Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

The Dark Knight ($533.3 million)
The Dark Knight Rises ($448.1 million)
Wonder Woman ($412.6 million)
Joker ($335.4 million)
Aquaman ($335.1 million)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice ($330.4 million)
Suicide Squad ($325.1 million)
Man of Steel ($291 million)
Justice League ($229 million)
Shazam ($140 million)

Obv Dark Knights and Joker aren't DCEU, but I copied most of the above from somewhere so leaving it in. It still is pretty impressive how much better it did than the movies that in theory (and executives' minds) should have been the clearer winners.

Edit: I apologize for international box-office erasure, and thanks to those below for that insight

Cael fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Harper would be a way better Superman than Reed Richards. He’s too likeable for even the most optimistic version of Richards, who needs just a little bit of oblivious prick to him.

He isn't very likable in Midsummar.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/groovybruce/status/1365786071632646149?s=21

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cael posted:

Joker ($335.4 million)
Aquaman ($335.1 million)
Shazam ($140 million)

Obv Dark Knights and Joker aren't DCEU, but I copied most of the above from somewhere so leaving it in. It still is pretty impressive how much better it did than the movies that in theory (and executives' minds) should have been the clearer winners.

I don't think those factor in international box offices, just domestic. Aquaman made a ton of money overseas.

E: 1.148 billion USD!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Cael posted:

Joker ($335.4 million)
Aquaman ($335.1 million)
Shazam ($140 million)

Those are just the domestic numbers, worldwide it cleared a billion and is, in fact, the highest grossing DC movie, and second highest grossing film WB has ever released.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

To be fair, with inflation accounted for The Dark Knight still barely beats it out.

In 2018 dollars, TDK made $ 1,172,127,350.76.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Glad to see Bruce is in Doc Strange 2.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Four hours leading up to a massive cliffhanger, apparently

Cael posted:

Joker ($335.4 million)
Aquaman ($335.1 million)
Shazam ($140 million)

Huh, didn't figure Man of Steel would've been so low. I can definitely see how the numbers for BvS or JL would be lower after some people left MoS with a distaste for Snyder, but man MoS was the first Superman movie in a good while and personally I still think that first trailer gets me pumped as hell.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AngryBooch posted:

Glad to see Bruce is in Doc Strange 2.

I mean, I knew he was gonna be ever since they announced Raimi to direct but I’m still so delighted to see it confirmed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is pretty much known though.

It's supposed to be the J'onn reveal and I guess whatever information he shares.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Huh, didn't figure Man of Steel would've been so low. I can definitely see how the numbers for BvS or JL would be lower after some people left MoS with a distaste for Snyder, but man MoS was the first Superman movie in a good while and personally I still think that first trailer gets me pumped as hell.

It had bad reviews and worse word of mouth.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I keep going back and forth on whether I really want to watch this but I guess at least they're doing a good job of preparing people for the obvious potential annoyances so if I do watch it and get annoyed that it was a 4 hour cliffhanger to nowhere I gotta carry some of that blame.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

It had bad reviews and worse word of mouth.

Had an A- CinemaScore, which is on par with many of the more popular Marvel Studios movies...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TwoPair posted:

Why do you think they jumped straight from MoS to Batman fighting Superman? MoS underperformed, especially relative to Marvel, and WB panicked.

Though again, those are the domestic figures, worldwide I think it did around 600m in total box office.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If anything I expected BvS to be lower

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MoS made 116mil out of 291mil on its opening weekend which is actually a sign of pretty good worth of mouth. You’d see a much higher share on opening otherwise.

The damage would have been mostly the reviews.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I see the Amber Heard rumor is trending on twitter with the hashtag "Justice for Johnny Depp" which is a conflictingly lovely reaction. Why do people always just have to have the worst possible takes all the time forever?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

theironjef posted:

I see the Amber Heard rumor is trending on twitter with the hashtag "Justice for Johnny Depp" which is a conflictingly lovely reaction. Why do people always just have to have the worst possible takes all the time forever?

Depp has spent a lot of money to suppress his side of the abuse in that relationship. The British decision has been spun as declaring Heard not guilty, when it was a libel case against a tabloid.

She certainly sounds to have done way more extreme things, but the evidence in that case shows that Depp was abusive himself as well.

So people were mad that he got dropped from the Fantastic Beasts movies but she hadn’t been dropped from Aquaman, but given nothing had been decided in court yet with her that was just the studio covering their rear end.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 28, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Timby posted:

Had an A- CinemaScore, which is on par with many of the more popular Marvel Studios movies...

Cinemascore means people who went to see it saw what they expected to see. It's kinda mostly useless for that reason. An unpopular movie will end up with a good cinemascore because people who would have disliked it didn't go to see it. A popular movie will have their scores lowered by people's boyfriends/girlfriends/family being dragged kicking and screaming to go watch it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Didn't know heard was abusive as well, only knew about depp. Rip mera

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Really good horror films often get bad cinemascores because people leave the theatre not feeling good and therefore give it a low score.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

Yeah it sounds like both of them were lovely to each other, and she's also had previous partners saying she was abusive to them as well I believe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

site posted:

Oh yeah the stuff she did is crazy. She cut off part of his finger, and poo poo on their bed because of an argument.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

site posted:

Yeah,there's stuff like she was the one who was violent towards her sister, not Johnny.

