Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
:same:

If I can get by without a car until then, the ioniq looks great, but I need to make a decision soon on whether to pass on the id.4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

:same:

If I can get by without a car until then, the ioniq looks great, but I need to make a decision soon on whether to pass on the id.4

The ID4s are trickling in at dealers here (Sweden). Checked out one today and while I didn't have time to drive it the interior and overall quality feel impressed. Tons of backseat room too. They also had a yellow one sitting on the lot waiting to be delivered.

According to the dealer customers here will start receiving their vehicles around mid-March. They are starting to update ID3s to software 2.1 starting next week so that's apparently done now.

My ID4 is scheduled to be built early March with delivery first week of April.

Here's the one I saw today:

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 1, 2021

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
The local dealer said they're estimated to arrive around the 10th here

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

How dumb of an idea is a used Tesla? I'm thinking about my car options and could see myself buying a 35k-40k car in the next couple of years, but I wouldn't get a Tesla unless I could somehow afford dual motor long range.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

It's a pretty dumb idea since LR AWD 3s haven't depreciated at all. So many folks out there have been waiting 3+ months for their new order only to give up and buy used instead.

Edit: 2018 models with 20k miles are going for $43k in my area, that's only $3k off new.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 1, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have seen some older Model S's in that range as well but am skeptical.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If I get a 2021 model S how hard would it be to convert the steering wheel into something designed for use by a human being

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

If I get a 2021 model S how hard would it be to convert the steering wheel into something designed for use by a human being

If rumors are true, it would simply mean not ticking the option box when you order it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have seen some older Model S's in that range as well but am skeptical.

Some people have success, but just remember that expensive cars have expensive problems, and the cost of the repairs do not lower with the depreciation of the car. You might get a $30k-35k Model S, but once it's out of warranty a drive unit or, god forbid, new battery is gonna suck.

Here's a link to a story about all the repairs needed for a Model X over 400k miles: https://jalopnik.com/this-tesla-model-x-has-driven-over-400-000-miles-here-1841761190. It's honestly not bad, but a lot of the potentially expensive items were covered under warranty, IIRC. (Haven't looked since the story first came out, could be mis-remembering.)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Holding out for a center console joystick version myself

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I want two big metal levers like the steering brake levers on a Sherman tank.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I want to sell my model 3 before it becomes 4 years old, but the charging network will be hard to give up, even here in Norway. A Hyundai or iD3 are high on the list of replacements, depending on what the fabled 2.1 software is like in practice.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Maybe the new Rivian can do this, cause it has quad motors, right? At least if that works how I'm imagining it :P

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

You might have more luck getting that option on the Rivan trucks, because they can supposedly spin in place.

https://youtu.be/yzwM8KE2L3I

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Looks like the cheapest LR AWD Model 3 on cars.com is a 2018 with 22k miles on it for $32k. I don't think anyone is looking at a 3+ month delay in getting one (unless maybe they're in the EU and just missed a shipment). As a new owner I hope they never depreciate, but I think there's just not a lot of used supply yet.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

A quick peek in the TMC Model 3 LR AWD Waiting Room thread reveals to me several American January orders likely not getting their car this month.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

A quick peek in the TMC Model 3 LR AWD Waiting Room thread reveals to me several American January orders likely not getting their car this month.

I was at the mall where the (one of?) the Seattle showrooms is, and they have nothing but Model Ys to test, and only a Model Y in the retail showroom - i.e. no S or X (which is understandable) but also no 3s. I test drove my car there, in 2019, pre Y, and they had every version to test in the lot at that time.

I thought it was odd enough to snap a pic.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Bone Crimes posted:

I was at the mall where the (one of?) the Seattle showrooms is, and they have nothing but Model Ys to test, and only a Model Y in the retail showroom - i.e. no S or X (which is understandable) but also no 3s. I test drove my car there, in 2019, pre Y, and they had every version to test in the lot at that time.

I thought it was odd enough to snap a pic.

