Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why can’t it just be what it is, a bittersweet line from one comic book character trying to comfort another?

People prove themselves day in day out far too dull to make the mental gymnastic leap of going 'one layer out'. Like here, as you say, that might be the perfect line for Vision to Deliver to Wanda. Not Paul Bettany to us the viewer.

"MY DREAM WAS REALLY INTERESTING WHERE..." (and then a bunch of boring poo poo). No, sunshine, you just dreamed that a bunch of boring poo poo was interesting.

"THIS STORY IS RACIST!" No, the character 'in' the story is racist. Look how the character is treated.

etc etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaebril
Dec 18, 2016
I'm reasonably sure that the MCU time travel as described in Endgame follows the decades old Gruenwald time travel rules seen here:

https://marvelcontinuum.wordpress.com/time-travel/

Which is how it works in the comics multiverse. It has to, I think, if we'd like to allow 616 and the MCU to be part of the same multiverse.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The tl;dr version of time travel is:

Terminator/Back to the Future: Time Paradoxes can exist.

Endgame: Time Paradoxes can't exist.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah the Thanos thing is a bit of a hole, I can see that, but otherwise the film plays by its own logic very well, I feel. There's really no other spot where I think "the only way to explain this is via a divergent timeline." Peggy and Steve could have kept their stuff on the downlow after the 70s (presumably where he went back to)...
Which would suggest that Steve either had to spend ~40 years with Peggy without ever telling her that SHIELD, her life's work, had been secretly a Hydra front for most of that time...
or Peggy spent ~40 years knowing that SHIELD was really Hydra, but had to let it happen and pretend she didn't know for the rest of her life.

Either way, awkward.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The tl;dr version of time travel is:

Terminator/Back to the Future: Time Paradoxes can exist.

Endgame: Time Paradoxes can't exist.

But Tony said Ant Man turning into a baby was a paradox!

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Time is a flat circle, dummies. It's a wheel. You must ascend yourself to remove yourself from the disc.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

pik_d posted:

At 1 minute 30 seconds it says "Salem, Massachusetts 1693"

Salem, Massachusetts 1693
There were witches in the forest,
Tell me where were thee?
You were sittin' home watchin' your TV
While I was participating in some witchery
First they accused me of magic I can't afford
Dark arts and evil incantations, they said "no more"
With blue magic flashin', they aimed and fired
Then I sucked them witches dry, their plan backfired
Next shot that hit, my mother said to stop
It only took one to trick make that wiccan drop
Finally I snatched that brooch, takeaway
Where do you think I got this magic that you're seeing today?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Robot Hobo posted:

Which would suggest that Steve either had to spend ~40 years with Peggy without ever telling her that SHIELD, her life's work, had been secretly a Hydra front for most of that time...
or Peggy spent ~40 years knowing that SHIELD was really Hydra, but had to let it happen and pretend she didn't know for the rest of her life.

Either way, awkward.
Oh yeah you're not wrong, but I'm saying they could have done it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Robot Hobo posted:

Either way, awkward.

Without digging into the gritty details of TIME LAW, its entirely possible to reconcile that whole thing as a Predestination Paradox. Steve was actually there living his life with Peggy in the past the whole time, and even with his knowledge of the future and SHIELD being co-opted by Hydra everything they might have done to stop them failed because we already saw that it didn't succeed.

The only hole in the theory would be that Peggy acted like Steve had been gone that whole time even after he came back and found her old, and that can be covered by the dementia.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

Without digging into the gritty details of TIME LAW, its entirely possible to reconcile that whole thing as a Predestination Paradox. Steve was actually there living his life with Peggy in the past the whole time, and even with his knowledge of the future and SHIELD being co-opted by Hydra everything they might have done to stop them failed because we already saw that it didn't succeed.
Also this. It's a good backdoor for a Cap miniseries or something if/when Chris Evans wants to do another run. Bring in the Serpent Society or something charmingly retro, have Steve doing 80s stuff.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Robot Hobo posted:

Either way, awkward.

Yeah, this is the big one for me. With all we know about Steve, he's not going to sit idly by letting atrocities happen so he can enjoy a 40 year vacation.

For what it's worth the directors of Endgame both say changing the past creates branching timelines, and Cap & Peggy had a bunch of Hydra-busting adventures before he grew old and hopped back:

https://collider.com/avengers-endgame-cap-timeline-explained-russo-brothers-answer/

My take was that Ancient One was insisting the Stones be returned to where they came from because they will get used to help people in those new branches (Strange will eventually need the Time Stone to stop Dormammu, for example), not because they needed to magic them away.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

mind the walrus posted:

Also this. It's a good backdoor for a Cap miniseries or something if/when Chris Evans wants to do another run. Bring in the Serpent Society or something charmingly retro, have Steve doing 80s stuff.

Which reminds me that I really need to get around to watching Agent Carter.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
But time is considered completely linearly everywhere else in the film, right until the end where they introduce that bootstrap/predestination thing with Cap always having been Peggy's wife (Prisoner of Azkaban rules). The only way to square that with the idea that 'you can't change the past' is if there was some Prime universe in which Cap goes missing, but he went back in time to marry Peggy which is now timeline B, and we haven't been following the Prime universe at all - we've been following a divergent timeline where Cap arrived in the 50's and married Peggy.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Ravel posted:

But time is considered completely linearly everywhere else in the film, right until the end where they introduce that bootstrap/predestination thing with Cap always having been Peggy's wife (Prisoner of Azkaban rules). The only way to square that with the idea that 'you can't change the past' is if there was some Prime universe in which Cap goes missing, but he went back in time to marry Peggy which is now timeline B, and we haven't been following the Prime universe at all - we've been following a divergent timeline where Cap arrived in the 50's and married Peggy.

