Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
android’s security problems are not generally remote exploits, they’re the broken app security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Management posted:

android’s security problems are not generally remote exploits, they’re the broken app security.

while this is undeniably true thats simply the price of freedom :911:

like the freedom to install an older broken version of an app that the developer ignored on the amazon app store or a backdoored version off a chinese app store

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
incredible that they haven't fixed the brilliant Android Auto design decision of diming the map interface showing your directions to pop up a notification about what new song is playing

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

patched android is likely at least as secure as ios, at least exploit prices tilt that way (both browser escapes and full zero-clicks remain more expensive for android than ios).

but then you need to ask yourself if the increased price is due to difficulty/complexity, or because the android userbase on the whole has much worse posture regarding patching so the payload is going to hit a lot more people

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

no, your thinking about it too much. higher number = more value

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

patched android is likely at least as secure as ios, at least exploit prices tilt that way (both browser escapes and full zero-clicks remain more expensive for android than ios).

you have specify that only applies stock android, your oem will do something stupid like mount the filesystem without acl, load unsigned device drivers or add your phone number to the useragent of your browser

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
your operation system is a pile of security holes

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Perplx posted:

add your phone number to the useragent of your browser

i want to imagine you made this up but i can absolutely imagine a carrier doing just doing url.match(/at.+?t/g) as some sort of “account convenience” feature and sending it to any web site with those characters in the url

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mod saas posted:

i want to imagine you made this up but i can absolutely imagine a carrier doing just doing url.match(/at.+?t/g) as some sort of “account convenience” feature and sending it to any web site with those characters in the url

this is an actual thing that happened

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
stadia status update:
https://twitter.com/RerezTV/status/1364006373554585611

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if only anyone could have predicted this

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I can't believe google pulled a google with this google product

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

crepeface posted:

incredible that they haven't fixed the brilliant Android Auto design decision of diming the map interface showing your directions to pop up a notification about what new song is playing

that hasnt been a problem since august. the next track is displayed in the bottom panel temporarily removing the player icon, back, and pause. pressing it leads to the music app

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ThunderousGregariousFlea-mobile.mp4

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

LastInLine posted:

that hasnt been a problem since august. the next track is displayed in the bottom panel temporarily removing the player icon, back, and pause. pressing it leads to the music app

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ThunderousGregariousFlea-mobile.mp4

next they should fix that interface looking like absolute poo poo

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Last Chance posted:

next they should fix that interface looking like absolute poo poo

thats not the interface the user spends most or any of their time in but they actually did that and added wallpaper options anyway so that screen you never see looks great when you go out of your way to view it now

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
stadia could have been good, but it needed a RDR2 level killer app and lol at google spending 5+ years on anything

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Perplx posted:

stadia could have been good,

nope

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

stadia could have been good if it was totally different and wasn’t a google product

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i cant imagine looking at the landscape of game streaming and thinking, "Oh i'll have the one made by the company that shows me ads on the internet"

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Gentle Autist posted:

stadia could have been good if it was totally different and wasn’t a google product

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
bring back sega channel

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Bobby Digital posted:

bring back sega channel

bring back playstation home

there were actually some pretty fun areas... well, only granzella had the pretty fun areas, particularly the spelunker area and the matsuri area

I really wish I had tried the edo period area before the whole thing closed down,

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

oh wow, the eu is fasttracking a law requiring phone manufacturers to do security updates for a legal minimum amount of time. really looking forward to that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's technically secure if the update disables all the radios or just prevents it from booting, right?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

it's technically secure if the update disables all the radios or just prevents it from booting, right?

there'll no doubt be a lot of stupidity to it, but as far as i can tell it is driven by various countries electronic identification systems having to eol a bunch of customers access, so it will likely be defined in terms of what those systems need. nothing whatsoever written yet though afaik.

at minimum i am pretty confident that the slashdot approach of reading the law as literally as possible while playing as dumb as possible will turn out incorrect.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

at minimum i am pretty confident that the slashdot approach of reading the law as literally as possible while playing as dumb as possible will turn out incorrect.

what are jokes?

we just don't know.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

google already does 3 years and samsung just announced 4 years for theirs but this will prob. be the straw that breaks the camels back when it comes to lg and motorola. im not actually sure if moto sells in the eu but really it doesnt get worse than lg for long term support

idk about the chinese oems who sell in the eu

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
timelines should be measured in "time since last offered for sale" imo

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
maybe oems will make less skus now

just checked Samsung, listed over 25 models

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Jabor posted:

timelines should be measured in "time since last offered for sale" imo

This.

I mean, google sold pixel 2 refurbished phones at a year before EOL. $99 for a decent phone but it feels like such a waste of silicon to just keep it around for a single year.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Perplx posted:

maybe oems will make less skus now

just checked Samsung, listed over 25 models

Isn't there like a unique SKU for each major carrier? And given that the base models are the high end Galaxy S, the Galaxy Tab, the J series, and etc, you have to have a variant for some or all of them for specific carriers. Part of that is to make sure the phone has the right chipset and configuration to talk on the right radio bands, I think. But if everyone's using LTE, hopefully that will reduce the number of chipsets.

I could be wrong, of course.

Also, carriers need to stop putting their own crapware on phones.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Google just can not stop loving the chicken that is SD card storage. They're constantly trying to restrict or break that poo poo with every new version of their trash fire OS.

I'd assume that this was a product of their eternal insistence on forcing me to put all my poo poo in their cloud servers so they can continue crawling all the way up my loving rear end in a top hat and selling selling selling selling every bit of private information about me that they can get their hands on but I'm not going to credit them with that level of competence, they're just loving stupid and don't ever plan any of their initiatives out worth poo poo.

gently caress

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
embrace friend :yayclod:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sd cards are garbage and my favorite part of each android version is watching it break them more

pretty sure android 12 is going to require scoped storage which might be the nail in the coffin

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
As an embedded engineer, I hate sdcards with a passion. Apple was 100% correct never to add them to iPhones.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what if we just added storage in a way that could be ejected at any time and also would have entirely random quirks and performance characteristics? i bet that would make for a good end user experience

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i havent used a android in a long time, do you still have to manually janitor what goes on what storage medium?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
oh no removable storage is so hard let's not do it

let's not do anything, it's all just too hard

transferring your files to a new device should involve as much google crawling up my loving rear end in a top hat as possible

64gb should be enough for anyone right? why don't you use the cloud bro?????

also let's pay a 400% markup for internal storage, i particularly like that part

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sapozhnik posted:

oh no removable storage is so hard let's not do it

let's not do anything, it's all just too hard

transferring your files to a new device should involve as much google crawling up my loving rear end in a top hat as possible

64gb should be enough for anyone right? why don't you use the cloud bro?????

also let's pay a 400% markup for internal storage, i particularly like that part

sorry that every product is not designed expressly for your usecase over all others, i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

carry on then posted:

sorry that every product is not designed expressly for your usecase over all others, i guess

this but unironically

yes i am extremely mad