Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

kidcoelacanth posted:

i am so tired of reboots and revivals

just wait until they do a CG *checks notes* Captain N without the videogame properties?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MorningMoon posted:

just wait until they do a CG *checks notes* Captain N without the videogame properties?!

For the inverse, I remember jokes that Smash Ultimate is a Captain N reunion.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My problem with reboots is that they make it incredibly hard to look up information about the mid 90's Canadian CG show ReBoot. Especially after they made a ReBoot reboot.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Apparently the ATLA creators have formed their own studio and an animated film set in the same universe is in the works:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/avatar-last-airbender-expanded-universe-nickelodeon

Avatar The Last Airbender has aged amazingly well but Legend of Korra has aged really loving terribly so I have no idea how this is going to turn out.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

YggiDee posted:

My problem with reboots is that they make it incredibly hard to look up information about the mid 90's Canadian CG show ReBoot. Especially after they made a ReBoot reboot.

That's on them. If I make a movie called "Movie" I wont get to complain about bad marketing either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ruflux posted:

I'm pretty sure that was debunked just a few posts ago in this thread - apparently it was likely to be fabricated news from an untrustworthy website. I don't think it got picked up by any major sites since the source was so dubious.

Ah, I see. Good to know. Too many things about that story seemed dubious to begin with, so I’m glad it’s not true. Still plenty of other ways left for Netflix to gently caress up the series though, so let’s not exhale yet, I suppose.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Depends on how old you are when you watch it. I vaguely recall watching Rugrats as a kid and being annoyed by all the time the show spent on the adults.

The most interesting aspects of Rugrats to me was in retrospect because I hated watching it at the time. However there are interesting aspects of some episodes that imply parts of the children's psychology and intellectual development, especially Chuckie. There is an implied reason he's such a buzzkill/ responsible type. Him and his dad are on their own for the earliest parts of his development, until meeting the eventual step family that join their unit and bolster it, CHuckie and Charles are all each other have. This has likely instilled in Chuckie a sense of increased responsibility, way beyond the average 2-year old, he isn't actively aware of it because he's too young but he actively pulls his weight around the house by keeping his space immaculate. In the episode where Tommy sleeps over, Chuckie is shown to have an almost obsessive need to keep everything in order as on some level he likely is trying to help take the pressure off of his struggling, depressed single father. The more he learns to take care of himself, the less his father HAS to.

Hell, in the Home Movies episode where they are all drawing their own stories, he's the one who pulls out a chalkboard to start his rather than drawing on Dru's work papers, because he recognises that there are appropriate media to use for that sort of expression and printer paper ain't it.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 25, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also to be honest a lot of the time I liked the adults in Rugrats more than the kids and would probably watch a whole show devoted to them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Also to be honest a lot of the time I liked the adults in Rugrats more than the kids and would probably watch a whole show devoted to them.

Time to bring back the Adult Party Cartoon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Time to bring back the Adult Party Cartoon.

Is this a reference I’m not getting? The only cartoon I know with “Adult Party” in the title is the terrible Ren & Stimpy revival on Spike TV.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1365032675145228290?s=19

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Is this a reference I’m not getting? The only cartoon I know with “Adult Party” in the title is the terrible Ren & Stimpy revival on Spike TV.

Yeah that's it, I didn't want to just post Rugrats: Adult Party Cartoon cause it's not like the adults are the Rugrats. :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It's time once again for my favourite game! Malice or Stupidity: YOU DECIDE!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Honestly it's absolutely the kind of edginess that suits Mortal Kombat so well.

Also, a girl-oriented spinoff of Mortal Kombat of all things. Though I kinda wanna see their takes on Sheeva and Sonya. Competitive moms?

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
The character designer for MK Ultra Girls was internet reviewer Pan Pizza from RebelTaxi. He's talked about it a few times without specifically mentioning what it was due to NDA. There was a change in leadership at WB at one point and the new heads didn't like this idea for the Mortal Kombat franchise so they decided to halt production. This made Pan very sad since he became very attached to MK ever since and spent quite some time on the project. He's been having a rough time now that these pics got leaked since people have been attacking him for WB daring to take a normally R-rated series in this direction.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

dungeon cousin posted:

The character designer for MK Ultra Girls was internet reviewer Pan Pizza from RebelTaxi. He's talked about it a few times without specifically mentioning what it was due to NDA. There was a change in leadership at WB at one point and the new heads didn't like this idea for the Mortal Kombat franchise so they decided to halt production. This made Pan very sad since he became very attached to MK ever since and spent quite some time on the project. He's been having a rough time now that these pics got leaked since people have been attacking him for WB daring to take a normally R-rated series in this direction.

I will be honest, Tiny Mileena is kind of adorable.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

dungeon cousin posted:

That awful Thundercats Roar trailer (Not the show itself, that got royaly shafted by that preview) and / or TTG's public image (Replace 'trailer' with 'awful scheduling') has just made WB's name mud for this sort of thing hasn't it?

