Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
My last post was a bit harsh, so let me be more fair. While there is a lot of toxicity in the game, it's also incredibly fun when you're playing with a group of like-minded people. One of my best experiences was teaming up with a competent and chill rando for a joyride through Colonial backlines for an hour before linking up with another group that baited and ambushed a halftrack and light tank.

Delacroix makes a good point about finding a front, and that applies just as much to allied players. You can oftentimes accomplish just as much with cleverness and a few magazines as you can joining with the zerg (and sometimes more, because a lot of big pushes burn through a shitton of materials/supplies before burning out). Generally, I've found that lower-to-mid rank players tend to be much more agreeable and excited to just team up and accomplish something. Just don't trust them to protect your shiny new tank from a nutjob with a couple of sticky grenades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Ok, you're new you wanna go to the front and you wanna make a difference, right?

Ok heres what you do, spaqn at your desired front. Graba basic rifle and two rifle mags, a bandage if you're feeling feisty, head to gunshots

Step 2 don't get shot, find the line of where your guys are meeting their guys, back away a little and proceed to the money making part

Step 3, loot loot loot

You'll find PLENTY of backpacks around here and you're gonna look through them

You'll find anything from 1 heavily loaded up gas grenade to bmats and machine guns, stash what you want but you're getting bmats, the things that look like a metal bar, got at least 10? Thats some sandbags you can build to fortify your immediate position.

Have 25? Thats a chest to stockpile immediate supplies you scavenged nearby (remember those nades and mgs?)

If you're able to find a shovel then congrats you've upgraded to intermediate levels of impact especially if you have the bmats to upgrade your bunkers

You've done it, you've fortified and/or entrenched your position for your entire faction while stockpiling supplies for those smart enough to know how to use the tools you've provided

It might not seem like much but it can make the difference between being forced back due to lack of cover and being safely tucked away in a trench during an arty barrage

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Just make sure you don't overload your pack, as the heavier it gets the slower you get. If you are on the front line dancing bullets or grenades keep only the essentials.

Also new players check your map, oh and get in the habit of walking on the sides of the road.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

On the warden side callhan’s legion is a large active group that will ban all Nazis or other creeps almost instantly in my experience so they’re pretty normal, though tactically incompetent like a lot of large groups.

One time while wandering around with another new player a couple guys rolled up in a truck and was like hop in we’re doing naval poo poo and it was awesome, the four of us basically caused a whole front to collapse by hitting the right couple of bases. So there are lots of a really cool people but it’s about as toxic as any average FPS community.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The description of the scavenger loop is true. It has that Kenshi loop feel to it. You will get shot because you spent too long transferring medic supplies into your inventory. You cannot use them on yourself.

Once I just let a dude die while he was down from a stray bullet near the encampment, I knew he would have just charged in and gifted his 20 rifle clips directly to the enemy. I took his wrench because he was not to be trusted with it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ironically the biggest threat, pubbies with full pouches that die.

Those beach landings so wasteful.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

Those beach landings so wasteful.

I might play soon, but I will say whenever I went out to a fight I pretty much always took nothing because like part way into the battle area I'd find corpses of people loaded down with more weapons and ammo they could ever use

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

FOXHOLE - The road is paved with well everything in that newbies backpack, loot it.

Also I am the EU time zone GOON invite dude, ping me in the discord PM in the forums and see if I can help you get in.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
okay is there actually a consensus on what side we're playing

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Its not delivery, its de-newbie

Seriously though, finding those loot pinatas are pure bliss when you're scavenging, its like an amazon delivery

Also join the goon horde, our numbers are swelling

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

eonwe posted:

okay is there actually a consensus on what side we're playing

hi eonwe! :cheersbird: I just joined our group in the wardens tonight. I don't think we can change side once we pick it right?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Amazing Member posted:

Its not delivery, its de-newbie

Seriously though, finding those loot pinatas are pure bliss when you're scavenging, its like an amazon delivery

Also join the goon horde, our numbers are swelling

It's great if you feel guilty about taking too much. And if you die, not your fault you inherited that jerks gear.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

We’ve been Warden for the last few wars

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
excellent wardens it is

also hi pigbottom!

im out of town tonight but will start playing tomorrow.

think we could get a group going on Monday?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also if you're solo and really bored, you can just mine scrap and take it to the refinery and make public bmats

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
If anyone has any questions about the game or wants help I will probably be on about 3 hrs. from this message. Also I super pinky swear to update the OP soonish.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Got a small squad going with some goons tonight, was great fun like old times. Did some raiding, put up a tower or two, held and secured a side road from all things but a set of sand bags facing our way we could not take down.

