Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The power amplification tech coststo use real lasers on non fusion driven machines can make it attractive but not really for the most part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Yeah, they don't require special gear to use on vehicles and generate less heat in general. They're very marginal on battlemechs with limited weapon hardpoints, though I could still see the argument if claser + ammo creates less heat than a laser + heat sink. They do in TT.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh, I'll save them for when I finally find a vehicle chassis then. Thanks!

Also lol the missiles in the Anubis are larger than any means of actually reloading them

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Keep some medium chem ammo for when you find disco lasers.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

RBA Starblade posted:

Also lol the missiles in the Anubis are larger than any means of actually reloading them
I always wonder where my BEXCE Longbow keeps its 720 LRMs. The lore talks about building mechs from advanced lightweight honeycomb steel and stuff but it must be literally built out of missiles. Two piles of missiles for legs, two racks of missiles for arms and missiles racked up in every inch of free space in the cockpit.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
'Mechs are mostly empty shells surrounding a skeleton wrapped in artificial muscles. Most of their armaments aren't really that big, the weight just comes from armoring, mounting, and loading mechanisms. LRMs make a lot more sense if you picture them as being more like soda cans with an incredibly dense propellant on one end and a shaped charge on the other, they're absolutely not missiles like you'd sling under the wing of a jet fighter.

Those missiles exist too, they're called Arrow IVs (and Thunderbolts).

A human being can carry a launcher capable of firing an SRM, and half-ton BattleArmor can carry a small laser (which weighs a half ton by itself when mounted on a 'Mech), they just get a stripped down version without the 'Mech-sized myomer stabilizers, supports, extra armor, cooling jacket, and etc.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

PoptartsNinja posted:

'Mechs are mostly empty shells surrounding a skeleton wrapped in artificial muscles. Most of their armaments aren't really that big, the weight just comes from armoring, mounting, and loading mechanisms. LRMs make a lot more sense if you picture them as being more like soda cans with an incredibly dense propellant on one end and a shaped charge on the other, they're absolutely not missiles like you'd sling under the wing of a jet fighter.

Those missiles exist too, they're called Arrow IVs (and Thunderbolts).

A human being can carry a launcher capable of firing an SRM, and half-ton BattleArmor can carry a small laser (which weighs a half ton by itself when mounted on a 'Mech), they just get a stripped down version without the 'Mech-sized myomer stabilizers, supports, extra armor, cooling jacket, and etc.

“this scifi property about giant bipedal war robots isn’t unrealistic or fantastical at all! No sir, not like that Japanese robot scifi...”

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Ok Comboomer posted:

“this scifi property about giant bipedal war robots isn’t unrealistic or fantastical at all! No sir, not like that Japanese robot scifi...”

I liked Robotech as a kid, but at some point I realised that all the robot stuff was just window dressing for anime soap operas and Minmei songs.

Khyron was alright.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Unfortunately no one told this to anyone who ever illustrated a battlemech.

https://cfw.sarna.net/wiki/images/7/70/3025_Dervish1.jpg?timestamp=20061012025049

Pictured: 10 missiles that would fit under the wing of a jet fighter with presumedly hundreds more somehow stuffed inside the thing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ok Comboomer posted:

BattleTech was 100% based on Fang of the Sun Dougram, with a splash of other properties thrown in like Votoms, Macross, and Aura Battler Dunbine. Except instead of using Dunbine's giant monster dragon bug muscles to make their robots move, it's artificial muscle fiber instead.

Best Friends posted:

Unfortunately no one told this to anyone who ever illustrated a battlemech.

This is true. BattleTech is full of fun little gently caress-ups. Like someone misunderstanding the Von Luckner tank's LRM pod being rear-mounted instead of front-mounted (but positioned towards the rear of the tank). So most Von Luckners have rear-firing LRMs that is now IIRC in-universe due to a gently caress-up at their automated factory line no one in 3025 could figure out how to fix. Or the artist who drew one too many tanks and had to throw arms and legs on one and call it a BattleMech*.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 28, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

PoptartsNinja posted:

BattleTech was 100% based on Fang of the Sun Dougram, with a splash of other properties thrown in like Votoms, Macross, and Aura Battler Dunbine. Except instead of using Dunbine's giant monster dragon bug muscles to make their robots move, it's artificial muscle fiber instead.

:chanpop: that muscle-dong

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Dunbine is an immensely weird show that's also pretty great provided you're ok with depressing endings.

It's by the creator of Gundam and it gets pretty hosed up. I'm glad Tomino got himself some therapy and mellowed out as he got older.

