Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Sally posted:

when a game is nearly perfect, its flaws are more obvious

That's why everyone hated anthem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

A prime example of that effect is breath of the wild, when its great its really really great, so when its not it just smashes you in the face with that fact.

Also on the topic of dark souls and respecs remnant was soulsly and had a way better level system, where levels came at the same pace after a certain point and even could be found as books lying around, but all levels did was increase capped traits, so you could use basicly any weapon and also had to diversify because you can only put 20 points into stuff like hp or gun damage.

Since this is the dragging down thread though wow does the game need a way to force certain level peices to generate, im still not convinced any real person has the shell armor considering you need a series of individually rare things to spawn and it has to happen three times.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
speaking of perfect games...

Turok 2's Joshua Fireseed doesn't run as fast as Turok 1's Tal'Set.

thankfully the mod community for the Remasters is on top of it and you can fix it so Joshua goes faster than his predecessor :getin:

though to layer on the little things dragging it down, the gazelle speed mod isn't easily searchable so the last couple times i've reinstalled i wound up spendong half an hour trying to find the files online

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Playing Magicka 2 with some friends and while it’s not a little thing the ‘wet’ status is really annoying.

If you’re wet and try to use lightening it’ll zap you for a lot of damage and it’s really easy to miss the fact that you’re wet in the middle of combat.

There’s a costume that makes your immune to getting wet and I just don’t see any of us taking it off because being wet is such a pain in the rear end.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yakuza: Like a Dragon is rad as hell, but Kasuga handles like a shopping cart. Getting the angle right to pick up an item or open a chest can be a pain in the rear end.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BiggerBoat posted:

What's crazy about this thread to me, 1500 pages in, is just how many really popular and awesome games keep getting brought up repeatedly.

Control, Witcher 3, Fallout, Red Dead Redemption, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, FInal Fantasy, Metal Gear, Resident Evil just get the ever loving Christ beat out of them but the more I look at it I realize that's because those games kick tremendous rear end so way more people play them since they're mostly very good and players just find time to nitpick poo poo.

What I'm saying is that this thread has done a great job finding little things that drag games down.

Kind of, yeah. If someone really doesn't like a game they're probably not going to keep playing it and, instead, just put it down or get a refund. So you either have to really hate a game, or like it, to keep playing it in spite of the flaws that annoy you. It's a weird thing because a lot of people online tend to assume that because someone is talking about the aspects of a game they dislike, they must hate the game when really it's probably worse if someone never talks about a game they played because that probably means it was boring as hell and nothing about it stood out.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
And a game that's just boring is worse than a game that's bad. A bad game can still have good qualities, or provide entertainment in ways it wasn't meant to. Like Sonic 06.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Persona 5 Strikers:

The healing system feels a bit pointless. Unlike earlier Persona games there's no reason not to leave the dungeon at any time to heal up, it's purely a self-imposed challenge (except that you have to sit through two loading screens to go out and back in).

It would have been a lot more fun to just full-heal and full-restore after every battle, and let me switch characters in and out on the fly. Fights can be harder to compensate.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Outriders free demo: the drat proximity mine that techomancers start with will attach to any surface. Including cover, ceilings, walls, and doorway frames.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I loved everything about control except playing it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bewilderment posted:

Persona 5 Strikers:

The healing system feels a bit pointless. Unlike earlier Persona games there's no reason not to leave the dungeon at any time to heal up, it's purely a self-imposed challenge (except that you have to sit through two loading screens to go out and back in).

It would have been a lot more fun to just full-heal and full-restore after every battle, and let me switch characters in and out on the fly. Fights can be harder to compensate.

The persona games absolutely have zero respect for the player’s time and I thought an action version of it might actually be paced better but nope, there’s dumb bullshit like that to make sure that everything takes forever because it took forever in the earlier games, too.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Outriders free demo: the drat proximity mine that techomancers start with will attach to any surface. Including cover, ceilings, walls, and doorway frames.

It was extremely rude of that demo to show me all sorts of crazy space monsters in the opening logos and then make me shoot generic human soldiers around waist high walls for the whole time. Like, for all of Destiny's flaws, at least the dudes shooting at you are like spider pirates and floating wizards and poo poo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crowetron posted:

It was extremely rude of that demo to show me all sorts of crazy space monsters in the opening logos and then make me shoot generic human soldiers around waist high walls for the whole time. Like, for all of Destiny's flaws, at least the dudes shooting at you are like spider pirates and floating wizards and poo poo.

I'm pretty sure that the area covered by the demo is just the starting town - no sign of the big city built around the fallen starship in all the trailers and the game's opening cinematic - but I wanted more weird poo poo than I got, just the first anomaly storm and the kaiju in one sidequest.

