Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Boogalo posted:

It's posted in our local private group by a person people know so it does seem to be legit. The big thing I'll ask is why he got a new bike. If it was to switch to road/gravel then its probably pristine. Looked up on facebook he's a super lanky dude so its at least not been beat on by someone like me :sun:

If you have good reason to believe it's legit and it fits you, I would absolutely jump on tha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Partial Octopus posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I got my build pretty dialed in at this point. 90% sure I'm going to go with a medium. SLX + XT shifter, ibis hub carbon rims. Leaning towards Fox suspension but has anyone ridden the DVO? I'm not sure if the Fox upgrade is worth it for me. I'm generally a set it and forget it kinda person when it comes to my suspension. Occasionally I'll change the rebound based on the trail but thats about it.

Well, once I finish building this and the snow melts, I can let you know my thoughts on the topaz. But I wouldn’t wait around.

Ridewrapped it today. I’ll start assembling this week I guess.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

If the clashing of colors bothers you like it does me, consider maybe upgrading to the x2 for that reason, or getting grey frame.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Boogalo posted:

This thing popped up in the local group, gonna go take a look at it in the morning. Anything I should super look out for? Price seems ok-ish. ~2k under what a 2021 carbon would cost if you could actually find one, plus spares. About the cost of an alloy one.

Is this dumb? It looks ok, plus it's purple. I've not been riding long enough for my fat rear end to notice differences in suspension as long as you can air it up enough to not bottom out all the time. My other bike is a roscoe 8 in ML so I think this'll fit too but be a little bigger and still ok.

I think it's a pretty good price, and even so, that NX still might feel like a let down. But at least you can get upgrade parts with the money "saved."

Steve French posted:

If the clashing of colors bothers you like it does me, consider maybe upgrading to the x2 for that reason, or getting grey frame.

Break out the sharpie.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Ripmo af this year had a very roarnge frame color. I'm stoked to not be mismatched blue

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Ended up ordering my Ripmo today. Went with M blue, SLX, Fox Factory, Ibis hub carbon wheels. ETA is mid-June. Hopefully it doesn't get delayed.

Actually managed to find it at a shop that was actually helpful and offered a cancellation policy. Another shop I went to wasn't sure if they could get the build I wanted. They wanted a 25% deposit on the bike which was non-refundable, even if they ended up not being able to get the correct build. Insane.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

drat, that's online review worthy. Just wasting people's time.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Not offering a refund on deposits when nobody can really guarantee delivery is insanity.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
probably a sign of a shop struggling

Hoping the shop gets my new bike in this week...

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Eejit posted:

Ripmo af this year had a very roarnge frame color. I'm stoked to not be mismatched blue

There’s no mismatched blue, it’s just that some of the hardware bits on the shock are a sort of... metallic chartreuse? It clashes a bit in a subtle way that it wouldn’t with a grey frame. Not a big deal and not sure if I would have bothered spending extra for the fox x2 to avoid it. Personally would still take the blue over the grey even with those accents, and also happy to have gotten the carbon frame now that I realize that unlike the DV9 (and the Ripmo AF), it has internal channels for running housing!!! (I know this isn’t uncommon, but is a nice surprise after not having that for my last build.

I finished putting Ridewrap on the frame. If you are a perfectionist without a lot of patience and fine motor control, I would recommend against doing it yourself.

But now the kids get to help with the rest of it and they’re stoked.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That's super cute! In the second photo it looks like you're showing your son how to keep a pack of smokes rolled into your sleeve which is pretty cool.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Homie I'm calling the shop tomorrow to ask if they can ride wrap it for me. I ain't got that kind of patience. Also your build looks sick

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Had a great challenging ride yesterday, tackled a LOT of very steep stuff as well as a few big chutes like this one:

Obviously pictures don't do it justice, but you can see my riding buddy for scale at the top. Looking down on it before dropping in is quite freaky but it's super fun when you do it. Next up will be plucking up the courage to do the drop in with the overhang on the right.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Aphex- posted:

Had a great challenging ride yesterday, tackled a LOT of very steep stuff as well as a few big chutes like this one:

