Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Mage_Boy posted:

In last week's episode it showed her vision turning to seeing energy when she crossed the barrier. Even if you don't know her comic origin, that should show you how she now has a power of some sort.
I kinda figured that from the glowy blue eyes stuff she's got going on but like... the blank-scans thing kinda implies that she's, like, entirely made of magical hex matter now? Maybe??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

massive spider posted:

It’s the same thematic bit as the movie Pleasantville. Colour in the black and white world is loss of innocence.

Except it wasn't loss of innocence in that movie, it was a change of perspective.

Anywho - Dottie bled red because the town and everyone in it being black and white wasn't an element of the "filming" being picked up at the SWORD camp; Wanda had literally changed everyone and everything to be monochrome on the surface. But inside they're the same as always, and as nobody ever bleeds in a classic era sitcom Wanda didn't change it on autopilot.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

hocus pocus 2 will reveal that it takes place in the marvel universe with a cameo by kathryn hahn as agatha harkness

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I have Dr Strange/Dottie theory

She's Clea undercover

Gaebril
Dec 18, 2016

Pretty good posted:

I kinda figured that from the glowy blue eyes stuff she's got going on but like... the blank-scans thing kinda implies that she's, like, entirely made of magical hex matter now? Maybe??

Her abilities are electromagnetic in nature - she could see the distinctive curly shapes of the magnetic field around the power wires.

X-Rays are also part of the electromagnetic spectrum. My takeaway is not that she has blank insides, but that her abilities are distorting the X-Ray input of the imaging equipment.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Sanguinia posted:

She's already an outlaw vis a vis those accords though. Unless the Avengers all got amnesty for, you know, saving half the lives in the universe. Which I could believe.

My point is that if Wanda resurrecting Vision violates the Sokovia accords, then the same applies to Hayward. So if Woo or Monica or anyone else who wasn't loyal Hayward found out what he was actually doing, they'd be entirely justified in arresting him.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Jedit posted:

Except it wasn't loss of innocence in that movie, it was a change of perspective.

That's not an either/or thing- Innocence/perspective/repression/purity/'imperfection'/whatever. The point is usually that the color world is terrifying but needs to be faced as 'real' more than the naive black and white one (e.g the girl in red in Schindlers list). Even in the wizard of oz where the it's the ostensible fantasy world that's in color and the supposed real world in black and white.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 28, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

fractalairduct posted:

My point is that if Wanda resurrecting Vision violates the Sokovia accords, then the same applies to Hayward. So if Woo or Monica or anyone else who wasn't loyal Hayward found out what he was actually doing, they'd be entirely justified in arresting him.

I thought the Sokovia Accords were specifically about the Avengers and setting up oversight and regulation for them in particular, not super-people in general

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

I thought the Sokovia Accords were specifically about the Avengers and setting up oversight and regulation for them in particular, not super-people in general

Were there known super people besides the Avengers at that point? The Black Panther's existence seemed to be a revelation in Civil War.

And concerning Dottie, Agatha was very adament about Wanda impressing upon her. If Dottie wasn't important, why would Agatha beat that drum?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Regarding Dottie, this could mean nothing, or it could be something, but Vanity Fair's Still Watching podcast was going to interview Caulfield last week as part of their WandaVision coverage, but were told it would be better if they held off until this week. Which could be down to Caulfield just not being in episode 8 at all, or it's because she has something big happen in the finale.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
There's plotlines about the sokovia accords in Agent of Shield as well, so it impacts all powered people I guess

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Robot Hobo posted:

I wonder if anything else from that episode of the Dick Van Dyke Show will be relevant to the plot.
Actually, the episode itself seems like an early-60s sitcom take on a Skrull Invasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU7Dzd16Tn4

Also, one thing I can confirm is that Mary Tyler Moore seductively riding wave of walnuts is something that I never realized was missing from my life until now.

Plot relevant, I dont think so; I think it was more just that "but it was all a dream" is something Wanda wanted in her own life.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

twistedmentat posted:

This reminds me, I was wondering if the Basement was always there or Agatha somehow magicked it into existence when she arrived. It does seem unlikely that Vision would buy a plot of land right next to a magic dungeon, this is the one thing that makes me doubt that the deed actually was bought by Vision and not provided to Wanda by someone else

I think the director guy bought the land and made it look like vision did to get the crazy going. Also Agatha came flying in on a broom in her video and says she felt all the spells.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Vision buying the house is a little strange since they were fugitives and he's a robot so it seems likely that someone planted it.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Vision buying the house is a little strange since they were fugitives and he's a robot so it seems likely that someone planted it.

