Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

I think it may be more efficient if we single out the people in this thread who are not old.

Who is under 30?

38 here and Civvie is younger than most of us...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Guillermus posted:

38 here and Civvie is younger than most of us...

He's four or so years younger than me I think - he wasn't alive when Aliens came out. So he's around DUSKdev's age and too young to have played say DOOM when it came out.

Nice to see the whippersnappers can appreciate the classics.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah I read that tweet about not being born before a good Alien film. That film is a 1986 movie and FPS Carol is on the lower 30's when I thought she would be close if not over 40.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oh yeah when she posted a pic I thought she's be at least a decade older than me when she's absolutely younger lol

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

New decino dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLeMj-OYV1c

Man, I'm glad someone is putting these out in video format. I may have been playing Doom forever but I'll be darned if I ever took the time to study the code despite it's availability but I'll watch the hell out of analysis vid.

SeANMcBAY posted:

The guy that made Project Warlock is only like 20. Younger people definitely enjoy these kind of games still.

I hope he does something else. PW is not a game changer but it is still a really solid especially for a first timer.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

He's four or so years younger than me I think - he wasn't alive when Aliens came out. So he's around DUSKdev's age and too young to have played say DOOM when it came out.
I feel like Doom and some of its gen (and consoles around the same time, discounting stuff like the mega drive remaining common in Brazil for another decade) may have had longer lifespans owing to needing major system replacements that people often didn't immediately do or only got part of like say, a PS1 but still having a PC with no high end 3d accelerator. Doom era PC and 16-bit consoles definitely age better. Civvie certainly talks about playing Doom as a youngun and getting Archvile nightmares.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Nice to see the whippersnappers can appreciate the classics.

He said he was 6 when he played Doom, which was the same age as me when I played it, so he's at around 31-32 unless he played it years later.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah I'm 33 and I played it at about 7 or so. Depends on when my dad bought his Win95 desktop. I'd already been playing Mortal Kombat (on an Amiga!) and had seen Terminator 2 on vhs so Doom was perfect, my parents didn't even think twice about it.

It's a shame my dad didn't keep up with games at all. I've tried to bring up Doom and even that I'm working on sprites or playing new mods but he isn't interested at all.

Ugh poo poo I just realised he was my age when he was teaching me to load up usermaps for Duke3d in Dos. It's been a long time

edit I dunno why t2 is my go to violent movie but I dunno I fuckin loved it.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
All I had was a 286 so I didn't get to play Doom at release, but hey let me tell you about Rescue Rover 2

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shoehead posted:

Terminator 2 is probably still the best action movie ever made and it was the first R-rated movie I saw (I was six when it came out).

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Terminator 2 is probably still the best action movie ever made and it was the first R-rated movie I saw (I was six when it came out).

T2 and Total Recall loving rule. Arnie was the best action movie star of that era imo.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Add Predator to that.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Shoehead posted:

It's a really good sci-fi action movie, almost perfect in design. Cameron, Verhoven, McTiernan and the guys that did Matrix 1 really hit onto the right balance of everything for sci-fi action.

I am not not quite 30 and remember Duke3d shareware coming out but not doom, I played doom as a teenager more and grew up on Build engine, 3d and 64 shooters. From what I had available Heretic, Hexen, strife and Dark forces had much more influence on my childhood than doom, and Duke3d which I remember dressing as one time. Also I had TekWar.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 1, 2021

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Convex posted:

T2 and Total Recall loving rule. Arnie was the best action movie star of that era imo.
He legitimately is. He might frankly be the best action movie star of all time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Duke Nukem Forever was a 360/PS3 title, it is already retro.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I don’t know if it’s his best but the most quotable Arnold film is Commando

I’d still wish we had a Commando FPS with a boss fight against Bennett at the end.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 1, 2021

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I don’t know if it’s his best but the most quotable Arnold film is Commando

I’d still wish we had a Commando FPS with a boss fight against Bennett at the end.

I'm really steamed that such a game never materialised.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Bushmaori posted:

I'm really steamed that such a game never materialised.

I see what you're trying to do there.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

treat posted:

I see what you're trying to do there.

cool down man

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Turin Turambar posted:

I think it may be more efficient if we single out the people in this thread who are not old.

