Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Luther is a much better DA book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Angry Lobster posted:

Another one of my lovely reviews,

I appreciate these thank you

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Warden posted:

gently caress, the reader sounds like a coked-up sorority girl when voicing Patience Kys.

Is there some contract every narrator signs that they have to give Patience a horrible voice?

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Well Penitent was a wild ride. I'll be mad if it takes five years for Abnett to write the next book.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Plucky Brit posted:

Well Penitent was a wild ride. I'll be mad if it takes five years for Abnett to write the next book.

That insane info reveal at the end. I can't believe GW let him do it but I'm totally here for it.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Chiwie posted:

That insane info reveal at the end. I can't believe GW let him do it but I'm totally here for it.

I won't get to read it for a long rear end time, can you drop it in spoiler tags?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I believe I read somewhere that Abnett said he is already working on the 3rd or will be soon.

Ugh I really want to read Penitent, especially with the lore that we got in Mortis but I'm rereading the full series first and I'm only on Hereticus. I may skip Ravenor, I've read it before but it's been quite a while. Does anybody know where a good plot summary is?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

D-Pad posted:

I believe I read somewhere that Abnett said he is already working on the 3rd or will be soon.

Dan also recently said that the Bequin trilogy isn't going to be the end of the Inquisition stories, he wants to do more characters after that

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Nuclear War posted:

I won't get to read it for a long rear end time, can you drop it in spoiler tags?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I’m normally a big spoiler guy but I’m gonna unbookmark this thread for a lil while until my copy arrives and I get a chance to blitz through it

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Nuclear War posted:

I would highly, highly recommend actually reading it and not clicking on the spoiler below, because the build up is brilliant.

Like seriously, don't click the spoiler, it's a book that rewards you reading it.

The king in yellow is Constantin Valdor. During the book there is speculation by the code breaker they find that the book refers to the name of a lost primarch, who's actions had to be worse than Horus and Logar's in order for him to be wiped from history by the Imperium.

Currently every traitor legion is desperately trying to stop Valador, as are 5 Eldar craftworlds (Eltahec, Ulthwé, Nyatho, Alaitoc, Olhn-Tann) that have given Ravenor a week to fix the problem before they do a suicide run to burn the entire sector to stop him.

Resources wise, Valador has the greals that are weaponized blanks, a clone army of said blanks and possibly an unknown amount of Custodes.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Well drat, that sure was a spoiler. One one hand, I actually kinda feel bad for reading that. OTOH, I haven't read a single Abnett Inquistor book, so good to know now I guess

Wonder if GW will ever acknowledge that in the games. Or what That Guy was doing for the last however many years

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Well drat, that sure was a spoiler. One one hand, I actually kinda feel bad for reading that. OTOH, I haven't read a single Abnett Inquistor book, so good to know now I guess

Wonder if GW will ever acknowledge that in the games. Or what That Guy was doing for the last however many years

Haven't read Abnetts's Inquisitor books? Don't do that to yourself, they are the best 40k fiction written.

Based on your reply to the spoilers, that I haven't read, I can guess who you are referring to and it's definitely related to some stuff that happens in Mortis.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Plucky Brit posted:

:same:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

loving hell, I just finished Penitent.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Chiwie posted:

Abnett has whipped the BL editors into submission and can do whatever the hell he wants.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Penitent is out ? Oh thank God, I've been dying for an excuse to drop Sons of the Hydra like the turd that it is. SotH is a bad book, don't buy it.

e. Oh that cover looks so good.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I enjoyed both Penitent and Pariah, but I think the ‘limiter cuff’ is a dumb device. It turns being a blank from this kind of gothic soul horror curse thing into a useful superpower

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Hell yes I am here for all of Abnett's bullshit

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

von Metternich posted:

I enjoyed both Penitent and Pariah, but I think the ‘limiter cuff’ is a dumb device. It turns being a blank from this kind of gothic soul horror curse thing into a useful superpower

It does jive with the current direction of the setting, though.

Horrible soul-crushing Imperium where invention and creativity are stifled in favor of lighting incense to make arcane, ancient machines work and venerating a corpse enthroned in gold? Nah, new better marines galore, we'll have new necron pylon in 80 years tops, everyone is on the same page!

I always liked blanks as a lore thing because it was a sign the the Imperium would exploit even the most downtrodden and despised of its pieces to keep on rotting a little bit slower. Born with a one-in-a-billion gene that makes your life hell and your parents want to strangle you? We'll brainwash you and lock you into a murderhelmet and use you to hunt witches for us! Few things exemplified the "The biggest sin is failing to serve" mindset like nothing else.

But, um, now it's like diabetes or something. Wear this armband liked to an app on your cell phone and you're mostly fine.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I mean they have psychic limiters so it stands they would be able to make the opposite. I've only seen blank limiters used in Abnett books though, it's not like it's widespread technology. It's pretty frequent that you'll see some kind of tech used in a certain book and nowhere else in the setting. It makes sense considering the size and tech level diversity of the Imperium.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Sephyr posted:

But, um, now it's like diabetes or something. Wear this armband liked to an app on your cell phone and you're mostly fine.

Also have to have insane connections to get one of those armbands. So to be mostly fine have fun toiling under the inquisition, heretical cells that want that same power or be part of a giant criminal group or else you'll get hated by everyone around you for the rest of your life

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
drat it I'm like halfway through the first Ciaphas Cain book and it's good but I really really want to read Pariah and Penitent now ughhhh... guess I just gotta power through.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

drat it I'm like halfway through the first Ciaphas Cain book and it's good but I really really want to read Pariah and Penitent now ughhhh... guess I just gotta power through.