Makes sense. They were retooling the S and X manufacturing line and I think there’s some chip shortage so the 3’s got put on hold for a minute as well.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

They're actually makings ones with round wheels but haven't revealed how to actually order them 🙃

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Orvin posted:

You might have more luck getting that option on the Rivan trucks, because they can supposedly spin in place.

https://youtu.be/yzwM8KE2L3I

That's not a supposedly :)

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

borkencode posted:

Looks like the cheapest LR AWD Model 3 on cars.com is a 2018 with 22k miles on it for $32k. I don't think anyone is looking at a 3+ month delay in getting one (unless maybe they're in the EU and just missed a shipment). As a new owner I hope they never depreciate, but I think there's just not a lot of used supply yet.

If Teslas didn't depreciate they would lease a lot better than they currently do. I think the out the door price on my 2018 AWD was $58k, Caravana is offering $32k for it right now with 17k miles. It's pretty much the same depreciation as a BMW 3 series or similar, assuming the 3 series was sold at MSRP.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

I want a dual shock controller like in Men In Black.

No I don't want a modern PS5 controller. I want the dual shock from MiB.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Shut up and take my money

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

DoomTrainPhD posted:

God damnit I want one of these so bad.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Episode I Racer arcade controls or nothing
Is it a car of the future or not

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mercedes: come back to the 90s, kids...

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

This is the first I've seen of the Volvo C40 Recharge. It looks pretty much like the exact midpoint between the Polestar 2 and XC40. I don't hate it, but I don't get why the range is so low on the Volvo platform.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/2/22307699/volvo-c40-recharge-electric-vehicle-ev-specs

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Mercedes: come back to the 90s, kids...

My Mercedes driving wife said “Good for post-shoulder surgery driving.”

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Bandire posted:

This is the first I've seen of the Volvo C40 Recharge. It looks pretty much like the exact midpoint between the Polestar 2 and XC40. I don't hate it, but I don't get why the range is so low on the Volvo platform.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/2/22307699/volvo-c40-recharge-electric-vehicle-ev-specs

backing the math on the XC40 battery size yields an efficiency of 357wh/mi, so the range is low for weight/aero reasons, or they are sandbagging the hell out of it like porsche did with the taycan.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How related are Volvo and Polestar? The Polestar 2 real world efficiency numbers I saw were abysmal, although there's a new update out.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

The dude that was posted earlier released a longer walk-around the Ioniq 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R-dFpvqv50

Really hype on the styling and the specs sounds awesome on paper too, so I really think this might be my next car.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Grim Up North posted:

The dude that was posted earlier released a longer walk-around the Ioniq 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R-dFpvqv50

Really hype on the styling and the specs sounds awesome on paper too, so I really think this might be my next car.

It's really nice. I'm surprised I have heard nothing about a Kia equivalent, are they going to lag behind a bit?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1366806767146008580?s=20

Looks like Tesla is going to be replacing a bunch of sensors for the 3/Y.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

borkencode posted:

oof, and looks like mobile can't do it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

borkencode posted:

Just had mine in for the 50k mile service, and they replaced the HVAC vent fan blend door actuator with the newer version, gratis. (Car is out of bumper-to-bumper coverage.)

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

How related are Volvo and Polestar? The Polestar 2 real world efficiency numbers I saw were abysmal, although there's a new update out.

it's the same powertrain, polestar is another brand spun up by the chinese firm that owns volvo as a testbed of sorts.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Qwijib0 posted:

it's the same powertrain, polestar is another brand spun up by the chinese firm that owns volvo as a testbed of sorts.

I knew it was the same company, but didn't know off the top of my head if they are using the same power train. I did see a Polestar 2 the other day and it looks nice. They had to have driven it about 800 miles to get it from the nearest dealer (there are literally 4 dealers -- 2 in the San Francisco Bay Area, 1 in Los Angeles and 1 in New York). Don't know why they couldn't use Volvo dealers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the dealer experience sucks is mostly why not

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the dealer experience sucks is mostly why not

True but not everyone is hard core enough to fly across the country during a pandemic to check out a car 🤷🏻‍♂️ or even not during a pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Charles posted:

True but not everyone is hard core enough to fly across the country during a pandemic to check out a car

they're gonna open more stores and the vast majority of EVs are sold in the markets they're in

it sucks if you don't live there but like, the ev market in Kansas city is not real strong.