Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

happyhippy posted:

Can't see it from the EU here.
Is there any mention of the costs of the lemonade and the brain surgeries?

Want to find out how many drinks she will have to sell to afford to live.

Edit:

Found out via other news sources.
Surgery = $75k.
Lemonade = 25 cents

So needed to sell 300,000 lemonades.

Good to see that she has raised $214k on her donation page so far.

quote:

‘I hope I make it’: 7-year-old Alabama girl selling lemonade to fund her own brain surgeries
LOCAL NEWS
by: Malique Rankin

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 / 05:25 PM CST / Updated: Feb 26, 2021 / 09:08 AM CST

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Savage’s Bakery in Homewood is now serving a new kind of lemonade–a special concoction customers won’t find on their regular menu.

Liza Scott, the 7-year-old daughter of owner Elizabeth Scott, has set up a lemonade stand inside the bakery. Because when life gave her lemons…

She made lemonade.

For her customers, these tasty, thirst-quenching treats are just that. But for Liza, they’re a sign of hope and perseverance in the face of adversity. The proceeds from each glass of lemonade will help fund Liza’s upcoming brain surgeries.

“She has three cerebral malformations,” Scott said. “One is what they call a schizencephaly. So it’s a cleft in the frontal lobe in the right side of her brain, and we think that’s what causing the seizures.”

It was less than a month ago that Liza began having Grand Mal seizures. Weeks later, doctors learned this “spunky, loving, fearless, bright, happy girl” has an “extra special brain.”

“In most every instance of these rare malformations doctors only see one malformation — in Liza’s case she has 3,” Scott wrote on Liza’s Mightycause page.

Next week, Liza and her mother will fly to Boston Children’s Hospital for the first of a series of surgeries.

“I can’t handle it. So, I hope I make it,” Liza said. “My mom keeps saying I’m going to, but I feel like I’m not.”

Elizabeth Scott says she’s still processing this reality and is leaning on her faith to stay strong.

‘I’m not that strong, I’m just brave’: Boy not expected to live past infancy defies odds
“You know, in the moments that I feel like I can’t breathe, or I’m awake in the night and I can’t sleep, I pray,” she said. “I’m on my hands and knees, literally, praying.”

Elizabeth Scott purchased additional insurance to help pay for Liza’s brain surgeries. But with travel and hotel costs heaped on top of medical expenses, the family is already nearing $10,000 in out-of-pocket expenses.

“As a single mom and the financial supporter of both of my children, this is not something you can budget for,” Scott said.

So in addition to selling the tastiest lemonade around, the Scotts are also looking for donations. As of Thursday afternoon, they have reached nearly $6,000. If you would like to help donate to Liza’s fund, click here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Using your dying child for labor :discourse:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Using your dying child for labor :discourse:

I think they're free labor if it's your child?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Len posted:

I think they're free labor if it's your child?

Children are not free though, the little fuckers keep being hungry and grow out of even burlap sacks, and you have to have space for them and all their loving stuff. What I'm saying is that homegrown child labour is a bad short term investment. Possibly better in the long term when they can afford to put you in a hinge when you're old. But at the current rate, that's unlikely.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

BonHair posted:

Children are not free though, the little fuckers keep being hungry and grow out of even burlap sacks, and you have to have space for them and all their loving stuff. What I'm saying is that homegrown child labour is a bad short term investment. Possibly better in the long term when they can afford to put you in a hinge when you're old. But at the current rate, that's unlikely.

thats why some savvy investors have turned their children into profit centers by posting their lives on Instagram and collecting ad revenue

bonus points for special needs children

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

thats why some savvy investors have turned their children into profit centers by posting their lives on Instagram and collecting ad revenue

bonus points for special needs children

local radio is advertising “youtube school” for parents wanting to get their boring children into streaming

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BonHair posted:

its why historically its mostly been peasants (as opposed to serfs or slaves) and other farmers that have surplus food having like 12 kids, because it only makes sense when you have an excess of food

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

its why historically its mostly been peasants (as opposed to serfs or slaves) and other farmers that have surplus food having like 12 kids, because it only makes sense when you have an excess of food

Are you sure this is accurate? I thought it had more to do with stuff like effective birth control more than anything else?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1364979094698536963

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

but isn’t twitch owned by amazon?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Jel Shaker posted:

but isn’t twitch owned by amazon?

Yup!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

this looks like a hostage video

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The_Franz posted:

this looks like a hostage video

It is!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Are you sure this is accurate? I thought it had more to do with stuff like effective birth control more than anything else?

thats part of it but its not that easy to get knocked up lol. you don't accidentally have a big family even with no birth control

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

thats part of it but its not that easy to get knocked up lol. you don't accidentally have a big family even with no birth control

I mean how hard it is really varies between individuals and anyway children were pretty cheap until recent history. I’m hardly an expert and I’m fascinated to know more but I’m skeptical of widespread effective family planning in pre-modern societies

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nature family planned for you by killing 80% of your children! so gentle!

