Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

What you need to know about the letter containing a historical rape allegation against a Cabinet Minister (ABC).

Broelman:

"Canberra bubble" was Scott Morrison's catch phrase when reporters were asking about internal politics, then the ABC Four Corners program ran an episode called "Inside the Canberra bubble" about the culture of male senior ministers towards women.

Knight:

Spooner:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I dont know posted:

Ed: Found it.

Also, flying under the radar here is the 1.5 million dollar house they own.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Bors has always had an ironic soft spot for crypto back when he would accept tips in dogecoin. I wonder if he still had any of it during the big push to inflate its worth to $1.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Pigbuster posted:

It's tying a piece or artwork to an etherium address so that you can run back through the blockchain to authenticate that it's "the original". Creating scarcity for a digital image, essentially.

And all it costs is a mere 74 years worth of a person's electricity consumption every time it gets traded.

https://twitter.com/bdebone2/status/1366129197312311300/photo/1

It's one of the most damaging inventions in all of human history so yeah you should probably understand it. It is basically a way to monetize wasting resources, and if left unchecked is going to make a post-scarcity society 100% impossible. That Bors is doing this is extremely disheartening because I assumed he would've understood this.

What is the source of these numbers and/or how are they calculated? Is that per transaction, or?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Evilreaver posted:

What is the source of these numbers and/or how are they calculated? Is that per transaction, or?

Blockchain is otherwise known as a distributed Ledger. every time a transaction takes place in it, the ledger needs to be updated by every other person with the Ledger. In a decentralized system everyone has a ledger. You can see how maybe making millions of packets of online traffic every time a single transaction is made can add up real quick.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yes, but where do THOSE numbers that were provided come from? Does it cost 177k kW hrs per transaction, or for that address, or per year or what?

Further, who is providing those numbers, what site or calculator?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

This is the first thing I found on Google and it's pretty damning and comprehensive.

Edit: this link is for Bitcoin which has a worse index then ethereum which is what they're talking about. But the webapp they're getting this info from pulls its research from this website.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 1, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The second one says it's 270 MWh for 1888 transactions based on some assumption about Gas units, whatever those are.

I'd assume the listed energy is the accumulated cost of whatever subsection of the blockchain constitutes a "key." So those numbers are lifetime costs, but I have no idea how large a fraction of the whole structure the represent.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Help Im Alive posted:

Will I ever need to understand crypto

Do you want to buy Weed and LSD online? If yes, then yes. If no, then no.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

War Wizard posted:

Blockchain is otherwise known as a distributed Ledger. every time a transaction takes place in it, the ledger needs to be updated by every other person with the Ledger. In a decentralized system everyone has a ledger. You can see how maybe making millions of packets of online traffic every time a single transaction is made can add up real quick.

Also, transactions in cryptocurrencies don't get officially accepted until some number of the people "mining" the bitcoins approve a limited number of transactions at the same time they turn in their work -- and the work is having warehouses of computers blasting away guessing solutions to math problems. Bitcoin keeps the rate of problem-solving stable by cranking up the difficulty of the math problems whenever they get solved too quickly, so now it takes the energy output of a small nation just to run the network.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Evilreaver posted:

Yes, but where do THOSE numbers that were provided come from? Does it cost 177k kW hrs per transaction, or for that address, or per year or what?

Further, who is providing those numbers, what site or calculator?

The tl;dr is that Bitcoin is very inefficient because it's not a currency, it's gambling, and the cryptography used to keep the hashes rare and uncontrolled by any one party consumes more power the more people are trying to mine it. Since the price is so high, incredible amounts of energy are wasted on calculating hashes ("mining") while the number of people using the blockchain for anything even hypothetically productive is so low the energy spent per transaction is a hideous crime against humanity.

The calculated numbers aren't based on the transactions themselves, they're based on all the assholes gambling.

Cryptocurrencies need to be entirely banned. They're our hellworld's dumbest technology. Anyone advocating for them is an idiot or a monster, no exceptions.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Bitcoin keeps the rate of problem-solving stable by cranking up the difficulty of the math problems whenever they get solved too quickly, so now it takes the energy output of a small nation just to run the network.