Maybe that'll be the twist in Multiverse of Madness: Captain America accidentally splintered the MCU off into a new timeline while returning the stones, and we've not been in the "original," MCU since the moment Cap stepped into the time machine.

Or maybe it'll just come out that even the smartest people in the Universe don't know how Time Travel really works and there were holes in their explanation and its actually all Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey rules

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

For what it's worth the directors of Endgame both say changing the past creates branching timelines, and Cap & Peggy had a bunch of Hydra-busting adventures before he grew old and hopped back:

https://collider.com/avengers-endgame-cap-timeline-explained-russo-brothers-answer/

So Captain America built a second time machine in an alternate timeline and then old Steve Rogers time traveled back to the MCU main universe in a different area, then drove to Tony's house and hid in some bushes for a couple of hours until his young self left and then sat on a bench?

:psyduck:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Firebert posted:

So Captain America built a second time machine in an alternate timeline and then old Steve Rogers time traveled back to the MCU main universe in a different area, then drove to Tony's house and hid in some bushes for a couple of hours until his young self left and then sat on a bench?

He was supposed to come back originally, so he would have still had one charge left to return.

The best thing with any time-travel fiction is to not think about it too much.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Firebert posted:

Why would he need a second time machine? He's wearing one. The whole idea was he was going to need to return to where he originally left from while being somewhere in the past. He just waited a while before that last jump, he could've arrived when everyone else was at Tony's funeral.

It's clunky sure but it's easier to get around than Thanos entering a time portal in 2014 and dying, and then also being around to hunt infinity stones for the next few years. Time is either a single loop or it isn't.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

Or maybe it'll just come out that even the smartest people in the Universe don't know how Time Travel really works and there were holes in their explanation and its actually all Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey rules
It's 100% this. Trying to codify it down for anything other than "it made the most emotional sense for the story they wanted to tell" is going to lead to headaches.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

We did see that the time machines were capable of point to point jumps when Cap and Tony went from Past New York to Past-er New Jersey, so its not unreasonable that he jumped back just... not on the pad.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ravel posted:

Cap basically exists in two places at once for a long period of time, but he understands the weirdness this creates and lives life anonymously with Peggy. It's a linear life, just not in time (which he can do because he lives longer than normal people).

Cap lives life up to getting frozen in ice > gets unfrozen and all of the MCU events up until Endgame happen > goes back in time to live a quiet life with Peggy eventually growing into old man cap at the end of Endgame.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Isn't the idea that the quantum realm exists outside of time and space and all these different possible times are essentially doors Steve could walk through? If that's the case, Old Man Steve would just have to go back in and come out the door he first entered, which he probably marked off somehow anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Merch is appearing.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Is that an arc reactor in his head?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Robot Hobo posted:

Either way, awkward.

It worked better in the comics where it was a double blind and Hydra's takeover was planned by Fury to get Strucker's keys to a powerful artifact given to the 20th century's spy agencies by a time traveling Leonardo Da'Vinci.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

The_Doctor posted:

Merch is appearing.

I want Cataract/Spectral Vision to open is mouth and the voice of James Spader comes out. Then he laser beam eyes everybody in the room.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh my god, cataracts are typically white. :doh:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Marsupial Ape posted:

I want Cataract/Spectral Vision to open is mouth and the voice of James Spader comes out. Then he laser beam eyes everybody in the room.

And then he just flies away, not giving a poo poo about the hex.

I'll be honest, I want this to happen. :lol:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Marsupial Ape posted:

White Vision says nothing as he battles Wanda Vision in intense single combat. Finally, Wanda Vision overpowers him and forces him to the ground.

"You were naive to think an imitation would be sufficient to defeat me."
"Well... I was born yesterday." :

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

The_Doctor posted:

Oh my god, cataracts are typically white. :doh:

If it makes you feel better, I was deep into my 30s before I figured out Namor is just Roman spelled backwards. Imperious Rex!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Marsupial Ape posted:

If it makes you feel better, I was deep into my 30s before I figured out Namor is just Roman spelled backwards. Imperious Rex!

Haha ohhhh poo poo (I'm 35)

I love a good surprise Namor appearance in the comics so if he turns up in one of the upcoming series it'll make my week

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Marsupial Ape posted:

I was also deep in my 30s when I realized that, by which I mean literally this moment. :aaa:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Oh hahahaha you guys.

I'm 40.

:negative:

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
the visions will fight until it becomes clear agatha is the REAL THREAT HERE and then they will perform the fusion dance and become Double Vision

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Cage Kicker posted:

the visions will fight until it becomes clear agatha is the REAL THREAT HERE and then they will perform the fusion dance and become Double Vision

This belt contains all the powers of the 80's Super Group, Foreigner.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Sanguinia posted:

https://youtu.be/zvqWQI11wjY

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Sanguinia posted:

Wanda is Hot Blooded

Hayward is Cold as Ice

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

Wanda is Hot Blooded

Hayward is Cold as Ice

Hayward is playing Head Games.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

The_Doctor posted: