Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
One more that I don’t think was mentioned, Astebreed! Mostly just cause presentation wise it’s insane for what’s essentially still the same gameplay as a standard shmup/shmright.

And Black Bird goes left too so it’s not just a shmright :colbert:

Electromax posted:

I was just coming to recommend Blazing Star.

I'm also curious about Pawarumi, anyone played that one? Seems mechanically Ikaruga-esque.
That’s the shmright on Neo-Geo right? In the back of my head I think there’s another one but never got into any on there to know for sure.

I played Pawarumi once or twice. I think I mainly remember the input lag was horrendous and kinda ruined any possible interest. I’ll try again tonight on a different screen.

Side note on input lag, Gunbird 2 and Dragon Blaze were pretty bad before, but seem fine now? No clue when or how the hell that happened cause last time I remember an update for either it didn’t really help.

And related to that, Capcom Arcade Stadium has issues too. The first update seemed to help but could just be a placebo or getting used to it. Also 99% of my play is Progear so I’m solely basing it off that.

Dip Viscous posted:

Same but Tetris Attack.
New online Tetris Attack when :negative:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm not a shmup person, but I do think the genre is really interesting.

For the fans, how long do you play a game? Do you keep at it until you 1CC it?

What makes one your favorite? Art, game mechanics, music? I'm sure it's a combination but I'd love to hear about what's unique to the genre.
I don’t know how long I’ve played besides Ikaruga way back (on Dreamcast then GameCube) cause it had a timer, I had somewhere over 100 hours. Some others I’ve super gotten into (particularly if I’m able to play on my cab) are probably similar amounts or more.

I play to get as good as I can get I guess? I’ve only 1CCd a few actually, so it’s a two part thing. Max out my progress on a credit, where I’m happy with a 1CC basic clear (vs second loops and such), and go for high score. The raw difficulty makes the former a hard goal on its own, the latter makes a game more engaging beyond the surface level difficulty. So even when I’m pretty good at a game, the first level never becomes too boring.

As for art, mechanics, and music, I guess a combination? Like Progear is goddamn good at all aspects, Ikaruga is legendarily up there (even though its mechanic is super contentious). Mechanics (overall gameplay quality/feel I guess?) would be the primary, but it’s hard to completely separate from the others since a lot that nail that are generally also competent enough at getting the other parts of the package right too. Conversely maybe bad art and music subconsciously ding what should be a good mechanically sound experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

japtor posted:

That’s the shmright on Neo-Geo right? In the back of my head I think there’s another one but never got into any on there to know for sure.

The only other one I've played much of is Pulstar, which is the predecessor to Blazing Star. So similar but a little rougher. Also horizontal.

e: also an ACA title.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Communist Thoughts posted:

nintendo doesnt seem to think switch perfomance is an issue, i do fully anticipate MHR or whatever being a slideshow though

You do realize that they've already released a demo, right? And it runs at a stable 30 fps?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

japtor posted:

I don’t know how long I’ve played besides Ikaruga way back (on Dreamcast then GameCube) cause it had a timer, I had somewhere over 100 hours. Some others I’ve super gotten into (particularly if I’m able to play on my cab) are probably similar amounts or more.

I play to get as good as I can get I guess? I’ve only 1CCd a few actually, so it’s a two part thing. Max out my progress on a credit, where I’m happy with a 1CC basic clear (vs second loops and such), and go for high score. The raw difficulty makes the former a hard goal on its own, the latter makes a game more engaging beyond the surface level difficulty. So even when I’m pretty good at a game, the first level never becomes too boring.

As for art, mechanics, and music, I guess a combination? Like Progear is goddamn good at all aspects, Ikaruga is legendarily up there (even though its mechanic is super contentious). Mechanics (overall gameplay quality/feel I guess?) would be the primary, but it’s hard to completely separate from the others since a lot that nail that are generally also competent enough at getting the other parts of the package right too. Conversely maybe bad art and music subconsciously ding what should be a good mechanically sound experience.

Awesome, thank you so much! I'm going to check out some of the ones in the Capcom Arcade.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I am assuming at this point that Metroid Prime 4, and Bayonetta 3, will be exclusive on whatever next system Nintendo has in development. Breath of the Wild 2, I am betting will work on the current Switch, but will be near unplayable, and its performance on the next Nintendo system will be really good.

Has Nintendo ever done that? I wouldn't know but I always had the impression that they prioritize the games actually working, and will down-scale other things to guarantee that. Was BotW unplayable on the WiiU?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm still laughing about "shmrights" goddamn

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

I said come in! posted:

I am assuming at this point that Metroid Prime 4, and Bayonetta 3, will be exclusive on whatever next system Nintendo has in development. Breath of the Wild 2, I am betting will work on the current Switch, but will be near unplayable, and its performance on the next Nintendo system will be really good.
How do I bet against everything mentioned in this post? I'd like to get rich quick.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Has Nintendo ever done that? I wouldn't know but I always had the impression that they prioritize the games actually working, and will down-scale other things to guarantee that. Was BotW unplayable on the WiiU?

The Switch frame rate is marginally more solid but the Wii U version was fine, not even close to a Cyberpunk situation

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I played through BOTW on Wii U and it ran just fine.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The GameCube version of Twilight Princess was better than the Wii version even

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Electromax posted:

Just got Ghosts 'n Goblins Remastered. Really love the art style... would kill for Capcom to spring for a Tomba remaster/sequel in a similar vein.

I've heard it's really difficult like the old ones, that's what I like to hear.

If you're a big GnG fan and craving more of that gameplay style, Cursed Castilla is very good. It's an arcade stylized game that plays as well as the games it was inspired by, and it has a neat Spanish folklore theme that gives it a bit more of a lasting impression compared to your average Ghosts 'n Ghouls/Goblins look-a-like.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 1, 2021

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I played through BOTW on Wii U and it ran just fine.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I still believe in Bayonetta 3.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
I want to get a Cook Serve Delicious game now that they are on sale. Should I just buy the 3rd one or get the 2nd one?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is there a recommended usb hub I should get for the dock or will this work as well as anything else:

ECHZOVE USB Hub Compatible with Switch, Hub Dock Compatible with Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084ZMGFFG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_3VCAHFMZHMN4K04AT5RA

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Harry Privates posted:

I want to get a Cook Serve Delicious game now that they are on sale. Should I just buy the 3rd one or get the 2nd one?

If you want to test the waters and pay less, 2 is good. If you're all in and want the latest and greatest, 3 improves upon 2 in pretty much all regards. They're both great and there's no real continuity besides the deeper lore so go with your gut.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
nintendo's multiplayer switch games especially (e.g. arms, splatoon 2, smash bros) have quite boring digital foundry videos because they're almost perfectly locked at 60fps. it's something i like about the switch, it's a world where frame rates don't exist

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
I got shitfaced last night and impulse bought Bravely Default II and played for a few minutes and now remember nothing that happened.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Crass Casualty posted:

I got shitfaced last night and impulse bought Bravely Default II and played for a few minutes and now remember nothing that happened.

No, that's right. Nothing happened.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin

Waltzing Along posted:

No, that's right. Nothing happened.

I mean, I think the main dude woke up. There was a woman there. I think he then got out of bed. Technically those are things happening.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Hammer Bro. posted:

That argument is demonstrably false -- I've got hacked themes and something similar to folders (my hacks are pretty old at this point) and it's equally snappy.

There are definitely ways to poorly implement systems which do incur overhead (see apparently every modern UI; this is why I hack my phones), but there are also ways to do it well.

That makes so much sense. From memory: "World Order's gonna set the world on fire!"

Uh-oh. I have one of those controllers. And made the mistake of listening to a music-theory analysis of the soundtrack recently.

Might have to replay some Hollow Knight.

Can you share the music theory analysis?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

TheWorldsaStage posted:

My fiance surprised me and up and bought me a switch yesterday. Not my first Nintendo rodeo, so my only question is how often does splatoon 2 go on sale? I have Aninal Crossing and Mario Kart right now, so I feel like I'm initially set.

Breath of the Wild is basically mandatory, if you haven’t already played it on WiiU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nintendo notoriously keeps their releases close to their chest, Metroid Prime 4 being a significant deviation there, and combined with COVID pretty much setting the entire industry back at least a year at this point, I'd advise patience to be a virtue, and not expect old patterns to hold true.