Perfect for The Little Guy to stick it to those financial elites!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Bors deleted it. Anyone save it?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

endlessmonotony posted:

The tl;dr is that Bitcoin is very inefficient because it's not a currency, it's gambling, and the cryptography used to keep the hashes rare and uncontrolled by any one party consumes more power the more people are trying to mine it. Since the price is so high, incredible amounts of energy are wasted on calculating hashes ("mining") while the number of people using the blockchain for anything even hypothetically productive is so low the energy spent per transaction is a hideous crime against humanity.

The calculated numbers aren't based on the transactions themselves, they're based on all the assholes gambling.

Cryptocurrencies need to be entirely banned. They're our hellworld's dumbest technology. Anyone advocating for them is an idiot or a monster, no exceptions.

Am I speaking in riddles or something?

All I want to know is the source of those numbers that are in that picture. Who calculated those numbers? Are those numbers per transaction, per unit of time, or what? How were those numbers reached?

I am fully aware of mechanisms behind Bitcoin I'm just wondering how those numbers in particular were reached. Why is one number 177k and the other 200k; is it because one number is for one address and one is for another? Is that all of the emissions caused by that address in grand total or over a period of time? What period of time if so?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Zesty posted:

Bors deleted it. Anyone save it?

It was the "we should improve society somewhat" "and yet you participate in society. Curious!" panel, and him saying he was doing... something with it. Uploading it to the blockchain I think?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

This! This right here. it's the address linked where it says "Read the article where I explain it all". I hope it answers all your questions because I'm not going to comb through it to confirm the research.

Edit: link didn't copy right.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 1, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Evilreaver posted:

All I want to know is the source of those numbers that are in that picture. Who calculated those numbers? Are those numbers per transaction, per unit of time, or what? How were those numbers reached?

I am fully aware of mechanisms behind Bitcoin I'm just wondering how those numbers in particular were reached. Why is one number 177k and the other 200k; is it because one number is for one address and one is for another? Is that all of the emissions caused by that address in grand total or over a period of time? What period of time if so?

The number shown is the grand total of all transactions for that address over all time. The website seems to not display the transaction breakdowns for NFTs with high activity like the ones seen in the screenshots. You can see what that looks like for an NFT with low activity like this one.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 1, 2021

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Evilreaver posted:

You were asking if the lovely jpegs of... whatever the hell... were costing energy, and the answer is barely because it's the gambling that does, and I'll cut myself off there because nobody needs the retread.

Fortunately, War Wizard also answered the question you wanted an answer for. Good job War Wizard.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

endlessmonotony posted:

You were asking if the lovely jpegs of... whatever the hell... were costing energy, and the answer is barely because it's the gambling that does, and I'll cut myself off there because nobody needs the retread.

Fortunately, War Wizard also answered the question you wanted an answer for. Good job War Wizard.

I was asking what the numbers represented, and how they were calculated. It was Pigbuster that really got the answer that I was looking for. Thanks Pigbuster

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Next level of laziness for celebrity death cartoons. I couldn't think of a cartoon I could be doing instead of the politically inconvenient news of today, so I'll do a pearly gates cartoon for someone with no relevance to my country, who died a month ago, with the excuse his funeral was merely three days ago. "He took a long time to get there"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Johnny Walker posted:

Is a college alumni association a "charity" really?

It sure is in the eyes of the IRS! But, oh no, how could they have forgotten to subtract their sweet, sweet tax deduction ($40,000) from the "Tax" calculation? :ohdear:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yeah, I'm not actually full of sympathy for the financial hardship of someone who donates more to charity than I make in a year.

"Charity."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah just imagine having all that poo poo, including luxuries that most people can't even dream of, and STILL having $7300 leftover, and somehow thinking that's not enough.

:thermidor:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

really, is it a bubble. is that what you've drawn michael, a bubble. it's a good thing you let us all know, about the bubble

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Got Guillotines?

Ted Rall posted:

Assuming the Democrats get their way, and that’s highly unlikely, their proposal for the minimum wage isn’t really for $15 an hour. It’s for $15 an hour eventually, four years or five years from now. And the Democrats seem to be about to give that up as it is. When it comes to not doing anything for the working class, there’s lots of bipartisanship.

First Dog on the Moon: The global climate disaster misinfornado will end up killing way more people than the Texas ice storms

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Got Guillotines?