VVV Nah, that was Dunbine. This is Dougram:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 28, 2021

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Fang of the Bad Dragon

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

That robot has got a cock

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That one guy at the Y who's all: "Hey buddy where's the sauna?"

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

:japan:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Tried my late-game assault lance against a 1-skull Clan mission.

TPK. Whoops...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

imagining how much better Battletech would be if every mech had a giant floppy dong

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's no crotch chainsaw, that's for sure.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ok Comboomer posted:

imagining how much better Battletech would be if every mech had a giant floppy dong

Oops, I dropped my Ultra Condom for my Assault Dong

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ok Comboomer posted:

Every mech looks like it's either a guy in a suit or a dildo with legs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
it jiggles every time you fire a weapon

every step is like THUDTHUDTHUD/flopflopflop

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Dicks

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Battletech: fat stacks of robot dicks

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Is there anyone still holding out on buying this game at this point? If so GOG has it on sale right now. The Mercenary Collection (Battletech Digital Deluxe Edition + All 3 DLCs) for $30.59. That's $59.40 cheaper than normal

https://www.gog.com/game/battletech_mercenary_collection

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
After scratching the Battletech itch, I wanted to enjoy some Mechcommander for the nostalgia. I figure this thread is the best place to ask, does anyone know of a reliable way to play classic Mechcommander in high-res? I tried the Darkest Hour mod, but the campaign missions are modded with ridiculous "improvements". First mission now has a (easily killable) Mad Cat, even worse pathing than the original, and component warehouses with 9x Clan Large Pulses.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Pretty sure that Mad Cat that you could cheese kill with artillery and salvage super early was always around? No idea about other stuff though.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Battletech did have a toyline where all the mechs' weakpoint was the crotch and the tagline was "Hit Em Where it Hurts" so we're almost there.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

lol

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Need a mod to give every portrait and cut scene character that helmet.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

Pretty sure that Mad Cat that you could cheese kill with artillery and salvage super early was always around? No idea about other stuff though.

That's mission 3 or 4, the one in mission 1 is definitely an addition. I doubted myself at first but the ESL text added to the mission briefing kinda confirms it.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Vorenus posted:

That's mission 3 or 4, the one in mission 1 is definitely an addition. I doubted myself at first but the ESL text added to the mission briefing kinda confirms it.

Having had the same itch in the last 6 months or so, yes, exactly this. I believe you're pretty much stuck with Darkest Hour, or find some old hardware and install Windows 95. DH didn't change any of the stock missions except that salvage in the first one, but it injects a ton of other missions into the campaign, most of which are pretty lovely. It is pretty easy to tell which is which from the mission briefing writing, though, so you can do what I did and ignore the extra salvage on mission 1 and then use the mission success cheat to skip the extra bullshit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lockback posted:

The shittier pilots in Mechwarrior 5 wear it

It's one of the few bits of charm in the game lol

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

RBA Starblade posted:

The shittier pilots in Mechwarrior 5 wear it

It's one of the few bits of charm in the game lol

I love how in Mechwarrior 5 every pilot is "Captain So-and-So" instead of just giving them memorable callsigns like literally every other game in the series

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pattonesque posted:

I love how in Mechwarrior 5 every pilot is "Captain So-and-So" instead of just giving them memorable callsigns like literally every other game in the series

I liked how most of their bios ended in "this guy's def going to get shot but he's really cheap" or "this pilot will never matter" lmao

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

RBA Starblade posted:

I liked how most of their bios ended in "this guy's def going to get shot but he's really cheap" or "this pilot will never matter" lmao

"we hard-capped their skills so you will have to fire them at some point because ?????"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Vorenus posted:

After scratching the Battletech itch, I wanted to enjoy some Mechcommander for the nostalgia. I figure this thread is the best place to ask, does anyone know of a reliable way to play classic Mechcommander in high-res? I tried the Darkest Hour mod, but the campaign missions are modded with ridiculous "improvements". First mission now has a (easily killable) Mad Cat, even worse pathing than the original, and component warehouses with 9x Clan Large Pulses.

I remember the fans totally remade Mechcommander 2 as abandonware, but don't know anything about the original.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Lockback posted:

Literally my discord avatar...

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Pattonesque posted:

"we hard-capped their skills so you will have to fire them at some point because ?????"

Like seriously, what in the flying gently caress

They should all be like the cicada dude, and grow their cap over time. Firing all the dudes that have been there since the beginning is the dumbest loving mechanic.

I edited my save without the slightest hint of guilt to bring those dudes up to 10s 9s and 8s, cuz they were my OGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got mech grenade launchers and clan machine guns in BTA and put them on my Firestarter

lol

lmao