Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There are plenty of economists who will tell you that the field has gone backwards for the last 40 years... much like living standards in America!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it would honestly not astonish me to learn that during other periods of extreme, arguably socially harmful wealth inequality (say, latifundium era rome) there were entire philosophical schools or orator traditions funded to support the status quo and reaffirm how some people are more deserving than others and that inequalities are based on merit so forth. it influences public opinion and someone needs to challenge and oppose efforts to moralize or address the stratification. wealthy people bribing people to get them to say how great they are seemed to underpin a lot of roman politics?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I mean that’s why the Charles Koch Foundation changed its name to “Cato”.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Doesn't micro-economics as a feild rely on humans being rational actors making rational decisions? Because uhhhhhh...

That was my impression after exactly one undergrad course anyway.

CoolCab posted:

it would honestly not astonish me to learn that during other periods of extreme, arguably socially harmful wealth inequality (say, latifundium era rome) there were entire philosophical schools or orator traditions funded to support the status quo and reaffirm how some people are more deserving than others and that inequalities are based on merit so forth. it influences public opinion and someone needs to challenge and oppose efforts to moralize or address the stratification. wealthy people bribing people to get them to say how great they are seemed to underpin a lot of roman politics?

They were called "The Optimates"

sullat posted:

Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary but competition for limited resources remains a constant. Need as well as greed has followed us to the stars and the rewards of wealth still await those wise enough to recognize this deep thrumming of our common pulse.

:hmmyes:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Economics can also be used to solve much smaller-scale problems than national issues, but those normally don't get a lot of press. It's a science that analyzes behavior and resource distribution. You kinda have to keep your ear to the ground to notice.

I think some that stick out to me is how it's been used to develop decentralized trading systems for zoos and food banks for distributing their resources between eachother in a fair way that is suited to the specific conditions of each site. There's also things like developing techniques to shame people into paying their taxes more.

PittTheElder posted:

Doesn't micro-economics as a feild rely on humans being rational actors making rational decisions? Because uhhhhhh...

That's often the assumption, which leads to plenty of problems in the field, but they try to compensate by cataloguing common ways in which human behavior deviates from the supposedly rational.

An evil use of that is microtransaction games that do their best to obscure how much money you're putting down in total while keeping you hooked on the sunk cost.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The old adage "no model is correct, but some are useful" applies, I think. Human behavior en masse is as complicated and difficult to fully explain as the weather, but by making some simplifying assumptions you can create models which do good enough to be useful. If a model doesn't meet that threshold, your assumptions were too simplifying (or just plain wrong) and you go back to the drawing board. I have no trouble believing "most people behave mostly in their own best interests" can be an input to very useful models.

Assuming your goal is even to be accurate and not push an agenda, that is

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I mean, people politicize history too. Look at all the people who go back to Rome or Sparta or the French Revolution or Weimar Germany or whatever to try to push analogies promoting their political views. I'd say no discipline is free from abuse by people who want to abuse it,

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Epicurius posted:

I mean, people politicize history too. Look at all the people who go back to Rome or Sparta or the French Revolution or Weimar Germany or whatever to try to push analogies promoting their political views. I'd say no discipline is free from abuse by people who want to abuse it,

math is pure, but mathematicians are scarcely human

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

math is bullshit, we can't even uncontroversally categorize all numbers yet :colbert:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"Number" is a construct anyways

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Math isn't real.

It was made up as a publicity stunt for A Beautiful Mind (2002)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Math is real but it isn't just about numbers, they're just a particularly interesting special case of broader ideas

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Math is a very useful series of tools, but I don't think it counts as a science in itself.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

indeed, they're an existence closer to the angels of traditional Catholic faith: messengers tasked with spreading a higher Truth on behalf of God, with an intelligence not perfect but certainly approaching perfection

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

nrook posted:

indeed, they're an existence closer to the angels of traditional Catholic faith: messengers tasked with spreading a higher Truth on behalf of God, with an intelligence not perfect but certainly approaching perfection

What no bussy does to a mfer

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My current take on economics-as-a-science was basically shaped by watching the aftermath of the 2008 crash. Every right wing economist on the planet started demanding austerity and predicting that stimulus would destroy everything forever and never work, and were saying outright that if the stimulus package worked at all, it would discredit right-wing economists. Paul Krugman made a blog post saying "This stimulus package is inadequate, I expect anemic growth for the next two years and then we'll probably see GDP at around [y]" .

I said to myself "ok, real world experiment." Two years later GDP was within [y] to a couple decimal places. Krugman was proved at least roughly correct, experimentally.

So that shows 1) economics can have accurate predictive power and 2) it usually doesn't because political factors usually overwhelm the analysis for most economists.

One experiment doesn't show the model to be correct. You would expect atleast one economist to correctly predict GDP even if they were all just making up numbers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Weka posted:

One experiment doesn't show the model to be correct. You would expect atleast one economist to correctly predict GDP even if they were all just making up numbers.

Ehh, there's a clustering effect; predictions weren't equally distributed. That said, sure, it isn't proof, but it sure was an indicator.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

math is bullshit, we can't even uncontroversally categorize all numbers yet :colbert:

Small numbers, big numbers, fake numbers - it isn't that hard.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

someone requested i make this last week and am glad to have an opportunity to spread it

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

steinrokkan posted:

Small numbers, big numbers, fake numbers - it isn't that hard.

Unreal numbers, infinity numbers, just cribbing from game engines really.
Aleph? Is it a number or engine? Ah, screw you it's both.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Strategic Tea posted:

STOP DOING MATH

make me, punk

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If this was found out in the wild spray painted on a wall instead of a computer I’d be interested in learning more.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

Math is a very useful series of tools, but I don't think it counts as a science in itself.

lmao

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Firenze actually banned the use of arabic numerals in 1299 claiming it was too easy to cheat with the new numbers, 1 could be changed to 7 for example.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Is that like Jewish Physics?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

ChubbyChecker posted:

no because the people who don't live in places where they are protected by high level characters get put on orc menus

Futher interesting Tolkein nerdery here. Argues that Orcs actually weren't that big a problem when a Dark Lord wasn't active.

https://www.tor.com/2021/02/23/tolkiens-orcs-bolg-shagrat-and-the-maggot-folk-of-mordor/

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

It's....almost as if those were similar problems by similar movements.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Yeah, pretty funny that somebody would consider math useful

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

A companion piece

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I mean it's clear that economics is a dead-end, that's why Hari Seldon had to come up with psychohistory. Have any economists accurately predicted the end of a giant empire? Check and mate Krugman.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Funny you should mention that, Krugman has always said reading Foundation as a teenager was his impetus to go into economics.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

We can't even agree how many maths there are ffs

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Since this thread has decided to just argue about stuff I say the Roman Empire ended in 476.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

"Rome" is like a championship belt: beat the current Rome and you're the new Rome. Russia got the belt in 1878, lost it to Germany in 1918 who then lost it to France immediately, back to Germany in 1940 and back to Russia in 45. They held it until 1991 when the US won it at the end if the Cold War. It is back in Russian hands since 2016. All hail Russia, the 10th Rome.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I mean... isn't that basically how the Romans did things?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Third Rome is the friends we made along the way.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Afghanistan actually took the Rome belt in the 80s and still holds it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
The real imperial regalia were stolen by the crusaders and subsequently moved to Oak Island hundreds of years later, ergo Canada is the true heir of Rome.

You just wait for season 9 when it will all be confirmed.