Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

redreader posted:

More questions about the giant no-knead dough ball: The instructions say to grab a handful and tear it off. I suspect that's the best option: I tried using an oiled pastry cutter to cut it in half and take half, and it resulted in:
1: untouched risen dough taking 5 quarts of a 6-quart container
2: I cut it in half and take half
3: remaining dough now takes up about 1 quart and never seems to rise again

Does that mean that my cut in half method is resulting in it letting out tons of air? and grabbing it would in fact be better? it's hard to grab the correct amount... can I just grab more if needed and stick it on?

Also when folding a loaf it's like 'fold everything' and then I end up with a tiny piece of dough that's all folded, but I have to stretch it again to properly sit in the loaf pan. I probably need to make the dough bigger than I need it before I fold it, I don't know.

What do you mean it never rises again? If you let it ferment in the fridge for a day or more it needs to warm back up before it will start rising again. I need like 1-2 hours before it’s noticeably active. It should return to activity fairly well, my understanding was that during the fridge fermentation a lot of activity is the enzymes in the flour breaking down some of the starches into sugars, which the yeast will definitely enjoy when it’s warm again. I think this is part of the flavor development from long no-knead doughs, the small amount of sugars add a touch of sweetness.

And as far as shaping, it can be a bit difficult for pan loaves, since handling the dough will cause the gluten to “tense up”, and it will resist further shaping. That’s why it’s way easier to shape a pizza crust if the dough has been resting for a long time, the gluten is in a state where it’s very receptive to shaping without much resistance. For shaping you’ll want to do moves that produce a long loaf to start with rather than trying to stretch out a rounder piece to be elongated, since stretching it out to fit after working the gluten just makes it want to spring back to round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone tried the anova precision oven? can you talk me off this purchase ledge please, my credit card will thank you.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

It seems my sourdough is now cultured:

Still leaning on rye for the starter, but that is yum anyway so who cares.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The Walrus posted:

has anyone tried the anova precision oven? can you talk me off this purchase ledge please, my credit card will thank you.

not personally but i hear nothing but good stuff for bread baking, tbh.

Keetron posted:

It seems my sourdough is now cultured:

Still leaning on rye for the starter, but that is yum anyway so who cares.

that looks great!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Tried a new loaf with 20% Einkorn flour

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Does anyone have any tips about doing a bulk ferment for a sourdough loaf overnight? Is this a thing that is even possible?

My current go-to recipe is to set up my levain at say 10pm, then mix the rest of the ingredients in at about 8am the next day. It takes about 5-7 hours to do the bulk ferment, I can then shape, proof for 2 and then into the oven.

Is it possible through some adjustment/lengthening to get it so the bulk ferment happens overnight, then all I have to do the next day is shape, proof, and bake?

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

mediaphage posted:

whole wheat, because it is a whole wheat (assuming they don't sift it and give you a khorasan-derived white flour, anyway). the gluten may be a little different than what you're used to.

rye is a special case because it has a bunch of enzymes that break down dough structure and often make it loose and sticky no matter the hydration level, for example.

All right, I'll try using it as I would a whole wheat!

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

bradburypancakes posted:

Does anyone have any tips about doing a bulk ferment for a sourdough loaf overnight? Is this a thing that is even possible?

My current go-to recipe is to set up my levain at say 10pm, then mix the rest of the ingredients in at about 8am the next day. It takes about 5-7 hours to do the bulk ferment, I can then shape, proof for 2 and then into the oven.

Is it possible through some adjustment/lengthening to get it so the bulk ferment happens overnight, then all I have to do the next day is shape, proof, and bake?
Yeah, you can do overnight+ bulks in the fridge, see e.g. this King Arthur recipe. But the most common thing you’ll probably see recommended is to do a cold proof where you leave it in the fridge overnight after shaping and lengthen/adjust your timing that way.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bradburypancakes posted:

I do the final prove in the fridge overnight.

Mix at about 1 pm, bulk ferment till about half 5 then pop it in the fridge till the next morning.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Dacap posted:

Finkle??

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Aramoro posted:

I do the final prove in the fridge overnight.

Mix at about 1 pm, bulk ferment till about half 5 then pop it in the fridge till the next morning.

Does “half 5” mean 16:30 or 17:30 in your country/dialect/language?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does “half 5” mean 16:30 or 17:30 in your country/dialect/language?

5:30

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Got it. It could mean either choice in the languages I speak so I always have to clarify 😂.

