Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Users can't read.

:byodood: "Please don't give out this Mac Pro I am returning to just anyone, my office needs it specifically and we purchased it so please keep it allocated to us."
:witch: "OK, sure, no problem. We're mostly a Windows shop, so we'll make sure to keep it reserved for your office."
:byodood: "If you're going to just throw it away I'd prefer my team to keep possession of it."
:witch: "We're...not going to throw it away, we'll keep it on hand and keep a record of the fact that it was special ordered for your office."
:byodood: "OK please don't throw it away, we need it."
:ughh:

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

dragonshardz posted:

Users can't read.

:byodood: "Please don't give out this Mac Pro I am returning to just anyone, my office needs it specifically and we purchased it so please keep it allocated to us."
:witch: "OK, sure, no problem. We're mostly a Windows shop, so we'll make sure to keep it reserved for your office."
:byodood: "If you're going to just throw it away I'd prefer my team to keep possession of it."
:witch: "We're...not going to throw it away, we'll keep it on hand and keep a record of the fact that it was special ordered for your office."

To be followed up with "someone asked for a Mac Pro, so we gave them your laptop."

Weedle
May 31, 2006

dragonshardz posted:

Users can't read.

i have to wonder if this person has previously tangled with an it department that actually did do some stupid poo poo like this. this has the air of someone trying to avoid a repeat of a past event

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Weedle posted:

i have to wonder if this person has previously tangled with an it department that actually did do some stupid poo poo like this. this has the air of someone trying to avoid a repeat of a past event

Yeah, these are the words of someone who learned a hard lesson. Best thing you can do is reassure them and then throw out their laptop.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

KillHour posted:

Edit: Yes, I checked, the org chart was updated Saturday and I'm still on it. My heart isn't cut out for this life.

My manager now slacks me when he adds a 1:1 letting me know no, i'm not getting fired / things aren't bad et c.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Okay, now that I have a ton of PMs coming at me with different asks every day people asking ‘how are you doing’, etc. with nothing else is pissing me the gently caress off

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

luminalflux posted:

My manager now slacks me when he adds a 1:1 letting me know no, i'm not getting fired / things aren't bad et c.

The one time he forgets, you're going to have an actual stroke.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm happy to say that after 2+ years with the new boss I am getting less anxiety when he wants to have a quick call unexpectedly. It can get better folks.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
The last time I was out of town my boss texted me if I was available for a call. When I finally got to messaging him back he replied we will just talk about it Monday.

I called him that minute and he was like “oh no it’s good news about blah” and I’m like motherfucker you know better.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

duffmensch posted:

To be followed up with "someone asked for a Mac Pro, so we gave them your laptop."

:negative:

Weedle posted:

Probably, idc, just fuckin' read what i write

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

dragonshardz posted:

Probably, idc, just fuckin' read what i write

They did read what you wrote, but they don't trust you.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mllaneza posted:

I'm happy to say that after 2+ years with the new boss I am getting less anxiety when he wants to have a quick call unexpectedly. It can get better folks.

It can get worse too.

In my first two jobs, quick calls with managers were praises, promotions and raises. My last two jobs I had to deal with managers who I can only classify as deeply mentally ill and not living in the same reality as I do.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

dragonshardz posted:

Users can't read.

I'm piling on, but I don't care.

This is someone who got hosed over by idiots in the IT department in the past, so don't be an idiot, make sure they keep that Mac Pro allocated to their department.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Wibla posted:

I'm piling on, but I don't care.

This is someone who got hosed over by idiots in the IT department in the past, so don't be an idiot, make sure they keep that Mac Pro allocated to their department.

Yeah no poo poo.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Agrikk posted:

This totally happens to me. I don't care how awesome I'm doing at work, I always feel like I'm about to get called on the carpet every time I get a "let's talk" ping from a boss.