It wasn't bad exactly, but fascists versus baby eating terrorists while everyone is dressed like Mad Max extras is not a thrilling introduction.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

rodbeard posted:

Pretty early on, I turned on immortality and one hit kills in the accessibility menu, to turn Control into a walking sim where you sometimes have to click on red men.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I actually rented it from gamefly and returned it shortly before they added the difficulty sliders.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The persona games absolutely have zero respect for the player’s time and I thought an action version of it might actually be paced better but nope, there’s dumb bullshit like that to make sure that everything takes forever because it took forever in the earlier games, too.

Persona/SMT is one of my favorite game series, and this is something that's even put me off sometimes. The big issue (that actually kinda surprised me) was actually how conservative they can be with save points. They often only let you save in specific areas, and P5 kinda only pretended it got better about that; you had the save option in the menu, but it was only really available at the times where previous Persona games would've given you save points anyway.

I don't recall having the same problem with SMTIV, so hopefully SMTV will be pretty good about it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Cleretic posted:

Persona/SMT is one of my favorite game series, and this is something that's even put me off sometimes. The big issue (that actually kinda surprised me) was actually how conservative they can be with save points. They often only let you save in specific areas, and P5 kinda only pretended it got better about that; you had the save option in the menu, but it was only really available at the times where previous Persona games would've given you save points anyway.

I don't recall having the same problem with SMTIV, so hopefully SMTV will be pretty good about it.

Another thing that became worse with the modern Persona games, on the PlayStation they had save anywhere.
:goonsay:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm finally giving DS2:SOTFS a try and everything is so boring. I'm finishing up Lost Bastille but there's just endless trash mobs that are not difficult to fight, but there's many of them so you have to kite them all the time. The levels are big empty and completely devoid of the darksoulsy charm.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hel posted:

Another thing that became worse with the modern Persona games, on the PlayStation they had save anywhere.
:goonsay:

In P2:EP. Revelations: Persona had save points.

The Japanese version had two main quests. The first was the game that came over stateside. The other, the Snow Queen quest, was nixed from the American version because it had a high school student turn into Mara, a giant penis monster. It was reported to have 10 hours between save points.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Ghost of Tsushima is awesome but it's dumb that you have a load of unique and cool outfits that you can mix and match, but only one of them (Traveller's Clothes) has the built in "detect collectibles" aspect. So it's really annoying having to keep going into the menu to switch to it once I've cleared a village of enemies.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
And they didn’t even have preset loadouts you could save for the longest time, so if you wanted to switch to your archery or stealth set you had to redo all your charms individually

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Infamous First Light: Half the game takes place in the boring hologram fighting arena.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mamkute posted:

Infamous First Light: Half the game takes place in the boring hologram fighting arena.

Infamous First Light: it has been almost 7 years since it came out so it doesn't look like they're going to make any more games in the series.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wasn't first light the stand alone sequel made out of assets that already existed?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

OutOfPrint posted:

In P2:EP. Revelations: Persona had save points.

The Japanese version had two main quests. The first was the game that came over stateside. The other, the Snow Queen quest, was nixed from the American version because it had a high school student turn into Mara, a giant penis monster. It was reported to have 10 hours between save points.

Snow queen probably just got cut for time constraints, you can access it with an action replay and part of it is already translated, but the game went through localization in like 6 months or something so translating a balls crushingly difficult bonus quest probably didn't seem like a great idea.

I doubt it was cut because Mara being a penis monster considering the final boss is a teenage girl turning into a penis/vagina/cocoon thing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lobok posted:

The targeted slam is also good, especially since it's not limited to slamming into the ground. You can use it to crash into airborne enemies or to charge upwards to get to places you otherwise couldn't with your levitation height.

They patched out being able to slam upwards.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gaius Marius posted:

Snow queen probably just got cut for time constraints, you can access it with an action replay and part of it is already translated, but the game went through localization in like 6 months or something so translating a balls crushingly difficult bonus quest probably didn't seem like a great idea.

I doubt it was cut because Mara being a penis monster considering the final boss is a teenage girl turning into a penis/vagina/cocoon thing.

The Revelations: Persona localization was... overenthusiastic and under-resourced. They spent a whole lot of the time and money they did have rewriting and redrawing a bunch of assets to set this extremely specific Japanese game in a nondescript American town. When they hit limitations, it was the Snow Queen quest that got cut, probably because its nature as a sidequest (albeit a loving huge one) meant that you could cut it out without any structural issues.

With hindsight we can say that they probably would've had the resources for the Snow Queen if they'd done a more direct translation closer to how the modern Persona games are. But people didn't really know that was an option at the time; this was the nineties, common wisdom was still to claim these contemporary Japanese stories were set in America and to call rice balls jelly donuts. It wasn't until the 00s that more faithful translations started happening as a standard, and in gaming a big part of that actually was Persona being the first one to run into 'actually relocating everything to America is loving hard and expensive'.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

rodbeard posted:

The only weak part of Control for me was the bosses. The regular encounters were good fun. Fighting with just the gun was lame, but unlocking Launch cracked the game open, and by the time you can Levitate you turn into a flying death goddess and it owns. I think Control is one of those games that rewards being able to keep track of lots of poo poo happening, which I enjoy a lot. Jumping, floating, tearing out concrete to smash one dude, unloading a few bullets into another, landing, grabbing a rocket out of midair and then throwing it back at the guy who fired it to kill him and his buddies is loving badass

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

John Murdoch posted:

They patched out being able to slam upwards.