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

your manager @ amazon asks you if you voted for the union

I DID-ENT

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

*extremely rapid blinking*

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

children were pretty cheap until recent history

I don’t think this has ever been true in human existence

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

indigi posted:

I don’t think this has ever been true in human existence

The value of a young child is always totally dependent on the owner and market, like anything else.

In the past they were more likely to die young therefore you did not want to get attached to them.

Therefore they were more fungible and liquid if someone wanted to buy them as a slave or trade them to eat in a famine or whatevs.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
most of the time they were taken, along with other family, as payment for a debt.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Preen Dog posted:

In the past they were more likely to die young therefore you did not want to get attached to them.

lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hodgepodge posted:

most of the time they were taken, along with other family, as payment for a debt.

Reading Graeber's Debt at the moment, and very much this but also more complicated

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
yeah the whole parents only valued their kids as tools is an urban myth more than anything. Even among the noble class who did use them as tools

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

like is there a single source of peasants going “yeah we don’t love our kids until they’re about 12-13 just in case they die”

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

indigi posted:

like is there a single source of peasants going “yeah we don’t love our kids until they’re about 12-13 just in case they die”

if half your babies died it would be pretty traumatic

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I've heard of places where kids didn't get named for months/years after they were born but that seems more for grief mitigation than because they didn't care

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GotLag posted:

I've heard of places where kids didn't get named for years after they were born but that seems more for grief mitigation than because they didn't care

How the heck would that even work - "hey, you! No not you, you! No no not you either, you there!" or "did you feed that uhh that dude? no not that dude, the other dude!"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ArmZ posted:

if half your babies died it would be pretty traumatic

not if you don’t love them. checkmate

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Gregori Dati (not a peasant, a merchant from Florence) had like 26 kids, most of whom died. From what I remember of his diary, he seemed to celebrate them being born but was also resigned to the possibility of them dying at a very young age. It's difficult to imagine now, but high infant mortality was a fact of life, and if your kids are likely to die that's probably going to change how you view them and how attached you get. Plus if you're a peasant you don't really have the option of taking some time off to sort yourself out, you work or you (and your family) starve to death.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you are a peasant you do backbreaking work half the year and the other half of the year you dont have jack poo poo to do cuz youre waiting for crops to grow or waiting for winter to end

animals are a part time job

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Buck Turgidson posted:

Gregori Dati (not a peasant, a merchant from Florence) had like 26 kids, most of whom died. From what I remember of his diary, he seemed to celebrate them being born but was also resigned to the possibility of them dying at a very young age. It's difficult to imagine now, but high infant mortality was a fact of life, and if your kids are likely to die that's probably going to change how you view them and how attached you get. Plus if you're a peasant you don't really have the option of taking some time off to sort yourself out, you work or you (and your family) starve to death.

Merchants from Florence started the black death outbreak in Europe by demanding their goods be released from quarantine early so I don't know if you should use them as a yardstick for empathy

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
you could die at any time for any reason and you had very little understanding of why a lot of the times.

I don’t know why people think kids dying was special other than back loading modern sensibilities onto the past

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

The Oldest Man posted:

Merchants from Florence started the black death outbreak in Europe by demanding their goods be released from quarantine early so I don't know if you should use them as a yardstick for empathy

The point is that conditions were different. It's easier to understand why some people's relationships with their children would be different if the likelihood of them dying was sky high.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Buck Turgidson posted:

The point is that conditions were different. It's easier to understand why some people's relationships with their children would be different if the likelihood of them dying was sky high.

Is a merchant with 26 kids a good proxy for the peasantry back then?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

there is a poem that survives of a father dealing with a father losing his young daughter to the Black Plague

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Buck Turgidson posted:

The US already has high infant mortality rates, and is the most plagueridden country on the planet, it's not hard to imagine at all.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

child mortality wasn't that bad until agriculture & animal husbandry

humans did not evolve to have more than half their kids die. obv humans have maybe the slowest and least efficient reproductive cycle of all living things ever

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

humans walk on two legs, have no hair and our digestive tract is basically a trash can. our collective social nature lets us tend to the sick and heal the wounded.

even if we never figured out agriculture or cooking we're basically the final product of evolution on earth, a naturally occuring grey goo

there is no creature more alien to this planet than us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wasn't child mortality as high as like 30% in like 1870 lol. it's really recent that it was as low as it is now.