Who is under 30?
me :)

I think tf2 served as a gateway for many younger gamers to older FPS conventions, it certainly was for me.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I did it, I beat Doom 64. Now I never have to play it again. The art direction was pretty appalling; not just that the monsters were insanely ugly, but some of the door textures are practically camouflaged. I hated the sound effects and “music.” The levels got better towards the end and occasionally I did admit to having fun with it, but a lot of it felt like a slog. I don’t know whose genius idea it was to make the Lost Souls more annoying but know that I hate you.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

david_a posted:

I did it, I beat Doom 64. Now I never have to play it again. The art direction was pretty appalling; not just that the monsters were insanely ugly, but some of the door textures are practically camouflaged. I hated the sound effects and “music.” The levels got better towards the end and occasionally I did admit to having fun with it, but a lot of it felt like a slog. I don’t know whose genius idea it was to make the Lost Souls more annoying but know that I hate you.

I'm in the same boat. I figure that nostalgia for Doom64 is that since it was on console, it was the first "Doom" for a lot of people. So the demons and the colored lighting and filtered textures look right, and the echoey sounds and barely present soundtrack sound right. It's the same reason why a lot of people think that Goldeneye is a good game.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

david_a posted:

A.o.D. posted:

I'm in the same boat. I figure that nostalgia for Doom64 is that since it was on console, it was the first "Doom" for a lot of people. So the demons and the colored lighting and filtered textures look right, and the echoey sounds and barely present soundtrack sound right. It's the same reason why a lot of people think that Goldeneye is a good game.

:piss:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

It's okay if you like it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't really see a scenario where i would want to play doom 64 over actual, normal doom, even looking beyond the wads and such available for the latter

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't really see a scenario where i would want to play doom 64 over actual, normal doom, even looking beyond the wads and such available for the latter

Grew up with doom on PC and by the time 64 came out we already had Quake (and possibly Quake 2?). So it’s not nostalgia for me, I don’t think. When it came out it was passé. But I love it these days.

It’s not one over the other, to me it’s simply Doom 3.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Escape Goat posted:

Grew up with doom on PC and by the time 64 came out we already had Quake (and possibly Quake 2?). So it’s not nostalgia for me, I don’t think. When it came out it was passé. But I love it these days.

It’s not one over the other, to me it’s simply Doom 3.

Q2 came out 4 months after Doom 64.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

people like doom 64 because it rules, OP

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Doom 64 isn’t as good as pc Doom but I still love it. I think it has better level design than 2.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doom64 is fun but suffers from some really repetitive map design.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

my first fps was chex quest which i received in a cereal box in i think 1998. i had never seen or heard of doom but i thought zorching flemoids was pretty rad. apparently the original version only had five levels, but i still never finished it because i was somehow not aware of “saving”

i also got the amazon trail on cd-rom in a cereal box, and number munchers on 3.5” floppy in a pack of 35mm film(???)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the ost in d64 owns gently caress you

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
In case anyone's interested in making Doom sprites I just put out v1.2 of Palette Studio, a Blender add-on that helps render sprites with a selected palette. It's geared for Doom and other retro FPS games in mind (and can even do 16 angles for ZDoom) but you can use any other palette in it too!

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1366276897580060672?s=20

I made it about a week ago but I finally got in extra features that make it super handy, like being able to rotate lighting and selecting specific colors from the palette you're using. Please check it out and make some Doom sprites!

Also, here's an example of what it can make with a Luigi model:
https://clips.twitch.tv/SullenCheerfulLatteMikeHogu-fIJz9fmz8bASA24V

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 1, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

verbal enema posted:

the ost in d64 owns gently caress you

Same with the PS1 version of Doom. I think I may try playing with that music sometime.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoI57YXK2do

Once you hear it, you can't unhear it

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

Dieting Hippo posted:

In case anyone's interested in making Doom sprites I just put out v1.2 of Palette Studio, a Blender add-on that helps render sprites with a selected palette. It's geared for Doom and other retro FPS games in mind (and can even do 16 angles for ZDoom) but you can use any other palette in it too!
Depending on whether you want to expand your user base to RTS modders, you may consider adding options for bimetric perspective and 32 angles (supported by StarCraft Remastered & Age of Empires Definitive Edition) :D

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Turin Turambar posted:

Who is under 30?

I'm 27

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Burn the witch.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Today is my one hundred and eleventh birthday and I only play Blake Stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I'm 35 and I only play Omikron: The Nomad Soul starring wuzzah wuzzah David Bowie