Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

RatHat posted:

From Hilde’s comments I’m guessing her reason for saving humanity is that she’s in love with one of the contestants?

Bishamonten is probably one god split into 7, hence Jack’s comment.

Well, Brunnhilde was famously involved in a tragic romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As others mentioned Buddha taking this angle kind of damns Hercules. I would be fine with overlooking the whole "fighting for the extermination of humanity while saying you love humans is bizarre and dumb" thing otherwise, but having one of the gods outright reject taking that role later makes it harder to overlook.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I could see Rasputin betraying humans for the gods.
It wpuld be a very fictional rasputing thing to do

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hot drat, it's such a good day. someone put the final 15 chapters of birdmen up on mangadex! i'm not sure where the rest of the manga is now that it's gone from jaiminisbox, but i'm sure some scraper site grabbed it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

hot drat, it's such a good day. someone put the final 15 chapters of birdmen up on mangadex! i'm not sure where the rest of the manga is now that it's gone from jaiminisbox, but i'm sure some scraper site grabbed it.

Apparently JB said they don't want their stuff re-uploaded and Mangadex is honoring that, so you'll need to read at another aggregator to read those now.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

Apparently JB said they don't want their stuff re-uploaded and Mangadex is honoring that, so you'll need to read at another aggregator to read those now.

Unless MD changed their rules, 6 months after a group disbands their scans can be freely uploaded. Already happened with Champion/ProjectTime scans who were working on stories like 'Wrong way to use healing magic'. I think it's just these translators who are not willing to re-upload Jaimini's Box's scanlations. We should see in another month or two since I think the deadline is approaching.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I feel conflicted about the ending and last stretch. Overall it's a good ending which is all you can hope for in a series but here's a bunch of :words: because I don't use MD's comment section.
It really feels like the scale of the narrative reached too far with trying to rectify and entire global phenomenon. The story also loses steam once the group finally leave japan, as the hunt for the various chosen Seraphs becomes more and more glossed over. I think it's a combination of not really building up the first two of this final batch and their necessity for the group, and even the previous Seraph that was acquired in Africa, the idea of what this group would require lost a lot of meaning. Earlier it made sense; a commander, an amplifier, connector, even the last in Eva's genome manipulation all worked towards a configuration built around the mass proliferation of Birdmen. The african girl's ability to calm a mental state also kind of fits here since that power could be used to mitigate blackouts, but it's such an underutilized ability. I don't see any purpose towards the middle eastern character's ability to create illusions, We got nothing on what the "wild joker" even does, and the fetal seraph's wiretapping ability is just kind of there. I don't know if this story was axed of the writer wanted to move on but that's a really unfortunate turn for this mythical group's development. A lot of details feel glossed over including the fact that the Ende is some ancient natural Seraphim as well as a humanoid hermaphrodite which has all kinds of implications towards the evolution and origins of both Birdmen and humans. And that's the tip of the iceberg for things that get brought up but never put in greater context of focus. For example; originally Fox and his many personalities seemed to be remnants of his time with the other adam clones and maybe a reminder he created out of the trauma of their short lived lives. But turns out they or at least Fox himself are just artificially induced personalities and I really don't remember them explaining that.

Most of the major villains dying off and/or getting away scott free is also just personally unsatisfying. The head of Eden stepped down peacefully and has a disease he doesn't even want to cure. And it doesn't matter because he left behind a copy of his will to the next generation despite also viewing himself as defective because of his albinism. All the rogue Eve's that committed an act of global terrorism get to exit stage left. The leader of the Eden-created mutants is the only one to really even face legal ramification and he's perfectly content with this outcome. Not that those not the director weren't victims in their own right but they are now removed from the long-standing consequences of their own crimes. Leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth is all. EDEN as an institution also doesn't suffer greatly because they literally are humanities last hope in combating the virus as well as the growing population of birdmen in this fight for evolution. Ultimately a lot rides on Karasuma's decision to uplift any and all youths into being Birdmen if they want too. I don't fault the decision they made because the story clearly paints the circumstances that informed it. Robin also got stopped in her tracks from potentially causing a similar problem Arthur caused and that was a nice chapter overall. So the epilogue is fine.

And one thing I was thinking is how many characters just exist as plot devices. There's the child prodigy Alva who just solves the bulk of the EDEN conflict herself. There's Eva that gets out whenever she wanted and started all this and her reach extended outside her cage. The mutations of the birdmen later in the series become the exact solution for problems especially the little girl that can calm people's minds down which was needed for the arc she got introduced and she got shelved after that save also calming down Robin in like a single panel. And Takayama exists as a macguffin. I won't say this is not expected since Tanabe's previous major serialization 'kekkaishi' also had this with a couple characters and literal deus ex machina to resolve the plot. I'm still not sure if I would consider Takayama's whole existence something similar.