The Cain books should be used as palate cleansers between other books, since they are samey but fun.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I started Penitent last night planning to read a few chapters. Then I noticed it was 1 am and I was halfway through the book and my eyes were getting dry....

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I think my main issue with blanks is its constantly drilled into you how unbelievably rare they are, but it seems like every other person is one when it suits the story. Its not just an abnett thing either

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just headcanon it that there are degrees of blanks just like there are degrees of psychic potential. A true Null blank is extremely rare but then there are blanks more akin to Tau having almost no warp presence rather than having an explicit anti warp emptiness.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 28, 2021

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just headcanon it that there are degrees of blanks just like there are degrees of psychic potential. A true Null blank is extremely rare but then there are blanks more akin to Tau having almost no warp presence.

Yes, there are, the RPGs have expanded that part of the lore, the problem is that many BL authors use the terms pariah, null and blank in a kinda interchangeable way, others don't.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I used that Audible free trial thing to get Penitent and I'm having some difficulty adapting to audiobooks, I have to keep rewinding. :smith:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Angry Lobster posted:

Yes, there are, the RPGs have expanded that part of the lore, the problem is that many BL authors use the terms pariah, null and blank in a kinda interchangeable way, others don't.

I'm gathering that Jurgen is closer to the Jenetia Krole end of the spectrum than most of the Sisters of Silence.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Angry Lobster posted:

Heck, that's been it since 2nd edition. The Culexus tend to be identified by the Black Ships by being "that weird kid who nobody likes" and then the psychics turn up to investigate them and just die.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Arquinsiel posted:

Heck, that's been it since 2nd edition. The Culexus tend to be identified by the Black Ships by being "that weird kid who nobody likes" and then the psychics turn up to investigate them and just die.

Sure, Culexus as pariahs were introduced in their codex back in 2ed, and the more widespread use of blanks outside the temple started with the first Eisenhorn novel. Formal ranks of psychic power (and the negative levels) were more thoroughly fleshed later on in the RPGs suplements (even though they were mentioned in passing in Xenos) and it actually made sense from a lore perspective for several grades of nulls/blanks exist, as Culexus-grade pariahs are supposed to be super rare. It makes sense that the Black Ships snatch nearly all of them as they stand out a lot, as they can't really function in normal society. People like Bequin or Jurgen are one step below that grade, and they can pass as relatively normal human beings.

Now that I think about it, how the Imperium even tests a pariah/null grade? Putting them in a room full of different grades of psykers and counting how many of them explode instantly?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
#warhammer40k #imperium #synthwave
IMPERIVMWAVE | Behemoth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2ZeDBXXY_Y

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Angry Lobster posted:

Sure, Culexus as pariahs were introduced in their codex back in 2ed, and the more widespread use of blanks outside the temple started with the first Eisenhorn novel. Formal ranks of psychic power (and the negative levels) were more thoroughly fleshed later on in the RPGs suplements (even though they were mentioned in passing in Xenos) and it actually made sense from a lore perspective for several grades of nulls/blanks exist, as Culexus-grade pariahs are supposed to be super rare. It makes sense that the Black Ships snatch nearly all of them as they stand out a lot, as they can't really function in normal society. People like Bequin or Jurgen are one step below that grade, and they can pass as relatively normal human beings.

Now that I think about it, how the Imperium even tests a pariah/null grade? Putting them in a room full of different grades of psykers and counting how many of them explode instantly?
Presumably they put you on a little trolly and wheel you closer to the Standard Grade Test Astropath and watch for blood to start coming out of his ears?

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Angry Lobster posted:

People like Bequin or Jurgen are one step below that grade, and they can pass as relatively normal human beings.

It is strange in retrospect that Bequin was a call girl when Eisenhorn meets her. Who planned the high class noble party/orgy and decided to invite the girl that makes your skin crawl by being in the same room?

(There’s also that one blank in Saturnine that is semi-invisible which seems to be unique)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Do high-rank pariahs actually kill psykers by proximity? I thought they just shut down their powers and made them extremely uncomfortable as a result.

The blanks in Eisenhorn / Cain stories may be of the weaker kind, but I just finished reading Avenging Son and even the Sisters of Silence don't banish daemons or kill Chaos sorcerers by sheer proximity, they just weaken them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Mechanically they do, yes. It was the preferred method for dealing with Ulthwe Seer Councils back in 3rd edition. Just get your Culexus within X" and watch them fail leadership tests and die.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Do high-rank pariahs actually kill psykers by proximity? I thought they just shut down their powers and made them extremely uncomfortable as a result.

The blanks in Eisenhorn / Cain stories may be of the weaker kind, but I just finished reading Avenging Son and even the Sisters of Silence don't banish daemons or kill Chaos sorcerers by sheer proximity, they just weaken them.

Have you read watchers of the throne? The sisters are shown fighting chaos. They strip demons of their aura turning them into almost mortal beings, which are a lot easier to kill as you are not being driven mad just being close to them.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

A weak blank can be overwhelmed by a powerful psyker so they probably test them with psykers to see what it takes to top their blank powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Based on your reply to the spoilers, that I haven't read, I can guess who you are referring to and it's definitely related to some stuff that happens in Mortis.

I haven't read Mortis, and I haven't read any Horus Heresy past Mechanicus, which I had just started when Penitent came out. How much will I appreciate all this more having read Mortis? I have a condensed reading list for the heresy that I might finally be motivated to get through.