Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Honestly it reminds me of that one mission impossible game level, the one with the really good music and the person who would follow you a little bit and you had to take them out before they took you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Chemi_Ro/status/1364380619367571459

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Morpheus posted:

The key to that would be a) crowds of NPCs that exist in the world b) the thing always looks like some random NPC c) it never teleports

I'm also imagining something like a hitman-style level with lots of people all over the place...trying to complete an objective and you look over your shoulder and wonder if that NPC is moving towards you with perhaps a little too much intent.

I'm thinking behavior like the agents in the Matrix, where any random face can just randomly turn into The poo poo but it can't hijack bodies willy nilly once it is in The poo poo mode

so even if you can just run it over with your car until it is dead, doing so is risky because now you've lost track of it and it can be anybody again

edit: man the first Matrix had good horror game potential

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 24, 2021

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

and more than just risky to run it over with your car, you have to do so out of sight of anyone else or the cops come to murder you too

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Well, depends if you go with the 'it's invisible to everyone else' rule from the movie.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Black August posted:

Yeah, I was thinking that movie exactly. Imagine a GTA game where you have to go about sets of routines, but once in a while an implacable killer starts walk-hunting you until escaped or incapacitated.

Terminator: Isolation would be rad.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BillBear posted:

Terminator: Isolation would be rad.

I can see this as kind of an Among Us kind of game, where certain NPCs are terminators on the hunt and you have to identify and avoid them until you can set up a way to take them out. I don't think the Isolation model would work because terminators use guns and doing a chase sequence like that is rough, but capitalizing on their disguising abilities would be rad.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I want an Among Us ripoff under The Thing license, like, yesterday.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I want an Among Us ripoff under The Thing license, like, yesterday.

Presumably that would be more like Space Station 13/Barotrauma where you have someone running around loving up the base and people have to figure out who it is and deal with them and the problems before everything shuts down. And killed people would get replaced as Things.

It'd probably be a nightmare to balance but it would be entertaining.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

The Yomowari collection is heavily on sale on the switch, are they pretty decent? I've honestly nrver heard of them and reviews are saying either they're great or to not bother so I fogured I'd ask here, where the true horror game fans live

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Can't say I liked them a lot, personally. You direct a little 2D doll through a 2D city and randomly die with little recourse unless you go the precisely correct route, with often no real indication for what is the correct route. It's pretty frustrating to play.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Sid Vicious posted:

The Yomowari collection is heavily on sale on the switch, are they pretty decent? I've honestly nrver heard of them and reviews are saying either they're great or to not bother so I fogured I'd ask here, where the true horror game fans live

Watch a trailer or something and decide how much you like the ~aesthetic~, because that's really the main selling point. The gameplay is pretty simplistic, you run around spooky locations and evade or hide from ghosts, but I found both games to be pretty atmospheric and worthwhile for being pretty cheap and pretty short.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I’ve only played the first one and aside from a few frustrating moments they’re a great distillation of indie horror tropes (run and hide while finding notes) while picking up the torch of dead Japanese horror like Fatal Frame’s creepy atmosphere and Silent Hill’s exceptional sound design. Random poo poo will happen, sometimes once with no explanation, so it has that utterly unsettling sound design of Silent Hill y’all were talking about but there are moments where you’re put in impossible scenarios or literally can’t react fast enough and just die (gently caress you uncanny valley pupper gently caress right off)

So yeah honestly 10/10 horror game it executes its themes perfectly it is uncompromising in what it wants to be as long as you accept what it wants to be isn’t always fun.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yomawari is cool and atmospheric as long as you don't mind the main gameplay loop being 'which path doesn't kill me'.
The first game also tries to make out that it has a limited save system like ink ribbons from RE but it really doesn't, coins respawn constantly and there are checkpoints that don't require saving all other the place.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The very first thing that happens in Yomawari Night Alone is that your dog is run over by a delivery truck and leaves behind a nice big blood splatter and skidmark. For some people, this may be a dealkiller where the absence of any real gameplay isn't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Probably the last time I was genuinely shocked at something happening in a horror game lol

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

CuddleCryptid posted:

Presumably that would be more like Space Station 13/Barotrauma where you have someone running around loving up the base and people have to figure out who it is and deal with them and the problems before everything shuts down. And killed people would get replaced as Things.