I really do dig medic, chilling back and watching the chaos unfold is kind of chilling. Did not encounter anything toxic over voip, though a pubbie opened fire early and got half of us killed in a Benny Hill chase with an awkward WW1 looking open top scout tank.

We called it a night after a bit the amount of players slamming the game I think is making some of the firearm range funky but we had fun.

We should try and at least get together in decent numbers on the weekend if possible again.

eonwe posted:

also if you're solo and really bored, you can just mine scrap and take it to the refinery and make public bmats

I am a sergeant and I only got my rank helping goons a few years just doing Logistics.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

eonwe posted:

excellent wardens it is

also hi pigbottom!

im out of town tonight but will start playing tomorrow.

think we could get a group going on Monday?

I'll probably be around Monday. Today was my first day and I had a good time so I'll probably keep going.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Got a small squad going with some goons tonight, was great fun like old times. Did some raiding, put up a tower or two, held and secured a side road from all things but a set of sand bags facing our way we could not take down.

I really do dig medic, chilling back and watching the chaos unfold is kind of chilling. Did not encounter anything toxic over voip, though a pubbie opened fire early and got half of us killed in a Benny Hill chase with an awkward WW1 looking open top scout tank.

We called it a night after a bit the amount of players slamming the game I think is making some of the firearm range funky but we had fun.

We should try and at least get together in decent numbers on the weekend if possible again.

I am a sergeant and I only got my rank helping goons a few years just doing Logistics.

It was real fun. thanks guys!

Now that I got a bit more into it, I want to try medic and logistic, I'm pretty good at mind-numbing virtual work and just riding a truck back and forth sounds fun to just turn off the brain and chill.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

MVP tonight was me shooting at a sandbag wall with a panzerfaust followed by completely missing everything including me, the sandbag wall, my teammates, and friendly structures. :downs:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Some things never change, like watching pubbies awkwardly driving lorries/trucks like their drunk, people delivering almost everythng including the gas masks but not the filters and the enemy channeling cold war stereotypes of the human wave attack the drop of a hat.

It's always good to get friendly pubbie support, several dudes stuck around and helped us hold the gap. One even 'found' the NotLewis gun and did great support.

A pro tip for anyone dipping in, turn off the chat channel sound effect because that thing gets irritating fast.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

SeanBeansShako posted:

pubbies awkwardly driving lorries/trucks like their drunk

tbf i only do logi when im drunk

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Last night we were told a while ago new players were fooled into thinking carrying shirts with them would somehow grant them an extra life.

Cue many corpses of Colonial and Warden players clutching singular shirts.

Hawke
May 1, 2008
Gotta have a spare for when you get blood on it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

Last night we were told a while ago new players were fooled into thinking carrying shirts with them would somehow grant them an extra life.

Cue many corpses of Colonial and Warden players clutching singular shirts.

that is a very old ongoing joke that definitely still fools people

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Hawke posted:

Gotta have a spare for when you get mud on it

Ftfy,

Speaking of i haven't seen much weather effects apart from light rain getting me dirty in trenches. Wheres the blizzard at, clapfoot?

I'm ready for the pain of in game hypothermia

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I thought field hospitals were for immersion but the bodies continuously piled up for a few hours. Carried off three collies during the deadlands fighting. :toot:

I initially drove up to Iron Passage delivering bmats but ended building foxholes, setting up proper sandbag wall + box positions and removing wire & poorly placed trucks because pubbies are mouthbreathing idiots.

e: And all I wanted to do today was make and use a scout tank. Six hours Lost to the Zone :cripes:

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 1, 2021

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Im smoking on that poo poo that made Callahan strip his clothes off

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

This week I will be trying to get some EU action going on friday nights or the weekend, we've got a decent amount of NA people waking up from the long early access hiberation but things seem very quiet on the EU front.

Will be attempting it around 8PM Greenwich/9PM EU time unless if anyone is interested they want it earlier.

I am hoping it is a good enough we'll get some NA overlap with some to help out.

I know to some they are old hat but a STEAM Group might help in tandem with the Discord now.

Game is on sale for two more days now!

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
The tanks in the Battle of Spitrocks were running out of fuel tonight and Marban Hollow had zero fuel trucks so I went fucken logi psycho mode, built 3 with my own hands at Port of Rime, shipped them in a freighter across the entire east of the map, filled one of em completely up at Maiden's and drove it down into battle. It took like 2 hours and nobody even tossed me a pity commend. But I did my duty and that's enough.