He wasn't a fugitive. He fought for Tony and was meeting Wanda in secret at the beginning of Civil War.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The X-man cometh posted:

He wasn't a fugitive. He fought for Tony and was meeting Wanda in secret at the beginning of Civil War.

Wanda was broken out of the Raft and was basically the impetus for the Accords so she absolutely was.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If helping save just shy of half of all life in the universe doesn't get you a pardon, what the gently caress does?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Robot Hobo posted:

I wonder if anything else from that episode of the Dick Van Dyke Show will be relevant to the plot.
Actually, the episode itself seems like an early-60s sitcom take on a Skrull Invasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU7Dzd16Tn4

Also, one thing I can confirm is that Mary Tyler Moore seductively riding wave of walnuts is something that I never realized was missing from my life until now.

Did married couples really sleep in two separate twin size beds back in whatever time period that show is set in? I noticed that in WandaVision too but forgot about it. And if so… why? Not like they have to worry about the most evil sin of all: having sex before marriage.

Also help me out with the timeline here and for the MCU. I’m assuming I don’t need to spoiler tag anything.

So Infinity War happened and the snap happened. Wanda got snapped. 5 in-universe years pass by before they undo the snap in Endgame. Wanda comes back but in her mind like 5 minutes have passed. She drives to Westview and the show starts? (Or maybe she goes to SWORD HQ to see Vision first?)

As for SWORD, who are they and where did they come from. Like, was SWORD ever mentioned in any of the movies? Did they show up in Endgame? Are they essentially SHIELD v2 but (as of now) without the Nazi aspect?

Monica: did they say she had already been in the Hex 2 times and wouldn’t be able to go through a 3rd time, or that she had already gone through once and wouldn’t be able to do it a second time? I thought they said she went through 2 times already, but unless I missed an entire episode I thought she only went in once (she stuck her hand in and got pulled over).

Also, her timeline seems kinda fast. So she got killed by the snap, and then she got brought back 5 years later. The very next day she went back to work like nothing happened?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

mind the walrus posted:

If helping save just shy of half of all life in the universe doesn't get you a pardon, what the gently caress does?

A close personal relationship with the president and an anonymous donation of a million dollars.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Did married couples really sleep in two separate twin size beds back in whatever time period that show is set in? I noticed that in WandaVision too but forgot about it. And if so… why? Not like they have to worry about the most evil sin of all: having sex before marriage.

I think only on TV and movies. IF I recall correctly it had to do with not wanting to imply that the couple, even if married, were having sex. I'll do a quick google search, but I do remember that was the case.

Edit:
Yeah, it has to do with the The Hays Code. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SleepingSingle

quote:

One of the "do nots" that weren't to be shown in films under any circumstances was "Any licentious or suggestive nudity." Further down, in what was described as the "be careful" section, was "Man and woman in bed together."

Bewitched was one of the first shows to go the hell with it and make the characters share a bed. So the creators of Wandavision were on spot on the second episode by turning the twin beds in one bed. That's quite the detail to be honest.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 28, 2021

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Vision was long dead before that happened.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Desperado Bones posted:

I think only on TV and movies. IF I recall correctly it had to do with not wanting to imply that the couple, even if married, were having sex. I'll do a quick google search, but I do remember that was the case.

Yes it was because of puritanical broadcast standards of the day, Lucy and Ricky also had separate beds on I Love Lucy. It's also why the production studio originally told Carl Reiner that MTM could only wear capri pants once per episode.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh god. The first episode. The calendar was the deed. Vision couldn't remember why there was a heart, Wanda didn't want to remember, so she made out the story of Vision's bosses on the go. :cry:

I immediately picked up on this and went back to watch the scene from episode one and the heart is the same shape, but it's filled in, like Wanda had the new reality hastily scribble over the note from Vision to hide from the pain

Goddamn, the show really went for the heart this week

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Some real life couples from that era did indeed have twin beds, but that's as likely to be for practical reasons as it is today.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I immediately picked up on this and went back to watch the scene from episode one and the heart is the same shape, but it's filled in, like Wanda had the new reality hastily scribble over the note from Vision to hide from the pain

Goddamn, the show really went for the heart this week

Not nearly the same shape, BUT now that you point that out that detail, god...it's more heartbreaking.

/Spoiler of screencaps from last episode ahead:

Sorry for the Spanish subtitles, I did the quick comparison and was showing it to my facebook friends.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Vision was long dead before that happened.
Yeah I was referring to Wanda.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sort of, but not for the reason you'd think.