It'd probably be a nightmare to balance but it would be entertaining.

I’m thinking a playable version of Unfortunate Spaceman. Mafia game + lite FPS has so much potential and a terminator skin is perfect.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Saying Yomawari has an absence of gameplay isn't right, all the ghosts have rules and the game dynamically changes the scenarios and spawn points. It's not a Bloober game.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

al-azad posted:

Saying Yomawari has an absence of gameplay isn't right, all the ghosts have rules and the game dynamically changes the scenarios and spawn points. It's not a Bloober game.

The second game expands on this more with the ghosts. I'd recommend both of them, they're cute, frustrating, spooky and very sad games.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I finished the Medium. My reaction's mixed. I don't regret playing it, but it was an uneven experience. I probably wouldn't recommend it at full price except to someone who I knew to be very casual.

Mostly I'm struck by how it marketed itself as a horror game when it's actually just a point and click adventure with occasional horror-themed segments. I mean, I think if marketed as a glossy/casual/streamlined but dark point and click type adventure, then it would deliver on that nicely.

But as a horror game it's just not. And I think I beat it under 6 hours of actual gameplay, so it's on the thin side.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Black August posted:

Yeah, exactly. It reminds me of the GTA 'Survive The Hunt' play, where you need to blend in as if you're one of the NPC AIs while driving to avoid detection by hunters who are other players. Just a game that makes you violently paranoid about large NPC crowds and your position in them would work so good on its own though.

Spy vs Spy reboot in the Hitman engine would be this and would be great

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Spy vs Spy reboot in the Hitman engine would be this and would be great
So, instead of loading cartoon springs into a filing cabinet like the NES game you boobytrap closest and dumpsters next to conveniently isolated guards?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Been playing through Silent Hill Collection on PSNow. The new voices in Silent Hill 2 really weren't bad. The voices in 3...well those are kind of bad, but there's an option to play with the old voices, so whatever

Also I love how Heather in 3 has commentary for drat near every bit of hosed up scenery and object. "It's a dead monster. I could call the police but what am I going to say? Officer I've gunned down a giant monster at the mall"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

She probably could have, cops in the Silent Hill series seem to be pretty on the ball. Cybil even gave you a free gun "just in case." Not at all like Deputy rear end in a top hat in Resident Evil 7.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cardiovorax posted:

She probably could have, cops in the Silent Hill series seem to be pretty on the ball. Cybil even gave you a free gun "just in case." Not at all like Deputy rear end in a top hat in Resident Evil 7.

The SH comics have the local cops just aware it's an evil place with monsters where people go missing

I doubt those are canon though

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Only in the same way that Silent Hill Homecoming is canon.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My fav Heather commentary is coming across a giant fleshy tumor blocking your path and her response is like “ugh this poo poo is frustrating” which reveals she’s aware of her lineage and maybe a little meta, like this rustworld is old hat and an annoyance. By the end of the game she’s just going through the motions and even teases the investigator by pretending to be possessed as he’s injured and crippled bleeding out on the ground.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

al-azad posted:

By the end of the game she’s just going through the motions and even teases the investigator by pretending to be possessed as he’s injured and crippled bleeding out on the ground.

Teenagers can be real assholes

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, he did get her dad killed, he kinda has it coming.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Been playing through Silent Hill Collection on PSNow. The new voices in Silent Hill 2 really weren't bad. The voices in 3...well those are kind of bad, but there's an option to play with the old voices, so whatever

Also I love how Heather in 3 has commentary for drat near every bit of hosed up scenery and object. "It's a dead monster. I could call the police but what am I going to say? Officer I've gunned down a giant monster at the mall"

sh2's new voices weren't bad, but the only one that was actually an improvement imo was laura bailey's take on angela. the original actors might have been amateurs but most of the retakes sounded like they were just trying to imitate those performances, which made them sound even worse. bailey on the other hand cranked up the bitter melancholy on angela's lines, which made them a lot more impactful, especially in her final scene (the way her voice cracks when she says "i'm not worth it" and the audible sneer when she asks james if he wants to save her are both standouts)

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

The new SH2 voices were extremely anime. It wasn't the worst ever, sure, but it lacked any of the charm or surreality the original had.

