Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wack Snyder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Wack Snyder

Hack Snyder was right there

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Hack Snyder was right there

gently caress

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

holy poo poo

i know i said i didnt want to watch it, and i honestly didnt, but im drunk, and i did. it is the worst garbage, but definitely not in a good way. its a construct. my theory is they had a bunch of footage from 2-3 productions that never went anywhere

i cant describe it better than this: when the movie begins, denzel is a bumpkin sheriff and rami malek is a smartass cop fbi wannabe, also its the 1960s but as we get closer to the middle, denzel is now the equalizer, and its the 2000s. yet we are still on the same case, and theres no passage of time. we are watching 30 years pass in 30 minutes. cars and backgrounds, everything. theres no pattern or continuity here, aside from the passage of time. rami malek is still in the 1960s tho, so he gets greenscreened in a bunch

but pls dont watch it. aside from the technical curiosity, its just slow.

e: oh yeah also jared leto. its liek a 15 minute role that im pretty sure was his audition for a charles manson biopic, but it doesnt go anywhere either. gently caress him tho.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 27, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Looks like a serious downgrade from Soul, but anything was bound to be right?

I was just thinking about that movie. Soul didnt connect with me and from my impression with most people based on the lack of impact it had. And I was trying to figure out why.

I didnt find thr character terribly sympathetic, and his goal of being a famous jazz player seems just super specific and not relatable at all. Also he wasn't particularly interesting

Didn't help the message of the movie was the fairly generic enjoy life I guess

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Soul lost me almost immediately when the first thing that happens is him landing a full-time teaching job and that's supposed to be a terrible thing. It also then forgets about the students halfway through. The whole movie is obsessed with fame and Great People and it just sends a weirdly Randian message IMO.

There are parts later on where it seems to come around to something else but then it just ends before committing to any of it and the whole thing just sits weird with me.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 27, 2021

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I didn't get the sense at all that the movie was saying that teaching isn't worthwhile — just that the MC didn't feel that it was. The movie makes it clear that the main character has the makings of a good teacher, if only he'd wanted to be one. But he's locked in a hollow persuit of his dreams.

It's strange to me that someone wouldn't be able to relate to the MC due to his thing being jazz rather than some other poo poo. His dream could've been anything, it doesn't matter because it's not about the specifics.

Like I don't give a poo poo about sushi. But I'm fully engaged in Hiro when he dreams of it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hakkesshu posted:

Soul lost me almost immediately when the first thing that happens is him landing a full-time teaching job and that's supposed to be a terrible thing. It also then forgets about the students halfway through. The whole movie is obsessed with fame and Great People and it just sends a weirdly Randian message IMO.

There are parts later on where it seems to come around to something else but then it just ends before committing to any of it and the whole thing just sits weird with me.

WTC - The movie isn't making teaching out to be a terrible thing. Joe just feels like his life's purpose is music and that doing anything other than that is settling.

The entire idea is that obsessing over purpose and fame and what not is a bad thing and it causes you to miss the life around you. Like, it's *very* explicit about that. Not sure how you could miss it.

This is like that guy (who was a history major) that got mad at the little clips of historical figures getting mad at 22 was "because they're trying to make them look like they were assholes." Which is just so completely missing the point I don't know what to say ha.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The message of the movie is that it's never worth pursuing your dreams and that you should just sit around and slack and smoke weed and watch leaves in the wind and hopefully die an early death because nothing in life matters

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Zzulu posted:

The message of the movie is that it's never worth pursuing your dreams and that you should just sit around and slack and smoke weed and watch leaves in the wind and hopefully die an early death because nothing in life matters

Oh man then I am *solid*.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Thank god.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BonoMan posted:

WTC - The movie isn't making teaching out to be a terrible thing. Joe just feels like his life's purpose is music and that doing anything other than that is settling.

The entire idea is that obsessing over purpose and fame and what not is a bad thing and it causes you to miss the life around you. Like, it's *very* explicit about that. Not sure how you could miss it.

This is like that guy (who was a history major) that got mad at the little clips of historical figures getting mad at 22 was "because they're trying to make them look like they were assholes." Which is just so completely missing the point I don't know what to say ha.