Historically, up until the 1800's, most families only owned a single bed and literally everyone -- Mom, Dad, the kids, and guests -- slept in the same bed, often fully clothed, because furniture was expensive and the world was cold. Even in hotels, strangers were usually forced to share both a room and a bed. Around 1850, owing to a new but incomplete scientific understanding of how disease was spread, there was a concerted push by health authorities against people sharing beds: hotels forcing strangers to sleep in the same bed was outlawed in England, kids were generally pushed out and into their own beds, and eventually separate beds and separate rooms became a status symbol for wealthy and middle class married couples. It was essentially a Victorian health fad.

By the early 20th century there started to be pushback against Victorian norms, and sleeping in the same bed was seen as promoting a healthy marriage. By the 40's and 50s sleeping in separate beds was considered a sign of of a loveless marriage, but TV censors held onto the custom long after most of the public had abandoned it out of a sense of prudishness.

TLDR: they didn't make it up; it was a real, but outdated, thing.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 28, 2021

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah I was referring to Wanda.

This could just be overnerding it but as I see it, we have a situation where Vision bought property for himself and Wanda when she was a fugitive after breaking both her house arrest at Avengers HQ and regular arrest at the Raft. She's presumably in the clear now, since Falcon and the Winter Soldier presumably means Sam's in the clear, but it doesn't fix Vision's timeline.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah the shared bed thing, one can even see it literature Moby Dick being the quickest example that pops into my head.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Have they said where the SWORD headquarters is located? It looks like Florida but also it must be in driving distance of New Jersey because Wanda drove there and Heyward said he was going to back to the office in one episode.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah the shared bed thing, one can even see it literature Moby Dick being the quickest example that pops into my head.

But enough about Ahab and Pip

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Timeline of the upcoming MCU stuff on D+ and theaters. Not sure if there's anything new here or not.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

live with fruit posted:

Have they said where the SWORD headquarters is located? It looks like Florida but also it must be in driving distance of New Jersey because Wanda drove there and Heyward said he was going to back to the office in one episode.

MCU wiki says it's in Florida. You can drive from Florida to NJ, it takes about 15 hours depending on where you start and end. I assume the director of SWORD has a private jet or something though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I would also assume there are field offices and such, with one very likely in DC and or NYC. She flies to DC or New York, grabs a vehicle and drone, drives to New Jersey.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
nvm wrong thread

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

If I were watching this show two years ago I would probably feel a lot more strongly about people's right to free will and not being trapped in some sort of dream world but at this point I'm honestly begging for a witch to turn me into a sitcom shenanigans zombie.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also help me out with the timeline here and for the MCU. I’m assuming I don’t need to spoiler tag anything.

So Infinity War happened and the snap happened. Wanda got snapped. 5 in-universe years pass by before they undo the snap in Endgame. Wanda comes back but in her mind like 5 minutes have passed. She drives to Westview and the show starts? (Or maybe she goes to SWORD HQ to see Vision first?)
More or less, though not quite that immediately, since Tony Stark's funeral happens in the meantime.

quote:

As for SWORD, who are they and where did they come from. Like, was SWORD ever mentioned in any of the movies? Did they show up in Endgame? Are they essentially SHIELD v2 but (as of now) without the Nazi aspect?
Not in the movies before now, and yeah, they seem to be the new SHIELD. In the comics I think they specialize in alien threats.

quote:

Monica: did they say she had already been in the Hex 2 times and wouldn’t be able to go through a 3rd time, or that she had already gone through once and wouldn’t be able to do it a second time? I thought they said she went through 2 times already, but unless I missed an entire episode I thought she only went in once (she stuck her hand in and got pulled over).
Not being in the Hex, it was that she'd passed through the barrier twice at that point, once going in and once coming out.

quote:

Also, her timeline seems kinda fast. So she got killed by the snap, and then she got brought back 5 years later. The very next day she went back to work like nothing happened?
I believe they indicated there had been a week's gap or so in between (or enough time for Wanda to attend Tony's funeral, go to SWORD and then to Westview, and for Jimmy Woo to notice something was up and call SWORD).

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Lord Hydronium posted:

I believe they indicated there had been a week's gap or so in between (or enough time for Wanda to attend Tony's funeral, go to SWORD and then to Westview, and for Jimmy Woo to notice something was up and call SWORD).

Hayward says it's been three weeks in episode 4.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hayward says it's been three weeks in episode 4.
Ah, thanks, I couldn't remember if they'd given an exact figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
This line is so sweet :3:
https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1366128879145005058?s=20