Not that TR or TTG were R rated properties, of course.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The racial allegory of monsters was in there in every season, but it was always really muddled and confused between things that didn't fit the allegory and then it was confusing what didn't count as monsters just like it would later being a lot of confusion about what counts as magic.

I think the show had a whole lack of planning in general.

I just finished watching Star and I really enjoyed it the whole way through. I can see the last episode getting quite low marks but the only issues I have with the show is "the fritz" and the black stuff in the realm of magic.
Both of them seem to be brought up and forgotten about really quickly. I still don't really know why there was black stuff in the realm of magic.

Also, and this is end of show spoilers, why can ponyhead even still exist without magic? I don't necessarily mind the way it ended but I do feel like it needed more buildup as the final solution to the issues they were having.

I'm a sucker for a good romance though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Taear posted:

I just finished watching Star and I really enjoyed it the whole way through. I can see the last episode getting quite low marks but the only issues I have with the show is "the fritz" and the black stuff in the realm of magic.
Both of them seem to be brought up and forgotten about really quickly. I still don't really know why there was black stuff in the realm of magic.

Also, and this is end of show spoilers, why can ponyhead even still exist without magic? I don't necessarily mind the way it ended but I do feel like it needed more buildup as the final solution to the issues they were having.

I'm a sucker for a good romance though.

One thing I don't think was adequately explained was that the 'magic' that gives the Butterflies their powers and originates from the golden goop dimension is apparently different from the 'magic' that allows various supernatural creatures to exist?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm onto the final season of the Mask cartoon and loved the magician villain, Davina Steelheart. She can play as hard as the Mask can so it's fun to watch them interact with each other, every cartoon antic he pulls she counters with a magic trick of equal impressiveness.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One thing I don't think was adequately explained was that the 'magic' that gives the Butterflies their powers and originates from the golden goop dimension is apparently different from the 'magic' that allows various supernatural creatures to exist?

Yea, it's not a huge deal but I agree!
Like I get Globgor getting big is magic but his existance isn't. But can we still see Tom? I know it doesn't matter tonnes now but I was still curious.

As I said before though I loved the show, bit gutted it's done. I've seen She-ra, gravity falls, steven universe and adventure time and now I've moved on to this Amphibia show that IMDB says is similar but so far it's a lot more child like than the previous shows I guess?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm finding Amphibia's villains to be interesting because they are making better people out of each other, but not to the extent that they'll stop being narcissistic megalomaniacs. Like the Cheeleader has helped the toad warlord treat his people better and as a result he actually has loyal followers now, although fewer, and he's calling out her inability to accept that she's not mad she lost to anne, she's mad that she's lost her as a friend, she's just too pridfeful to admit it to herself. I'm curious how far they'll go with that aspect.

Also on the episode of the Mask where the Mask goes inside Milo to save him from a virus, Doyle really comes into his own. Not only is he able to manipulate the Mask, he also takes control of the situation and uses his own initiative to defeat the virus himself. The Mask kind of finishes him off, but without Doyle he'd have lost. I did not expect that.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 27, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

Like I get Globgor getting big is magic but his existance isn't. But can we still see Tom? I know it doesn't matter tonnes now but I was still curious.

As I said before though I loved the show, bit gutted it's done. I've seen She-ra, gravity falls, steven universe and adventure time and now I've moved on to this Amphibia show that IMDB says is similar but so far it's a lot more child like than the previous shows I guess?

Iirc the writers and/or creator said that some of the supernatural creatures basically have magic in their DNA that doesn't come from the same pool as the one that was destroyed so yeah, Tom can still come and go as it's basically a power his species has.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Iirc the writers and/or creator said that some of the supernatural creatures basically have magic in their DNA that doesn't come from the same pool as the one that was destroyed so yeah, Tom can still come and go as it's basically a power his species has.

That seems reasonable. I think the show needed maybe one or two more seasons to properly deal with what was going on. And maybe do a full sendoff for Ludo since that doesn't really happen.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The difference wasn't really distinguished at all. So when "magic" has to be destroyed because Star has decided it causes more problems than solutions, it's a massive double standard. Monsters and demons are allowed to have supernatural abilities, Mewmans aren't. Ponyhead has an inherent right to exist, Heckapoo and Rhombulus don't. There's still plenty of supernatural threats, but now Mewmans are totally defenseless.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TwoPair posted:

Honestly that just sounds like a huge cop-out on their end rather than admitting that they hosed up with the show's ending

SlothfulCobra posted:

The difference wasn't really distinguished at all. So when "magic" has to be destroyed because Star has decided it causes more problems than solutions, it's a massive double standard. Monsters and demons are allowed to have supernatural abilities, Mewmans aren't. Ponyhead has an inherent right to exist, Heckapoo and Rhombulus don't. There's still plenty of supernatural threats, but now Mewmans are totally defenseless.

There's a reason people have been making jokes about Star having probably committed Multiversal Genocide more or less nonstop since the show ended

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Taear posted:

It seems to me like Amphibia is a show that knows where its going, but is willing to take its time getting there. The very first episode establishes that they're going to look for a way to get Anne home, but they can't do that for a few months until the pass is clear; so that the show can take the time focus on Anne figuring out where she fits in this world and growing as a person.

The show reminds me a little of ATLA in that the first season was very episodic and could sometimes be hit-or-miss, and the quality jumped up with the second.

It does seem slightly less mature than most of the shows you listed (though I'd put it about on par with Gravity Falls). If you're looking for something more tonally similar to She-Ra and Steven Universe, I'd recommend Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts, or Infinity Train.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Speaking of Amphibia, they just released a trailer for season 2b:

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVA/status/1366127880820977676

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like while a lot of cartoons with longrunning plots try to hold themselves up with drama and angst, Amphibia purposefully tries not to be intense. It's very relaxing. I think that's very evident in the relaxing colors and music, but it's most obvious in the sleepy end credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4uUA-GU0aU

Compared to Star vs. Evil or Tangled, that's really making a conscious choice to be subdued. Gravity Falls even used the credits to get in one last gag instead of winding down. And then in Amphibia's season one finale (spoilers, obviously) they pull out of the big intense final fight pretty fast and instead of continuing the intensity when the danger grows, the music slows down and gets bleak to just be a slow, sad moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovUJuL0nYQM

And I guess on top of that, Amphibia seems like it doesn't want to give up its silliness as the ongoing plot grows, so the episodic nature isn't gonna fade like it does with some series.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so i discovered something interesting

it seems Peacock, of all networks, for god knows what reason, actually has the entire series of Savage Dragon up. i didn't think anyone on the planet besides me cared about that show anymore, let alone someone running a streaming service :monocle:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Mr Interweb posted:

it seems Peacock, of all networks, for god knows what reason, actually has the entire series of Savage Dragon up. i didn't think anyone on the planet besides me cared about that show anymore, let alone someone running a streaming service :monocle:

Peacock seems weirdly good for one of those single company streaming services. Its the only one I've kept after the trial week.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mr Interweb posted:

They also have the incredibly obscure Wing Commander cartoon, also from USA Network back when they had cartoons.

And Exosquad, from back in the syndication days.

Turns out giant media conglomerates own a lot of stuff.

Too bad no one has the terrible Mortal Kombat cartoon up anywhere, but at least the terrible Street Fighter cartoon is up at RetroCrush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

The United States posted:

They also have the incredibly obscure Wing Commander cartoon, also from USA Network back when they had cartoons.

Too bad no one has the terrible Mortal Kombat cartoon up anywhere, but at least the terrible Street Fighter cartoon is up at RetroCrush.

The Mortal Kombat cartoon isn't even fun to mock outside "Combat Time!"

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The United States posted:

oddly enough, WC and Exosquad i'm not surprised about, if only because i remember they were part of the original animation collection that hulu had when it first launched. but savage dragon? the best quality videos i saw were uploaded by some rando on youtube and they were horrendous quality.

as far as the MK cartoon, they were all up on youtube up until sometime late last year but then they got removed. dunno which streaming service has the rights to them now.

McTimmy posted:

The Mortal Kombat cartoon isn't even fun to mock outside "Combat Time!"

the series had some cringy dialogue and terrible animation, but i felt it had the potential to be something better if they had a bigger budget. at least the music was bangin' tho.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The Lin Kuei episode was kind of interesting.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

fractalairduct posted:

It does seem slightly less mature than most of the shows you listed (though I'd put it about on par with Gravity Falls). If you're looking for something more tonally similar to She-Ra and Steven Universe, I'd recommend Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts, or Infinity Train.

I've seen both of those. I agree that they're similar, just that they're watched now.
I guess Gravity Falls did feel quite mature to me? Maybe it's because it's got so many weird Lynch references and there's not many kids who're clicking with that

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

McTimmy posted:

The Lin Kuei episode was kind of interesting.

And that one bit where Shao Khan revived (as in created a body around the bones of) Shang Tsung just to bitch slap him and tell him (in as much as TV-Y would allow) that he'd under no uncertain circumstances send him stright back to Hell if he hosed up again.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 14, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m not entirely sure why they thought it was a good idea to turn the game that literally invented the ESRB rating system into a kid’s cartoon (then again, they also did a Rambo cartoon at one point) but from the handful of episodes I watched I at least remember the show taking itself somewhat seriously and sticking to the lore from the games for the most part.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Anyone see the new Pacific Rim cartoon on Netflix? Was better than I expected, although the cg takes some getting use to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Was watching a Steven Universe fusion video and they had some fusions that made me curious about whether some of these fusions actually happened in the cartoon or whether they are fan made art. Like is the Legendary Carbon an actual fusion? If not, it's amazing how much work the fans put into thinking about the possible fusions.