I get what the point is supposed to be, but I think the movie is very confused about itself and, again, ends before actually properly closing the loop on all the stuff it sets up, particularly the teaching. It feels lacking in focus and doesn't properly mesh the Joe's life stuff with the 22 stuff in my mind. My complaints about the teaching stuff is in response to the post about not feeling the character is particularly sympathetic, which immediately leads me to not being very invested in this dude, and most of the rest of the film doesn't change that, which in this case I blame more on the filmmaker than the concept behind the character itself. Like yeah I loving get it but it also made the movie more annoying to watch than endearing.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 27, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hakkesshu posted:

I get what the point is supposed to be, but I think the movie is very confused about itself and, again, ends before actually properly closing the loop on all the stuff it sets up, particularly the teaching. It feels lacking in focus and doesn't properly mesh the Joe's life stuff with the 22 stuff in my mind. My complaints about the teaching stuff is in response to the post about not feeling the character is particularly sympathetic, which immediately leads me to not being very invested in this dude, and most of the rest of the film doesn't change that, which in this case I blame more on the filmmaker than the concept behind the character itself. Like yeah I loving get it but it also made the movie more annoying to watch than endearing.

There's no loop to close on the teaching. It's just a foil to highlight his obsession with his "purpose"... it literally could be any other device. In the animation thread there was a lot of similar discussion (mostly about Connie) and I agree it can be confusing. But they aren't plot threads.
And I believe he's not supposed to be sympathetic either. He's steps away from becoming a lost soul and is acting like a dismissive rear end in a top hat. That's kind of the point. I agree there are issues in execution, but the intention seems pretty clear to me. Although he also does have some moments in his flashbacks (when he's having his moment of realization at the piano) of starting teaching on his first day and teaching Curly. So ... it does make it into the resolution tangentially.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

anatomi posted:

I didn't get the sense at all that the movie was saying that teaching isn't worthwhile — just that the MC didn't feel that it was. The movie makes it clear that the main character has the makings of a good teacher, if only he'd wanted to be one. But he's locked in a hollow persuit of his dreams.

It's strange to me that someone wouldn't be able to relate to the MC due to his thing being jazz rather than some other poo poo. His dream could've been anything, it doesn't matter because it's not about the specifics.

Like I don't give a poo poo about sushi. But I'm fully engaged in Hiro when he dreams of it.

Its not about jazz per se but the thing about being famous and well known. And I feel like the show doesn't make a firm commitment to saying one thing or the other about it.

I'm a musician myself, and even with that I thought it was a hollow, uninteresting thing to shape a movie around.

Music is about connecting with people, with bringing happiness to people, etc. I found nothing in the main character's drive relatable at all.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BonoMan posted:

There's no loop to close on the teaching. It's just a foil to highlight his obsession with his "purpose"... it literally could be any other device. In the animation thread there was a lot of similar discussion (mostly about Connie) and I agree it can be confusing. But they aren't plot threads.
And I believe he's not supposed to be sympathetic either. He's steps away from becoming a lost soul and is acting like a dismissive rear end in a top hat. That's kind of the point. I agree there are issues in execution, but the intention seems pretty clear to me. Although he also does have some moments in his flashbacks (when he's having his moment of realization at the piano) of starting teaching on his first day and teaching Curly. So ... it does make it into the resolution tangentially.

We can agree the character isn't sympathetic, which is perfectly fine! Alot of great movies center on unsympathetic movies, but its weird for a Pixar movie tho, the only one I can think of for one of them is Lightning Mcqueen from Cars, and that movie...yeah. Even Up, with its grouchy old man protaganist, starts off with the most emotional heartwrenching 10 minutes of Pixar animation ever, so that you're rooting the hell out of him.

But sure unsympathetic character, fine. Other types of movies create hooks for them anyway. Either they're great at what they do, or they're hella charismatic, or you want to see how they get out of crazy problematic situations.

Joe's (and I had to look it up to remember his name) main problem as a grown rear end man is that he just got a stable job. There's no struggle there, you don't see him scrabble his way into something better. Sure, he wants to be a fulltime musician (no such thing, anyone that gets close to that teaches somewhere in my experience, whatever), but you don't see him get good at it, you don't see what drives him (other than CGI effects where he's floating or whatever lol), and you don't see a community around him.

The latter is a Pixar staple. Woody with the other toys, Incredibles with family, Coco ditto. Family for Joe is an obstacle, so you don't see him connect with another character until the end of the movie. Meanwhile, a body switch movie happens for some reason?

Joe is unsympathetic, uncharismatic, uninteresting, and largely hollow. And that's why Soul fails.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtoaayKwd8w

multiple characters will have christ allegories in this movie

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

And where is Burnt Toast Man in all this? Does he become Christ on a Toast Man?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Superman is gonna pick these fools up and put em down about 200 times.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Tom Waits broke his No Advertising rule for this.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't enjoy Soul.

I also watched it with someone who had no idea what it was about and when Joe walks into an open manhole and dies it was incredibly jarring.

I loved the jazz but thought the whole afterlife parts of the movie were boring. Like I would have been so much more in if it was just about his jazz career.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

My wife and I watched Soul for date night a few weeks back and were both just bored to tears. That's the biggest problem - it takes a bunch of stuff that should otherwise be interesting or at least thought provoking and saps all the life out of them (no pun intended), plus makes a monumental waste of Jaime Foxx's talents.

There's more substantive criticism of it on various fronts but it's just not a fun movie. I can't imagine ever watching it again and once my kid gets old enough to care about Pixar/Disney stuff we'll probably skip it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mat Cauthon posted:

My wife and I watched Soul for date night a few weeks back and were both just bored to tears. That's the biggest problem - it takes a bunch of stuff that should otherwise be interesting or at least thought provoking and saps all the life out of them (no pun intended), plus makes a monumental waste of Jaime Foxx's talents.

There's more substantive criticism of it on various fronts but it's just not a fun movie. I can't imagine ever watching it again and once my kid gets old enough to care about Pixar/Disney stuff we'll probably skip it.

Counterpoint our kids love it. So... Maybe don't try to decide right now what your kids are going to watch based on your own misgivings?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, but kids are dumb.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

BonoMan posted:

Counterpoint our kids love it. So... Maybe don't try to decide right now what your kids are going to watch based on your own misgivings?

My son is going to watch Hudson Hawk until he drat well enjoys it, and that’s final.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ozmunkeh posted:

My son is going to watch Hudson Hawk until he drat well enjoys it, and that’s final.

Hahaha holy poo poo *yes*

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, but kids are dumb.

My dad told me Pumpkinhead was a bad movie. I rented it and I learned that day that adults are even dumber than kids because what kind of idiot hates Pumpkinhead.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If I put in King Kong Lives and my kids say, "wow dad terrible" - well, they aren't no kids of mine.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

My nephew said Big Trouble in Little China was not a good movie. He is dead to me now.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Proteus Jones posted:

My nephew said Big Trouble in Little China was not a good movie. He is dead to me now.

He could also be a pod person. We don’t know for sure.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

I am disappoint

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How old is he? Lots of young folks just plain don't understand camp. Also, did you do your duty as an uncle and make him fall in love with Shaw Brothers movies first?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
My children refuse to even watch Goonies. :(

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Collateral posted:

Maybe there's hope for future generations, after all.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Collateral posted:

I tried when my daughter was 4, 5 and 6. At 6 she finally loves it. Some switch just flipped.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Gods Must Be Crazy and Swiss Family Robinson were both rejected based on the cover art by my nephews.

so of course they're assholes now

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Collateral posted:

Good, its bad

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

How old is he? Lots of young folks just plain don't understand camp. Also, did you do your duty as an uncle and make him fall in love with Shaw Brothers movies first?

I think I saw Big Trouble young enough to think it was a 100% serious movie and I thought it unironically rocked.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtoaayKwd8w

multiple characters will have christ allegories in this movie

Only Superman has the actual Christ allegory.

https://twitter.com/apilotjones/status/1365746216986963968

https://twitter.com/apilotjones/status/1365748584474419202

https://twitter.com/apilotjones/status/1365752618551816195

https://twitter.com/apilotjones/status/1365755088774582273

https://twitter.com/apilotjones/status/1365757414801293312

https://twitter.com/aojeda14/status/1365839450035675144?s=20

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The MSJ posted:

Only Superman has the actual Christ allegory.

how dare you forget our boy, the Joker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

how dare you forget our boy, the Joker?

We're all trying hard to forget him.