Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I'm not responsible for this image

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

TwoPair posted:

Kathryn Hahn reveals in interview that Agatha just shits wherever and magics it away

She's a bad guy, she doesn't do that second part.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I'm not responsible for this image

why would you deny the beauty of what you've posted.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

theironjef posted:

She's a bad guy, she doesn't do that second part.

Also does not wash her hands after going to the bathroom

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Christ some of you really need subtitles on for everything. The gently caress is this :reject: "No she said *A* Scarlet Witch" bullshit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FilthyImp posted:

Christ some of you really need subtitles on for everything. The gently caress is this :reject: "No she said *A* Scarlet Witch" bullshit.

I'm just trying to get away from the mutant conversation.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

FilthyImp posted:

I acquit!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Abroham Lincoln posted:

why would you deny the beauty of what you've posted.

I don't deny the beauty, I just didn't create the beauty

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

I listened to too much loud music when I was a teenager and I'm losing my hearing, gently caress you lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Same that's why I watch with subtitles on

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

I'm stubborn and prideful and will be like my father, listening to the TV at volumes so loud you can hear it outside the house.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

FilthyImp posted:

Do you think Shannon got stabbed, though?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I have subtitles on everything because of a combination of not having the TV on very loud, basically everything I watch mixing dialogue way too low to begin with, and a refusal to learn to understand what British people are saying most of the time

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Maybe I'm an old too but while I settled on "The" after relistening 3 times to make sure, I can hear why people might have heard "A".

I don't trust captioning though. I'm a slow reader and I'm easily distracted so I end up unable to focus on the action while reading an inaccurate interpretation of words I can hear just fine.

Maybe I'm not old I'm just handicapped.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
How often do you run into inaccurate captions for english language shows? Can't recall the last time I've seen that myself

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I think for English speaking shows on the bigger streaming sites captions are pretty close to perfect.

On non English stuff it can be pretty hit and miss. Amazon Prime stuff can be exceptionally bad in this regard.

I've run into a few official Bluray releases of Non English content that have poor subs as well.

E: must have missed the "English language" part of your post.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 1, 2021

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

site posted:

I have good hearing but I sometimes can't really make out what people are saying or song lyrics so subtitles are a godsend. I assume it's some brain thing. :shobon:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

How often do you run into inaccurate captions for english language shows? Can't recall the last time I've seen that myself

I watch with headphones and captions due to being deaf in one ear and it happens often enough.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Huh, do you find any particular streaming service or studio tends to do that, or is it just random?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Huh, do you find any particular streaming service or studio tends to do that, or is it just random?

Mismatches are usually from using the shooting script to make the subtitles and then there being some amount of ad-lib.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I guess I'll have to pay more attention to subs. I typically leave them on but haven't noticed any glaring mismatches.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

Skwirl posted:

Mismatches are usually from using the shooting script to make the subtitles and then there being some amount of ad-lib.

I've seen both instances of this and instances where it's clearly they've just transcribed it by listening and heard the wrong word or not known a term that was specifically used for that movie/show and doesn't exist otherwise.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sometimes they're also captioned based off a pre-release version that ends up being tweaked a little and the lines change.

One show that I can think of off hand with crazy caption issues is Letterkenny on Crave. Not sure if Hulu uses the same caption set. It usually doesn't account for the character quirks. One character adds S to nearly every second word he says and the captions don't always include those, sometimes in the same sentence. Another character says "Oh my gourd" instead of God and early seasons used "God" but eventually fixed it. All of them say "exposed" instead of "supposed" and it's hit and miss whether they do that or not. Lots of misspellings of hockey related terms too.

I wonder if they caption it based on the script or something and the actors add those in themselves during filming.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 1, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There was an ep of Brooklyn 99 where Jake lies to Boyle, and tells him that he's hanging out with a friend of Amy's named "Ted Crap", but in the subtitles, instead of Ted Crap it read "Ron Weasley".*

*This was on the broadcast subtitles; they seemed to have fixed on the Hulu site.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Skwirl posted:

Sometimes the odd typo sneaks in too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Davros1 posted:

There was an ep of Brooklyn 99 where Jake lies to Boyle, and tells him that he's hanging out with a friend of Amy's named "Ted Crap", but in the subtitles, instead of Ted Crap it read "Ron Weasley".*

*This was on the broadcast subtitles; they seemed to have fixed on the Hulu site.

i guess someone decided they better not run afoul of the billionaire antisemitic transphobe

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm all for dunking on Rowling, but wasn't there a subplot in B99 where Amy was a huge Potter nerd (which, obviously) and Jake got into the books when he went to prison for a year in like... season 4? 5?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I'm all for dunking on Rowling, but wasn't there a subplot in B99 where Amy was a huge Potter nerd (which, obviously) and Jake got into the books when he went to prison for a year in like... season 4? 5?

Jake got into the books before then

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, am I thinking of the fantasy series by fake GRRM that Terry likes?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, am I thinking of the fantasy series by fake GRRM that Terry likes?

Hey that's a little rude. It's called the Kingkiller Chronicles.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/cwsupermanlois/status/1366825980103323648?s=20

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

theironjef posted:

Hey that's a little rude. It's called the Kingkiller Chronicles.

Hey! That's not fair.

Rothfuss is more stealing from Ursula LeGuin. (I actually like Kingkiller, to be fair)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Not surprising in the least given both the combined hype for the premiere and the good reviews.

How many episodes is this season, 13?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I was about to say "what dumb fucks name a town New Carthage" and I found out there's a town in Spain and a province in Guatemala named that.

Edit: Superman & Lois episode 2 is pretty good.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 4, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I was about to say "what dumb fucks name a town New Carthage" and I found out there's a town in Spain and a province in Guatemala named that.

Edit: Superman & Lois episode 2 is pretty good.

It just looks so good, like 4 or 5 levels above previous CW productions. I wonder if there's HBO Max money in there somewhere.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

It just looks so good, like 4 or 5 levels above previous CW productions. I wonder if there's HBO Max money in there somewhere.

Are the CW shows migrating to Max? Thought they all went to Netflix after air...

VVV: Ah, I get it now

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 4, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Are the CW shows migrating to Max? Thought they all went to Netflix after air...

HBOMax is owned by Warner Brothers, as is DC Comics, Netflix probably has a bunch of outstanding contracts for CW shows, but new poo poo like Superman & Lois probably isn't showing up there

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The streaming rights almost certainly played a part in the decision to wind down Black Lightning and Supergirl.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

howe_sam posted:

The streaming rights almost certainly played a part in the decision to wind down Black Lightning and Supergirl.

I think people not watching those shows had a lot to do with it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Melissa Benoist having a baby probably had something to do with the decision as well.