Obviously pictures don't do it justice, but you can see my riding buddy for scale at the top. Looking down on it before dropping in is quite freaky but it's super fun when you do it. Next up will be plucking up the courage to do the drop in with the overhang on the right.

just send it, OP

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Aphex- posted:

This looks steep in the photo so it must be a wall in reality. Nice.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Aphex- posted:

Intellectually I know that really all you have to do is stay balanced and just drop right down it and keep the bike steady and straight, but dammed if it's not freaky when things are that steep

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Oh 100%, it took a couple of run ins to finally do it, such a mental game.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Looks like last night might have been the end of the fatbike season in Manitoba. Above freezing all week and up to 9c on the weekend. Got an invite to go ride with a bunch of folks last night at one of our local single track loops to end the season.

And what a good season it was

The crew that organize fatbike races in the normal times did a Ride Guide, which is basically 'go ride here during this time period and post on Strava for props and maybe swag'. I ended up on the North Gate Trails just outside Riding Mountain National Park when the weather was a balmy 4c and got to ride in nothing but a vest and a base layer all weekend. There are micro cabins at the trailhead you can rent so I snagged one so I had a crash pad and my wife had a launching point to go ice fishing somewhere away from home.

The perfect size for people who are going out there to ride but small enough nobody's going to rent them to just sit around for the weekend drinking in the forest.

The trails themselves are some punchy climbs and fast rollers up and down a ravine.

There's also a wicked jump line with some wood features but it wasn't groomed for the winter.

Did a lap of the marked race course the first day then spent a ton of time just exploring the first day. Ended up riding past sunset and chase a bunch of deer up and down the ravine.

The next morning I had a goal; Beat Trent. Trent is the guy who was always in 1st or 2nd last year in our race category, while I was mostly stuck in 3rd. I did a lap of the race loop after warming up by riding up and down a really boring split XC ski and snowshoe trail that heads into the park itself. The entire time I was looking at this ravine thinking 'this trail sucks but this ravine is prime for actual MTB trails'

And whadda ya know it's already flagged for a bunch of loops, they're just waiting for funding and it's supposedly coming this spring :getin:

Then I did my lap of the race loop, ended up 13 seconds behind Trent, ripped all the heavy poo poo off my bike and did a 2nd lap and beat him by over a minute. I was hoping he'd go back out this weekend and kick my rear end but he wheeled his bike into the shop for some repairs during the week and only has time to ride local until after the melt.

This place owns. Fatbikes own. It's gonna be even more fun this summer on my hardtail.

For one of the flattest places on Earth there's a surprising amount of MTB being developed in this province.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

EvilJoven posted:

The perfect size for people who are going out there to ride but small enough nobody's going to rent them to just sit around for the weekend drinking in the forest.

why not both?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh definitely. Many beers and a whole shitload of Kahlua was enjoyed that weekend.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Steve French posted:

Well, once I finish building this and the snow melts, I can let you know my thoughts on the topaz. But I wouldn’t wait around.

Ridewrapped it today. I’ll start assembling this week I guess.

:gizz:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Hey Goons, I was thinking about getting this Polygon Premier 5 to see if I like mountain biking. Seems roughly equivalent to a Trek Marlin 6. My first step above a wal mart bike.

https://www.bikesonline.com/2021-polygon-premier-5-grey-lemon-27.5-inch-mounta

Im in Louisiana so theres a number of cross country bike trails around but the terrain is fairly flattish.

Anyone think this is a mistake? I have no idea if trail biking is something I'll really like a lot because Ive never done it, so I'm hesitant to spend more money. But if I buy a less expensive bike, am I sabotaging my experience?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I haven't actually tried it but I've been told that shifting a 2x drivetrain is going to annoy the gently caress out of you, that's one thing that jumped out at me that could significantly worsen your experience.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
People ran 2x for a long time and if set-up correctly they can be fine. That said, I would do everything I could to get a bike with a modern 1x drivetrain. The wide cassettes in the back give you enough range and chain drops due to bad set-up of the FD are more or less non-existent.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

OctaMurk posted:

Hey Goons, I was thinking about getting this Polygon Premier 5 to see if I like mountain biking. Seems roughly equivalent to a Trek Marlin 6. My first step above a wal mart bike.

https://www.bikesonline.com/2021-polygon-premier-5-grey-lemon-27.5-inch-mounta

Im in Louisiana so theres a number of cross country bike trails around but the terrain is fairly flattish.

