Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wish I had dumped all of my NSH premarket when it was at 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

Wish I had dumped all of my NSH premarket when it was at 12

:same:

I still got out with profit, just not as much. I supposed I could have held on a little longer to see if it jumped more but oh well.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I'm starting to hate all this press SPACs are getting, the easy money 10.20->13 trips are going to be far less frequent and more often than not we're going to get really horrible rumors based on pure stupidity and guessery.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

thats not candy posted:

i cant monitor my account during market hours anymore, so i set sells on the dozen spacs im holding but only at 25%. i think 50% might be too optimistic right now but who knows.

vector popped ~20% this morning on news it might get rocketlab

To devil's advocate? myself here, if you look at VACQ (Vector) they were at 10.25 on Friday and the high for the day was 15.15 on that rocketlab news...so maybe 50% is right :v: (edit - alright look I'm a bit slow this morning, obviously that's not a full 50% - damnit me)

Would have been a close one though, my thesis is somewhat like if I miss a full 50% but could then, for example sell at 35% gain (VACQ currently) versus setting a 25% and missing some of the potential upswing. But like how do you pick the percentage for all spacs in this current market and do you end up bag holding. And by YOU I mean ME. Maybe 50% is too greedy.

related edit: maybe I should do 40%!?!?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
50% is too greedy

so is 40%

you wait for that every time and you're going to hold some bags, maybe lots of them

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Yea we have had two today, and maybe one of them hit 50% if you timed everything perfectly, but the other (NSH) only hit 8-12%. And those 5-15% bumps are going to be way more common than the 50s

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

50% is too greedy

so is 40%

you wait for that every time and you're going to hold some bags, maybe lots of them

To clarify I'm not meaning only ever selling a SPAC that hits that percentage, but just setting overnight limit orders for that percentage incase there is a pop when I'm asleep. For example if I wake up tomorrow and something I own has announced a DA and it's gone up 12-20% because it's a meh/ok acquisition target then I would just put in a new market sell order and cancel the old limit order.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

50% is too greedy

so is 40%

If you're treating them as bank accounts / money market (this is my strategy), anything above like 2-3% is bonkers. I make 2-3 exception for stuff above $11-12, otherwise most of my cost basis is around $10.25.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
That's a very smart strategy, and you're almost immune to market corrections.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

movax posted:

If you're treating them as bank accounts / money market (this is my strategy), anything above like 2-3% is bonkers. I make 2-3 exception for stuff above $11-12, otherwise most of my cost basis is around $10.25.

My Ally savings went from 2% to 0.1% a year.

Friendship ended with online savings account.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

That's a very smart strategy, and you're almost immune to market corrections.

It's a decent counter to mostly losing at options trading!

Rolo posted:

My Ally savings went from 2% to 0.1% a year.

Friendship ended with online savings account.

I am in a continually tug of war between watching my emergency funds basically lose value to inflation (but remain very liquid) vs. throwing them into SPACs / short-term ETFs, and then have a 3-5 day delay in liquidity.

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

movax posted:

It's a decent counter to mostly losing at options trading!

I am in a continually tug of war between watching my emergency funds basically lose value to inflation (but remain very liquid) vs. throwing them into SPACs / short-term ETFs, and then have a 3-5 day delay in liquidity.

:same:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

movax posted:

I split mine up a bit. Having immediate transfers between savings and checking is important to me so I’ll always keep some emergency funding sitting in there so it can do nothing.

Also GIK is moving. Anything happen?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Fellow SWBKU holders, looks like you can now split units effective today. Warrants are currently trading at a chunky premium around $4.

Switchback also just filed an S1 on their third SPAC SWBTU also targeting the energy/sustainability space. I don't see it trading on Fidelity yet, but could be a bullish signal about a potential LOI on SWBK.