I know Nintendo likes to typically not announce poo poo more than 6 months out, but honestly at some point I'd like some reassurance that the big titles are coming.

At least I have hope that Splatoon 3, BOTW2, and Metroid Prime 4 are all coming at some point. I hate just assuming that there is a New Super Mario Bros Switch, Mario Kart 9, and whatever other big sequel that releases once per console is in development.

I know COVID hosed with a lot of stuff, but come on

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Their game output was slow before covid anyway, now they have a reason

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I'm still laughing about "shmrights" goddamn

Same. I was lucky to have read the post as no one was in the hall near my office because I burst out laughing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair I don’t think Nintendo has blamed COVID, that’s more a fan rationalization

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I just can't take the term Metroidvania seriously when fully half of the Castlevania games that exist don't qualify as the term that's named after them.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hyrule Warriors Legends is nearly unplayable on a regular 3DS, it was meant to play on the New 3DS. That's the only one that comes to mind though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pretty sure more SOTN-likes exist than classic Castlevanias. There's like 6 just between the GBA/DS.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I think there are like four classics and it’s been like 20 years since the last one

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

So that Crazy Taxi knockoff isn't doing so well in the reviews. $30 is way too high, lol. This game Stonefly is coming to Switch and looks pretty cool. I love chill exploration games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4CJ8XthXm4

I appreciate the landing dot that shows what you're flying over.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Waffle! posted:

So that Crazy Taxi knockoff isn't doing so well in the reviews.

Was afraid of that. What they showed in the trailers/preview only looked like about $10 worth of fun, $20 at the most if it was tight and polished. $30 way too steep.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Rename Metroidvania to Hollowlike.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cartoon Man posted:

Was afraid of that. What they showed in the trailers/preview only looked like about $10 worth of fun, $20 at the most if it was tight and polished. $30 way too steep.

It's ~ $40 usd in Canada :laugh: :byewhore:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Rename Metroidvania to Hollowlike.

Gross and no
The right name is Igavania

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Muk Dumpster posted:

Their game output was slow before covid anyway, now they have a reason

I feel like by eliminating the 3DS/Handheld exclusive line of games we would have all that development effort focused on one system. Or that by taking the time to remaster/re-release stuff for the Switch that the successor wouldn't be that far behind it.

Like it blows my mind that we went Donkey Kong Country 1/2/3 all a year apart. Then 4 years between Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze. Now it's been 7 years and we haven't even had a hint of DKCR3.

Just needed to rant about this and get that out there...

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Cartoon Man posted:

I'm waiting for a sale and that's rare for me. Hell, I could just emulate the GC Crazy Taxi on my Wii U.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hyrule Warriors Legends is nearly unplayable on a regular 3DS, it was meant to play on the New 3DS. That's the only one that comes to mind though.

The entirety of the SNES VC, which is like 10 games, and Xenoblade 3D were only for the New 3DS. Fire Emblem Warriors too and a few others.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Walla posted:

The entirety of the SNES VC, which is like 10 games, and Xenoblade 3D were only for the New 3DS. Fire Emblem Warriors too and a few others.

There were 51 games and only 4 saw retail releases. I know Minecraft was one of them because I had the unfortunate misfortune to be behind someone in the return line trying to return an open copy because it didn't work in her son's 3DS

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Astro7x posted:

I feel like by eliminating the 3DS/Handheld exclusive line of games we would have all that development effort focused on one system. Or that by taking the time to remaster/re-release stuff for the Switch that the successor wouldn't be that far behind it.

Like it blows my mind that we went Donkey Kong Country 1/2/3 all a year apart. Then 4 years between Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze. Now it's been 7 years and we haven't even had a hint of DKCR3.

Just needed to rant about this and get that out there...

Retro spent 4 years carefully crafting the perfect Funky Kong mode for the rerelease of Tropical Freeze and it was time well spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

xedo posted:

Retro spent 4 years carefully crafting the perfect Funky Kong mode for the rerelease of Tropical Freeze and it was time well spent.

TF is still the best switch game until altus releases etrian odyssey