Bread question: when a recipe calls for sugar, can I just ignore it? One of the reasons why I wanted to start making bread was finding out that everything has sugar or HFCS in it and I’d just like it cut it out completely if possible.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Got it. It could mean either choice in the languages I speak so I always have to clarify 😂.

Bread question: when a recipe calls for sugar, can I just ignore it? One of the reasons why I wanted to start making bread was finding out that everything has sugar or HFCS in it and I’d just like it cut it out completely if possible.

Depends on the loaf. Also, a little sugar in a dough gives the yeasties more to eat.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Yeah at least the recipes I've used, the sugar is mostly to activate the yeast. You do see it in sandwich loaf recipes too, which is probably where you'd be alright ignoring it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So no sugar means longer rise times?

What’s an example of something where the sugar matters for taste? I thought “maybe sticky buns” (disclaimer: I have no idea what those are but they sound sugary) but the recipe I’m seeing uses just 35g of sugar to 361g of flour so the amount seems almost insignificant.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If you are making something like a brioche or cinnamon bun dough you want sugar, otherwise you can prob safely leave it out.

35 g to 350 might not sound like a lot but it's 10 percent by weight. That is a lot of sugar imo.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Also half five is 2:30 imo

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Walrus posted:

Also half five is 2:30 imo

I drive my wife insane because I say things like 'the back of 2' which to me clearly means just after 2 but apparently baffling to folk who didn't grow up here.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

So no sugar means longer rise times?

What’s an example of something where the sugar matters for taste? I thought “maybe sticky buns” (disclaimer: I have no idea what those are but they sound sugary) but the recipe I’m seeing uses just 35g of sugar to 361g of flour so the amount seems almost insignificant.

Think of it kind of like salt. You could be adding only 10g of salt to a big loaf, but if you took the salt out, that bread would taste not great. A lot of enriched breads really lack full flavor if it's all fat and no sugar.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Yeah, for a normal sandwich bread type of thing you might get from a grocery store, the sugar is basically there for flavor reasons. You see it suggested in recipes more for whole wheat loaves because a lot of people don’t really like the bitterness of whole wheat. (Me included but I find sourdough tang really balances it well, so no sugar needed.)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
When I first started making sourdough I wasnt getting great rises but when I made an enriched dough it went hog wild, so now I stir a spoonful of honey in with the water for every loaf. The yeast seems to like it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sugar can be used to boost rise, increase moisture (sugar is hygroscopic), and soften crumb. you may or may not care about any of those things. if you're doing an enriched bread, you could just add some milk powder instead (if you aren't vegan or intolerant). you could also pre-gelatinize à la tangzhongs. i wouldn't bother about sugar for a lean dough, really.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
Bread, without gigantic holes this time. 80/20 whole grain spelt to rye. Came out a little too dark, gonna reduce the temperature next time from 230 to 210 C. Still, I think I'm slowly starting to get the hang of this.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Dacap posted:

Got to the middle for the crumb shot

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Dacap posted:

Got to the middle for the crumb shot

beaut

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

On a roll and made my first Pullman loaf this weekend too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nicely done with all

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Barbelith posted:

Bread, without gigantic holes this time. 80/20 whole grain spelt to rye. Came out a little too dark, gonna reduce the temperature next time from 230 to 210 C. Still, I think I'm slowly starting to get the hang of this.

Looks juicy!
Sure you want to reduce the heat this much? The color looks perfect to me for this kind of bread and 210°C seems a bit low...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ime either will produce a good loaf although if the bottom is a concern you could just move it up a rack in the oven

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Firmly convinced that if I adjust two particular variables in my recipe I'll have the bread I'm hoping for I decided at the last moment that I should instead gently caress around with my preferment because why do things the sensible way

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

mediaphage posted:

ime either will produce a good loaf although if the bottom is a concern you could just move it up a rack in the oven

Yeah the bottom is what really got a bit too crispy. I'm using a cast iron pot because that's what I have available, and the oven is set to convection/circulation (not sure what the English equivalent of "Umluft" would be, the mode with the fan on), so not sure if moving things upward would change anything.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Barbelith posted:

(not sure what the English equivalent of "Umluft" would be, the mode with the fan on)

In British English at least, it would be "fan" lol.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My King Arthur order from the 19th of Feb has been in Harrisburg, PA for about 5 days at this point. And it went from 'you'll get it last friday' to 'hm, part 1 of 2 is in harrisburg, no information on part 2 of 2 of your order'. Did the weather event affect PA too?

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Mr. Squishy posted:

In British English at least, it would be "fan" lol.

Well, that was more straightforward than expected. Cooking and baking jargon is still one of the more difficult things for me as ESL.