Same here. I know I'm going good work and I have a permanent contract, but last week I looked at my phone in the morning and had a missed call from my boss. And he didn't pick up when I called back. Paired with this past loving hell year, your brain starts imagining stuff real quick.

Turns out there was something emergency-broken in our system and I'm usually the first one online for work, so he called me.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I have a weekly 1:1 call with my boss so I'm rarely surprised by anything anymore.

If he does call an emergency meeting he usually lets me know in Slack what it's in relation to. Though he made me brick it once when he said "Hey, HR want a quick chat with me and you about conduct"

Turned out HR wanted us to investigate someone's slack messages due to racial abuse claims.

I think personally it's more of a "I don't know if my job is suddenly going to become surplus to requirements"

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Interesting, I need to speak to someone on my team - he asked for a decision about something yesterday and I said don't do it. He did it anyway and it led to a critical system being inoperable because the user didn't understand my team members over-engineering (which is why I said no, I also said it's not important and we have other priorities which remain not done, sigh!)

it feels like a 'we need to have a chat moment' but he had to take his wife to hospital suddenly today - I mean I was just going to wait until next time I saw him to ask him what happened, I feel like you'd never send an 'we need a chat' email in this situation - saying that, we both have to go into the office so we see each other regularly anyway. Maybe this is particularly a WFH issue if people don't pick up the phone (which managers should be doing!)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

dragonshardz posted:

Users can't read.

Most reassuring thing you could have done for the user here is probably put a sticker (a real one, not a post-it that would fall off next time you pick up the machine) on it, in a conspicuous place, with a note of date, name, department, and a ticket number reference.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

nielsm posted:

Most reassuring thing you could have done for the user here is probably put a sticker (a real one, not a post-it that would fall off next time you pick up the machine) on it, in a conspicuous place, with a note of date, name, department, and a ticket number reference.

Could also send the user an email every quarter or so and say 'hey we have this laptop assigned to you sat here doing nothing, is that ok, do you need it yet?' and they will realise you are actively looking after it and love you forever

Definitely sounds like a user that has been bitten in the past - I have to admit I've made a habit of writing on a whiteboard who a PC is for as deliveries arrive in so I don't give them out to the wrong people and I am very very stringent on my asset register for exactly this reason.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hey user x, where is that laptop we assigned to you? It hasn't signed into the network in 6 months

"Oh I took it home"

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Well isn't that what laptops are for, remote working?

I'm assuming he is working from the office so doesn't need to use the laptop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Last year:

"Hey Bob can you look into using SSO for these web apps we are going to start using? Managing passwords sucks!"

Sure, we can do it, blah blah.

"Oh crap, it's going to cost us $4/user for each app? gently caress this poo poo"

Today:

"Hey Bob we can get 75% off <popular SSO provider>, lets get this going!"

Uhh aren't we still going to have to pay each app to use SSO?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

Well isn't that what laptops are for, remote working?

I'm assuming he is working from the office so doesn't need to use the laptop.

More like took it home for his kids to use or something. We have remoted into laptops and saw them being used for at-home learning etc.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My favorite tickets are stuff from my manager to "Check to see what groups Joe Smith is in"

Couldn't you have found this in AD in the time you took to write the email?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Maybe he's in something really funny and your manager just wants to share a laugh with you. Don't be rude :mad:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

More like took it home for his kids to use or something. We have remoted into laptops and saw them being used for at-home learning etc.

This isn't that big a deal.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Last year:

"Hey Bob can you look into using SSO for these web apps we are going to start using? Managing passwords sucks!"

Sure, we can do it, blah blah.

"Oh crap, it's going to cost us $4/user for each app? gently caress this poo poo"

Today:

"Hey Bob we can get 75% off <popular SSO provider>, lets get this going!"

Uhh aren't we still going to have to pay each app to use SSO?

$1/user/app is cheaper than $4/user/app.