Ted Rall posted:

Assuming the Democrats get their way, and that’s highly unlikely, their proposal for the minimum wage isn’t really for $15 an hour. It’s for $15 an hour eventually, four years or five years from now. And the Democrats seem to be about to give that up as it is. When it comes to not doing anything for the working class, there’s lots of bipartisanship.

Surely something on the $1.9T stimulus bill do something for the working class.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Didn't read, Not sorry

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Kaza42 posted:

It's a sacred cow

If the sacred cow is full of bull doesn't that kinda undermine his point about sex and gender identity :thunk:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I will never understand bitcoin, even though I want to and I'll also probably never get into it because it's so weird to me that someone can just make up a currency and immediately start trading it and it just sounds like more gambling for the rich.

By popular demand posted:

Didn't read, Not sorry

This is a very bad edit because it takes more of a stance than Stantis ever did so it's immediately obvious as an edit.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The only reason anyone should want to understand bitcoin is to understand how incredibly dumb and wasteful it is, and to be honest the effort isn't worth it when you already know it's incredibly dumb and wasteful.

It's also not really gambling for the rich, it's gambling for the poor attempting to be rich. Or for people wanting to buy illegal things that they can't use their credit card for.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

An insane mind posted:

I will never understand bitcoin, even though I want to and I'll also probably never get into it because it's so weird to me that someone can just make up a currency and immediately start trading it and it just sounds like more gambling for the rich.

This is a very bad edit because it takes more of a stance than Stantis ever did so it's immediately obvious as an edit.

The trick to understanding crypto is understanding it's just as arbitrary as any currency system. It has value because people have mutually agreed it has value. In this case, because of the scarcity of bitcoins and the difficulty in counterfeiting them.

It's a purely speculative bullshit system that only has value because there are people out there okay with paying cash for bitcoins in the hopes that other people down the line will pay even more cash for said bitcoins. It's a networking effect thing. People value it because other people value it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I've said it before and I'll say it again

Bitcoin is tulips but on a computer, and you make a new tulip by burning the next pile of coal in a long line of piles of coal that get bigger and bigger

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Bitcoin is tulips but on a computer, and you make a new tulip by burning the next pile of coal in a long line of piles of coal that get bigger and bigger

It helps that the media doesn't understand it and spread the hype.

Here in Finland, some idiot schmuck was featured in press as a bona fide bitcoin millionaire last August, claiming he's worth 6.6 million euros. Now it turns out that he's just a conman with zero income and deep in debts including being evicted for unpaid rents, he was showing the press the public version of a bitcoin wallet so there's no proof, and he says he owns Bitcoin SV which is a fork of a fork, so essentially worthless. You just can't cash out that much for the highest market price, at that point the course would plummet.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's even stupider because you at least didn't lose access to your tulips while they were in the ground.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Bitcoin is a bunch of dumbs nerds playing pretend rich and telling other dumb nerds playing pretend rich they are rich too. They pass back and forth some Bitcoin and then all agree now they are even more pretend rich. Banks and hedge firms realized this was a great Ponzi scheme and they could play pretend too so now they have bitcoins to inflate their value which lets them borrow real money against it and get even richer. Also it has the side effect of helping to destroy the environment even faster woo

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Pretty sure anyone with enough bitcoins are also paying for publishing on articles titled "Is BiTCoiN ThE CuRrEnCY of the FUTURE?!?!" to drive its own hype.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Bitcoin is a bunch of dumbs nerds playing pretend rich and telling other dumb nerds playing pretend rich they are rich too. They pass back and forth some Bitcoin and then all agree now they are even more pretend rich. Banks and hedge firms realized this was a great Ponzi scheme and they could play pretend too so now they have bitcoins to inflate their value which lets them borrow real money against it and get even richer. Also it has the side effect of helping to destroy the environment even faster woo

And then they add CP to the blockchain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Rishi Sunak's Covid relief budget – Rishi Sunak has indicated that emergency support measures such as the furlough scheme will be extended beyond the end of April in the budget on Wednesday"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Carrie Symonds and Dilyn the dog are running No 10, snipes Dominic Cummings's ally - as PM's new press secretary Allegra Stratton rubbishes wild claims of tensions with Boris Johnson's fiancee, insisting: 'We are all a nest of singing birds'

Evening Standard:

Alarm over delays in border measures as Brazil Covid variant hits UK