German baking jargon is pretty wild in itself though. On my bread journey so far I learned a few new words I hadn't even known existed, like Stückgare, Stockgare, Gärkörbchen or the Brühstück.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Can anyone tell what's going on with this loaf, which is typical of most of my bread these days?

I've been baking sourdoughs once or twice a week since around April of last year and they used to come out pretty consistently like these:

with perfect (for my tastes) crunchy crusts and open crumb. But ever since the weather turned cold (my house sits at around 70F at the moment), I've been turning out one dense, gummy mess after another. Even the crust won't open up properly! I've tried the "warm up the dough in the oven / Instant Pot on Yogurt setting" trick and that does improve it somewhat, but only to what you see in that first picture. Maybe it's not getting warm enough, but I've also had an overproofing disaster while trying to salvage a loaf, so I'm at a loss.

In case it matters, since I like my sourdough bread sour so I tend to do the long, slow ferment in the fridge for 5-7 days, which used to work fine. It's pure white bread flour at 70% hydration; I've tried taking that up to 80% in the Before Times and had success with it, but now it just seems to make matters worse.

I'm still a bread neophyte and having trouble diagnosing what's going on. Does anyone know what's happening?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Barbelith posted:

Yeah the bottom is what really got a bit too crispy. I'm using a cast iron pot because that's what I have available, and the oven is set to convection/circulation (not sure what the English equivalent of "Umluft" would be, the mode with the fan on), so not sure if moving things upward would change anything.
In America at least, yeah, we call them convection ovens.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kestral posted:

Can anyone tell what's going on with this loaf, which is typical of most of my bread these days?

I've been baking sourdoughs once or twice a week since around April of last year and they used to come out pretty consistently like these:

with perfect (for my tastes) crunchy crusts and open crumb. But ever since the weather turned cold (my house sits at around 70F at the moment), I've been turning out one dense, gummy mess after another. Even the crust won't open up properly! I've tried the "warm up the dough in the oven / Instant Pot on Yogurt setting" trick and that does improve it somewhat, but only to what you see in that first picture. Maybe it's not getting warm enough, but I've also had an overproofing disaster while trying to salvage a loaf, so I'm at a loss.

In case it matters, since I like my sourdough bread sour so I tend to do the long, slow ferment in the fridge for 5-7 days, which used to work fine. It's pure white bread flour at 70% hydration; I've tried taking that up to 80% in the Before Times and had success with it, but now it just seems to make matters worse.

I'm still a bread neophyte and having trouble diagnosing what's going on. Does anyone know what's happening?

either an underactive starter or a build up of amylases / proteases that are pre-dissolving some of your flours, is my guess. how long are you letting it proof this time around? what was the "overproofing disaster"? one might be rectified by adding a pinch of commercial yeast when you add your starter - you'll still get all the flavour you want without having to completely rejigger your starter (have the conditions also changed your microbial populations? possibly).

if it's a structure breakdown, you can probably take smaller portions of your starter during feedings or when fermenting your dogh, or use it slightly earlier in the cycle.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Found this while trying to troubleshoot my noncrispy crust. This article has the fewest typos of anything I've seen on the page so far.

https://thebreadguide.com/impress-women-with-your-baking-skills-5-step-guide/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

mediaphage posted:

how long are you letting it proof this time around? what was the "overproofing disaster"?

I’ve tried a bunch of configurations, but the loaf in that picture was proofing for about an hour and a half. Removed from fridge, stretch-and-folds, placed in a warmed (but now turned off) countertop convection oven for 30 minutes, more stretch-and-folds, placed in the oven again while my covered baker heats up in the real oven for about 30 minutes, removed when the chill had been taken off of the whole surface. The overproofing disaster was letting dough sit and proof in my Instant Pot on the Yogurt setting for an hour, which I’d heard was more consistent than the oven – and it may be, but in my case I ended up with dough that was slack and useless, and didn’t so much rise in the oven as solidify in place.

mediaphage posted:

one might be rectified by adding a pinch of commercial yeast when you add your starter - you'll still get all the flavour you want without having to completely rejigger your starter (have the conditions also changed your microbial populations? possibly).

Changing conditions in the starter does seem like a possibility! I had a scare back in January (still well into this period of failed loaves) where the starter began to turn, got that alcohol smell to it, and needed rescuing with emergency feedings.

quote:

if it's a structure breakdown, you can probably take smaller portions of your starter during feedings or when fermenting your dogh, or use it slightly earlier in the cycle.

When you say smaller portions of the starter during feedings, are we talking about keeping less of the previous starter in relation to the flour and water added?