Plus any redub that replaces an actual kid VA with an adult can gently caress right off, that poo poo is the worst, and SH2's replacement was particularly bad.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Dang it bobby now I have to hear the new SH2 voices so I can make a post about how the old terrible ones contributed to the otherworldliness against how the new ones, presumably more authentic, ground it and therefore take away from the effectiveness of the original or some poo poo

there's 10 hours or so that I probably won't get back

I hope you sickos are happy

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Danknificent posted:

Dang it bobby now I have to hear the new SH2 voices so I can make a post about how the old terrible ones contributed to the otherworldliness against how the new ones, presumably more authentic, ground it and therefore take away from the effectiveness of the original or some poo poo

there's 10 hours or so that I probably won't get back

I hope you sickos are happy

When's the last time you had a Silent Hill 2 run through, I'm sure you were due :colbert:

E: I am looking forward to the post

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

TheWorldsaStage posted:

When's the last time you had a Silent Hill 2 run through, I'm sure you were due :colbert:

E: I am looking forward to the post

2005 motherfucker :argh:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also I beat SH2 in about four hours (five counting Born From A Wish), it's a shorter game than I remembered

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Once you take out all the aimless wandering-around that you'll be doing in your first run when can't figure out where to go or where to find the next item you need, there's really surprisingly little game to it. I think it actually kind of detracts from the experience, because feeling confused and lost while just experiencing the weirdness of the nightmare world you're trapped in is... actually really on point for the kind of story that Silent Hill 2 is telling?

There's an interesting synchronicity to it that I was never quite is really intentional. It makes you wonder what you're even doing and why you're doing it as much as James must be at that point, but just like him you still press on simply because there's really nowhere else for you to go - metaphorically so in James' case, who refuses to leave even though he could, and more literally so in the player's.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I still think the weirdest thing is the reason they didn't get the original actors, which is that Guy Cihi insisted Konami owed him pay for every single copy of Silent Hill 2 sold and that there was a contractual agreement for this...which there wasn't, and Troy Baker (who replaced him as James) said as much not long after Cihi started spouting this off.

Of course Cihi's also a chud piece of poo poo who thinks 5G is eating people's lungs so maybe in hindsight it's not that weird that he completely made up a contract in his head.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Cardiovorax posted:

The very first thing that happens in Yomawari Night Alone is that your dog is run over by a delivery truck and leaves behind a nice big blood splatter and skidmark. For some people, this may be a dealkiller where the absence of any real gameplay isn't.
*doesn't flinch at nails being removed or buzzsaw bisection scenes* nooo the heckin pupperino!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
started Visage, maybe about halfway through (finished dolores' chapter and 5 of the 7 videotapes). the gameplay is decent though i'm using a guide for most of the scavenger-hunt stuff, a lot of the items are very obscure and i don't like frantically clicking on scenery while nasties are breathing down my neck. atmosphere is great, though the game's occasional attempts to be funny are very much not so

storywise it's a mixed bag so far. there's a lot of horror devs who really need to learn that less is more when it comes to dialogue. most of the characters in this are even talkier than PT was, and while both Visage and PT have a premise of "family man consigned to personal hell by violence inflicted on his family," PT provides a motive for the violence - socio-economic emasculation - while in Visage he's just a Sad Drunk Man whose wife got upset with him for being Sad and Drunk. nothing that holds a candle to PT's aborted fetus jeering at the protagonist about his wife getting a job

still one of the better horror games i've checked out recently, should be able to hold my attention to the finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Relin posted:

*doesn't flinch at nails being removed or buzzsaw bisection scenes* nooo the heckin pupperino!
Unironically kinda true, honestly. When you play a lot of horror games, simple gore is something you get desensitized to very quickly. Dogs are innocent and likable pretty much by default, so when you see a dog get hurt, there is practically no ambiguity about it being cruelty just for the sake of cruelty. It's almost easier to empathize with them than even with children, in some ways, because a kid can still be just kind of an rear end in a top hat. Dogs, on the other hand, are so loyal it's proverbial, essentially 100% trustworthy and as undeserving of having bad things happen to them as it is possible for anything to be.