Also this:

Aphrodite posted:

Oh yeah the stuff she did is crazy. She cut off part of his finger, and poo poo on their bed because of an argument.

Anyways, both were toxic as gently caress by the look of that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I'll have u know the judge ruled one of the dogs pooped on their bed!

(Please don't take this as me defending Heard, they both seem pretty toxic)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Yeah, same. I'm just like "Please don't spin taking Heard off a movie for any reason as somehow being a heroic act that restores Johnny Depp to a state of fairness" because that's weird.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 28, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

STAC Goat posted:

I keep going back and forth on whether I really want to watch this but I guess at least they're doing a good job of preparing people for the obvious potential annoyances so if I do watch it and get annoyed that it was a 4 hour cliffhanger to nowhere I gotta carry some of that blame.
I do appreciate the gall to get to finish a movie you didn't get to previously finish and despite it being over four hours you still don't finish it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
How does ending it on a hook for the darkseid movie mean it's unfinished

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

How does ending it on a hook for the darkseid movie mean it's unfinished

Yeah, this. The movie was always gonna end on a cliffhanger. He was given money to finish the movie, not finish his movie and make two sequels.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Avengers 1 is unfinished because it ends with a Thanos hook

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its in what "cliffhanger" means. Yeah, if its just a Darkseid "I'll do it myself" type tease then its no big deal. A little odd because of how disconnected it is to the DCEU at this stage, but understandable as part of the original plan.

If its a more traditional cliffhanger then its something else. Something like the fan speculation of a Knightmare reality would seem a much bigger deal without any resolution.

It all comes down to whatever "massive cliffhanger" means. I think the question is is Snyder trying to complete his full Justice League story or is he still just telling his Part 1 that was always intended to be a cliffhanger into Part 2? That last quote from him kind of sounds like the latter and changes the math a bit, I think.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, there's a profound difference between a cliffhanger and a sequel hook.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Great, really looking forward to hearing civil, productive discourse about #releasethesnydersequel for the next ten years.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's definitely my fear. I mean, we were always going to get some kind of tease of Zack Snyder's future vision and people clamoring to see that. But IF Snyder made Part 1 of a 2 Part 2 story with the assumption that it will do well enough that his fanbase will be able to demand a sequel get made? That's a lot.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

STAC Goat posted:

I think its in what "cliffhanger" means. Yeah, if its just a Darkseid "I'll do it myself" type tease then its no big deal. A little odd because of how disconnected it is to the DCEU at this stage, but understandable as part of the original plan.

If its a more traditional cliffhanger then its something else. Something like the fan speculation of a Knightmare reality would seem a much bigger deal without any resolution.

It all comes down to whatever "massive cliffhanger" means. I think the question is is Snyder trying to complete his full Justice League story or is he still just telling his Part 1 that was always intended to be a cliffhanger into Part 2? That last quote from him kind of sounds like the latter and changes the math a bit, I think.

Okay that's fair I was being a bit too glib with the avengers comparison, but I don't think it changes anything. Justice league was always going to lead to the darkseid movie in some fashion and the snyder cut is just his version of justice league with all that that entails. Why is there any expectation that he would also change the finale

site fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 28, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

site posted:

Okay that's fair I was being a bit too glib with the avengers comparison, but I don't think it changes anything. Justice league was always going to lead to the darkseid movie in some fashion and the snyder cut is just his version of justice league with all that that entails. Why is there any expectation that he would also change the finale

Because I think a lot of people heard "Zack Snyder planned for Justice League to be 2 parts" and "Zach Snyder is releasing a finish 4 hour Justice League" and came up with "Zack Snyder's finishing his 2 part Justice League plan."

Obviously maybe that was just a misinterpretation. But the reality that this might be a 4 hour Part 1 with no Part 2 is... well I'm reconsidering my interest level.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snyder's 2 part Justice League got condensed into 1 well before production began.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think most fans will understand this is it. He said he might get to finish the story in a comic book but he can move onto other projects of his now. If he gets to get to do his version of Excalibur, a movie he is obsessed with, then that'll be cool.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If they original ending was a sequel hook, then keep that as the ending, the entire point is putting out exactly what he has wanted to originally put out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

STAC Goat posted:

Because I think a lot of people heard "Zack Snyder planned for Justice League to be 2 parts" and "Zach Snyder is releasing a finish 4 hour Justice League" and came up with "Zack Snyder's finishing his 2 part Justice League plan."

Obviously maybe that was just a misinterpretation. But the reality that this might be a 4 hour Part 1 with no Part 2 is... well I'm reconsidering my interest level.

#RestoreTheSnyderVerse

(Yes, that's now a real thing)