What? Then how do you get to certain item boxes?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Len posted:

Wasn't first light the stand alone sequel made out of assets that already existed?

It's not a sequel, it takes place before Second Son happens. But I would buy the "made from pre-existing aspects" bit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Bravely Default and Bravely Second approach the NPCs that have a job you can get an Asterisk from as just being that job through and through. A good example is Merchant; you fight a business tycoon to get the job, but he remains a merchant before and after the fight, doing merchant things and who you have to oppose as a moneyed man.

Bravely Default 2 goes in a different direction: instead, an Asterisk gives the NPC the job in the same way you use them: they put on the outfit and get the job's powers, and when you take the Asterisk afterwards they lose it. That does allow for more fun character designs, but it does mean that it's generally less exciting when you go up against someone who has an interesting story role, because you probably won't be getting that from them.

The guy that gives you the Monk job early on has a really fun design for it, and Monk is all well and good as a job. But I couldn't help but be a little disappointed that I didn't instead get his actual, in-story occupation, because I would've been way more excited to equip the Prime Minister job.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lobok posted:

my guess is "you don't" because there were a few I absolutely could not figure out how to reach and knowing you used to be able to slam upwards now explains why I think they were placed there

I'll just have to live without the precious +5 money received when taking melee damage mod they contained

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lobok posted:

You can still get to the item boxes.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Also why does no digital store have Stubbs the Zombie on sale!? :mad:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbkVUih7rqs&t=693s
(Timestamped)

Oh nice, Stubbs the Zombie is getting a re-release (but not a remaster it seems) mid-March. I hope they manage to figure the licensing for the soundtrack as it was suitably weird and the game would be less without it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBB6BE9A5A1AF76C3
:cool:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Max Payne 3 has this issue where sometimes because of the animation/physics system Max will shoot at the ceiling instead of where you’re aiming. It would at least be obvious but there’s a few guns in the game with red dot sights you can aim down, and the sight still shows where you’re aiming even though the gun is pointed at the ceiling.

Also laser sights somehow give guns insane recoil for some reason and delete the reticle, but at least you can turn them off (even though this is never explained).

Still a great game 9 years later, I plowed through the whole thing for the first time in years yesterday.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Max Payne 3 has this issue where sometimes because of the animation/physics system Max will shoot at the ceiling instead of where you’re aiming. It would at least be obvious but there’s a few guns in the game with red dot sights you can aim down, and the sight still shows where you’re aiming even though the gun is pointed at the ceiling.

Also laser sights somehow give guns insane recoil for some reason and delete the reticle, but at least you can turn them off (even though this is never explained).

Still a great game 9 years later, I plowed through the whole thing for the first time in years yesterday.

I have this "gamer" monitor that can overlay a dot in the middle of your screen. It made this game in particular super easy, as you could just bead on a dude and pop from cover just for a milisecond to dome him.

The laser sights are actually lying.

But yeah holy poo poo it's great.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lobok posted:

The one full blown secret that "required" it now forces you to gently caress around with stacking vending machines on top of each other and it sucks. I honestly don't recall many other boxes being noticeably out of reach, but I'm sure I missed a number of the really, really hidden optional ones.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vic posted:

I have this "gamer" monitor that can overlay a dot in the middle of your screen. It made this game in particular super easy, as you could just bead on a dude and pop from cover just for a milisecond to dome him.

The laser sights are actually lying.

But yeah holy poo poo it's great.

That’s what the reticle usually is anyway, so you’re basically always a lunatic wrecking ball of death just point shooting perfect headshots at criminals and dirty cops alike, unless Max has a laser sight on and then you can’t hit poo poo. The recoil is the weirdest part, though, like it doesn’t exist at all until you have a laser sight. :psyduck:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The card game in Bravely Default 2 has you beat an opponent way too many times to get all of their cards. I don’t want to beat this guy five times to get a sixty point card that I will probably never use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

That’s what the reticle usually is anyway, so you’re basically always a lunatic wrecking ball of death just point shooting perfect headshots at criminals and dirty cops alike, unless Max has a laser sight on and then you can’t hit poo poo. The recoil is the weirdest part, though, like it doesn’t exist at all until you have a laser sight. :psyduck:

Yeah what im saying is the "recoil" youre experiencing is the laser wiggling around but the bullets actually go in the middle of your screen. So you're trying to aim with the laser but the bullets go where the bead would be.