Next time I'll join the goon squad where maybe somebody will appreciate me

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

No matter what goal I had in mind starting up foxhole, I always get sucked into the logi blackhole. I planned on making grenades and mortar shells today and ended up maintaining seven mines across two maps.

The amount of logi I do the devs might as well set my pool of commends to infinite; I'll throw them at any goon I come across. Long gone are the days of giving them away twenty at a time. :(

e: if you really want to get those brownie points, submitting a large quantity of crates to a base will cause it to show up to nearby players and prompt them to hand over a commend.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Mar 2, 2021

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Some content for the OP.

quote:

A BRIEF GUIDE TO THE EQUIPMENT OF FOXHOLE

This game has a lot of weapons and gadgets to play with and can be a little bit overwhelming for the first time player booting it up, as I imagine you don't want the scenario to be yelled at for wasting something or not understanding how your gear works before your soldier gets turned into paste by whatever just killed you.

So here is a very brief and to the point guide with those starting out.

HAMMER: This is used for mining salvage when doing logistics, as well as repairing vehicles and with basic materiels (BMATS) building things. Very light and you spawn with one.

SLEDGE HAMMER: The tech'd upgrade of previous, used for mining compoments out of rechs for technology tree upgrades, harvesting sulfur and also ensures a much faster collection of salvage than the hammer. Slightly heavy to carry.

WRENCH: Used to unlock non squad locked vehicles for your use, as well as disarming AT mines, traps and taking down barbed wire. Light to carry.

BINOCULARS: When equipped doubles the seeing distance for you by two screens. Great for scouting and spotting for artillery. Light.

SHOVEL: Use this bad boy if you want to help double down and dig it for building up the new bunkers and trenches. Slightly heavy.

RADIO: Very important, for offense and defense. Carrying one ensures your map reports refresh every few minutes IF YOUR FACTION HAS THE RADIO TOWERS UP. Very light.

RADIO BACKPACK: Even better than a radio. It records and reports map intel around the ones wearing this, essentially you are a squishy radio tower. Updates the game map every three minutes. A Squad mate with binos can also use it for late game artillery/missle fire? Midlly heavy,

GAS MASK AND FILTERS: Stops you from dying when exposed after several seconds to gas grenades. Very useful if you need to squat in a trench or Foxhole. Without out you die. Filters are not optional. Light and if in stock always reccomended.

BANDAGES: If your soldier is midlly injured and bleeding out this stops death. Suggested carrying at least two if you can. Super fluffy light, It is gauze.

FIRST AID KID: Holds ten bandages you take seperately from the pool, stops bleeding and cleans up the sauce from your lovely powder blue uniform. Mildly light. Turns the bandages in player inventory into ten healing charges that can be topped up by holding onto more bandages.

TRAUMA KIT AND BLOOD PLASMA VIAL: These two go together and if a medic is quick enough prevents death from the bleed out stage. Like the First Aid kit must be equipped to use and over the body of the dying soldier. Kit is slightly heavy while the vials are very light but a revive uses one up.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 2, 2021

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Can you add something about build and upgrade modes on hammers/shovels?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I've not done building or logistics in two years sadly, still getting to grips again with the game. MRE has some stuff in the OP that needs some tweaking when he's got the time.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Pic from a goon session a few days ago, we held the road near this choke point for a while:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Just something quick for the OP!

quote:

How do I change my gender and skin tone!

Simply approach one of the barrack huts and press E! a window will pop up.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 3, 2021

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

I DID IT! OP & 2nd post updated ! :suicide:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's a good op

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Here's a video that highlights one of the products of the recent implementation of faction asymmetry in the game - the oddly named but incredibly well received and loved King Spire scout class tank ! This WARDEN ONLY light tank which looks like a :11tea:-pot has the 12.7 HMG off of the Half-Track, can do radio/radar things on the move like the LUV, has great gas mileage and maneuverability and since its classed as a tank it is highly resistant to small arms fire. This perfect storm of aspects has resulted in much :hawaaaafap: :asoiaf: and :stonklol: from the Warden side and we're deploying these things as fast as we can make them. Of course this has unleashed a torrent of :aaaaa: and :argh: from the Colonial side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5r8KdaYhfg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The scout tank is to tanks what the jeep is to trucks. A very excellent offroad vehicle that runs people over.

It's incredibly unfair I can't crate and reserve both. :colbert: