Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ST09 is a lot of fun, with some really memorable performances from Bana, Greenwood and Pegg. The "lens flare" thing is not really that noticeable unless you look for it.

A fun part of it is that they copied Shatner's fighting skill level for Pine's Kirk. He gets punched in the face like 18+ times through the movie. He absolutely does not hold his own, at all in any of the fights. The hero of this film gets loving owned, constantly. Pretty much every time there's a fight (the bar, the mining rig, the end scene on the narada) he's getting schooled until someone saves him. It's honestly worth a rewatch just to take count.

It's kind of the same joke from Lower Decks, just from another direction. Instead of Kirk-Fu being useless, Jack Ransom wrecks poo poo with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Burkion posted:

I don't

What is the point here

Is it some sort of Baltimore joke I'm too Miamian to understand?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I would really like to see Michael Jai White do one of these here superhero movies

Violator
May 15, 2003

Gatts posted:

Somebody explain it to me because I am dumb and I do not get it. My friend is laughing at me.

It’s what the rear end in a top hat doctor says to Clarice in silence of the lambs.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I would really like to see Michael Jai White do one of these here superhero movies

I love Michael Jai White and wouldn't mind it either, even in Spawn he had that raw anger that came through like it would defy hell.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I know this is only in relation to extremely online people, but I feel like the reaction against Marvel fans going googly-eyed over that line is the first time I've seen major pushback to this kind of ridiculously over the top MCU worship.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Is it some sort of Baltimore joke I'm too Miamian to understand?

The overall context (for people sensible enough to stay off twitter) is that the actual line in that shot is something like "grief is just love enduring past death" and someone on twitter posted about how it was the best line ever and everyone else on twitter made fun of them

E: I guess it's a bit lame to be bowled over by that line, but as someone who really loves Batman V Superman I would be throwing stones from a glass house if I made fun of them for it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

The overall context (for people sensible enough to stay off twitter) is that the actual line in that shot is something like "grief is just love enduring past death" and someone on twitter posted about how it was the best line ever and everyone else on twitter made fun of them

E: I guess it's a bit lame to be bowled over by that line, but as someone who really loves Batman V Superman I would be throwing stones from a glass house if I made fun of them for it

I will make fun of them to hell and back for it but I'm also not on twitter

That line is dumb as hell

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

2house2fly posted:

Thank you. I was super, duper lost.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

WandaVision is proof that the Netflix binge model of releasing something at once so everyone talks about it for a week and forgets about it forever if the correct one.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Burkion posted:

What's so dumb about it? Sure it's not especially profound but it's alright for a superhero TV show.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Burkion posted:

I don't

What is the point here

Gatts posted:

Somebody explain it to me because I am dumb and I do not get it. My friend is laughing at me.

https://twitter.com/madhat31/status/1365773588586987522

This was the original tweet (with the actual line from the show). The tweet I linked prior put in a famous line from Silence of the Lambs as a joke.

Necrothatcher posted:

What's so dumb about it? Sure it's not especially profound but it's alright for a superhero TV show.

It's not a bad line in and of itself, but the Marvel sycophants act like it's one of the most well written lines in TV/film history. That's why people are making fun of it.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 1, 2021

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Yeah that's cringe and not very Baltimorean.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

This is the reply that people were dunking on and it also spawned a new copy/paste meme.

https://twitter.com/seven16/status/1365867749574995972?s=21

quote:

I have a degree in Film Directing, I've seen well over 3000 movies, and written 3 screenplays. I've studied Kurosawa, Kubrick, Tarantino, and Scorsese. I saw Wings when they remastered it in 2012 at the TCM Film Festival. I also studied Shakespeare. You don't know me at all.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I was kind of happy with my own gag about that one

https://twitter.com/2house2fly/status/1366096339541651459?s=19

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'll tell that line to Zod's snapped neck.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I can’t be the only one who played a little bit of mass effect and found it extremely generic, boring and clunky right? There was nothing for me to keep playing past the three hour mark.

Also my st09 take is that it’s a glitzy movie that goes fast, it’s slightly dumb and means well but the way they get the crew together is absolutely stupid and you can feel whenever a character is getting it’s hero moment coming a mile away.

Beyond is so much better in that aspect but nobody cared about it so we aren’t getting a new movie with this crew.

This one rules. I know it’s almost a tradition to use the navy seal copypasta but still takes some skill.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Maybe we can abstract this joke 4 or 5 more times so nobody gets it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Mordiceius posted:

I really liked 2009 Star Trek. I was really big into Mass Effect at the time (I mean, who wasn't) and it felt like a really similar vibe. Never ended up seeing the other two, and I think I'm better for it.

I really liked Star Trek 09, found Into Darkness to be an entertaining misfire and thought Beyond was fun but you could sand the IP off it and the movie would still work so I can see why people who are more invested in ST stuff would be put off by it (and the general arc of the NuTrek stuff).

The cast was great though, I wouldn't mind a couple more outings with them but it seems like most if not all of them have moved on.

Burkion posted:

It's a perfectly cromulent line that is capably sold by Paul Bettany who is "wistful, melancholic British guy" personified. MCU fans going apeshit over it is not really surprising, but you'd think they would've turned the trick by now - it's no different than a lot of the humor in the Ant-Man movies working because Paul Rudd is doing his thing, not because it's high comedy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

well why not posted:

ST09 is a lot of fun, with some really memorable performances from Bana, Greenwood and Pegg. The "lens flare" thing is not really that noticeable unless you look for it.

A fun part of it is that they copied Shatner's fighting skill level for Pine's Kirk. He gets punched in the face like 18+ times through the movie. He absolutely does not hold his own, at all in any of the fights. The hero of this film gets loving owned, constantly. Pretty much every time there's a fight (the bar, the mining rig, the end scene on the narada) he's getting schooled until someone saves him. It's honestly worth a rewatch just to take count.

It's kind of the same joke from Lower Decks, just from another direction. Instead of Kirk-Fu being useless, Jack Ransom wrecks poo poo with it.

Lower Decks also made hay with the lens flare references in their "cinematic" episode. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wykudfjTw1Q

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Burkion posted:

Its really not. I didn't know that was what it was referring too but now I do I gotta call some bullshit. The cool thing about movies and art is that you could be in a terrible place mentally, and sad as poo poo, but you're watching something and it knocks you on your rear end with something that isn't really all that deep, but it breaks through to your heart and helps.

If I was dealing with grief right now, that line may have done it. It's decent! It's a nice sentiment.

Let people cry over dumb things.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Crackbone posted:

Maybe we can abstract this joke 4 or 5 more times so nobody gets it.

https://twitter.com/AdequateEmily/s...ingawful.com%2F

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The line ain’t Shakespeare or even a prestige cable show level, but it’s fine, it’s sweet and it works

The hyperbole of the tweet is what’s hilarious. This wasn’t a person caught off guard who teared up at a memory of a loss, it’s someone who acted as if professional screenwriters everywhere would have their mind blown at a pretty simple line

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

MCU fans going apeshit over it is not really surprising, but you'd think they would've turned the trick by now - it's no different than a lot of the humor in the Ant-Man movies working because Paul Rudd is doing his thing, not because it's high comedy.

I have absolutely no doubt that there are plenty of MCU fans who think Ant-Man is a stunningly crafted piece of high comedy.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Guy A. Person posted:

The line ain’t Shakespeare or even a prestige cable show level, but it’s fine, it’s sweet and it works

The hyperbole of the tweet is what’s hilarious. This wasn’t a person caught off guard who teared up at a memory of a loss, it’s someone who acted as if professional screenwriters everywhere would have their mind blown at a pretty simple line
Thats my take on it too. The line works for the situation and it’s nice. The reaction is to the guy saying it’s that greatest bit of dialogue he’s ever heard.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

At first I thought that tweet was making fun of the line as I just skimmed it, and then I reread it and saw 'reverent'.

Reverent.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ant-man isn’t really particularly funny either. they try for jokes but I can’t really remember any of them except the Pena narration scenes. Paul Rudd being shredded is funny but I don’t know if that’s what they were going for.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

well why not posted:

ant-man isn’t really particularly funny either. they try for jokes but I can’t really remember any of them except the Pena narration scenes. Paul Rudd being shredded is funny but I don’t know if that’s what they were going for.

There is one joke/gag in Ant-Man that got a pretty good chuckle out of me. It's when Rudd hastily calls the guy trying to order hot food at a Baskin Robbins an idiot. That line delivery is so pure.

[edit]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugwrUXXQ8go

Yeah, it's still hits me. Heh.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The greatest legacy of the Ant Man films is Gregg Turkington and Tim Heidecker getting bit parts in them solely to fuel a rivalry between them in On Cinema.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Guy A. Person posted:

That's 100% my take too. I'm not watching Wandavision but it seems, by all accounts, somewhere between "fine" and "good." But it's just the thing with so many Marvel/Disney fans where they act like these films/shows are the pinnacle of writing/action/whatever.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

That's 100% my take too. I'm not watching Wandavision but it seems, by all accounts, somewhere between "fine" and "good." But it's just the thing with so many Marvel/Disney fans where they act like these films/shows are the pinnacle of writing/action/whatever.

if all you watch is CW / Marvel / Disney it probably is the best thing you've ever seen

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy A. Person posted:

Well yeah. Everyone on twitter is an idiot of massive proportions.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

When he is fighting yellow jacket inside his daughters room and they derail the toy train got a hearty laugh out of me.

Paul Rudd and Michael Peña rules.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Mat Cauthon posted:

The cast was great though, I wouldn't mind a couple more outings with them but it seems like most if not all of them have moved on.

Still sucks every time I remember what happened to Anton.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Inspector 34 posted:

Still sucks every time I remember what happened to Anton.
Guy was great in every role I'd seen him in.

When Duchovny's film, House of D, came out I managed to snag a seat in the post-show talk back.

He said that the hardest thing was trying to cast someone young that would work, but everyone came up and said "Anton Yelchin! Anton Yelchin, You gotta audition this kid,Anton Yelchin" and yeah, kid was everything he was hyped up to be.

God what a loving terrible way to die.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

well why not posted:

if all you watch is CW / Marvel / Disney it probably is the best thing you've ever seen

I mean, I think one thing that really trips me out is that the first Iron Man film came out just shy of 13 years ago.

I told the story a few months ago about how I was working on a set back in December and one of the PAs would always talk about how great all the Marvel films are (his favorites were Age of Ultron and Civil War). He acted like they were all the pinnacles of the genres they tried emulating. It was fascinating. Then I realized that he was like 22 or something. Meaning that he had been watching MCU films since he was like 10 years old. Suddenly, everything made a lot more sense.

Now, these people who are like 35 and giving the same takes - well, I just have no excuse for them.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

What's this all about, originally? I'm totally lost.

Nevermind.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

well why not posted:

It's kind of like adult Harry Potter freaks, where their entire conception of literature and storytelling is based on a children's book series written by a bigot.

Please, just watch a different movie/read a different book.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

wizardofloneliness posted:

It's kind of like adult Harry Potter freaks, where their entire conception of literature and storytelling is based on a children's book series written by a bigot.

Please, just watch a different movie/read a different book.

With the Potter Heads it's not only that, they only seem to be able to understand politics by quoting Dumbledore or reducing political ideologies to Wizard Houses.

Again, this is a product of being very online (although I actually don't think I met any supporters of hers in the real world, so...) but I feel like every Elizabeth Warren supporter for some reason was super into Harry Potter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Chairman Capone posted:

Again, this is a product of being very online (although I actually don't think I met any supporters of hers in the real world, so...) but I feel like every Elizabeth Warren supporter for some reason was super into Harry Potter.

I know 3 Warren supporters IRL (although to 2 of their credit, they voted for Bernie in the primary after it became clear Warren could not win) and yes, all 3 love Harry fuckin' Potter.