenyx

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Does Turok 2 count? I like Turok 2.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The 7th Guest posted:

Genshin Impact also has unmarked puzzles in the world to solve, but I don't know how it compares density-wise to Fenyx

Whats a genshin

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Seriously, what is a genshin? I've been wondering.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

A kind of impact.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cardiovorax posted:

Seriously, what is a genshin? I've been wondering.

Google

genshin means tribunal, and barbatos refers to genshin as power and it's users, as if it's tribunal power is referring to the gods as the judge. so it means The Impact (power) of God's Court.Oct 8, 2020

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mordja posted:

As someone who only really got into that particular style of shooter a few years ago and has no real nostalgia for that subgenre (my blind spot is towards more linear experiences like Half Life), Blood really is among the best of them. Just don't be afraid to customize the difficulty to your liking and know that it's got a pretty tough start.

Otherwise there are a few early access ones that will probably be out fairly soon, the most notable being Wrath and Prodeus, so you might wanna keep your eye on them.

i'm definitely gonna pick up blood, and in general i like playing difficult games so no problem on that front. though quake was very rude when i tried to play it on hard and kept getting owned by two shamblers in a row on level, like, 3.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Foul Fowl posted:

There are of course thousands of levels for Doom, but there's also some total conversions that are games in their own right, like Ashes 2063 (a postapocalyptic shooter) or Blade of Agony 1&2 (basically Wolfenstein).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Hwurmp posted:

also play Overload

ZearothK posted:

Seriously, go play Overload. I apparently only had 14 hours in it for my win, but it sure as poo poo felt like 40+, in a positive way. It's a good, meaty game.

edit: that 14 hours cannot possibly be correct, I know I spent ages in each stage hunting hidden doors.