What's the issue?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

This isn't that big a deal.

bob works in healthcare so sharing a work computer with family might be a hipaa concern. otherwise i totally agree. that's life for working parents now. that laptop might be the only thing in the house with a webcam

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer
Very much not pissing me off:

Powershell 7.0 added "-QuoteFields" and "-UseQuotes" switches to Export-Csv. -UseQuotes even has an "AsNeeded" setting where it only adds quotes to fields that contain the delimiter character.

PowerShell is so loving awesome.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

What's the issue?

No, the SSO service provider is providing the discount. You still have to pay full price to every app you want to use it with.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Weedle posted:

bob works in healthcare so sharing a work computer with family might be a hipaa concern. otherwise i totally agree. that's life for working parents now. that laptop might be the only thing in the house with a webcam

Also, we are a little short on laptops right now. Either way, it's not your employer's job to provide you with a laptop for your kid.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Steakandchips posted:

What's the issue?

The issue isn’t with the identity provider. The issue is with these folks: https://sso.tax

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Also, we are a little short on laptops right now. Either way, it's not your employer's job to provide you with a laptop for your kid.

No it's not, but employers who act like dickheads throughout covid are going to find good people bouncing out as soon as the opportunity arises. Right now is the time for cutting employees slack and not giving a poo poo if their kid is using their laptop to do homework on or whatever.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Thanks Ants posted:

No it's not, but employers who act like dickheads throughout covid are going to find good people bouncing out as soon as the opportunity arises. Right now is the time for cutting employees slack and not giving a poo poo if their kid is using their laptop to do homework on or whatever.

Eh... in so far as it doesn't get you in regulatory trouble. A vector for HIPPA violations is a good reason to be a sticker for the rules there.

But for like the John Q. dude pushing TPS reports sure, as long as the employee realizes that it's not their device, there's no guarantee that little Tommy's science fair project will be backed up/retained, and that corporate IT isn't there to support your personal use.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

So I'm starting to get a bad feeling about some changes at my job.

My team has a new manager/department head. She started last month and seems to be decent. During her first week, I mentioned that when she has a chance, I'd like to go over some stuff and give her an idea of various projects/plans that I had been working on with her predecessor. Nothing really critical or time sensitive, but important enough that I wanted to go over it all in person. One of the big items is the equipment I was going to purchase for this year, but due to various reasons I'm probably going to have to push to next. No big deal, the funding source for it has plenty of cash and can only be used for equipment purchases. But the dollar amount is going to be about $150k for everything (new playout server, switcher, graphics system, etc) so I'd like to tell her early and let her know why.

It's been almost a month now and I still haven't been able to talk to her for more than five minutes. So do I write up everything in an email or remind her that I need to go over projects? Things are starting to come up where I need direction or if I told her what is going on it would cut down on some mis-communication.

Any suggestions?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I dunno, schedule a meeting?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah ask for a meeting and if you get ignored, stick one in her calendar. New people are busy and being pummeled with new stuff left and right. There's no way she remembers.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Yeah ask for a meeting and if you get ignored, stick one in her calendar. New people are busy and being pummeled with new stuff left and right. There's no way she remembers.

Yeah, this. Send a meeting request, and be specific with the agenda for the meeting.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Boss: :kingsley: FW: MS-ISAC CYBERSECURITY ADVISORY - Multiple Vulnerabilities in Google Chrome Could Allow for Arbitrary Code Execution - PATCH: NOW - TLP: WHITE

Me: :rolleyes:

Boss: :kingsley: FW: MS-ISAC CYBERSECURITY ADVISORY - Multiple Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Exchange Server Could Allow for Arbitrary Code Execution - PATCH: NOW - TLP: WHITE

Me: I literally emailed you about that first thing this morning. I was going to install it last night but I fell asleep. I'm going to do it tonight, is that alright?

Boss: Won't that require a reboot?

Me: ....yea?

Boss: Hrmm let me think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Either find a way to push that guy out of the organisation or get a new job