Anyone think this is a mistake? I have no idea if trail biking is something I'll really like a lot because Ive never done it, so I'm hesitant to spend more money. But if I buy a less expensive bike, am I sabotaging my experience?

You're better off buying a used bike than that, IMO. Dunno what the market is like around you especially now. I'd shoot for a hardtail with at least 10 speeds in the rear, 1x up front, an air fork and hydraulic disk brakes. You can upgrade tires, add a dropper, and do other little upgrades fairly cheaply if you decide you like it. If not, you can probably sell it for exactly what you paid for it (as depreciation has already hit a used bike) assuming you don't crash and break it.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
You might be able to demo something from a shop to see if you like off-road riding before going thru the trouble of buying a bike.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Suburban Dad posted:

You're better off buying a used bike than that, IMO. Dunno what the market is like around you especially now. I'd shoot for a hardtail with at least 10 speeds in the rear, 1x up front, an air fork and hydraulic disk brakes. You can upgrade tires, add a dropper, and do other little upgrades fairly cheaply if you decide you like it. If not, you can probably sell it for exactly what you paid for it (as depreciation has already hit a used bike) assuming you don't crash and break it.

Is depreciation even a thing in your neck of the woods? With the bike shortage around here people are asking new prices for used (although I don't know what people are paying)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah this is a big issue in my area. The used market consists of walmart bikes, and $2000+ bikes with almost nothing in between, and in both cases people are demanding new bike prices

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

OctaMurk posted:

Yeah this is a big issue in my area. The used market consists of walmart bikes, and $2000+ bikes with almost nothing in between, and in both cases people are demanding new bike prices

The GT Avalanche Comp seems to be a really good entry level hardtail if you're willing to go up into the low 800s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oam0HLlQqrY

The one big strike against it is the coil fork.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

feelix posted:

The GT Avalanche Comp seems to be a really good entry level hardtail if you're willing to go up into the low 800s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oam0HLlQqrY

The one big strike against it is the coil fork.

I think I can stretch that, looks likes in stock too. Thanks!!

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Hopefully other goons can chime in, I've only been mountain biking since June so I don't really know what I'm talking about. I'm still on my first set of tires lol

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

OctaMurk posted:

I think I can stretch that, looks likes in stock too. Thanks!!

What is your budget?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

feelix posted:

Is depreciation even a thing in your neck of the woods? With the bike shortage around here people are asking new prices for used (although I don't know what people are paying)

I haven't really looked much honestly. I'm in a good position of already having a bike, thankfully. Was thinking of getting another this year but will probably wait all this out until things are easy to get again...someday.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

vikingstrike posted:

What is your budget?

I was really looking to get away with 800 tops, less than 700 if possible since I'll be getting two for me and the so. All the bikes in this price range seem sold out everywhere

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

new bike is en route to the shop :getin:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

OctaMurk posted:

I was really looking to get away with 800 tops, less than 700 if possible since I'll be getting two for me and the so. All the bikes in this price range seem sold out everywhere

I don't see how you get into a 1x system on that price. I think the bike will be fine. Your other option is....not having a bike in 2021 more or less. Used bikes do not seem like an option to me. they are selling for ridiculous prices.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

spwrozek posted:

I don't see how you get into a 1x system on that price. I think the bike will be fine. Your other option is....not having a bike in 2021 more or less. Used bikes do not seem like an option to me. they are selling for ridiculous prices.

The used market is rough here in Minneapolis too. It’s less that people are asking crazy prices and more of just that they’re not selling them at all. I’m hoping to find something between 2-3k in the next month or so before a trip I have in April that I want to do some riding on and there just aren’t bikes in that range for sale around here, used or new. I was eyeing direct to consumer brands the last couple months too and haven’t had luck there either.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Well goons, the GT Avalanche I found in stock had $600 shipping cost (almost as much as the bike) because it ships from Spain so I think I am not gonna get it.

However, I did find this bike for sale --

The frame is old but the components sound quality. It has the 1x drivetrain that you have all convinced me is a big quality of life upgrade, and the rockshox forks. I am 1" taller than the seller so I think the frame size would probably be ok for me.

My idea would be to get this, try out mountain biking for a while and see if I like it. Then if its awesome I can give it to my SO and get another bicycle. But not sure how much the "ancientness" of the frame matters. Is this a good deal ?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
That's a cool bike. Looks like the brakes are cable actuated? That's the only big strike I can find against it

A bunch of steel tubes is a bunch of steel tubes, building a rigid frame isn't rocket science, don't @ me

The substantive things that will be affected by it being old are:
1) Harder to find compatible parts (rear axle will be different than modern bikes, non-tapered steerer tube, maybe something funky going on with the bottom bracket)
2) The geometry won't be what is generally accepted as correct nowadays, but you have nothing to compare to and who even knows if your personal preferences align with modern trends

feelix fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I found out that someone makes aftermarket Torque Caps for my Bontrager Rapid Drive hub, and the Trust Message is Torque Cap ready, so I figured, why the hell not.

The left pair are misordered -- the thick disc is what faces the fork leg.

I had a hell of a time pulling the stock caps off. More on that later.

DS seal looked very clean:

NDS/rotor not surprisingly was dirtier, and this is after I tried to brush/pick up stray particles:

I used DT Swiss star ratchet grease on the NDS side as I didn't have clean enough grease to reuse. Was this a bad idea?

This is the little guide that the Message has if you run regular caps:

The jankiness of it was partly motivation to go to Torque Caps.

Installed:

DS side was decently tight, and NDS was fairly loose. Neither side was as tight as the original caps (though I didn't put them back on to see if I'd unseized something in pulling them off).
The rotor dragged just a tiny bit after the swap, so the total left/right shift was pretty small.

Now that DS middle disc/rib -- I have no idea what it would be for. It sticks out that much -- I double checked when putting it on and when bolting down the TA.
It makes more sense as a lightweight brace on the NDS side, which sits deeper into the 6-bolt mounting face.

I just googled for Torque Caps to look at the standard, and I saw this:
https://www.amazon.com/DT-Swiss-Torque-Cap-Caps/dp/B01CFSQ30A?th=1&psc=1
DT Swiss sells what looks to be same thing for 240 hubs. All the features that I can compare are the same -- the lack of branding, the bevels, the diameter and placement of the ribs, the O-rings, the fact that the NDS side is two-piece. I wonder if my eBay seller happened to discover that this worked for other hubs that used the same or same-dimensioned hub axle (the sleeve the TA goes through)? Are axles standardized on outer diameter? If it is just reselling the DT Swiss parts, that could explain why they feel a little loose.

Though the loosest fitment is between the two NDS pieces. I can't quite picture why it's two pieces, necessitating the outer piece having an O-ring to prevent dirt from getting in.
One the TA is torqued down, these caps and the axle sleeve form a rigid assembly, right? So I guess I see that an extra piece isn't an issue under proper torque settings, but still kinda odd. I don't think the longer half would be reusable for non-Torque Cap situations -- it'd seem cheaper for this little material to just make whole pieces for each application.

If anyone has a 240 Boost hub and a caliper, I'd like to get some measurements off of you. The genuine part is cheaper than the part I got:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303799846104 (it was $65 when I bought it, so Covid must be hitting hard for people who want a stiffer wheel/fork interface).

Oh right, testing stiffness. I dunno when I'll next get to ride the bike, and if I could possibly pick up on the difference. Of the two forks I've ridden of this general spec (the other being the Fox 34 Factory), the Trust is far and away stiffer torsionally. One of the first things you notice about it. So could end up being pointless marginal gains.

Oh, right the old caps. I was trying for like 15min to pull them off by hand or with inner tube for grip, but no dice.
Got out the vice grips and they came loose after a few tries. Unfortunately, the inner tube got minced by the grip's teeth, and I gouged the old caps in several spots:

There's not a problem as long as I make sure the end faces are perfectly flat, right? Just sand off any burrs that stick out?