All in all I think maybe Tanabe bit off more than she can chew with this premise. The idea of a new(but not really) species of creatures contesting humans and finding their own niche and relationship is super interesting to me. The Neural connection of the birdmen and how they can use this to influence their station has some utterly horrifying ramifications. And their communal nature contrasted with how humans have to guess and anticipate each other. It all works towards the larger themes of the narrative. But in that same vein these are all some huge questions and concepts and the main characters originally started off a Gatchaman crew going up against a clandestine scientific and political superpower to ultimately decide the fate of two species. I think that is why the last chapters of the story feel so dense and some of the things I think got handwaved needed to be introduced. If anything the story needed more chapters to better setup these components but ultimately I think a smaller scale narrative is more in keeping with Tanabe's writing.

Either way I'll be re-visiting the series in full later this year because I like Yellow Tanabe as a mangaka quite a bit. Kekkaishi was a very good and unique shounen story for me given how it plays out. 'Laughter at the end of the world' was a short but sweet story I kind of story I wish had gotten a full serialization but I also like it as is. Birdmen has been an obsession of mine for a couple years as well, it oozed style and quality early on despite how I think the later stretch fared. I want to go back, take some better notes, and really dissect this one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the main conflict was defused by the mutants and the rogue eves. they directed the disgust and hatred for aberrations toward themselves and eden, and then provided a threat that the birdmen were necessary to resolve. so, once that was done all that was left was for the birdmen to come together and negotiate forcefully. this was interesting because the eves were presented as being an ominous looming threat, but they really weren't. they were on the side of the birdmen all along and because they got their hands dirty the birdmen didn't have to.

so the moral of the story is, terrorism and especially global bioterrorism work.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ytlaya posted:

As others mentioned Buddha taking this angle kind of damns Hercules. I would be fine with overlooking the whole "fighting for the extermination of humanity while saying you love humans is bizarre and dumb" thing otherwise, but having one of the gods outright reject taking that role later makes it harder to overlook.

Given that they referenced him in this very same chapter, I have to assume they're going to address it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Herc flat out says that if he won he'd request that humanity not be destroyed. I mean, it's still stupid.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he'd request it, they'd say no, herc shrugs and goes on with his eternal life

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So the creepy weird and oedipal manga A Trail of Blood is coming to a head.
The kid has been so fully gaslighted and guilted by his mom hes gone into a mental break and is hallucinating that he told his mom to push the other kid off the cliff. Shifting the entirety of the blame of his mom actions unto himself (in a very "i know writers who use subtext, theyre cowards" scene)

Its not obvious if it thats real or not but if it is the author is making the kid complicit in his own abuse and trauma and thats a complete poo poo of a turn.
Itd be fine if he believes that to be the case thanks to a lifetime of guilt complex pushed onto him by his mom, but making it actually so is not.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm heartbroken that the Hibiki manga seems to have been abandoned by scanlators, and never got a western release. It's a manga about an author and one of the most gripping stories I've ever red. But even though the series is complete in Japan, no one has translated a chapter in 7 months. Sigh.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Hagiwara is posting art of Bastard characters drawn in his new style and is breaking my heart, cause that series is never ever continuing.

https://twitter.com/v007hag/status/1363406773613334533

https://twitter.com/v007hag/status/1362632226626703363/photo/4

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I know of Bastard! but I'm not super familiar with it. It's dark fantasy but more in the vein of Heavy Metal or Slaine than Berserk right?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Pierson posted:

I know of Bastard! but I'm not super familiar with it. It's dark fantasy but more in the vein of Heavy Metal or Slaine than Berserk right?

Kind of yeah. Its those, old school Dungeons & Dragons campaigns, an extreme love of heavy metal (everything is named after either metal or hard rock bands/song names. Spells like Helloween or Explosive Wall Of Guns & Roses and people named Yngwie Von Malmsteen and Lars Ul Metallicana), pure male power fantasy and an extreme amount of horny all tossed into a blender and served up as a manga.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Archer666 posted:

Hagiwara is posting art of Bastard characters drawn in his new style and is breaking my heart, cause that series is never ever continuing.

https://twitter.com/v007hag/status/1363406773613334533

https://twitter.com/v007hag/status/1362632226626703363/photo/4

This is how you know that the universe is cruel and unfair.

Pierson posted:

Imagine this,

Plus this

And this

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
The only thing I know about Bastard is that the Super Famicom game had a literal "I win" button that would insta-kill your opponent if you pressed it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So what you're saying is that it's like an Imagine Dragons song

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jagged Jim posted:

The only thing I know about Bastard is that the Super Famicom game had a literal "I win" button that would insta-kill your opponent if you pressed it.

For me it's that Bastard served as part of the inspiration for Guilty Gear.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
buddha owns

https://arangscans.com/manga/shuumatsu-no-valkyrie/chapter-44/?style=list

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Holy poo poo, the way Shuumatsu no Valkyre does pre-battle hype is something else. :eyepop:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I'm sad the ever increasing name was lost.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Holy poo poo, the way Shuumatsu no Valkyre does pre-battle hype is something else. :eyepop:

Is this even his final form? That's a legitimate question here. Zerofuku looks like he's straight out of bleach and I consider that a loser flag so a point for Buddha going into this fight.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Brought To You By posted:

Is this even his final form? That's a legitimate question here. Zerofuku looks like he's straight out of bleach and I consider that a loser flag so a point for Buddha going into this fight.

I mean I expect Buddha to win because he's the loving BUDDHA but I also expect this fight to live up to the hype regardless.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, I thought all the pre-battle hype was supposed to be Heimdall, but kind of seems like it's still going even as Heimdall himself is left without his horn and is mostly just reacting with shock to present developments. It's delivered the way he usually talks instead of like neutral narration, though, or at least parts are, like the, "Nay! Nay!! Nay!!!" I might just be reading too much into that though.

Hypocrisy posted:

I'm sad the ever increasing name was lost.

Brought To You By posted:

Is this even his final form? That's a legitimate question here.

Clearly his true form is Jugemu Jugemu Go-Kō-no-Surikire Kaijari-suigyo no Suigyō-matsu Unrai-matsu Fūrai-matsu Kū-Neru Tokoro ni Sumu Tokoro Yaburakōji no Burakōji Paipo Paipo Paipo no Shūringan Shūringan no Gūrindai Gūrindai no Ponpokopii no Ponpokonā no Chōkyūmei no Chōsuke.

Edit: Also, I like that Shiva and Thor seem to be amused by this development, unlike most of the other gods. They definitely seem like the two who could relate to Buddha's "I'll take you all on, I don't give a gently caress" attitude the most out of all the gods we've seen so far.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 1, 2021

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Roland Jones posted:

Huh, I thought all the pre-battle hype was supposed to be Heimdall, but kind of seems like it's still going even as Heimdall himself is left without his horn and is mostly just reacting with shock to present developments. It's delivered the way he usually talks instead of like neutral narration, though, or at least parts are, like the, "Nay! Nay!! Nay!!!" I might just be reading too much into that though.

Clearly his true form is Jugemu Jugemu Go-Kō-no-Surikire Kaijari-suigyo no Suigyō-matsu Unrai-matsu Fūrai-matsu Kū-Neru Tokoro ni Sumu Tokoro Yaburakōji no Burakōji Paipo Paipo Paipo no Shūringan Shūringan no Gūrindai Gūrindai no Ponpokopii no Ponpokonā no Chōkyūmei no Chōsuke.

Edit: Also, I like that Shiva and Thor seem to be amused by this development, unlike most of the other gods. They definitely seem like the two who could relate to Buddha's "I'll take you all on, I don't give a gently caress" attitude the most out of all the gods we've seen so far.

I mean it makes sense, since Shiva did the same in his youth.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Aphrodite was real, real mad. It's a shame that there's already so many Greek god fighters already.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 1, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I wonder how Buddha will fight. With the translator note and the prayer beads I'd say that the luck god will be using the averices to attack somehow. Which plays off the whole story of Buddha letting go of all worldly desires.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, tangent, but with how the rules were interpreted this chapter, we're not necessarily going to see a human fight for the gods (who probably wouldn't stand for it anyway); it isn't explicitly explored, but the possibility of team-ups is opened by this, as is returning fighters, as suggested by Zeus himself. We're almost definitely getting another fight from him, I think. Heck, the final fight might end up being everyone left on both sides in one final, massive battle.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
poo poo is starting to go down in The Violence Action.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Heracles was just too dumb and didn't realize he could switch sides.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Roland Jones posted:

I appreciate this

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Zerofuku reminds me of that one sadistic long-haired pretty boy from Kengan Ashura.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The First Year's Tourney is starting in Sugarless and im so goddamn pumped

wait how is this shounen

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 3, 2021

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The only tourney I care about is the one happening in Hagure Idol Jigokuhen. Cause boobs

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fungus and Iron chapter 1

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

its not very gripping is it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pretty meat and potatoes dystopia setup. The mushroom gimmick seems like it could be cool?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I wasn't too impressed initially but it grew on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Shuumatsu no Valkyrie 45

Buddha continues to be great.