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
Y'all think we're still in for some sort of pop on SCVX?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Of course. There's been no material news. All we can do is wait.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

NSH down all the way from 12 at open to 11 now lol. Guess nobody likes this satellite company

e: Should I get out of the rest of my position or hope for it to creep back up tomorrow?

e2: next time i'm holding at DA i'll sell the whole thing premarket

e3: ended up closing everything out at exactly 11 right before close except for one share out of curiosity so i can keep an eye on it

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 1, 2021

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

FistEnergy posted:

Of course. There's been no material news. All we can do is wait.

Cool well I've got my fingers AND my toes crossed

movax
Aug 30, 2008

OP / FE -- curious why you're like THBR over ACEV? My engineering hat on, Indie Semi is nothing compared to Achronix in terms of actual products available, but even for Achronix, too much of their revenue is one customer. They gave up on the whole clock-less FPGA thing, but with my (newer, not as experienced) finance / business-y hat on, there are no programmable logic vendors left to eat besides Lattice (and they can't go foreign because of CFIUS issues) and Achronix. I don't know if long-term Broadcom or Marvell would make a play to eat them.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

movax posted:

OP / FE -- curious why you're like THBR over ACEV? My engineering hat on, Indie Semi is nothing compared to Achronix in terms of actual products available, but even for Achronix, too much of their revenue is one customer. They gave up on the whole clock-less FPGA thing, but with my (newer, not as experienced) finance / business-y hat on, there are no programmable logic vendors left to eat besides Lattice (and they can't go foreign because of CFIUS issues) and Achronix. I don't know if long-term Broadcom or Marvell would make a play to eat them.

I don't have a preference because I don't have any industry experience. ACEV isn't on my list because I bought it below 11 and sold it at 12.50 a few weeks ago. I'm holding THBR because I bought it at 12 expecting it to go up and now I'm bagholding. It remains on my list because it's just below 11 and has a decent chance of popping back up before the merger. It's a situational play for me, not an endorsement of one over the other.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Ok sure why not?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1366514542939828224

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

goddamnit

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

what's that famous quote again? "a rich moron lifts all spacs"?

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

lmao I hate Elon but hopefully this makes me some money?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Elon is going to start a SPAC and it’s going to hit $30 pre split with no news at all. It’s going to get meme’d to the moon.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'll take whatever gains this gets me but god drat I wish Elon Musk would just shut up for a year.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't everytime the fucker runs his mouth it makes me money

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SPAC and ham don't even rhyme

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't everytime the fucker runs his mouth it makes me money

you were in on dogecoin?

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 2, 2021

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Welp, it was nice working with SPACs while it lasted

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Anybody own BITE/U?

It had fallen down to 10.02 today so I scooped up some. I'm going to try the "don't be greedy and just get out at a ~3% gain". Either that or my money is parked until they fail to acquire someone? Is that one way to do it? Set Limit orders to sell when it bumps up to my target gain?

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Shammypants posted:

Welp, it was nice working with SPACs while it lasted

on the other hand, a bunch of uneducated bag holders hopping into SPACs isn't a bad thing

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I was about to ask if an Elon tweet that mentions SPACs would really change anything before I remembered GameStop taking off based on a tweet of an ice cream cone. And all the other insane tweets that have caused movement.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

This is going to be a fun week isn't it

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Power Walrus posted:

Anybody own BITE/U?

It had fallen down to 10.02 today so I scooped up some. I'm going to try the "don't be greedy and just get out at a ~3% gain". Either that or my money is parked until they fail to acquire someone? Is that one way to do it? Set Limit orders to sell when it bumps up to my target gain?

Might as well at least hold it to the unit split? Although drat, May is a ways away.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Trying to get hosed by the SEC in every market category.

It's like a horrible game of monopoly.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

But is it... erotic monopoly?

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
I guess the question is, what are the meme SPAC's that would benefit from an Elon tweet?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Divot posted:

I guess the question is, what are the meme SPAC's that would benefit from an Elon tweet?

are there any blockchain ones?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Divot posted:

CCIV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

lmao good point